fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi
ThunderThighs wrote:I could go find an old quality post and remove it. That would take away one from his count.

(When people complain that they don't have a quality post, I'll go to a very, very, very old post and give it a quality post just to drive them nuts trying to find it. LOL)

thats mean,... but I like how your mind works

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Fred! How does this compare to Ardente?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

InFrom wrote:For a worthy Cab he'll stand his ground, against raccoons, monkeys, or SWMBO! (Cue the fredrinaldi theme music...)

....what is the fredrinaldi theme music?

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

fredrinaldi

cmaldoon wrote:Fred! How does this compare to Ardente?

well dam, now your hitting below the belt, It's like asking a parent which kid I love better, Different wines, But I'm not called "Arfredente" for nothing

I bought 8 of todays offering so that must tell ya something.

mibuwolf83

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mibuwolf83
winedrew wrote:Bill is the middle of harvest so he probably won't be able to make it. What would you like to ask him?

How much longer will these wines keep? Are they a 'drink now' or 'hold'?

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

From what I recall, and my notoriously lousy notes...
Which year?
I'll go pull a cork.
...but way younger as I recall.

CT

rjquillin

winedrew wrote:Bill is the middle of harvest so he probably won't be able to make it. What would you like to ask him?

More than one have now asked about cellar longevity and drinking windows.
pH?
Looking at the winery website, it appears at one time there were some tasting notes in pdf format. The links are now dead. Can we get those, or at least their content?

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson

One of these (2004) was popped at the Chicago gathering last Friday. By the time it was opened, too much wine had already been consumed.

So with a little help from karenhynes on this review, we have:
Nice dark burgundy color. Initial aroma of dark fruit, but not sure what at this point, and oak. Pnp tasting profile: dark fruit and peppery. Finish a little harsh. It seemed a little closed at this point. Not decanted but we came back to it an hour later.

2nd tasting: primarily dark fruit (black cherry, blackberry, maybe currants), some spice (pepper, maybe clove or allspice) and the tannins were fairly smooth. KH thought it seemed a bit fruitier than would be expected from a 10 year old cab. We found no semblance of leather or tobacco.

With no idea about pricing, I was guessing that a WW price at $25 would be very reasonable. So the offered price (<$18/bottle) seems like an incredible price for aged cabs.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
neilfindswine wrote:....what is the fredrinaldi theme music?

I dunno, after that Plus sale in his honor you would think there'd be a semi-heroic ditty, something along the lines of "Davy Crockett", crossed with the theme from "Gilligan's Island".

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rjquillin wrote:It's not a -1!?

Are you sure you want to go there? You might end up -1 on those bottles I might or might not have in storage!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

neilfindswine wrote:....what is the fredrinaldi theme music?

Pretty sure it's this one.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

Was this the '03 or the '04?

jmdavidson wrote:One of these was popped at the Chicago gathering last Friday. By the time it was opened, too much wine had already been consumed.

CT

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:Are you sure you want to go there? You might end up -1 on those bottles I might or might not have in storage!

I'd never even miss a bottle, unless it was the Corison. Now a case...

CT

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:I'd never even miss a bottle, unless it was the Corison. Now a case...

What Corison?

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Any west coasters want to split?
I'm in for one set, but would like to add an extra bottle of each.

Twist my arm, why don't you
Or if somebody else wants to dish off a couple bottles I'm happy to help. Can't justify the whole set at the moment, much as I'd love to.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

jmdavidson

rjquillin wrote:Was this the '03 or the '04?

Sorry. Fixed it...2004

rjquillin

Never one to turn down a good reason to pull a cork. It is after 5PM on the east coast!
2003 Muir - 2004 Ardente
Ardente a bit more saturated with additional purple in the pigment, no bricking for either.

Ardente aroma compared to Muir has a bit more fruit, tobacco/leather prominent.
Entry a bit sharper (acid) on the Ardente, nose carries to palate, a bit more complex than the Muir with the slightest hints of something herbaceous.
Muir is rounder in the mid palate.
Finish on the Ardente is more drying and tannic, but not excessively so.
There seems to be a bit more going on with the Ardente, but the Muir at this point is the more balanced and pleasing.
But that is PnP on the Ardente, and a few days on the Muir.

CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Twist my arm, why don't you
Or if somebody else wants to dish off a couple bottles I'm happy to help. Can't justify the whole set at the moment, much as I'd love to.

Merbill beat you to it. But after tasting side by side, that '03 is tasty.
Sparky?

CT

fredrinaldi

Mine was 2004 also

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
jmdavidson wrote:One of these (2004) was popped at the Chicago gathering last Friday. By the time it was opened, too much wine had already been consumed.

Nice dark burgundy color. Initial aroma of dark fruit, but not sure what at this point, and oak. Pnp tasting profile: dark fruit and peppery. Finish a little harsh. It seemed a little closed at this point. Not decanted but we came back to it an hour later.

2nd tasting: primarily dark fruit (black cherry, blackberry, maybe currants), some spice (pepper, maybe clove or allspice) and the tannins were fairly smooth. KH thought it seemed a bit fruitier than would be expected from a 10 year old cab. We found no semblance of leather or tobacco.

With no idea about pricing, I was guessing that a WW price at $25 would be very reasonable. So the offered price (<$18/bottle) seems like an incredible price for aged cabs.

Was this the wine that had quite a bit of anise on the finish but disappeared after some air?

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
funbunny wrote:Was this the wine that had quite a bit of anise on the finish but disappeared after some air?

I think you may be correct, but it dissipated pretty quickly.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
jmdavidson wrote:One of these (2004) was popped at the Chicago gathering last Friday. By the time it was opened, too much wine had already been consumed.

I endorse this review.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

I don't know if winedrew is still around, but would Bill be willing to extend the woot offer to those who are in no ship states? Thank you for checking.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

PTommins

quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins
bahwm wrote:I don't know if winedrew is still around, but would Bill be willing to extend the woot offer to those who are in no ship states? Thank you for checking.

From the great State of Minnesota......I second that. I would love to buy this cab

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Merbill beat you to it. But after tasting side by side, that '03 is tasty.
Sparky?

Don't look at me ....

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Merbill beat you to it. But after tasting side by side, that '03 is tasty.
Sparky?

No worries. Not like I *need* more wine. Especially given the mission to acquire more from Roche after tytiger and his +1 tasted an 05 Merlot last week.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

fredrinaldi

rjquillin wrote:Never one to turn down a good reason to pull a cork. It is after 5PM on the east coast!
2003 Muir - 2004 Ardente
Ardente a bit more saturated with additional purple in the pigment, no bricking for either.

Ardente aroma compared to Muir has a bit more fruit, tobacco/leather prominent.
Entry a bit sharper (acid) on the Ardente, nose carries to palate, a bit more complex than the Muir with the slightest hints of something herbaceous.
Muir is rounder in the mid palate.
Finish on the Ardente is more drying and tannic, but not excessively so.
There seems to be a bit more going on with the Ardente, but the Muir at this point is the more balanced and pleasing.
But that is PnP on the Ardente, and a few days on the Muir.

weird my cork looks like the one on the right, not the one on the left, BTW it also broke

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
fredrinaldi wrote:well dam, now your hitting below the belt, It's like asking a parent which kid I love better, Different wines, But I'm not called "Arfredente" for nothing

I bought 8 of todays offering so that must tell ya something.

I was perfectly content letting this one "slip" by....but then you had to go and post that....8 offerings... OK, guess I'm going to cave....sigh I'm weak.

Snausages01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Snausages01

Last Wooter to Woot:Snausages01
Last Purchase:a few seconds ago

Thanks for the reviews. I'm in for a case, a pair of the Muir and a pair of the IH.

forumc40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forumc40

I had about a million bottles of Ardente, and I'm diggin' the buzz around this one, seems like a no brainer. I'm in.

Ain't easy...

rjquillin

fredrinaldi wrote:weird my cork looks like the one on the right, not the one on the left, BTW it also broke

Well, I got the '03 Muir, and the cork came right out with absolutely no issues at all; double hinge woot screw.
Bottle or vintage variations that pronounced?

CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:No worries. Not like I *need* more wine. Especially given the mission to acquire more from Roche after tytiger and his +1 tasted an 05 Merlot last week.

With all the greed showing up here, I just may have to go in for a third..

CT

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

At least 5 people I have never met but whose advice in buying wine I have come to trust as their palate and definition of QPR seems in line with my own have all said buy this. I'm in.

MarkDaSpark

fredrinaldi wrote:weird my cork looks like the one on the right, not the one on the left, BTW it also broke

Mine looks like the one on the right as well, but it didn't break. ('04)

mproulx49

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mproulx49

Dang! I would really love to try this, but seeing as I am in Arizona , disappointment again. Am I ever going to be able to purchase from woot.wine again. Since I am headed to Napa in a few weeks, guess I will have more money to spend there! :-)

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
bahwm wrote:I don't know if winedrew is still around, but would Bill be willing to extend the woot offer to those who are in no ship states? Thank you for checking.

A second motion on this great suggestion for the wine wooters in NY that can't buy it here

jmdavidson

forumc40 wrote:I had about a million bottles of Ardente, and I'm diggin' the buzz around this one, seems like a no brainer. I'm in.

A million bottles or Ardente? That beats fredrinaldi!

fredrinaldi

jmdavidson wrote:A million bottles or Ardente? That beats fredrinaldi!

Ah NO Frigging WAY still have 36 bottles in the rack

fredrinaldi

bobrush12866 wrote:A second motion on this great suggestion for the wine wooters in NY that can't buy it here

I see a way to make some $$ here, I'll buy all this wine rent a a UHAUL and drive to NY....... yah that the ticket !!!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

you can add me to those who are in! thanks guys!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar