Cesare

quality posts: 1696 Private Messages Cesare

Kent Rasmussen Esoterica 2008 Vermelho Forte 500ml 3-Pack
$49.99 $85.00 41% off List Price
2008 Vermelho Forte 500ml

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Looks interesting. Anybody had this?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Looks interesting. Anybody had this?

I have 6 bottles. But no help since you know I don't open them!

It's Kent, so it should be delicious.

Edit: Notes via Cellar Tracker:

wkdpanda - 89 pts: "The Madeira influence throws some people who don't know what to expect. That sort of sherry, sort of raisin port, with a hint of cocoa. Well done desert wine. Its all in the eye of the beholder, but this will get better with age."

trifecta - 83 points: Shared with a group, received well. Found it too pruny/stewed for my liking. Hoping that it will evolve a bit over time. (I think the 83 was his, group was probably higher)

mschauber - rated 89 points: Thinner than I remembered and a bit more acidic as well. Still a very nice port/forte. The wine looks Crimson colored. The legs are Slow. It smells like a little floral and chocolate covered Blackberry. It tastes like Alcohol/Hot, and Chocolate plus some nondescript spice. The body is Full. The wine has Silky texture. The wine finishes Medium. I'm thinking some air will do this wine good. This glass was right after popping the cork. I'll probably keep my remaining bottles for at least a year or two.

North316 - 91 points: Nose of dark cherry, blackberry a hint of ripe bananas and a touch of pepper. Very pleasant on the nose. Very fruit forward on the initial taste. Taste of cherries, with an almost raisiny or honeylike roundness. Slight peppery (read acidic) heat and warmth of the alcohol beautifully balance out the sweet, tart fruit. A nice complex finish rounds out the experience quite well. This forte is drinking well but should also age beautifully. Looking forward to tasting to this over time. Kent Rasmussen has pleased again.

Others on CT:

92 points: Like chocolate covered raisins.

89 points: Nose: Smells porty - a little raisin and some dates. A little thin on the mouthfeel but the flavor is really good. The date continues onto the palate and there is almost a little cigar tobacco on the finish.

86 points: Prune and raisin dominate the nose (more than I would like, even for a port). On the palate, lots of fruit, but a bit too sweet (again, even for a port). This is pop and pour at room temperature. Will check beck under better conditions. Not bad, and will please many guests, but doesn't compare with even the cheaper genuine vintage ports I've tasted. (I don't have much familiarity with CA "ports".)

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Very, very tempting, if they were 750ML I'd be in.....hmmm.....but on the other hand I know they'll be delicious

pseudogourmet98

MarkDaSpark wrote:I have 6 bottles. But no help since you know I don't open them!

It's Kent, so it should be delicious.

You could just send me some of yours. I'll drink them!

spammie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages spammie

I've had it. Loved it. No tasting notes. Would buy again if I had room.

Nice treat after dinner.

MarkDaSpark

bsevern wrote:Very, very tempting, if they were 750ML I'd be in.....hmmm.....but on the other hand I know they'll be delicious

They're 500ml, so only 250ml less!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

pseudogourmet98 wrote:You could just send me some of yours. I'll drink them!

But you aren't on the Ship To state list!!!

ablickle

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ablickle
spammie wrote:I've had it. Loved it. No tasting notes. Would buy again if I had room.

Nice treat after dinner.

Completely agree - except I have room, or at least will find some room somewhere...

Just ordered 6 bottles...

burns72

quality posts: 9 Private Messages burns72

SOB! Just convinced myself that I need to order this and CT is not on the Ship To list! What I really miss are the offerings of Esoterica Late Harvest Viognier, that stuff was awesome! Made the mistak of gifting bottles.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
burns72 wrote:SOB! Just convinced myself that I need to order this and CT is not on the Ship To list! What I really miss are the offerings of Esoterica Late Harvest Viognier, that stuff was awesome! Made the mistak of gifting bottles.

Yeah, that LHV was Nectar of the Gods. This is also very good, although for the same price I preferred Pedroncelli's Four Grapes Port.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson
chipgreen wrote:Yeah, that LHV was Nectar of the Gods. This is also very good, although for the same price I preferred Pedroncelli's Four Grapes Port.

+1

sbrady22

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sbrady22

Well, since I can't get wine shipped to the great state of Alabama, some good cheese would be wonderful....just sayin'.

sneefy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sneefy
chipgreen wrote:Yeah, that LHV was Nectar of the Gods. This is also very good

+2 The LHV was one of the best dessert wines I've ever had.

This stuff is very very tasty. It has nice chocolately notes and is well balanced. I'd get more if I didn't already have 6 bottles of it in the basement. If you're on the fence, jump off and get this.

svwindom

quality posts: 12 Private Messages svwindom

You have convinced me. In for 2. Er, 6.

I have to say the port(ish) I have bought through wine.woot has all been phenom.

inkwench

quality posts: 1 Private Messages inkwench
sbrady22 wrote:Well, since I can't get wine shipped to the great state of Alabama, some good cheese would be wonderful....just sayin'.

I have no room for more wine and I have 9 bottles on the way.

As NC is pretty much always on the ship-to list and I really can't buy more wine, I'm with you--cheese, please! [grin]

In inverse and not complete order. Rinfrescante. Pepper Bridge. Saxon Brown. Monkey Prize. Vina Robles. Ty Caton Tytanium (always!). Roshambo. Polyphemus. Donati Family. Poizon. Montinore. Kent Rasumussen. Mumm Napa. Boss Monster. Iron Horse. Albino Rhino. White Zeppelin, Buttonwood Farm, 8-Bit, Ty Caton Racchus, Twas!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:Yeah, that LHV was Nectar of the Gods. This is also very good, although for the same price I preferred Pedroncelli's Four Grapes Port.

I preferred this over the Four Grapes, as my CT note above aludes to. This is also why I have 12 bottles stashed away in my cooler.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:-2

I preferred this over the Four Grapes, as my CT note above aludes to. This is also why I have 12 bottles stashed away in my cooler.

you only get -1

nathanbsmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith

I'm bitter bitter bitter. I would have purchased Wellington Victory Reserve, Wellington Zin, Renwood Syrah, Renwood zin, Geyser Peak merlot and esoterica forte. Stupid stupid stupid legislative BS... And yes, I've read the all the threads and I've written my Tennessee representatives but that doesn't change the fact that I cannot buy wine from woot.

😡

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

I'm quite fond of this stuff. I've only had one bottle, it was a little hot, but I like that in my port-styled wines as I drink them during the cold months.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

pseudogourmet98

MarkDaSpark wrote:But you aren't on the Ship To state list!!!

Ah, but I am!

Speed to First Woot:4m 17.115s
First Sucker:keiop36
Last Wooter to Woot:pseudogourmet98

You must have more stuck in the mud legislators than I.

burns72

quality posts: 9 Private Messages burns72

Absoutely, I was lucky enough to order a case of the 4 Grapes from local wine shop. The gave me a "deal" on the case and 10% of case discount. That was an awesome deal. That is going to be my alt choice for this, going to call local store for more 4 Grapes! Thanks!

MarkDaSpark

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Ah, but I am!

Speed to First Woot:4m 17.115s
First Sucker:keiop36
Last Wooter to Woot:pseudogourmet98

You must have more stuck in the mud legislators than I.

Sorry, I thought you were another Wooter!

And nope, I'z in CA (for now).

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm

Sorry I missed this! I have some from a previous order and everyone loves it!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!