Canihan Family Cellars Sonoma Syrah 2-Pack
$59.99 $̶1̶0̶6̶.̶0̶0̶ 43% off List Price
2009 Exuberance Syrah, Sonoma Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

Sounds excellent and I love Syrah probably more than any other varietal. The Price makes me hesitate though. Any notes from anyone on these?

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

2009 Canihan Family Wines Exuberance Syrah - a Report with wings

Tonight's bottle is a striking modern bottle with gold print directly on the seemingly black bottle.

Opened at a few minutes past 7. Cork in good shape, a bit of fine sediment on it and in the neck. (No issue there)

Color: a very dark purplish red. Very well concentrated pigment. Further inspection shows it to be free of any discernible cloudiness. All is as expected.

I proceed to start making wings from a recipe Bowtie suggested in the forums last week. Wings are steaming for 10 minutes.

Nose at 25 minutes open: The first note I got was a bit musky but then I swirled and it went away for the most part. I think this is still opening. Another whiff brings a very bright pungent note, somewhat minty, somewhat acetic. This is a really odd start. Beneath these flavors I smell some dark berries but I cannot ferret them out at the moment. Hopefully this keeps opening up.

The wings are done steaming, now pat dry and place on a drying rack in the fridge for 45 minutes.

Palate at 30 min open: Ooooo there's the good stuff. Bright and medium red berries fill my mouth. I pucker a little from the acidity and then after that wears off my cheeks suck in from a large amount of very dry tannins. I love FEELING my wine and this hits that button nicely. Back to flavors: on the fore there are red berries upon red berries. As I get used to the wine it's not as bright, call it bing cherry and not quite ripe red plum. The middle carries through the cherry, adds the acidity from a ripe pineapple and then starts in on the wonderful dry tannins (yes, the tannins start showing up in the middle). There are also notes in the middle of asparagus (mid green), mint (bright), and a light soy or chocolate. On the finish, the tannins continue to massage my tongue for over 30 seconds while a slightly musky/smoky caramel flavor fades away.

Nose at 1 hour: What was musty before is now smoky, like smelling your clothes after a campfire An interesting note that I am torn on whether to like or not. The pungent note has mellowed and now is a fresh minty note that may be alcohol showing through (though I'd be shocked at only 14%) under these two notes the wine is not terribly talkative. The mint blends into a red note and makes me think of very tart oranges while the smoke blends into the deeper tones and leaves me with some coffee. I wonder if the nose will develop more with time. Luckily I'm a palate kind of guy.

Wings are out of the fridge and into a 425° oven for 20 min on one side and then 20 on the other or until golden brown and crispified.

At this point I am a bit hungry so I indulge myself with a bit of Emmentaler "Sweet and buttery with a mellow nutty flavor"

The cheese does as most cheeses will with wine, it rounds the edges making it more pleasing to most. In this case, the wine takes on a round fruity character that starts at cherry and descends to a grapey plum. The kick at the beginning and the grippy tannins at the end hardly show up. This is now a very smooth wine. I like the contrast and proceed to enjoy: cheese then wine... Then water... Then wine then cheese. Very different.

Nose at a bit before 2 hours: The nose is pretty mild now. A brief bit of cherries, some dustiness.

Palate: This is now also calmed down from its earlier rambunctiousness. Round cherry has blended in with the asparagus/artichoke flavor, the tannins have receded to the finish and are much tamer. A dark note broods up from the middle bubbling with chocolate which makes the still lingering acidity taste like raspberries along side.

The wings are crispy and out of the oven. Tossed with a spicy BBQ sauce, garlic, and butter, they are a great compliment. This wine deals surprisingly well with the tang of the sauce. Most wines would bow completely out where as this one still has enough spunk to be enjoyable alongside.

Coming up on 10 now and time for this to be up. Final impressions: Nose of mint, dust, and dark berries. Palate of mid to dark red fruits, good acidity, a bit of interesting green and soy. Finish of a mid amount of drying tannins that linger. This is a very good quality, deeply concentrated, balanced, Syrah that for once seems built to last.

Cheers!

Oh yeah... The wings are good too. The bigger ones are better and eat them while they are hot!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

I happened to pick up a bottle of this wine today and popped it as soon as I got home 9:30pm..long day uggh.

I am getting a lot of blueberry and a hint of meat on the nose which I like.

Poured a glass and let it rest for 15 minutes I taste plums blueberry on the attack with some tart blackberry and something green in the mid palate. Good acid with powerful tannin that has a little bitterness on the finish, I do like strong tannin so this is no problem for me.

After a half an hour the wine has become much smoother and added a hint of coco powder. I need to throw something together for dinner and will report back later because the wine and I need some food.

Edit:

Threw together a burger and some salad, the wine did much better with some red meat. A bit of funk and alcohol on the nose now and gets much bigger as it opens up.

IMO this wine needs time to come together, it's a little bigger than the Syrahs I have been drinking lately NTTAWWT and a fair deal depending on the type of Syrah you like.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

bcanihan

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bcanihan

I'm glad to hear our Exuberance Syrah evolved and stood-up to your wings. I think I'll pair it with wings for dinner.
Enjoy,

Bill Canihan

cmaldoon wrote:2009 Canihan Family Wines Exuberance Syrah - a Report with wings

Tonight's bottle is a striking modern bottle with gold print directly on the seemingly black bottle.

Opened at a few minutes past 7. Cork in good shape, a bit of fine sediment on it and in the neck. (No issue there)

Color: a very dark purplish red. Very well concentrated pigment. Further inspection shows it to be free of any discernible cloudiness. All is as expected.

I proceed to start making wings from a recipe Bowtie suggested in the forums last week. Wings are steaming for 10 minutes.

Nose at 25 minutes open: The first note I got was a bit musky but then I swirled and it went away for the most part. I think this is still opening. Another whiff brings a very bright pungent note, somewhat minty, somewhat acetic. This is a really odd start. Beneath these flavors I smell some dark berries but I cannot ferret them out at the moment. Hopefully this keeps opening up.

The wings are done steaming, now pat dry and place on a drying rack in the fridge for 45 minutes.

Palate at 30 min open: Ooooo there's the good stuff. Bright and medium red berries fill my mouth. I pucker a little from the acidity and then after that wears off my cheeks suck in from a large amount of very dry tannins. I love FEELING my wine and this hits that button nicely. Back to flavors: on the fore there are red berries upon red berries. As I get used to the wine it's not as bright, call it bing cherry and not quite ripe red plum. The middle carries through the cherry, adds the acidity from a ripe pineapple and then starts in on the wonderful dry tannins (yes, the tannins start showing up in the middle). There are also notes in the middle of asparagus (mid green), mint (bright), and a light soy or chocolate. On the finish, the tannins continue to massage my tongue for over 30 seconds while a slightly musky/smoky caramel flavor fades away.

Nose at 1 hour: What was musty before is now smoky, like smelling your clothes after a campfire An interesting note that I am torn on whether to like or not. The pungent note has mellowed and now is a fresh minty note that may be alcohol showing through (though I'd be shocked at only 14%) under these two notes the wine is not terribly talkative. The mint blends into a red note and makes me think of very tart oranges while the smoke blends into the deeper tones and leaves me with some coffee. I wonder if the nose will develop more with time. Luckily I'm a palate kind of guy.

Wings are out of the fridge and into a 425° oven for 20 min on one side and then 20 on the other or until golden brown and crispified.

At this point I am a bit hungry so I indulge myself with a bit of Emmentaler "Sweet and buttery with a mellow nutty flavor"

The cheese does as most cheeses will with wine, it rounds the edges making it more pleasing to most. In this case, the wine takes on a round fruity character that starts at cherry and descends to a grapey plum. The kick at the beginning and the grippy tannins at the end hardly show up. This is now a very smooth wine. I like the contrast and proceed to enjoy: cheese then wine... Then water... Then wine then cheese. Very different.

Nose at a bit before 2 hours: The nose is pretty mild now. A brief bit of cherries, some dustiness.

Palate: This is now also calmed down from its earlier rambunctiousness. Round cherry has blended in with the asparagus/artichoke flavor, the tannins have receded to the finish and are much tamer. A dark note broods up from the middle bubbling with chocolate which makes the still lingering acidity taste like raspberries along side.

The wings are crispy and out of the oven. Tossed with a spicy BBQ sauce, garlic, and butter, they are a great compliment. This wine deals surprisingly well with the tang of the sauce. Most wines would bow completely out where as this one still has enough spunk to be enjoyable alongside.

Coming up on 10 now and time for this to be up. Final impressions: Nose of mint, dust, and dark berries. Palate of mid to dark red fruits, good acidity, a bit of interesting green and soy. Finish of a mid amount of drying tannins that linger. This is a very good quality, deeply concentrated, balanced, Syrah that for once seems built to last.

Cheers!

Oh yeah... The wings are good too. The bigger ones are better and eat them while they are hot!

uhoerhold

quality posts: 11 Private Messages uhoerhold

This may sound stupid, but I'm a little put off by the bottles. First of all, it makes me wonder how much extra I'm paying for the fancy bottle with the cool gold lettering. Secondly, I'm wondering how the oddly shaped bottle will fit in my racks.

vineaux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vineaux
uhoerhold wrote:This may sound stupid, but I'm a little put off by the bottles. First of all, it makes me wonder how much extra I'm paying for the fancy bottle with the cool gold lettering. Secondly, I'm wondering how the oddly shaped bottle will fit in my racks.

Nice bottle sometimes slips off as you stack on other Rhone-like bottles. Like foods, nice presentation often confers/enhances taste, yes?
But is it worth wooting when it is priced about the same at the store? Like https://sonomas-best.com/wineclub/product_info.php?cPath=93_77&products_id=557

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
vineaux wrote:Nice bottle sometimes slips off as you stack on other Rhone-like bottles. Like foods, nice presentation often confers/enhances taste, yes?
But is it worth wooting when it is priced about the same at the store? Like https://sonomas-best.com/wineclub/product_info.php?cPath=93_77&products_id=557

Careful, your bias is showing. Not all of us live within driving distance of said store, and if you factor shipping it's probably a better deal than you think.

Also, I'm glad the wings came out. AB got it right.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I do believe the DFW folks tasted this. I hope to see some reviews from y'all soon.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cmaldoon

uhoerhold wrote:This may sound stupid, but I'm a little put off by the bottles. First of all, it makes me wonder how much extra I'm paying for the fancy bottle with the cool gold lettering. Secondly, I'm wondering how the oddly shaped bottle will fit in my racks.

I can't solve your gold lettering issue (I personally find it classy) but as for shape. It isn't so large or oddly shaped. It fits in my rack as well or better than all my other rhone styled bottles.

My Cellar

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
ThunderThighs wrote:I do believe the DFW folks tasted this. I hope to see some reviews from y'all soon.

As a matter of fact I was just pulling out my notes. Caveat, this was one of about a dozen
wines tasted that night so you won't get the same detail as the ones posted above.

The Exuberance was a deep purple color with long legs when swirled. On the nose, I got plum, some black pepper, and something I couldn't place - it may have been the cedar in the product description.
On the palate the tannins were in your face. This wine definitely needs bottle age or significant decanting. After the tannin attack I did pick up plum on the palate.
The finish at this point was all tannin.
The wine did get passed around again after an hour or so, and I remember liking it better, but by then, between the other wines and spicy barbecue, I don't have any notes or specific recollection.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice

We had this wine on Saturday night at the DFW Woot dinner. The color was a dark purple, violet at the edges and opaque as expected. The nose was very strange and very hard to define, and not appealing. Did not pick up any berry or other fruit notes, nor tobacco, cedar or tar like in other Syrahs I have had. It was moderately tart with medium plus tannins, and a short finish. The nose carried over into the taste and again it was a strange flavor. Maybe this wine needs more time to open up but there wasn’t an opportunity to go back and taste it again later. The packaging is certainly elegant but the wine didn't pass muster at our end of the table. This is a pass for me.

Z

bcanihan

Good Morning Wine Wooters,
Bill Canihan here, owner, founder & winemaker of today's Exuberance Syrah offer.
I look forward to answering your questions and sharing more about our winery.

bcanihan

cortot20 wrote:Sounds excellent and I love Syrah probably more than any other varietal. The Price makes me hesitate though. Any notes from anyone on these?

Due to our dry-farming and Certified Organic vineyard, our yields are less than 2 tons per acre, as compared with conventionally farmed Syrah that can yield 5-6 tons per acre. At a blind tasting of the San Francisco Vintners Club, the group chose Exuberance over well-recognized producers from Napa & France that had price tags of $150-$500. We were thrilled.

bcanihan

zmanonice wrote:We had this wine on Saturday night at the DFW Woot dinner. The color was a dark purple, violet at the edges and opaque as expected. The nose was very strange and very hard to define, and not appealing. Did not pick up any berry or other fruit notes, nor tobacco, cedar or tar like in other Syrahs I have had. It was moderately tart with medium plus tannins, and a short finish. The nose carried over into the taste and again it was a strange flavor. Maybe this wine needs more time to open up but there wasn’t an opportunity to go back and taste it again later. The packaging is certainly elegant but the wine didn't pass muster at our end of the table. This is a pass for me.

Z

I'm sorry that this wasn't one of your favorite Syrahs lately. The 2009 vintage was cool for our vineyard, which resulted in tannins a bit larger than typical vintages. I'd suggest letting the 2009 breathe for a few hours. It needs time to fully-open. I invite you to visit us when you are in Sonoma, and taste our Pinot Noir & Cab Franc.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
bcanihan wrote:Due to our dry-farming and Certified Organic vineyard, our yields are less than 2 tons per acre, as compared with conventionally farmed Syrah that can yield 5-6 tons per acre. At a blind tasting of the San Francisco Vintners Club, the group chose Exuberance over well-recognized producers from Napa & France that had price tags of $150-$500. We were thrilled.

What $500 Syrah did this beat? What $500 Syrah exists? $150 is alone exceptionally steep for Syrah, although I am familiar with some Cornas that retails in the $100 range and SQN is in the $150 range so there are Syrahs in the $150 range, albeit very few. The $500 mark sounds unbelievable, to be honest (although that doesn't mean it isn't true).

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cmaldoon

zmanonice wrote:We had this wine on Saturday night at the DFW Woot dinner. The color was a dark purple, violet at the edges and opaque as expected. The nose was very strange and very hard to define, and not appealing. Did not pick up any berry or other fruit notes, nor tobacco, cedar or tar like in other Syrahs I have had. It was moderately tart with medium plus tannins, and a short finish. The nose carried over into the taste and again it was a strange flavor. Maybe this wine needs more time to open up but there wasn’t an opportunity to go back and taste it again later. The packaging is certainly elegant but the wine didn't pass muster at our end of the table. This is a pass for me.

Z

I definetly experienced similar things as you did on this one at the beginning. I know that syrahs can be made in a very dense and possibly reductive manner sometimes so I made sure to let mine have time to breathe. I wouldn't be surprised if this wine is better tonight than it was last night. This Syrah seems built to last.

My Cellar

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
bcanihan wrote:I invite you to visit us when you are in Sonoma, and taste our Pinot Noir & Cab Franc.

Thanks for joining the boards today! Welcome.

I was browsing your website and couldn't find any information about stopping in for a tasting visit. Is this something we would need to contact you directly about?

EDIT: Dug a bit deeper and saw on the winery map that you are appt only. What are typically good times?

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cmaldoon wrote:I definetly experienced similar things as you did on this one at the beginning. I know that syrahs can be made in a very dense and possibly reductive manner sometimes so I made sure to let mine have time to breathe. I wouldn't be surprised if this wine is better tonight than it was last night. This Syrah seems built to last.

Shilly chime in: I didn't take notes, but thoroughly enjoyed 'tasting' this one over two days. It showed no signs of stopping on day two. Quality. Black Tie status.

I think Mr. CMaldoon is correct: "This is a very good quality, deeply concentrated, balanced, Syrah that for once seems built to last. "

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:What $500 Syrah did this beat? What $500 Syrah exists? $150 is alone exceptionally steep for Syrah, although I am familiar with some Cornas that retails in the $100 range and SQN is in the $150 range so there are Syrahs in the $150 range, albeit very few. The $500 mark sounds unbelievable, to be honest (although that doesn't mean it isn't true).

I wondered a little, but yes, there are Syrahs that expensive. Ever hear of Sine Qua Non ...

2006 Sine Qua Non Raven Syrah -- $465.00
2007 Sine Qua Non Labels Syrah -- $500.00 (on the site I found, $300 on Wine.com)
2008 Cayuse Amanda Vineyard Syrah -- $300.00
2008 Cayuse En Cerise Vineyard Syrah -- $385.00
2010 Saxum Paderwski Vineyard -- $310.00
2002 Lewis Cellars Cuvee L Napa Valley Syrah ($175)

Worth its weight in gold? / Why some people happily pay $500 for a bottle of wine

Edit: 2007 Sine Qua Non Dangerous Birds Syrah -- $525.00

And that was the cheapest for it!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cmaldoon

kylemittskus wrote:What $500 Syrah did this beat? What $500 Syrah exists? $150 is alone exceptionally steep for Syrah, although I am familiar with some Cornas that retails in the $100 range and SQN is in the $150 range so there are Syrahs in the $150 range, albeit very few. The $500 mark sounds unbelievable, to be honest (although that doesn't mean it isn't true).

Penfolds Grange currently releases at about $600.

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:Sounds excellent and I love Syrah probably more than any other varietal. The Price makes me hesitate though. Any notes from anyone on these?

You want to buy one set and split it?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote: Ever hear of Sine Qua Non ...

Rather an odd question, since he mentioned SQN in his post.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus

cmaldoon wrote:Penfolds Grange currently releases at about $600.

That's a good call. And the SQNs Sparky mentioned are all secondary market so they wouldn't be in the same price category as cited since that wasn't the release price.

Perhaps I should be more specific. What Syrah(s) that retail(s) at $500 that are submitted for competition (and not magazine scoring) did this wine beat? What wines under $500 but over $150 did this beat?

cmaldoon

Kyle. I actually think that you and tytiger would probably like this wine and that you two would also be apt to let it breathe enough. You should goad him into getting a set and then opening one with you! :-P Buy wine vicariously through your nearby woot bretheren!

My Cellar

cmaldoon

Actually I'll one up that. If you or Tytiger buys a set and do not like the first, I will buy or trade the other from you at whatever the woot total cost for a bottle is.

My Cellar

bcanihan

Thank you for your comments.
While the label is 14k gold, and the glass is from Saver Glass in France (pricey) the added expense of label & glass is less than $3/bottle as compared to lesser quality glass (with obvious flaws)and a paper label. The farming costs are the expensive ingredient, exceeding $10/bottle. Farming costs are high due to the costs of dry-farming (1/4th the yield) and being certified organic, which requires additional labor, such as weed removal by shovel rather than the use of sprays.

Thank you,

kylemittskus

bcanihan wrote:Thank you for your comments.
While the label is 14k gold, and the glass is from Saver Glass in France (pricey) the added expense of label & glass is less than $3/bottle as compared to lesser quality glass (with obvious flaws)and a paper label. The farming costs are the expensive ingredient, exceeding $10/bottle. Farming costs are high due to the costs of dry-farming (1/4th the yield) and being certified organic, which requires additional labor, such as weed removal by shovel rather than the use of sprays.

Thank you,

How much is the certification fee to be able to legally say that you're "certified organic"? One-time or yearly payment?

bcanihan

kylemittskus wrote:That's a good call. And the SQNs Sparky mentioned are all secondary market so they wouldn't be in the same price category as cited since that wasn't the release price.

Perhaps I should be more specific. What Syrah(s) that retail(s) at $500 that are submitted for competition (and not magazine scoring) did this wine beat? What wines under $500 but over $150 did this beat?

Thank you for your message.
In 2011 the Vintners Club (www.vintnersclub.org) held Tasting # 1497 where the 2007 vintage Exuberance ranked higher than the Shafer Vineyards, Relentless ($70), the M. Chapoutier, Ermitage "Le Pavillon" Northern Rhone ($163), and the Chateau de Beaucastel, Homage a Jacques Perrin, Grande Cuvee, Chateauneuf-du-Pape($502).
One year earlier,(Tasting # 1489) the Exuberance Syrah
out-rated Stephan Vineyards, L'Aventure Cote-a-Cote Estate, Paso Robles ($93), Chateau de Beaucastel, Chateauneuf-du-Pape ($82), Colgin Cellars, IX Estate Syrah ($192), and Shafer Relentless ($66). Granted, this was a tasting of 2007 vintage Syrah & Rhone Blends; however, we've not submitted the two recent vintages to the Vintners Club (because being a 1-person winery is super busy). Thank you!

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Rather an odd question, since he mentioned SQN in his post.

Noticed that AFTER I posted.

Sheesh! Don't you have a classroom of chillen to corrupt?

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
cmaldoon wrote:Kyle. I actually think that you and tytiger would probably like this wine and that you two would also be apt to let it breathe enough. You should goad him into getting a set and then opening one with you! :-P Buy wine vicariously through your nearby woot bretheren!

Phew, you left my name off that one! This sounds like an interesting wine, to be sure, and I'm hoping tytiger has some left that I can sample tonight.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bcanihan

kylemittskus wrote:How much is the certification fee to be able to legally say that you're "certified organic"? One-time or yearly payment?

The California Certified Organic Farmer's Certificate is based on tonnage, and since ours is relatively low (less than 20 tons annually grown on 14 acres) the cost for the annual audit and certificate approximates $600. The State of CA Dept of Food & Agriculture charges an additional $300-$400 annually.
While these fees are reasonable, the added costs of not using commercial, non-organic products in the vineyard results in labor costs approximately twice that of conventionally-farmed vineyards. Thank you,

btphillips

quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips

I've had the '05, '06 and '07 and while they were solid, especially with an hour or so of air, I can't say I was blown away. At $30+ per bottle, this has to be a pass for me. I'm not saying it's not a well-made product, it's just that I like a bit more there there for 30 bucks.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
klezman wrote:Phew, you left my name off that one! This sounds like an interesting wine, to be sure, and I'm hoping tytiger has some left that I can sample tonight.

That was my intention but I left the bottle in my fridge last night and I think my daughter and her boyfriend loved it because the bottle was drained this morning

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

bcanihan wrote:Thank you for your message.
In 2011 the Vintners Club (www.vintnersclub.org) held Tasting # 1497 where the 2007 vintage Exuberance ranked higher than the Shafer Vineyards, Relentless ($70), the M. Chapoutier, Ermitage "Le Pavillon" Northern Rhone ($163), and the Chateau de Beaucastel, Homage a Jacques Perrin, Grande Cuvee, Chateauneuf-du-Pape($502).
One year earlier,(Tasting # 1489) the Exuberance Syrah
out-rated Stephan Vineyards, L'Aventure Cote-a-Cote Estate, Paso Robles ($93), Chateau de Beaucastel, Chateauneuf-du-Pape ($82), Colgin Cellars, IX Estate Syrah ($192), and Shafer Relentless ($66). Granted, this was a tasting of 2007 vintage Syrah & Rhone Blends; however, we've not submitted the two recent vintages to the Vintners Club (because being a 1-person winery is super busy). Thank you!

Well done and thanks for the specifics. I find it odd that they put yours, a 100% Syrah up against a CdP, at least 51% Grenache, but still well done.

kylemittskus

bcanihan wrote:The California Certified Organic Farmer's Certificate is based on tonnage, and since ours is relatively low (less than 20 tons annually grown on 14 acres) the cost for the annual audit and certificate approximates $600. The State of CA Dept of Food & Agriculture charges an additional $300-$400 annually.
While these fees are reasonable, the added costs of not using commercial, non-organic products in the vineyard results in labor costs approximately twice that of conventionally-farmed vineyards. Thank you,

Thanks for another very detailed answer. Out of curiosity, why spend the $1k? Why not just do your thing and save the $$?

bcanihan

trifecta wrote:Thanks for joining the boards today! Welcome.

I was browsing your website and couldn't find any information about stopping in for a tasting visit. Is this something we would need to contact you directly about?

EDIT: Dug a bit deeper and saw on the winery map that you are appt only. What are typically good times?

Typically Saturdays between 11 am & 4pm are best, and Tues-Fri between 11am & 1pm, but yes, I'm usually conduction the tours & tastings which typically consist of two Pinot Noirs & two Syrahs and occasionally a Cab Franc, Rose or Viognier. For a reservation, please email bill@canihanwines.com Thank you!

bcanihan

kylemittskus wrote:Thanks for another very detailed answer. Out of curiosity, why spend the $1k? Why not just do your thing and save the $$?

It's really not so much about the cost of organic certification (less than 1/2% of our annual fixed operating costs) but rather more about doing what's best for the environment and avoiding pesticides in our food (and wine). The rain run-off from our vineyard flows into SF Bay.
I'm just trying to minimize the effects on our neighbors & larger environment.

bcanihan

kylemittskus wrote:Well done and thanks for the specifics. I find it odd that they put yours, a 100% Syrah up against a CdP, at least 51% Grenache, but still well done.

I agree that it's a bit odd for a 100% Syrah to be tasted alongside a CNdP, but I think their goal was to compare & contrast Rhones vs. California, and clearly the California wines were preferred in the blind tasting.