bcanihan

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bcanihan
btphillips wrote:I've had the '05, '06 and '07 and while they were solid, especially with an hour or so of air, I can't say I was blown away. At $30+ per bottle, this has to be a pass for me. I'm not saying it's not a well-made product, it's just that I like a bit more there there for 30 bucks.

bcanihan

bcanihan wrote:

Thank you for trying the 05, 06, 07 & 09 vintages. I'm sorry the 09 isn't your favorite, but I'd encourage you to try our Pinot Noirs if you have the opportunity.
I appreciate your feedback & sampling the previous vintages.

btphillips

quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips
bcanihan wrote:Thank you for trying the 05, 06, 07 & 09 vintages. I'm sorry the 09 isn't your favorite, but I'd encourage you to try our Pinot Noirs if you have the opportunity.
I appreciate your feedback & sampling the previous vintages.

Thanks, Bill. You guys have a nice product (though I haven't actually had the '09 yet), just a little too rich for my blood! We appreciate the winemaker feedback here on woot, though, so I'm gonna have to try your pinot.

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:That was my intention but I left the bottle in my fridge last night and I think my daughter and her boyfriend loved it because the bottle was drained this morning

Sad. Oh well. We'll just need to drink other wines. Speaking of which, let me know if there's anything in particular to bring.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

bcanihan wrote:It's really not so much about the cost of organic certification (less than 1/2% of our annual fixed operating costs) but rather more about doing what's best for the environment and avoiding pesticides in our food (and wine). The rain run-off from our vineyard flows into SF Bay.
I'm just trying to minimize the effects on our neighbors & larger environment.

I think that was Kyle's question - you can do all right stuff to minimize impacts and environmental damage without paying several agencies and worrying about every product you use being certified organic. So what's the thought process behind the certification? (Also, not sure how much you've watched these boards previously, but these are honest attempts at understanding how winemakers make their decisions, not about having a preferred answer.)

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Night 2: Took the bottle out of the fridge, warmed it to just under room temp with a warm water bath then popped the cork and poured a glass.

Nose: medium to subdued. Dark red berries (blackberry pie) and coffee. Smells quite typical of Syrah now.

Palate: round warm dark berries again, a mouth filling bite of blackberry pie. There is a now pleasant smokiness behind those berries. The berries give way to cocoa, unsweetened with a very slight bitter tang. Tannins are still here, fading from dry to chalky but still a fair amount.

I like this bottle and really wish I had this at 10 years old like some of the Aussie Shiraz in my cellar.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
cmaldoon wrote:Penfolds Grange currently releases at about $600.

One of the best bottles of wine I've ever had.

This is a pretty interesting offer. Just wish SWMBO was more of a wine drinker, so it isn't such a big deal to open a bottle of wine.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
cmaldoon wrote:Night 2: Took the bottle out of the fridge, warmed it to just under room temp with a warm water bath then popped the cork and poured a glass.

Nose: medium to subdued. Dark red berries (blackberry pie) and coffee. Smells quite typical of Syrah now.

Palate: round warm dark berries again, a mouth filling bite of blackberry pie. There is a now pleasant smokiness behind those berries. The berries give way to cocoa, unsweetened with a very slight bitter tang. Tannins are still here, fading from dry to chalky but still a fair amount.

I like this bottle and really wish I had this at 10 years old like some of the Aussie Shiraz in my cellar.

Well I still have the 06 RWT waiting for you if you ever make an appearance down here

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
tytiger58 wrote:Well I still have the 06 RWT waiting for you if you ever make an appearance down here

EVIL!!! That is a wine I covet drinking.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
cmaldoon wrote:EVIL!!! That is a wine I covet drinking.

Ha and if you don't hurry I will just drink it with Klez on a Wednesday night...and he probably won't even like it

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tytiger58 wrote:Ha and if you don't hurry I will just drink it with Klez on a Wednesday night...and he probably won't even like it

Just Klez?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bcanihan

klezman wrote:I think that was Kyle's question - you can do all right stuff to minimize impacts and environmental damage without paying several agencies and worrying about every product you use being certified organic. So what's the thought process behind the certification? (Also, not sure how much you've watched these boards previously, but these are honest attempts at understanding how winemakers make their decisions, not about having a preferred answer.)

Thanks for your feedback, and you're correct in recognizing that this is the first day I've seen the wine.woot boards, so please excuse my rookie experience. Prior to making wine, I was a wine consumer, and I found that I preferred the taste of organically grown fruit over conventionally farmed fruit.
At the end of the day, it's all about your preference, and not about a certificate. I feel that organically grown wines have a much stronger sense of place (terroir), and I like them better.

bcanihan

cmaldoon wrote:Night 2: Took the bottle out of the fridge, warmed it to just under room temp with a warm water bath then popped the cork and poured a glass.

Great comments. I completely agree. I'm drinking our 2003 (friends & family pre-commercial release) now and it shows beautifully. The 2009 will benefit from 3-5 years of bottle ageing.

klezman

MarkDaSpark wrote:Just Klez?

Make the drive and join us any time!

klezman

tytiger58 wrote:Ha and if you don't hurry I will just drink it with Klez on a Wednesday night...and he probably won't even like it

Dunno...cmaldoon and I have fairly overlapping palates...