funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

Since there are so many issues with shipping to certain states, I was wondering if we could start a wootlegging tab. I don't know the legal logistics so I'm asking if we could do this publicly. I figure people in states that are shipping friendly can sign up to wootleg for those not. This would give wooters across state lines a chance to meet at a halfway point and have lunch or dinner and make new friends. Maybe even a multi-state gathering.

I'm willing to drive a couple hours to meet up halfway with a fellow wooter with their goods from time to time. Is this tab doable or is it not woot corp friendly? I know this involves a lot of trust, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I doubt they would create a separate tab for us, for this, but this thread should be helpful to keep the lines of communication open.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

Great idea. I would gladly sign up, except that the state closest to me where wootlegging would be useful is 12 hours drive away.

funbunny

North316 wrote:I doubt they would create a separate tab for us, for this, but this thread should be helpful to keep the lines of communication open.

Tab is probably the wrong word, I should say thread. I just wasn't sure if there are legal ramifications to woot if we have an organized system on their public forum.

North316

funbunny wrote:Tab is probably the wrong word, I should say thread. I just wasn't sure if there are legal ramifications to woot if we have an organized system on their public forum.

Nothing illegal about "friends sharing wine".

My CT

funbunny

noslensj wrote:Great idea. I would gladly sign up, except that the state closest to me where wootlegging would be useful is 12 hours drive away.

I guess it depends if you can hold off a few months for delivery, someone might want an overnight get a way and meet you at a halfway point. The idea would be to have a thread to post what state you are in and if you are up for the challenge. just trying to help fellow wooters get the wine they want and WineDavid get more business so we can keep a good thing going.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Are there not companies in CA that specialize in shipping wine orders could be delivered to?
Perhaps a "wine locker" that could then reship?
Yeah, there would be additional shipping expense, but possibly at a tolerable bulk rate.

Good to see Jon step up today, as others have done in the past, to make these offers available to the blacklisted states until this get sorted out.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:Are there not companies in CA that specialize in shipping wine orders could be delivered to?
Perhaps a "wine locker" that could then reship?
Yeah, there would be additional shipping expense, but possibly at a tolerable bulk rate.

Good to see Jon step up today, as others have done in the past, to make these offers available to the blacklisted states until this get sorted out.

Kind of surprised that the winemakers seem to be finding out about the restricted shipping only after wooters comment about it in the product threads.

North316

chipgreen wrote:Kind of surprised that the winemakers seem to be finding out about the restricted shipping only after wooters comment about it in the product threads.

Yeah, I was suprised there wasn't a little more heads-up from WD in that regards, but I previously got the idea that these deals are usually set several weeks in advance, so the issues were probably not yet known before the deal was struck.

I think we will see a lot more of the side-deals with wineries willing to fullfill the offers. Its probably a good deal for the wineries that way, since it cuts out the cost for the middleman, though I doubt they can ship as cheaply as WCC, so at the end of the day, might be about the same.

My CT

funbunny

North316 wrote:Yeah, I was suprised there wasn't a little more heads-up from WD in that regards, but I previously got the idea that these deals are usually set several weeks in advance, so the issues were probably not yet known before the deal was struck.

I think we will see a lot more of the side-deals with wineries willing to fullfill the offers. Its probably a good deal for the wineries that way, since it cuts out the cost for the middleman, though I doubt they can ship as cheaply as WCC, so at the end of the day, might be about the same.

If a few wooters from one area get together and order, maybe shipping cost can be reduced.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
North316 wrote:Nothing illegal about "friends sharing wine".

In some states, it is illegal for someone to get delivery from out of state even if it is from a friend. So, yes, it can be illegal. I cannot legally ship to my sister in MA (or was it NY?).

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

North316

JOATMON wrote:In some states, it is illegal for someone to get delivery from out of state even if it is from a friend. So, yes, it can be illegal. I cannot legally ship to my sister in MA (or was it NY?).

I was not referring to shipping at all. I was referring to the wootlegging, which would involve driving across state boarding with wine, not shipping. Yes, there can be legalities there as well, but certainly not regulated like shipping.

My CT

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
North316 wrote:I was not referring to shipping at all. I was referring to the wootlegging, which would involve driving across state boarding with wine, not shipping. Yes, there can be legalities there as well, but certainly not regulated like shipping.

Sigh. The truth of that statement just shows how backward some of these laws are.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
JOATMON wrote:In some states, it is illegal for someone to get delivery from out of state even if it is from a friend. So, yes, it can be illegal. I cannot legally ship to my sister in MA (or was it NY?).

In PA, you cannot legally bring wine into the state from elsewhere, even in your own car.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

funbunny

ddeuddeg wrote:In PA, you cannot legally bring wine into the state from elsewhere, even in your own car.

Wow, that is literally a sad state.

dlschier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlschier
ddeuddeg wrote:In PA, you cannot legally bring wine into the state from elsewhere, even in your own car.

Really? There is an entire thread here about someone moving their considerable collection to Pittsburgh. Guess they better be watching over their shoulder.

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen

We're taking a road trip to VA wine country in a few weeks and were unpleasantly surprised to find this;

Importing Alcoholic Beverages
No more than one gallon of alcoholic beverages (or the metric equivalent) may be brought into Virginia from outside the Commonwealth, excepting shipments to the commission or its licensees, or new residents under special permits.

Anyone who transports more than such quantity of alcoholic beverages per adult in possession of the bonafide owner may be arrested, fined up to $2,500, and sentenced to a year in jail. In addition, the vehicle involved may be impounded and confiscated.

Alcoholic beverages includes wine, beer, or distilled spirits. This restriction applies not only to those alcoholic beverages brought into Virginia from other states or the District of Columbia, but also from defense installations.

http://www.abc.virginia.gov/enforce/shippinginfo.html

EDIT: If my calculations are correct, (5) 750ml bottles would be the max allowed. We should be ok but can you imagine getting thrown in jail for a year and having your vehicle confiscated because you brought 6 bottles of wine into the state?

rc70

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rc70

I live in Utah,the state controls / regulates all wine - spirits - beer over 3.2 sales to the state liquor stores. Nothing is allowed to be shipped in. Fortunately for me I own a vacation home across the border in Idaho so I ship to the closest FedEx or to a neighbor and pick up every couple weeks. I Wootleg on a regular basis for myself and now several friends.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
dlschier wrote:Really? There is an entire thread here about someone moving their considerable collection to Pittsburgh. Guess they better be watching over their shoulder.

We have done lots of research into this.
http://pennsylvaniawineryandhospitalitylawyer.com/pennsylvania-wine-law/pennsylvania-wine-shipment-legislation-gains-momentum/

And even more abotu order direct online. It has been a big topic recently with politicians saying it is unconstitutional.
http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/PLCB/Licensees/DirectShipping/index.htm

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
chipgreen wrote:We're taking a road trip to VA wine country in a few weeks and were unpleasantly surprised to find this;

Importing Alcoholic Beverages
No more than one gallon of alcoholic beverages (or the metric equivalent) may be brought into Virginia from outside the Commonwealth, excepting shipments to the commission or its licensees, or new residents under special permits.

Anyone who transports more than such quantity of alcoholic beverages per adult in possession of the bonafide owner may be arrested, fined up to $2,500, and sentenced to a year in jail. In addition, the vehicle involved may be impounded and confiscated.

Alcoholic beverages includes wine, beer, or distilled spirits. This restriction applies not only to those alcoholic beverages brought into Virginia from other states or the District of Columbia, but also from defense installations.

http://www.abc.virginia.gov/enforce/shippinginfo.html

EDIT: If my calculations are correct, (5) 750ml bottles would be the max allowed. We should be ok but can you imagine getting thrown in jail for a year and having your vehicle confiscated because you brought 6 bottles of wine into the state?

Oh! Memes Galore!!!!! When I travel to my home town, Pgh., I load up my car with wine purchases from the incredible state stores to bring back to Va. Apparently, I am like the characters in "Lawless", bootlegging on the back roads of VA! WooHoo!!,

funbunny

I find it interesting that of the 13 original colonies that fought for freedom from England's heavy regulations and taxation so many years ago, only four allow for it's citizens the simple freedom of buying wine from wherever they choose. I guess the Boston Tea party has become a faded memory.