WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Emblem Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (4)

Speed to First Woot:
22m 0.442s
First Sucker:
jonnie08
Last Wooter to Woot:
webdev511
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 38% of Wine Woots
Top 37% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 43% of Wine Woots
Top 29% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 6% first woot
  • 3% second woot
  • 15% < 10 woots
  • 23% < 25 woots
  • 53% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 2% joined today
  • 2% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 12% one year old
  • 83% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 83% bought 1
  • 11% bought 2
  • 6% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

3%
8%
0%
0%
0%
0%
4%
6%
8%
8%
8%
9%
7%
2%
4%
2%
3%
1%
3%
9%
2%
5%
2%
7%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1627 Private Messages Cesare

Emblem Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 4-Pack
$59.99 $̶1̶1̶1̶.̶0̶0̶ 46% off List Price
2008 Emblem Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

$15/btl here at woot absolutely smokes the CT average of $37!

Vintner Voicemail doesn't really tell us much about the wine however, and no CT notes for this vintage.
Beyond the numbers, what is this one like?

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of September 30
Fall foliage is starting. Time to transition from summery whites to toasty reds. Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
October
10/5: Seattle: Distillery Tour and Wine Tasting
Late Oct: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

November
11/2: DFW: Dinner at Eden Please RSVP by Oct 26.
11/29: NoVA/DC #30: Annual Leftovers Feasting

Pending
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

I have five bottles of Emblem cab, but they're 2006 Emblem Oso Vineyard, and the non-vineyard designate 2006 Folio Emblem, but I've yet to open a bottle. This is a good price.

gcas620

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gcas620

good price for a great wine but current vintage is 2010 which might cost a little more

antflies

quality posts: 1 Private Messages antflies

W.E. gives it an 87.

Waiting for a positive comment to pull the trigger.

For $5 a bottle more, I can actually get a Napa Cab I know I like.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
antflies wrote:W.E. gives it an 87.

I found W.E. (Wine Enthusiast) reviews for the 2008 Emblem Rutherford and Oso Vineyard bottlings at 87 points but no reviews for this Napa designated bottling. May want to double check or do you have a link?

Cheers!

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:$15/btl here at woot absolutely smokes the CT average of $37!

Vintner Voicemail doesn't really tell us much about the wine however, and no CT notes.
Beyond the numbers, what is this one like?

There are a few notes in CT for the previous vintages which should give you an overall impression of style and quality.

CT

rwinerr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwinerr

Has to be cheep because no one in NY can buy it
C'mon Woot I have a ton of stuff in check out.
Doesn't this hurt your sales?
Do I have to move to NJ or are they out too?
Other retailers still ship to us -New York

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:There are a few notes in CT for the previous vintages which should give you an overall impression of style and quality.

I did look at those, and typical of CT they seem rather scattered and inconsistent. Some claim sweet, others tannic and yet others smooth. No mention of this at all on Emblem and that's rather surprising. Given it's an '08, even at this price I'm going to have to hold until some info from known palates appears, or perhaps some better info from the winery than what was in the voicemail. Nice sounding blend, but with a pretty high pH. Were those 18 months in all new, or what mix of old/new?

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rwinerr wrote:Has to be cheep because no one in NY can buy it
C'mon Woot I have a ton of stuff in check out.
Doesn't this hurt your sales?
Do I have to move to NJ or are they out too?
Other retailers still ship to us -New York

Sorry for the problems. This thread should help explain things.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Winedavid39

quality posts: 202 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

gcas620 wrote:good price for a great wine but current vintage is 2010 which might cost a little more

QPR is popping on this one.

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
Winedavid39 wrote:QPR is popping on this one.

You just had to say that.
Tempting!

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
bsevern wrote:I have five bottles of Emblem cab, but they're 2006 Emblem Oso Vineyard, and the non-vineyard designate 2006 Folio Emblem, but I've yet to open a bottle. This is a good price.

Split?

rjquillin

Winedavid39 wrote:QPR is popping on this one.

Since there don't seem to be any bottles in the wild, do tell us more.
Take one for the group, pull a cork and shill a bit, but with details,
or make Neil do it! It's noon.

CT

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

I love a good cab at a great price(Raised by Wolves, Unbridled, etc..)

Woot has been good to me in this regard.

However, would really like to hear from the winery or someone who has actually had the wine before taking the plunge.

Anyone.......anyone...., Bueller??

Is it broke or just fractured?

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
rjquillin wrote:Since there don't seem to be any bottles in the wild, do tell us more.
Take one for the group, pull a cork and shill a bit, but with details,
or make Neil do it! It's noon.

What he said.... +1

hiten900

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hiten900

It's unusual that there are no tasting notes from any wooters and a whole work day has passed on the east coast. Have they moved to greener pastures en-mass ? Difficult to buy with no comments!

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

I am not sure if I have had this vintage, but the Emblem is a nice every day drinker, especially at this price point. I have a 7-8-9 Oso Vertical going! IIRC I had this with a steak panini from down the street at the tasting room and it was DELICIOUS!

Neal K Bharadwaj

emblemnvwines

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emblemnvwines
antflies wrote:W.E. gives it an 87.

This 2008 Emblem Napa Valley Cabernet is priced at a bargain price but sourced from vineyards that demand a much higher price tag. Rutherford, Atlas Peak, Wooden Valley and even Oso vineyard contributed grapes for this vintage.

emblemnvwines

bsevern wrote:What he said.... +1

This Emblem Napa Valley Cabernet is a great example of the cabernets that put Napa Valley on the dinner table. It is a blend of Hillside and Valley fruit, with a varietal blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. And - at a great price.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
emblemnvwines wrote:This Emblem Napa Valley Cabernet is a great example of the cabernets that put Napa Valley on the dinner table. It is a blend of Hillside and Valley fruit, with a varietal blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. And - at a great price.

Thanks for jumping in! Can you tell us who you are? Owner? Wine maker? Marketing rep? Paid shill?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

emblemnvwines

rjquillin wrote:I did look at those, and typical of CT they seem rather scattered and inconsistent. Some claim sweet, others tannic and yet others smooth. No mention of this at all on Emblem and that's rather surprising. Given it's an '08, even at this price I'm going to have to hold until some info from known palates appears, or perhaps some better info from the winery than what was in the voicemail. Nice sounding blend, but with a pretty high pH. Were those 18 months in all new, or what mix of old/new?

This wine was a limited production, that has since grown into what you would probably see currently in the market (2010 vintage in a silkscreen bottle). The 2008 went through Malolactic fermentation in barrel and then 18 months aging in New French oak barrels.

emblemnvwines

kylemittskus wrote:Thanks for jumping in! Can you tell us who you are? Owner? Wine maker? Marketing rep? Paid shill?

Marketing - the winemaker was Rob Mondavi Jr, and the wine was made at the Michael Mondavi Family Estate in Napa.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
emblemnvwines wrote:This wine was a limited production, that has since grown into what you would probably see currently in the market (2010 vintage in a silkscreen bottle). The 2008 went through Malolactic fermentation in barrel and then 18 months aging in New French oak barrels.

Your pH numbers seem high (ripe fruit) but your alc. is really reasonable at only 13.5%. Did you remove alcohol? Is the number actually higher but takes advantage of the allowed +/- 0.5%?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

emblemnvwines wrote:The 2008 went through Malolactic fermentation in barrel and then 18 months aging in New French oak barrels.

kylemittskus wrote:Your pH numbers seem high (ripe fruit) but your alc. is really reasonable at only 13.5%. Did you remove alcohol? Is the number actually higher but takes advantage of the allowed +/- 0.5%?

What Kyle said, and ...
Given the 18 months in new oak, can you also comment on oak/tannin expressions. That long even in a neutral toast suggests this is best left for a few more years, at least; but the pH argues otherwise.

CT

emblemnvwines

kylemittskus wrote:Your pH numbers seem high (ripe fruit) but your alc. is really reasonable at only 13.5%. Did you remove alcohol? Is the number actually higher but takes advantage of the allowed +/- 0.5%?

Alcohol analysis was 13.73% and the goal with this wine was to keep the alcohol between 13.5% and 13.8%. Our goal was to produce a balanced wine that delivered on palate and price.

michilli40

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michilli40

Oh come on Woot gods open up for Michigan shipping please!!!! We didn't do anything wrong with all these laws......this is 3 orders now I have had to miss :-(

emblemnvwines

rjquillin wrote:What Kyle said, and ...
Given the 18 months in new oak, can you also comment on oak/tannin expressions. That long even in a neutral toast suggests this is best left for a few more years, at least; but the pH argues otherwise.

The higher pH was intentional because Rob feels that it offers a rounder mouthfeel, as for oak/tannin expression - all I can say is I opened a bottle several weeks ago and it tasted great.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

LIVE TASTING AT THE WCC OFFICES- After all, it's 3PM somewhere... WD & yours truly providing this service....

Deep burgundy color.

Vibrant nose- caught it from a good distance- of plums and cherry cobbler.

On the palate, ripe blackberries and cocoa.. nice mid-palate, smooth yet present tannins. Says WD: over the top QPR IMO.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
neilfindswine wrote:LIVE TASTING AT THE WCC OFFICES- After all, it's 3PM somewhere... WD & yours truly providing this service....

Deep burgundy color.

On the palate, ripe blackberries and cocoa.. nice mid-palate, smooth yet present tannins. Says WD: over the top QPR IMO.

Sounds tasty, hope to see this one again after shipping issues are resolved.

rjquillin

neilfindswine wrote:LIVE TASTING AT THE WCC OFFICES- After all, it's 3PM somewhere... WD & yours truly providing this service....

Deep burgundy color.

So it this mostly about I'm at my peak drink me now fruit, or a candidate to pick up again in a few years?

CT

emblemnvwines

rjquillin wrote:So it this mostly about I'm at my peak drink me now fruit, or a candidate to pick up again in a few years?

I will open it today or up to 5 years from now with confidence. But at this price, not sure it would last 5 years.. I really enjoy this wine, and this brand.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

rjquillin wrote:So it this mostly about I'm at my peak drink me now fruit, or a candidate to pick up again in a few years?

I don't think it's at it's peak. You can lay down with confidence for at least another couple of years.... IMO

Edit: I see the winery said basically the same thing above me.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...