MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away Folks!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm

I guess there was too much football this weekend! Happy Monday!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
mother wrote:I don't want to ruin a certain peoples yummy looking dinner so I'll just post a warning for others here, in hopes they see it later and take some immodium:

Avoid "white tuna" when eating sushi... It's almost never actually white tuna, but a fish which contains fats that you can't digest called escolar...

I think it's where they got the idea for olestra from ;)

Meh, with only 2 pieces each (1-2oz each of it), not so worried. And it didn't have that "rich buttery" taste that appears to be characteristic of escolar - it was pretty mild. I was also only guessing as to what it was, as they didn't definitively tell us, since the boats come with "fish of the day". We could positively identify Whitefish, Salmon, and Unagi, there was a very dark tuna that I'm 95% sure was Ahi, so it's just the mysterious whiter fish that I thought was Albacore (which I know is also called White Tuna), which tasted like tuna and not buttery.

Did not seem to affect the bowel system adversely in any event

Edit: After checking the menu again, they don't even list albacore or escolar or "white tuna". It may have been yellowtail (hamachi).

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
cheron98 wrote:
Did not seem to affect the bowel system adversely in any event

In the, erm, end, this is all that matters :D

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mother wrote:In the, erm, end, this is all that matters :D

I had the Escolar evacuation the last time I had Sushi (in Omaha, I know, I know). They claimed to be the only place outside of K.C. that offered "super white tuna" so I was all, I gots to get me some o' that! Two pieces, tasted like heaven. Three hours later, I'm in the bathroom with very um, active openings. Good thing the bathroom is small and you can lean over one piece of porcelain whilst sitting on another.

Haven't had sushi since.

it did taste good though.

Not so much the second time.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mother

bhodilee wrote:I had the Escolar...

The worst part is that one isn't likely to say "My that yummy white tuna must have indigestible fats in it" but "OH EM GEE, BAD SUSHI".

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

MMMMMMmmmmmm, sushi!

We had a bad tuna steak from Costco, and SWMBO cannot eat it now, as she just feels nauseated at the thought of it. Thankfully, we can still eat sushi.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mother wrote:The worst part is that one isn't likely to say "My that yummy white tuna must have indigestible fats in it" but "OH EM GEE, BAD SUSHI".

I swore last Tuesday that I had to have some bad sushi. Now, I am guessing that they used escolar in one of the rolls.

Thanks for the education.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Now I want sushi. Thanks guys, another $50 spent this week that I don't have in my budget.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mother wrote:The worst part is that one isn't likely to say "My that yummy white tuna must have indigestible fats in it" but "OH EM GEE, BAD SUSHI".

that was my thought, especially since I was throwing up. Now I know, and while delicious, I'll never order it again.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mother

So, on a brighter note...

Next time Home has one of those refurbished Breville YouBrew's up for like $105-110, treat yourself!

I'm a one big mug of coffee in the morning type and I love it for that- it also makes a great big pot of coffee. Way cheaper op-ex than k-cups, and waaay less cap-ex than a superautomatic (and drip coffee >> americanos imho).

otolith

Hmmm...what topic can I bring up this week to get everyone's feathers ruffled?

W/R/T Germany vs the Wedding, one of us is in either camp. I'm ok with him going, and think it would be a great experience. However, I think there is something to be said for being there for family, and family wins every time. So, we'll see.

I do appreciate everyone's input into that. I was hoping for several different viewpoints, and that's what I got. Didn't expect that heated of a discussed, however shouldn't be surprised.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I think I need to just stop reading the daily offering thread for awhile. I posted the link to the shipping discussion and immediately afterwards two peanut butter jelly timeing overly attached girlfriends are still asking why they can't order the wine. Lazy/ignorant people make my blood boil.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
North316 wrote:I think I need to just stop reading the daily offering thread for awhile. I posted the link to the shipping discussion and immediately afterwards two peanut butter jelly timeing overly attached girlfriends are still asking why they can't order the wine. Lazy/ignorant people make my blood boil.

+1. Aggravating. This loss of business does not bode well for wine.woot either.

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
North316 wrote:I think I need to just stop reading the daily offering thread for awhile. I posted the link to the shipping discussion and immediately afterwards two peanut butter jelly timeing overly attached girlfriends are still asking why they can't order the wine. Lazy/ignorant people make my blood boil.

If they had really posted "immediately" afterward one could excuse it as simple cross-posting, but plenty of time had elapsed between your post and theirs.
I guess your credibility is insufficient.

otolith

I didn't realize until now that MN is on the list of no-ship states! Where's Trollface Hiding?! I suspect wine.woot is definitely going the ultra conservative route on this.

--John Muir

Cesare

quality posts: 1673 Private Messages Cesare
otolith wrote:MMMMMMmmmmmm, sushi!

We had a bad tuna steak from Costco, and SWMBO cannot eat it now, as she just feels nauseated at the thought of it. Thankfully, we can still eat sushi.

I hope you returned it. Yes, you can return anything. Just bring the label and receipt and say it was bad. They really do want to know when substandard product gets out.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare

Speaking of stores. For the Buffalo folks - Trader Joes opening October 11 in Amherst.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare

otolith wrote:I didn't realize until now that MN is on the list of no-ship states! Where's Trollface Hiding?! I suspect wine.woot is definitely going the ultra conservative route on this.

Ugh this really blows. I haven't been able to get any more info from my sources other than, our lawyers are working on it. Well work harder dammit!@#$%
Hey 3 in a row...

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Landed last night at 11. LAX was a nightmare. Traveling with Em (13 months) was not fun, but we survived.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:Landed last night at 11. LAX was a nightmare. Traveling with Em (13 months) was not fun, but we survived.

11pm is a *shockingly* bad time to arrive at LAX. It's like the entire world just feels that it's time to show up there. Driving around that loop can take half an hour sometimes. Worst airport I've ever been to.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

otolith

klezman wrote:11pm is a *shockingly* bad time to arrive at LAX. It's like the entire world just feels that it's time to show up there. Driving around that loop can take half an hour sometimes. Worst airport I've ever been to.

If airports didn't have the ability to take you to all areas of the globe, I would never go to one.

One of these years I need to ask for some happy meds when I fly.

--John Muir

otolith

Cesare wrote:Ugh this really blows. I haven't been able to get any more info from my sources other than, our lawyers are working on it. Well work harder dammit!@#$%
Hey 3 in a row...

No kidding.

What's weird is that there are plenty of liquor store type places that can ship alcohol here...

--John Muir

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
klezman wrote:11pm is a *shockingly* bad time to arrive at LAX. It's like the entire world just feels that it's time to show up there. Driving around that loop can take half an hour sometimes. Worst airport I've ever been to.

I used to do a lot of traveling for work. I don't like the Kansas City airport, but LAX is right up there with it. Or down there with it, I guess.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

mother

coynedj wrote:I used to do a lot of traveling for work. I don't like the Kansas City airport, but LAX is right up there with it. Or down there with it, I guess.

Least favorite airport is CDG, but LAX sucks pretty hard...

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Does anybody know when the Phat Goose is shipping? My order that included the Phat Goose also contained another wine, and that one shipped last week. Unfortunately the order page is only showing the one tracking number for the whole order, so I have no clue when to expect it.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
kylemittskus wrote:Landed last night at 11. LAX was a nightmare. Traveling with Em (13 months) was not fun, but we survived.

glad you survived... sorry to hear it was a nightmare!! I can say, it does get better!!

mommadeb1

coynedj wrote:I used to do a lot of traveling for work. I don't like the Kansas City airport, but LAX is right up there with it. Or down there with it, I guess.

I liked the Kansas City airport.. small... when we were there 3 years ago it didn't seem too bad.....wait.. r u talking Kansas city Kansas or Missouri?

Cesare

Just when you think you've seen it all.
Wine smoothing drops?

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

mommadeb1

we went to the Kid Rock, ZZ Top concert last night... was really surprised how many older people were there...like.. older than me!!

mommadeb1

Cesare wrote:Just when you think you've seen it all.
Wine smoothing drops?

Where's Trollface Hiding???? why don't you just buy good wine to start off with?

polarbear22

otolith wrote:No kidding.

What's weird is that there are plenty of liquor store type places that can ship alcohol here...

Can? Or just do?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
mommadeb1 wrote:we went to the Kid Rock, ZZ Top concert last night... was really surprised how many older people were there...like.. older than me!!

But were they older than ZZTop?

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

Cesare

mommadeb1 wrote:Where's Trollface Hiding???? why don't you just buy good wine to start off with?

Easy for us. Harder for most people! Well, a little harder for some of us now. :{

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

mother

polarbear22 wrote:Can? Or just do?

I think you're looking for "May? Or just do?"

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
otolith wrote:No kidding.

Here, too.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:Here, too.

Shhh. They may be listening.

My Cellar

otolith

polarbear22 wrote:Can? Or just do?

The garage place in the Northwest seems to not have a problem. WL does (or did, I think), and WTSO all come to mind...

--John Muir

mommadeb1

UBlink wrote:But were they older than ZZTop?

some just might have been!! the funny thing was watching them rock out to Kid Rock!

mommadeb1

Cesare wrote:Easy for us. Harder for most people! Well, a little harder for some of us now. :{

well, this is true... I was just thinking that instead of adding something to your wine... save up a bit and get a decent wine