WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What's your favorite kind of wine-bottle opener?
  • 9.3% - Simple corkscrew 175
  • 26.4% - Lever-style corkscrew 498
  • 24.6% - Winged corkscrew 463
  • 6.9% - Electric corkscrew 131
  • 16.2% - Waiter-style corkscrew 306
  • 2% - Pronged opener 37
  • 3.7% - Air-pressure extractor 70
  • 10.9% - I prefer screw-top bottles 205
1885 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

For those who don't know what an "air-pressure extractor" is, you're missing out.

Cork Pops

hoomgar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoomgar

A well placed blow across the top of a rock. If you do it right, no glass shards fall into the bottle.

What? Don't judge me, I know I am not the only one that drinks in a cave!

;)

hoomgar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoomgar
chipgreen wrote:For those who don't know what an "air-pressure extractor" is, you're missing out.

Cork Pops

Great until you find that one defective bottle that blows into a million pieces when pressurized. LOL! No I kid, I'm getting one of these, looks awesome!

mwfielder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwfielder

C'mon, who doesn't like the ease of a screw top? But if I have to pull a cork out, the Rabbit is way easier. I find the air pressure ones don't work the exact moment you are showing it off to friends.

zero, count 'em, zero quality posts...

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington
hoomgar wrote:A well placed blow across the top of a rock. If you do it right, no glass shards fall into the bottle.

What? Don't judge me, I know I am not the only one that drinks in a cave!

;)

Not me...
I use a sword, slicing/smashing through the neck with ease. When drinking, keep your teeth closed. That filters glass just fine.

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284

Real Whine Kinda Sewers just whack the bottle neck on a rock and drink it outa whats left of the bottle.

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

You forgot the Shoe Method.

I'm going to try this at the Morton Arboretum and see if they revoke my membership.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

theother1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theother1

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

Yeah, which one of the selections is the rabbit-style? It's not the simple, winged-style, but it's kinda winged.

bsanf3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsanf3

No sword option.

chipgreen

PocketBrain wrote:Yeah, which one of the selections is the rabbit-style? It's not the simple, winged-style, but it's kinda winged.

Pretty sure that would be the "lever-style corkscrew".

chipgreen

The face-smash method is way manlier than using a sword or a rock but you have to drink it at the same time you're opening it or there's not going to be much left.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Estate wine bottle opener. Mine came with a stand. Wonderful mechanical device, lasted more than 20 years so far.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

I actually used to like the prong style opener - pretty reliable and less mess than a corkscrew, but they don't work well if at all on synthetic corks.

chipgreen

narquespamley wrote:I actually used to like the prong style opener - pretty reliable and less mess than a corkscrew, but they don't work well if at all on synthetic corks.

The prong-style openers are great for opening older bottles with fragile corks.

sinco37375

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sinco37375
chipgreen wrote:Pretty sure that would be the "lever-style corkscrew".

Actually, the lever-style is more of a racheta-ratcheta-ratcheta implement. (Screw in, flip up lever, make "racheta" noise by pressing on said lever until cork is removed). Much more fun than the rabbit.

Jerry559

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jerry559

I voted for lever style but I guess what I meant was hinged or double hinged type:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sWPKGL9lsgg/UYx2DyycwNI/AAAAAAAABuE/bsWs6XARG1w/s1600/Corkscrew+-+waiters.jpg

The rabbit is so bulky to me.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

We have a drawer full of different types of openers, and I've always got a traditional Laguiole opener in my purse or in my car. But the one that I love most is my Alessi Anna G opener. It's the one opener I vividly remember my parents using most while I was growing up; the style, the colours, the whole process/show of using it, and the lovely evenings it represented, left an indelible impression on me. I cannot help but reach for mine when I open a bottle at home. It may not be the best, but it's my favorite.

bryan047

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryan047

I much prefer the waiter-driven corkscrews!

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

Eevie Suicide

CT

lusluckylad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lusluckylad

The screwpull variety rocks ('cause I don't care about pierced corks).

ihayano

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ihayano

the waiter's corkscrew is the where is at.

source: i worked in the tasting room at a winery for a couple years

Boxymoron

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Boxymoron

glad other people are fond of the blade opening process.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rjquillin wrote:Eevie Suicide

+1

FYI, for those wondering, there's a NSFW video showing her opening a wine bottle whilst topless.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.