iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Can we keep up the half tradition yet another year? Friday after Thanksgiving -- that's 29-Nov -- for the annual leftovers clean-up meet-up.

Theme: Leftovers. What you drank with Thanksgiving dinner...or wish you had. Oh and bring T-day leftovers, too!

Venue: hershelk's 7:00pm

Attending:
iByron - 2013 Domaine des Terres Dorées Beaujolais Nouveau Cuvée l'Ancien Vieilles Vignes
2012 Graff Piesporter Michelsberg Riesling Spätlese
Something fizzy from Europe
iByron +1 [LeMont]
sukeiasa - Ursa Vineyards Petite Sirah, Iron Horse fizzy
UBlink
CpprCr8
hershelk
onebassplayer
wkdpanda - 2010 Iron Horse Rued Clone Chardonnay
wkdpanda +1 (like how he sneaked that in there...congrats)

Regrets:
aranderson

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa
iByron wrote:Can we keep up the half tradition yet another year? Friday after Thanksgiving -- that's 29-Nov -- for the annual leftovers clean-up meet-up.

Needed: 1) a host and 2) everyone else.

I'm in +1

if i'm around, and it looks that way... i'll be there!

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

The Blinks may be in the hood that weekend.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8

I should be around...

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Is this our 4th annual Leftovers Feast? Or are we up to 5?

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk

I should be around and able to come. I would prefer not to do my place as I will have a full house for Thanksgiving. I think this is 4. I remember attending two and missing one.

CT

sukeiasa

if we're looking for a venue, might not be a bad idea to consider a hotel suite with full kitchen.... such as the element hotel in arundel mills.... government rate for the 600 sq ft executive suite for the day after thanksgivings is 141+tax/fees...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

aranderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

I could possibly host. However, my apartment isn't the largest so it might be a tight squeeze depending on how many people we have.

CT

onebassplayer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages onebassplayer
sukeiasa wrote:if we're looking for a venue, might not be a bad idea to consider a hotel suite with full kitchen.... such as the element hotel in arundel mills.... government rate for the 600 sq ft executive suite for the day after thanksgivings is 141+tax/fees...

Nice! I'll be around!

edit: Mother-in-law flying in tomorrow...officially on lock-down. Sorry!

sukeiasa

just realized that arundel mills might be far for folks to travel...

a quick look for hotels in DC with sutie options include the 600 sq ft sutie at Avenue suites for $109, or the embassy suite which ranges from around 150 for a room with a 10 people dining table to 380 for a 2 bed room and separate living room suite...

any thoughts?

aranderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

Looks like I will not be out of town. :-( My brother has decided to go down to my parent's and mom wants to do a family picture so I guess that means I have to go as well. I hate traveling for Thanksgiving.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

I just got back from VA the other day. Thought I would pop into this thread to mention how much I enjoyed most of the wineries we visited (14 over 4 days). The weather (and the government) refused to cooperate but we still had a good time.

We visited (in chronological order);
Jefferson, Trump, Blenheim, Afton Mountain, Veritas, Barren Ridge, Grace Estate, Stinson, Early Mountain, Barboursville, Flying Fox, King Family, Pollak and Stone Mountain (where we didn't know not to follow the GPS and ended up taking the "scenic" route up the mountain).

We also stopped for dinner one evening at Devil's Backbone Brewery, while the Festy was happening.

iByron

cjsiege wrote:Is this our 4th annual Leftovers Feast? Or are we up to 5?

I'm going to say we're at 5. Twice at Hershels and twice as Steven's.

Still looking for a venue. But we've got time. This has always been more of an informal throw-together.

Your Private WIneaux

sukeiasa

another option is to host a private event at domaine dc, they have a nice tasting room with stemware and decanters...
downside is that it's $300 for 3 hours....

my place is tiny.... my vote is to chip in for a suite.... drunk people can just crash and no worries about cleaning up

hershelk

iByron wrote:I'm going to say we're at 5. Twice at Hershels and twice as Steven's.

Still looking for a venue. But we've got time. This has always been more of an informal throw-together.

I think I only did one, and I know there were two at InShadow's

CT

hershelk

OK. I will agree to do it at my place. That way we can have access to all the leftovers from the prior day. Also the hot tub will still be going as well as the fire table. Probably won't do much prep apart from that, so don't forget to bring stuff.

How about the usual time 7:00pm.

CT

sukeiasa

should we also start the anticipated wine list as well??

iByron

hershelk wrote:OK. I will agree to do it at my place. That way we can have access to all the leftovers from the prior day. Also the hot tub will still be going as well as the fire table. Probably won't do much prep apart from that, so don't forget to bring stuff.

How about the usual time 7:00pm.

Oh excellent!! Thanks, Hershel! If 7 is the best time for you, then 7 it is.

And yes it looks like the wine list should begin.

Your Private WIneaux

sukeiasa

any themes this year??
i've learned to not bring magnums anymore....

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

Black Friday theme is *always* Leftovers. Bring your Turkey Day leftovers and a bottle of wine that goes well with whatever you bring.

If you have no leftovers, bring something that looks like it would have been T'giving leftovers.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Will throw out a maybe for me and my +1. We should be free, but not sure right now. New inlaws and all that, you know?

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

sukeiasa

nothing to get to know the inlaws better than getting them tipsy!

iByron

Good sized group. What are you bringing?

Your Private WIneaux

hershelk

SInce it is at my place, I can fill in to round out what wines are brought. I have a dry Alsacian Muscat that should arrive soon which may be an interesting choice, but I will hold judgement till I see what else will be coming. Also if anyone needs directions, PM me.

CT

wkdpanda

I'm thinking of bringing a nice Chardonnay, that I refuse to open on Thanksgiving. I will not have an aunt dropping ice cubes into good wine!

Iron Horse, 2010 Rued Clone

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

iByron

wkdpanda wrote:I'm thinking of bringing a nice Chardonnay, that I refuse to open on Thanksgiving. I will not have an aunt dropping ice cubes into good wine!

Iron Horse, 2010 Rued Clone

Does this mean you (and +1) are no longer just a "maybe?"

Your Private WIneaux

wkdpanda

iByron wrote:Does this mean you (and +1) are no longer just a "maybe?"

I think we're a yes. We were sitting at dinner yesterday, trying to decide on an app or something to bring. So far, the unique creation is "turkey stuffed stuffing". I'm voting for a more traditional appetizer of some sort. We'll have to see how the experimenting goes this week.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

sukeiasa

i think i'm bring an urza vineyard PS.... and an iron horse bubbly... maybe also a pine ridge merlot? that should be a diverse enough, yet ALL WOOT, selection...

where's inshadows?

hershelk

I may be +2, not sure yet. I will have lots of Turkey left over as I am making a 17 pounder for basically 10 people. Also assume a lot of left over stuffing and cranberry sauce. Wines have so many to choose from including some great Rieslings a Spectator top 100 Pinot from Oregon and a dry Alsatian Muscat as some great candidates but others are possible as well. ALso will have to break into some of the dessert wines. Have a 750 ml Barsac which is a subset control of Sauterne, meaning they can put either Barsac or Sauterne on the label, that also made the Spectator top 100.

CT

iByron

sukeiasa wrote:i think i'm bring an urza vineyard PS.... and an iron horse bubbly... maybe also a pine ridge merlot? that should be a diverse enough, yet ALL WOOT, selection...

where's inshadows?

Can you be more specific? Vintage? Designation?

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

iByron

See you tomorrow!

Well, later today...

Your Private WIneaux

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

Can someone PM the location?

Thanks

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

wkdpanda

Having to substitute a different Chard. The UPS man didn't get my Iron Horse to me on Wednesday - and for some crazy reason, UPS is closed today!

Bringing a Soliste Chardonnay

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

sukeiasa

i would, but i'm at work, and the bottles are at home.... and if i post when i get home, i'll just delay us actually drinking the stuff... so you'll find out later...

oh, i have a +1...

iByron

Thanks to HershelK for hosting another fun "Day After" event. And thanks to everyone for attending.

Pictures of the wines are available at

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10202704066227835.1073741834.1384316579&type=1&l=55a1640d38

It's a public album, so you don't need to be on Facebook to view.

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

hershelk

iByron wrote:Thanks to HershelK for hosting another fun "Day After" event. And thanks to everyone for attending.

Pictures of the wines are available at

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10202704066227835.1073741834.1384316579&type=1&l=55a1640d38

It's a public album, so you don't need to be on Facebook to view.

iByron

Looks like we are missing the Barbera and the dessert wine. I will see if I have pictures.

CT

sukeiasa

Thanks Hershelk for your generosity!!