Cesare

quality posts: 1594 Private Messages Cesare

WineSmith Lodi Cabernet Sauvignon 3-Pack
$69.99 $133.00 47% off List Price
2006 Winesmith Cabernet Sauvignon Lodi, Mokelumne River

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 16 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Nada squada in CT. anyone with notes?

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122

winemaker notes from the woot plus deal: winemaker notes: Here's the scoop on the 2006 Lodi Cab Sauv. I first released this wine in 2010. This wine has often been called the Poor Man's Crucible, because it's so stylistically similar - basically a Pauillac: very solid structure, deep but refined tannins, cassis and blueberry. Part of the reason is it has 9% of the 2006 Crucible in it, which adds quite a bit of stuffing. The rest is Jim Peterson's lovely Cab Sauv from northern Lodi - the core of the Niebaum Coppola Claret and among the best vineyards in Lodi.

After making this blend in November of 2006, I immediately took the wine through a one month course of Phase One MicroOxygenation (see chapter 3 of my book) which has quite counterintuitive effects, stabilizing its structure, fixing color, and augmenting its reductive strength.

Since the 2010 bottling seemed a little undeveloped, I got curious about its potential in wood, and I elected to hold back a few neutral barrels of this wine to see how much age it would take and what would happen. Amazingly, the wine continued to improve and develop layers and nuances until I finally bottled it this summer, after fully 78 months of barrel aging!

The wine is by no means woody. It does have amazing aromatic complexity, and is now less austere than most Pauillacs, more like a Rioja in style. Or you could say its development is similar to what happens to Vintage Port when it is left a few extra years in wood and has some development it can't really get in the bottle. Besides the continuing background of blueberry and cassis that has always constitutes the core aromatic, now we have nuances of dried flowers, bay, cedar, tobacco, Romano and Asian spice around the edges.

I'm so happy I did this experiment, which really shows that challenging a wine early with oxygen really adds to its ageworthiness and potential for development. The wine also shows what great potential Lodi has for making world class Cabernet Sauvignon if a little restraint is employed in the making.

mikefaulk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikefaulk

Hello Everyone, Mike here (Clark's wine making sidekick). Clark is a bit busy today judging the Sonoma County Harvest Fair Competition, but hopefully will have some time to break away and chime in.

Here are some notes on the wine:

This is a luscious wine with lots of dark fruit and some earthiness. Although the wine was aged 78 months in neutral oak, there is not a heavy oak flavor on this wine. Nicely balanced with dark fruit of casis, blueberry, dark plum, along with earthiness from the long-term barrel aging, and refined, structured tanins

After it's initial release in 2010 Clark decided to hold back 6 barrels for further aging... and boy was he glad he did. Get your self some, we promise you will not be disappointed.

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

Very interesting...Very curious. I'm in for a set. Looking forward to trying it! What's the drinking window for this expected to be?

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi
mikefaulk wrote:Hello Everyone, Mike here (Clark's wine making sidekick). Clark is a bit busy today judging the Sonoma County Harvest Fair Competition, but hopefully will have some time to break away and chime in.

This is a luscious wine with lots of dark fruit and some earthiness. Although the wine was aged 78 months in neutral oak, there is not a heavy oak flavor on this wine. Nicely balanced with dark fruit of casis, blueberry, dark plum, along with earthiness from the long-term barrel aging, and refined, structured tanins

After it's initial release in 2010 Clark decided to hold back 6 barrels for further aging... and boy was he glad he did. Get your self some, we promise you will not be disappointed.

With that, I'm in

thelaues

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thelaues
mikefaulk wrote:Hello Everyone, Mike here (Clark's wine making sidekick). Clark is a bit busy today judging the Sonoma County Harvest Fair Competition, but hopefully will have some time to break away and chime in.

PM for you.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Although this is the only current release of his I haven't tried, Clark makes very good wines, and is serious about his craft. I doubt anyone will be disappointed with this deal.

mikefaulk

vaaccess wrote:Very interesting...Very curious. I'm in for a set. Looking forward to trying it! What's the drinking window for this expected to be?

Given the excellent structure and tannins of this wine, it is definitely drinking nicely now and can age for easily another 8+ years

mikefaulk

bsevern wrote:Although this is the only current release of his I haven't tried, Clark makes very good wines, and is serious about his craft. I doubt anyone will be disappointed with this deal.

Well said B

rc70

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rc70

I bought 9 bottles when the wine smith wines were up in july/august , I drank 1 and enjoyed very much - I'm at work and don't have any notes avail but I'm glad I have a stash of these . I would buy again if I was low or had none.

mibuwolf83

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mibuwolf83

Pulled the trigger. In for 1!

winesmith

quality posts: 39 Private Messages winesmith

Hey everybody. Sorry to chime in late. Just got done with the SOnoma Harvest Fair - amazing Zinfandels, and a bevy of 11 Malbecs all stellar. Had no idea Sonoma had such potential for that variety.

What else can I add to what's already been said here? I think to look at a wine that's spent 78 months in neutral oak and is not only "under-oaked" but also still on the uphill side of its development is pretty remarkable. You'll also be amazed what a good Lodi vineyard can do if harvested at proper maturity and handled with sufficient care.