Synos10

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Synos10

Hey all, I'm looking to join a wine club or two from smaller producers. I'm primarily a red drinker (mostly the Bordeaux grapes). I'll venture outside of that (love Twisted Oak), though.

I know some of y'all are members of various vineyards from previous posts of the forums. Any suggestions? Thanks!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

There's a lot that needs to be clarified if we can even begin to suggest a club. It sounds like you want a wine club (not from a single winery)? If so, KLwines.com has a couple different clubs with different tiers, IIRC. I would trust their choices over random selections, I think.

If you want a winery club, price point will be a big factor. Preferred style is also a crucial piece of info for us to suggest a specific winery. And even then, I think you should sample the winery's lineup, or a good portion of it, before jumping all in.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Synos10

kylemittskus wrote:There's a lot that needs to be clarified if we can even begin to suggest a club. It sounds like you want a wine club (not from a single winery)? If so, KLwines.com has a couple different clubs with different tiers, IIRC. I would trust their choices over random selections, I think.

If you want a winery club, price point will be a big factor. Preferred style is also a crucial piece of info for us to suggest a specific winery. And even then, I think you should sample the winery's lineup, or a good portion of it, before jumping all in.

Apologies for the lack of specificity, looking for joining a winery club. I currently belong to Twisted Oak's Twisted Freaks and thoroughly enjoy all their wines.

At least with my Bordeaux varietals, I do lean towards enjoying a more old world style (at least IMHO, I know which wines I like but my palate is not yet as refined as many of yours). If its helpful, I've greatly enjoyed the Jana Cathedral and Wellington Victory/Cab offerings here on wine.woot. Price point-wise, probably $40 a bottle or less.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about sampling offerings before committing. I'm planning a CA wine country trip and would look at local stores (there are one or two good places here in Atlanta with great selections) for some of the wines. What I'm looking for are some suggestions of smaller producers I may not have heard of.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Synos10 wrote:Hey all, I'm looking to join a wine club or two from smaller producers. I'm primarily a red drinker (mostly the Bordeaux grapes). I'll venture outside of that (love Twisted Oak), though.

I know some of y'all are members of various vineyards from previous posts of the forums. Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you hadn't said smaller producers, I would have said Tablas Creek. In their VINsider club and love their wines. But I think they are larger. And their flagship wine, Esprit de Beaucastel (2010 has 45% Mourvedre, 30% Grenache, 21% Syrah, 4% Counoise) runs $44 to $50 for club members (2 clubs). The rest range from $16 to $36 for club members.

Tercero Wines (Larry Schafer) however, makes some very nice wines.

You could also check out the Rhone Rangers website for other possibilities.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
Synos10 wrote:Apologies for the lack of specificity, looking for joining a winery club. I currently belong to Twisted Oak's Twisted Freaks and thoroughly enjoy all their wines.

At least with my Bordeaux varietals, I do lean towards enjoying a more old world style (at least IMHO, I know which wines I like but my palate is not yet as refined as many of yours). If its helpful, I've greatly enjoyed the Jana Cathedral and Wellington Victory/Cab offerings here on wine.woot. Price point-wise, probably $40 a bottle or less.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about sampling offerings before committing. I'm planning a CA wine country trip and would look at local stores (there are one or two good places here in Atlanta with great selections) for some of the wines. What I'm looking for are some suggestions of smaller producers I may not have heard of.

For a smaller producer, that is solely reds I think, look at Little Vineyards in Sonoma. Up the road from Wellington, so do both places on your trip. I really like their reds - Cab, Zin, PS and Syrah and very nice to deal with.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

I only belong to one wine (winery) club - Scott Harvey's "Harvey Family" wine club. He offers several different club options, which allow you to customize your membership to receive the wines that would most likely appeal to you.

HERE is a rundown of the choices and benefits.

Since you expressed a preference for old world style reds and specifically mentioned Jana Cathedral as a favorite, this may be of interest.

kylemittskus

Tablas, Larry, and SH don't do very many BDX varietals, though. However, all three are wonderful, obviously.

Hmm...

Most of the BDX varietal producers are up north and the wines tend to be pricier due to the increases cost of land and grapes. Wellington may be a good option (plus Syrah), but I don't know if he does a red-only club.

Synos10

kylemittskus wrote:Tablas, Larry, and SH don't do very many BDX varietals, though. However, all three are wonderful, obviously.

Hmm...

Most of the BDX varietal producers are up north and the wines tend to be pricier due to the increases cost of land and grapes. Wellington may be a good option (plus Syrah), but I don't know if he does a red-only club.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far everyone. Some of these producers seem interesting. Another reason to love woot, such a knowledgeable community.

Tablas has some nice stuff, I'll have to see if I can find any of their wines around these parts. I don't necessarily have to be red only, I'll still enjoy whites - I am just looking for clubs that are predominantly red (~60% or more in each shipment).

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
kylemittskus wrote:Tablas, Larry, and SH don't do very many BDX varietals, though. However, all three are wonderful, obviously.

Hmm...

Wellington will let you switch out one you don't want, however. I've never found that to be necessary, but it is an option.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus

Synos10 wrote:Thank you for all the suggestions so far everyone. Some of these producers seem interesting. Another reason to love woot, such a knowledgeable community.

Tablas has some nice stuff, I'll have to see if I can find any of their wines around these parts. I don't necessarily have to be red only, I'll still enjoy whites - I am just looking for clubs that are predominantly red (~60% or more in each shipment).

Most clubs are predominantly red. There are only a few wineries that produce solely white and rosé or are known for their whites and rosés. Liquid Farms and Ceritas are two I can think of that are no reds and equal parts PN and Chardonnay respectively.

I think Wellington is a great option for you.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:Most clubs are predominantly red. There are only a few wineries that produce solely white and rosé or are known for their whites and rosés. Liquid Farms and Ceritas are two I can think of that are no reds and equal parts PN and Chardonnay respectively.

I think Wellington is a great option for you.

Which is kind of like saying breathing is a great option for you ;)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Twisted Freaks is one of the better clubs IMHO since you get to try some unusual wines that you would probably not get otherwise.

My main problem with most wine clubs are:
- ridiculous shipping costs
- charging higher prices for wines that are available cheaper elsewhere
- wineries that ship wines out during the summer via non-refrigerated methods and require me to alert them every year not to do that

That being said, I've pretty much dropped all my wine clubs for the time being. If I'm going to join a club now, it would be because it offered some unique wines to club members that were hard to acquire otherwise.

For Rhone type wines, you might check into some of the wineries around Santa Ynez. I know most of the ones with tasting rooms in Los Olivos make Rhone varietals.

Epiphany has a reasonable club that offers both red & white: http://www.epiphanycellars.com/Wine-Clubs

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

MarkDaSpark

Synos10 wrote:Thank you for all the suggestions so far everyone. Some of these producers seem interesting. Another reason to love woot, such a knowledgeable community.

Check at your Costco, if you have one. I sometimes see Tablas there for their cheaper wines. And both Sanity and I really, really like their Esprit de Beaucastel Blanc.

The nice thing is that it's two shipments of 6 bottles per year, spring and fall, so nothing during the summer.

They have another club which is only 6 bottles per year, but less of a discount.

And I forget they are more Rhone than Bordeaux.

Scott Harvey is a nice club. I almost got into Wellington, but decided I can always steal from zTimBz's stash (or buy here on WW). Little is also a very good recommendation.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:I can always steal from zTimBz's stash.

Why would you do that, when you don't even drink your own?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20

Wellington has a reds only club.
I dropped all my clubs after having a kid because I crunched the numbers and didn't see the value after shipping costs were added in. Wellington after shipping averaged $25 a bottle and another small Santa Barbara producer I'm a big fan of also was averaging $25 a bottle. So I dropped them because I decided to buy primarily from here and do some major deal hunting locally. It was kind of sad but I didn't see the value.

CT

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:Wellington has a reds only club.
I dropped all my clubs after having a kid because I crunched the numbers and didn't see the value after shipping costs were added in. Wellington after shipping averaged $25 a bottle and another small Santa Barbara producer I'm a big fan of also was averaging $25 a bottle. So I dropped them because I decided to buy primarily from here and do some major deal hunting locally. It was kind of sad but I didn't see the value.

And it's not like you don't know my nephew!