MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!!

When I works, I works Hard.
When I plays, I plays Hard.
And when I thinks, I falls Asleep.

Sorry for falling asleep!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Cross Post from old Pub:

polarbear22 wrote:Thank you, prayers appreciated.

It does seem to come in threes, so I hope I am all done. And for a while.

We all hope so ....

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of September 8
Summer may be unofficially over, but it's never to late to...Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

September
9/20: Chicago #?: Wine & Appetizers in Lemont
9/28: SoCal #28: Sparky & zTimBz OC Wine Locker Redux
TBD: Atlanta #1

October
Oct. 5th: Seattle @ Oola Distillery
Late Oct: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead

Fat and Phat Goose still available (for 12 more minutes).

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Been awhile since I've posted here.... Going to have to catch up on some of the old pubs. Lots has happened.. Apparently no more shipping to NY? Just had to ship my phatgoose over to CA. Nine weeks left until graduation for me (associates). Then start junior year in January.

MarkDaSpark

Itwdswafo wrote:Been awhile since I've posted here.... Going to have to catch up on some of the old pubs. Lots has happened.. Apparently no more shipping to NY? Just had to ship my phatgoose over to CA. Nine weeks left until graduation for me (associates). Then start junior year in January.

Yep, and no more to others as well. Blame the NYSLA for protecting the Distributors.

Itwdswafo

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yep, and no more to others as well. Blame the NYSLA for protecting the Distributors.

Darn sticks in the mud.... Wouldn't be a problem if the distributors out here sold wine for cheap. But they don't...

MarkDaSpark

Itwdswafo wrote:Darn sticks in the mud.... Wouldn't be a problem if the distributors out here sold wine for cheap. But they don't...

... which is why they are stopping WW.

Itwdswafo

MarkDaSpark wrote:... which is why they are stopping WW.

At first I read that wrong....

Is there a thread on this? Seems like there would be, but can't find it. Don't want to spam it up here.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Those of you that pay a company to cellar your wine. Got a question (well, probably a few) for ya.

Do you pay that company for insuring the wine you have on their premises? Cat & I are looking to cellar probably somewhere along the lines of 25 cases or so. And the place currently on the top of our list (Vintage Wine Warehouse) has the option for the insurance, charging 1.85% of declared value. Trying to decide if we'd want to do this if we store our wine there.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
HitAnyKey42 wrote:charging 1.85% of declared value

per..... ?

MarkDaSpark

Itwdswafo wrote:At first I read that wrong....

Is there a thread on this? Seems like there would be, but can't find it. Don't want to spam it up here.

Not really, I thought there was, but we mostly covered it in the Aug 19 CyberPub and various Wine offer threads.

I'll start one now ...

Edit: Done.

HitAnyKey42

mother wrote:per..... ?

Per year. So if we store $10,000 worth of wine, it would cost $185 a year.

Also, does anyone use or know anyone that uses InsureYourWine for their wine collection coverage? This one might be a good idea for us also, since then we could get something that covers our wine both at home and at the storage unit. And theirs seems to be only 0.75% (0.75 per $100) as their annual premium.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Per year. So if we store $10,000 worth of wine, it would cost $185 a year.

Also, does anyone use or know anyone that uses InsureYourWine for their wine collection coverage? This one might be a good idea for us also, since then we could get something that covers our wine both at home and at the storage unit. And theirs seems to be only 0.75% (0.75 per $100) as their annual premium.

Check with your homeowners/rental insurance. Mine is covered by my State Farm policies.

mother

MarkDaSpark wrote:Check with your homeowners/rental insurance. Mine is covered by my State Farm policies.

Mine was covered by my noname company policy, but only as it was for stored for my consumption and in no way an investment.

I'd also compare what kinds of coverage the two places are offering. Agreed value? Replacement cost? Original cost?

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:Mine was covered by my noname company policy, but only as it was for stored for my consumption and in no way an investment.

I'd also compare what kinds of coverage the two places are offering. Agreed value? Replacement cost? Original cost?

Of course it's all for consumption!!

But good points on the rest. Forgot to mention those.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Per year. So if we store $10,000 worth of wine, it would cost $185 a year.

Check this thread out on WB.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

HitAnyKey42

MarkDaSpark wrote:Check with your homeowners/rental insurance. Mine is covered by my State Farm policies.

I seem to recall the last time I had checked with my Liberty Mutual guy, it wasn't covered (or it was only loss by fire/theft or something very limited like that being claimed along with anything else in the condo up to the total limit). Though I also don't believe I asked him anything about off-site storage at that time either. All I remember offhand is that my policy has a $40k "Personal Property with Replacement Cost" coverage line on it.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Twisted Oak things are happening in Carson City and Reno, this weekend! Happy dance!

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

My son has an opportunity to go to Germany with one of his friends from school. They'll be gone for 2-1/2 weeks, and he pretty much only has to pay for his plane ticket, and then some spending money, since his friend's mom is originally from the Mother Land, so they'll be able to stay with family. My son will be 12 when this occurs. I think it's a great opportunity for him, and think it'll be a great experience, and think that it'll make him grow up/mature from it. My wife is a little more cool to the idea, particularly that it will be such a long time. Thoughts?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I seem to recall the last time I had checked with my Liberty Mutual guy, it wasn't covered (or it was only loss by fire/theft or something very limited like that being claimed along with anything else in the condo up to the total limit). Though I also don't believe I asked him anything about off-site storage at that time either. All I remember offhand is that my policy has a $40k "Personal Property with Replacement Cost" coverage line on it.

Read your policy thoroughly. Most homeowner's policies will cover property valued at up to 10% of the total contents limit when stored at a remote location. So if your contents limit (or personal property limit, or furnishings limit...) is $40k, then up to $4k in value at a remote location will be covered.

If your goods are valued at more than that 10% figure,they are essentially not covered. Additionally, if they would be considered as a "scheduled item" (similar to jewelry, high end electronics, etc.), then they are not covered at all.

If a loss occurs, the insurance company will determine the valuation of the loss. If you disagree with their valuation, you will probably be required to go to arbitration. That is spelled out somewhere in the terms of insurance coverage.

So it seems you have 3 basic options to consider:
1) Do nothing and take your chances.
2) Talk with your current homeowners insurance agent and see what your options are within your current policy (or can be added on at some cost).
3) Take out one of these specialty policies.

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
otolith wrote:My son has an opportunity to go to Germany with one of his friends from school. They'll be gone for 2-1/2 weeks, and he pretty much only has to pay for his plane ticket, and then some spending money, since his friend's mom is originally from the Mother Land, so they'll be able to stay with family. My son will be 12 when this occurs. I think it's a great opportunity for him, and think it'll be a great experience, and think that it'll make him grow up/mature from it. My wife is a little more cool to the idea, particularly that it will be such a long time. Thoughts?

What a wonderful opportunity, assuming you know and are comfortable with 'family', and think of the return shipping opportunity for some otherwise unavailable here juice. They ran them young in Appalachia didn't they?

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

I currently use InsureYourWine. Works for me because I do have storage in multiple states. They let you assign value to each location of storage and charge you the varying rate based on that value. You will see once you get the quote, but there is a minimum policy amount of 200/yr. Because I this I quoted my value a bit higher until my % reached that minimum. I did this so that as I add wine to both locations I won't have to update the value insured, at least not soon I hope .

I will repeat what others have already stated about your home policies and I looked into this pretty closely at the time I picked up the separate wine insurance policy. Unless you have a super duper special policy and have specific langauge about wine, you are only going to get coverage for theft and fire. Not earthquake, not your cooling unit breaking, not flood (this varies). Also, the value assigned to the wine that are stolen or damaged in fire is up to the adjuster and they make no specific reference to how those values are set. I wouldn't want to be in the position of having to argue values after something like that.

The other thing I really like about the separate policy was that the wine was covered in transit, either by a private company or yourself. When I moved 30 cases of wine out of state recently this was a huge stress reducer. I think it is worth it, but YMMV depending on how reliable your storage and transport are (temperature and security).

mother

otolith wrote:My son has an opportunity to go to Germany with one of his friends from school. They'll be gone for 2-1/2 weeks, and he pretty much only has to pay for his plane ticket, and then some spending money, since his friend's mom is originally from the Mother Land, so they'll be able to stay with family. My son will be 12 when this occurs. I think it's a great opportunity for him, and think it'll be a great experience, and think that it'll make him grow up/mature from it. My wife is a little more cool to the idea, particularly that it will be such a long time. Thoughts?

Does he go to sleepaway camp during the summer? Not much of a difference 'being away from mommy' wise...

otolith

mother wrote:Does he go to sleepaway camp during the summer? Not much of a difference 'being away from mommy' wise...

He's gone away for a week at a time, but that is at least driving distance. This is a little further away, which is what I think makes us a little nervous. I think if he earns it this first semester of school, then he can go.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

My uninformed, childless-person opinion is that it sounds great! Adventure!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
chemvictim wrote:My uninformed, childless-person opinion is that it sounds great! Adventure!

My logical yet illogically anxious, helicopter-parent brain brain agrees, but I wouldn't sleep until he came home.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

Agree with everyone so far. Just make sure he knows to tell everyone that "his dad makes Liam Neeson in Taken look like Julia Child. His Seal Team training really comes in handy!".

Itwdswafo

Thanks sparky!

Insurance: it was covered n my state farm insurance, and now it's covered under my ussa insurance, which protects my belongings from "accidents" no matter where in the US they are. Just talk with your insurance provider to see what your options are.

Germany: my parents allowed me to do this (though I was 16), and I was very appreciative that I was able to go. They still have yet to ever been to Europe... And I did have to call home every day.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

what a great opportunity!! as far as thoughts... as a mom of a 15 and 13year old.... how mature is your son? Can he handle being away from home? How well do you know the family he will be going with? How comfortable are you with the family? will your son be able to hang out with his friend without going crazy? Does your son have any medical issues? if you decide to let him go, just have him text daily to reassure you.. if it was my kid.. and I was totally comfortable with the family, I'd let him go...

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

I think it is such a wonderful opportunity! He'll have a chance to practice the language that he is already studying in school and to experience the culture firsthand. When kids of that age travel, I love to be with them and see what they see through their eyes. They do pay attention to signs and make all kinds of connections to what they have already learned and what they will be learning. Being that he will be with his friend and the Mom, it sounds like a great situation.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

otolith

bahwm wrote:

Thanks for the always insightful input!

--John Muir

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
otolith wrote:Thanks for the always insightful input!

You're welcome!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

otolith

I trust the mom, and my son is pretty laid back and gets along with most everyone. He is a fairly passive person, so I think this would be a great experience for him. He does get to return a couple years from now, when I think the whole family will go--we have had a few Interns who have lived with us that we'd have to visit. Also, if this gives him the incentive to start taking more initiative, I'm all for it (the "earning" part of it that he'd need to meet by the end of the year). And yes, he'd have to contact us every day.

--John Muir

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Those of you that pay a company to cellar your wine. Got a question (well, probably a few) for ya.

Do you pay that company for insuring the wine you have on their premises? Cat & I are looking to cellar probably somewhere along the lines of 25 cases or so. And the place currently on the top of our list (Vintage Wine Warehouse) has the option for the insurance, charging 1.85% of declared value. Trying to decide if we'd want to do this if we store our wine there.

Never mind. Covered in way better detail already.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

As others have said, a great opportunity. On the practical side, make sure you give legal power of attorney for emergency medical decisions to the friend's mom/dad before the trip.

I took son's friend with us on a 10 day road trip when they were about 16. I made sure the parents gave me that. For the US, it can be a notarized self-written doc. Int'l, you. may want to check.

You may also need to supply a document that it's ok for them to leave the country with your son.

PS: warn him that the customs people may pull him aside to ask him if he is traveling under duress. They did that with my son on one of our trips. I forget where.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Great start to the day. Biometric wellness testing in our office today for our medical insurance. I haven't been to a doctor in probably about 15 years, so wasn't sure how the results would come out.

Cholesterol - This was my biggest fear...nailed it. Total cholesterol 158 and HDL 46.

Glucose - Also a fear, and should get tested further anyway, but for the time being....nailed it. 93

Blood Pressure - Initial reading was bad...189/112. Retook it, 160/104. Still not good, but then she rattled off things which could increase blood pressure, stress - check, lack of sleep - check (only 4 hrs last night), cold or allergy medicine - check (not thinking this morning I took a claritin-D).

Still need to keep my eye on the BP, but this should keep my wife off my back about going to a doctor for a little while (hopefully until next year's test!).

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ThunderThighs

Staff

@North: Get a home blood pressure monitor. I've heard the full arm cuff is more accurate than a wrist one. Check your BP regularly over a couple weeks. Take those results to your doctor.

Another thing to do is if you have a friend/nurse/doctor that can take your blood pressure at the same time for the first couple times so you can see how accurate your machine is. I did that with the school nurse and she said mine was pretty much spot on.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
ThunderThighs wrote:@North: Get a home blood pressure monitor. I've heard the full arm cuff is more accurate than a wrist one. Check your BP regularly over a couple weeks. Take those results to your doctor.

Another thing to do is if you have a friend/nurse/doctor that can take your blood pressure at the same time for the first couple times so you can see how accurate your machine is. I did that with the school nurse and she said mine was pretty much spot on.

Sounds like too much work.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ThunderThighs

Staff

North316 wrote:Sounds like too much work.

Then check it every time you go to the grocery store or pharmacy that has one of those BP machines. My doc said those are surprisingly accurate.