Tess Napa Valley Red & White Blend 5-Pack
$59.99 $̶1̶1̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 50% off List Price
2011 Tess Red & White Blend, Napa Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

I've had a red white blend from Peju that was enjoyable and I am curious about this one. Anyone have any notes?

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

FYI, Petit Verdot is a Red, not a white.

"Cab, Merlot, and Zin jumbled up with Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, and Petit Verdot".

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:FYI, Petit Verdot is a Red, not a white.

"Cab, Merlot, and Zin jumbled up with Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, and Petit Verdot".

Yeah, but last I checked, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc were whites

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:FYI, Petit Verdot is a Red, not a white.

You dare to question the words of the writers!!!!??!??!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kziegler524

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kziegler524

Wow, that doesn't even sound good.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

What a coincidence! I happened to get a bottle of this the other week, and per the instructions on the label, chilled it in the fridge. We opened it last weekend, to accompany a sinus-clearing Thai dinner. Maybe a nice Riesling or Gewurz would have been a better choice, but a little voice that seemed to emanate from somewhere in California suggested strongly that this was the one to try. So white or wrong, that's what we drank.

It was pleasant, overall, but I think it would have shown better with a nice roast bird. I could see serving this with turkey or chicken, for your guests who refuse to touch white wine. It pretty much lived up to the promise of being a red and white wine.

We'd had a Pinot Noir the night before, and because the color of this wine was a bright, clear cherry red, I kept expecting it to taste like a Pinot. Which it didn't. I don't know, what with my stuffed nasal passages and the heat level of the food, I had a hard time getting a handle on what was going on in this wine. I was getting ripe fruit or maybe it was a raisiny Zin-like quality that kept fooling my palate into finding it sweet. But it didn't finish sweet. There were hints of the cab and zin at the start of each sip, but those flavors didn't stick around for the finish. Certainly it was lighter on the palate than one would expect either of those wines to be. It also seemed hot, as in from alcohol. But I suspect that was not so much the fault of the wine, as the fact that my whole mouth was sensitized from the spiciness of the dinner.

Value: given the number of really nice surprises I've had from Woot over the years in the neighborhood of $10 or less, I was thinking this wine would sell here at about that level, and at that price I would probably woot some if only they were shipping to NY these days. Maybe Woot has ruined my expectations of what wine should cost? This isn't an enthusiastic "Buy Now", like all those shill emails I get for loser investments, but rather a "buy if it sounds interesting to you, it's not bad".

CruelMelody

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CruelMelody

8 states?

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

I had this offer last weekend. My first thoughts were a red and white blend sounds like a bad combination. But I was pleasantly surprised how it worked with this particular blend. I was even more surprised how much RS there is. It does not come across as sweet at all IMO. My notes:

Color: bright, ruby red...light...legs

Smell: me: cloves, brown sugar, watermelon, anise
Wife bing cherry, vanilla, some type of flower

Taste refreshing, watermelon, goes down easy...somewhat complex...since i know its a red and white blend trying to pick out the grapes: merlot, cab sauv, viognier, chard, reisling...bit of jolly rancher but not sweet cheap wine, sweet tarts? Im not a sweet wine drinker and this not sweet at all...venture to say neutral oak was used...wow...liking this alot...maybe low RS? I love crisp roses and this fits the bill...not french style roses but CA without the sweetness if it makes sense...unlike a rose this has some body to it no doubt from the oak influence...but not cloying...nice acidity though not sure is is much of a food wine but rather a sipper by e pool (if I had one-lol)....is is definitely a hot weather sipper that most ,wine drinkers would enjoy...not heavy at all...

Below is what we think the wine is worth w/o checking winery price:

Winery price: $22. Wine woot $15 delivered and I Am in
Wife winery: $18 and wants it for full price
Dad: $20

"The older I get the better I was"

InFrom

losthighwayz wrote:I had this offer last weekend. My first thoughts were a red and white blend sounds like a bad combination. But I was pleasantly surprised how it worked with this particular blend. I was even more surprised how much RS there is. It does not come across as sweet at all IMO. My notes:

Color: bright, ruby red...light...legs

Smell: me: cloves, brown sugar, watermelon, anise
Wife bing cherry, vanilla, some type of flower

Taste refreshing, watermelon, goes down easy...somewhat complex...since i know its a red and white blend trying to pick out the grapes: merlot, cab sauv, viognier, chard, reisling...bit of jolly rancher but not sweet cheap wine, sweet tarts? Im not a sweet wine drinker and this not sweet at all...venture to say neutral oak was used...wow...liking this alot...maybe low RS? I love crisp roses and this fits the bill...not french style roses but CA without the sweetness if it makes sense...unlike a rose this has some body to it no doubt from the oak influence...but not cloying...nice acidity though not sure is is much of a food wine but rather a sipper by e pool (if I had one-lol)....is is definitely a hot weather sipper that most ,wine drinkers would enjoy...not heavy at all...

Below is what we think the wine is worth w/o checking winery price:

Winery price: $22. Wine woot $15 delivered and I Am in
Wife winery: $18 and wants it for full price
Dad: $20

I'm really glad to see your review, to lend some balance to my so-so one. I knew the food I had it up against wasn't going to show it in its best light, but given the timing there wasn't another option. I'm curious to know if there are others out there who also have tried this.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Another surprise, but my birthday was last month…

Tess Red and White Blend N.V. (2012 bottling)

Clear, bright red, cherry red with long thin tears; I really need to get one of those panatone charts for colors. Strawberry and cherry aroma at PnP around 45~50F, and a bit too chilled I believe, and both carry over to the entry. Given I know the varietals, I'm trying to pick them out but finding it difficult to do so, this real is a mélange of flavors. Mid palate is full, but nothing distinct of and despite the stated RS, this isn't at all sweet glass and finishes dry, with lingering tannins. this is a bright, crisp glass, with unexpected complexity.
This would be at home on a deck with just about any mix of friends. There is something here for both the red or white crowd and would hold up well with light to medium appetizers or light entrees. Both sweet tooth SWMBO and I enjoyed this and the lower AbV allows for plenty of consumption.
Still have some too under Ar, so more sipping and notes later on. Gotta see if this goes better with football or Nascar!

All this prompted some additional research, and I found this is approximately an 80%/20% red/white blend of Pope Valley fruit containing nearly 30% CS, done separately in 3+ year old barrels and blended.

Really hoping the winery makes their promised appearance here today, as I really like to hear more about the thought process that went into this, for me, blending...

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson

What a surprise. I, too, mysteriously received a bottle of this about a week ago. Not knowing the contents, other than it says Red & White blend, my first thought was that it looked like a rose. My instructions were to serve it chilled, so into the fridge for a day. Thinking ahead, I go with dry rubbing a couple of racks of pork ribs so I can slo-cook them tomorrow. FF to day 2, post cooking.

PnP the bottle and find a soft berry and citrus aroma, which given that this is cold I would not expect a strong aroma. The color is very much like a rose. First sip, flavor matches smell. Maybe a little watermelon in there as well. +1 and I do not know what to make of this blend. So we continue to eat and drink and eat and drink and before we knew it the bottle was empty. WOW, what a tasty wine. There is a nice crispness to this wine. The spiciness of the ribs went very well with this wine. After dinner, I google Tess and find the winery website (tesswine.com), which yields the 5 grape blend.

Seeing the price today, this is a very fair price. I would sip this wine on a summer day, serve it at an hors d'oeuvres party and with spicy food or BBQ. This is one of those wines that I would not think of as O-M-G delicious, but one that everyone would like and no one would dislike.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

CruelMelody wrote:8 states?

Yea, really low state list today. Sorry folks.

gojets3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gojets3
Winedavid39 wrote:Yea, really low state list today. Sorry folks.

from my somewhat limited understanding of this situationthat, the main issue is that wine.woot is not the equivalent of a 'joe and bill's wine emporium,' that would sell directly to consumers and bypass these onerous state restrictions.
so (and i am not an attorney, nor do i run a business, obviously), how difficult would it be for wine.woot to 'remake' itself into a joe and bill's wine emporium-type establishment, legally? and please forgive me if what i typed is utterly stupid. just trying to help find a solution.

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice

We had this wine at the last DFW Woot dinner. It was served chilled as recommended and was the first wine I tasted that night. The color was pale red and clear, lighter than a pinot. The nose was really odd, and didn't have any notes that I could identify. Mildly tart wine, light to medium tannins, with a short finish that didn't linger. It had a strange flavor that is hard to describe, almost as if the odd nose carried over to the taste. Picked up some spices and a little dark fruit, but the flavor was thin, not quite balanced. I could see where some might like this as a summer drinker, but I didn't care for this wine. Of course, YMMV.

Z

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

If we get winery participation:

Why make this blend? What's the motivation? Intention? Were there just extra grapes and you figured, "what the hell"?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

InFrom

kylemittskus wrote:If we get winery participation:

Why make this blend? What's the motivation? Intention? Were there just extra grapes and you figured, "what the hell"?

Excellent questions, all. I was wondering the same myself.

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:If we get winery participation:

Agreed. I had a conversation with the winery, tasting room?, last week and asked nearly the same question. While I got some additional details, and assurances someone with additional knowledge would be with us today, that question and some others went unanswered.

So, here's hoping we get an appearance...

CT

sneefy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sneefy

If this wine were more along the woot-pricing-of-yore, (pre-Amazon days...) I'd be tempted to experiment. But this strikes me as a not particularly good price for a, frankly, oddity of a wine.

kylemittskus

sneefy wrote:If this wine were more along the woot-pricing-of-yore, (pre-Amazon days...) I'd be tempted to experiment. But this strikes me as a not particularly good price for a, frankly, oddity of a wine.

I obviously agree about the oddity, but the price seems to be as cheap as we've seen aside from a very few $10/btl wines. There has to be enough on the bone to ship the wine and take a cut before paying the winery. My opinion, of course. Personally, I have zero interest in this wine, especially considering we have no info about why/what/huh?

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:I obviously agree about the oddity, but the price seems to be as cheap as we've seen aside from a very few $10/btl wines. There has to be enough on the bone to ship the wine and take a cut before paying the winery. My opinion, of course. Personally, I have zero interest in this wine, especially considering we have no info about why/what/huh?

This is absolutely a bit out of mainstream blending I'm familiar with, but just because we don't know why/what/huh I wouldn't think is an auto-kill.
This is an unpretentious wine that should be accessible by many and a step up from grocery-store bottles. Suitable for critical drinking, not at all, but nor does it seem meant for that market, and at $14.04 delivered to SoCal certainly seems reasonably priced for what it is, but not a killer deal like we are fortunate to see occasionally. The $20 SRP is a stretch.

Here's a link for info on the Persephone Vineyard that Peju claims is an extension of their style.

But I'm still curious as well...

CT

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

I, too, was able to try this at a recent Woot gathering. For reference, we had it with some really good BBQ.

Nose: I get watermelon and strawberry. Smells like it could be a rose'

Tasting: I do not like this. I would not buy. Very light, not much there after the light fruit on the nose and entry. Group consensus seems to be "Meh." Everyone commented that it lacked complexity and character.

As some of the other commentators noted, I can see where this might be a good summer drinker - but for me, there are much better summer wines out there for the price.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
rjquillin wrote:This is absolutely a bit out of mainstream blending I'm familiar with, but just because we don't know why/what/huh I wouldn't think is an auto-kill.
This is an unpretentious wine that should be accessible by many and a step up from grocery-store bottles. Suitable for critical drinking, not at all, but nor does it seem meant for that market.

Here's a link for info on the Persephone Vineyard that Peju claims is an extension of their style.

But I'm still curious as well...

I don't know about this wine or the blend, does not sound like something I would be interested in but I think that grocery-store comparison might not be valid anymore..my grocery stores sell some pretty darn good wines nowadays

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:I don't know about this wine or the blend, does not sound like something I would be interested in but I think that grocery-store comparison might not be valid anymore..my grocery stores sell some pretty darn good wines nowadays

I'm in the boonies where brewed beverage reigns supreme. For me it would be at least 0:45 minute trek to get to an upscale grocery store or Costco with a decent selection; but point well taken.

PM

CT

cortot20

I informed my Peju loving friend of the deal so I may end up with a bottle or two of this. He loves the Peju Provence which is a similar wine.

CT

rjquillin

Tasting update from SWMBO:

Liking it better at the cooler end of the range, under 15 minutes out of the fridge. Nose of berries and "woodsy", taste of dark berries, and she detects the alcohol. She is very sensitive here.
I could be convinced to take a bottle or two.

But this is huge for her, generally I just get "wine" and a sour face for anything not on the sweet side.

My earlier notes still hold, but as it warms I do begin to detect what I associate with Sauv Blanc that I wasn't getting earlier.

Where's the winery?

CT

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

I had this at the winery, and at a golf course. Tastes wonderful chilled. And the flavors really do change with the temperature. That being said, I had this wine back in Feb. Some people are thinking about the Peju Provence, which is a similar White/Red Blend. The Tess Blend is a lot more refreshing IMO.. Enjoy!

Neal K Bharadwaj

kylemittskus

nealkb wrote:I had this at the winery, and at a golf course. Tastes wonderful chilled. And the flavors really do change with the temperature. That being said, I had this wine back in Feb. Some people are thinking about the Peju Provence, which is a similar White/Red Blend. The Tess Blend is a lot more refreshing IMO.. Enjoy!

Notes and opinions are all over the place with this one.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
CruelMelody wrote:8 states?

Based just on the blend I think the folks in the other 42 are the lucky ones.

losthighwayz

Last wooter to woot:losthighwayz
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:Notes and opinions are all over the place with this one.

I think because it's a non traditional blend and some folks have preconceived ideas of what is proper/acceptable. I look at it as a rose pure and simple. The wine will be a little lighter in mouth feel than most roses but will seem similar. I'm hoping my buddy bought so I can try it.

CT

losthighwayz

rjquillin wrote:Tasting update from SWMBO:

Liking it better at the cooler end of the range, under 15 minutes out of the fridge. Nose of berries and "woodsy", taste of dark berries, and she detects the alcohol. She is very sensitive here.
I could be convinced to take a bottle or two.

But this is huge for her, generally I just get "wine" and a sour face for anything not on the sweet side.

My earlier notes still hold, but as it warms I do begin to detect what I associate with Sauv Blanc that I wasn't getting earlier.

Where's the winery?

Went in for two. Do you want two bottles?

losthighwayz

cortot20 wrote:I think because it's a non traditional blend and some folks have preconceived ideas of what is proper/acceptable. I look at it as a rose pure and simple. The wine will be a little lighter in mouth feel than most roses but will seem similar. I'm hoping my buddy bought so I can try it.

I may have an extra bottle if you're interested. Agree with your comment. This is very similar to a good CA Rose
Last wooter to woot:losthighwayz
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

rjquillin

losthighwayz wrote:Went in for two. Do you want two bottles?

I'd take one or two...

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson
kaolis wrote:Based just on the blend I think the folks in the other 42 are the lucky ones.

That's a matter of opinion. I tried it, along with +1, and inspite of what you or others might think about this blend, it is pretty tasty. This is a $12 bottle of wine, not some complex wine with a high price tag.

InFrom

cortot20 wrote:I think because it's a non traditional blend and some folks have preconceived ideas of what is proper/acceptable. I look at it as a rose pure and simple. The wine will be a little lighter in mouth feel than most roses but will seem similar. I'm hoping my buddy bought so I can try it.

You know, considering that you haven't even tasted this wine, isn't is a bit of a stretch to decide that those of us who have, and weren't that impressed with it or one reason or another, are "folks [who] have preconceived ideas of what is proper/acceptable"?

The wine will be a little lighter in mouth feel than most roses but will seem similar.

At least a couple of us who have tasted this wine found that while it was reasonably pleasant, it never quite justified its existence. Call me an inflexible old stick-in-the-mud if you will, but if I want a Rose, there are some lovely, well-made ones around, within a buck or so of this price point, including a couple in the Plus sale right now.

Having tasted a wine has never been a prerequisite here for having an opinion, which is part of the fun of this board. But can't we just get along, play nice, and skip the sweeping generalizations about those with whose taste we don't agree?

losthighwayz

InFrom wrote:At least a couple of us who have tasted this wine found that while it was reasonably pleasant, it never quite justified its existence. Call me an inflexible old stick-in-the-mud if you will, but if I want a Rose, there are some lovely, well-made ones around, within a buck or so of this price point, including a couple in the Plus sale right now.

Having tasted a wine has never been a prerequisite here for having an opinion, which is part of the fun of this board. But can't we just get along, play nice, and skip the sweeping generalizations about those with whose taste we don't agree?

While you make good points I agree with Cortot. Preconceived notions are huge and this offer fits the bill. Wine "purists" would likely balk at this blend, no matter how great it is. Plain and simple. I do agree these notions have an impact on whether some like this wine or not.

InFrom

losthighwayz wrote:While you make good points I agree with Cortot. Preconceived notions are huge and this offer fits the bill. Wine "purists" would likely balk at this blend, no matter how great it is. Plain and simple. I do agree these notions have an impact on whether some like this wine or not.

Perhaps I read too much into his comment -- if he merely was dismissing the people who posted a negative comment without having tasted the wine, fair enough. However when I read it yesterday, in the context of his reply to Kyle, I saw it as implying that those of us who had tried it and given it less than fully enthusiastic reviews had done so because we suffer from preconceived notions, which kept us from giving it an open-minded try. And that's what I objected to. If he didn't mean to imply that, then I apologize for stirring up a tempest in a teapot.

cortot20

InFrom wrote:At least a couple of us who have tasted this wine found that while it was reasonably pleasant, it never quite justified its existence. Call me an inflexible old stick-in-the-mud if you will, but if I want a Rose, there are some lovely, well-made ones around, within a buck or so of this price point, including a couple in the Plus sale right now.

The comment was directed at kaoliis who also did not taste the wine. I have had the Peju Provence on multiple occasions which is similar.

CT