Angelo Negro Langhe Nebbiolo - 3 Pack
$74.99 $̶1̶1̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 37% off List Price
2011 Angelo Langhe Nebbiolo
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

Unoaked full-malo Nebbiolo? Sounds interesting, has anybody tried this?

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:Unoaked full-malo Nebbiolo? Sounds interesting, has anybody tried this?

Notes coming later, got home late and couldn't give it justice last night.
Initial, too cold, PnP nice and clear in the glass, seems lighter style from my limited knowledge, but label claims 14%. Closed but fruity nose, smooth entry but even so tannins announce themselves in a pleasant way. This seems like it will open up nicely if I could give it some time I don't have just now.
Very little Nebbiolo in the cellar, but I think that will be changing before the day ends.

I work in La Jolla, so does the importer. I should visit more often.

CT

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

A seemingly lost gentleman who apparently was abducted by a FedEx truck made his daring escape at my house when the FedEx driver was busy juggling a delivery with getting a signature and watching that the neighbors dogs will not slobber all over him.
A quick dash to my house brought a slightly chubby, balding man in his 50s to my doorstep who sported a shirt looking like this:

He spoke in tongues and I could only understand things that sounded like "Scusi", "Signore", "Dove", ...."Trattoria".
What caught my attention that in all this time he clutched a little brown box as if his life depended on it.
But he also glanced nervously at my smart phone I was sporting and started to gesture vividly.
A few gestures later, he handed me the mysterious box and I let him use my smart phone where he immediately brought up Google Maps and started typing and swiping around.
Meanwhile, the FedEx driver was almost finished at the neighbors house and turned towards our house, looking tense and accelerating his stride.
Suddenly, my phone fell to the floor and I saw the blue-shirted man making a daring dash across the street and around the corner.

I was left pondering what to do with this brown box that the FedEx driver would not retrieve.

A few hours later I opened this box to find the wine that I surprisingly see being offered on Woot just a few days later.

Needless to say I was thirsty after this experience and decided to careful uncork the bottle.
Strikingly the cork was one of the most 'unstained' corks I have ever seen - this was not bottled a long time ago.

I did not have much experience with Nebbiolo at all before, so I was trying to see what am I getting there?
The nose seemed tight, yet fruity. Definitely not in the Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon camp.

I hesitated a bit then decided to take the first sip only to immediately pucker up... tart, tart, tart.
Of all the fruits in the world, one suddenly seemed to be the only one that existed on my palate - everything yelled RED CURRANT to me, drowning out most other notes of red fruit that may also have been hidden layered there.

Luckily I was preparing a homemade pomodore sauce to go with some gnocci and just was getting some Gran Padano, actually Parmigiano Reggiano ready to go with it.

I found that the red currant finish did not last too long but the lingering memory of tartness kept me wanting to just take that other sip.

So, I kept sipping, found it utterly refreshing and without any guilt enjoyed it with my food.

The verdict - while you can sip it on its own if you enjoy a tart, red currant fest, it went better with that pasta dish that I was just about to enjoy.

It definitely is a very young wine, and seemed well crafted - not a cheap, generic experience.

On day two, it did not change that much from day one. The overall impression prevailed.

Now, personally, it is not my favorite style (I currently enjoy more meaty, smoky Syrahs, and Cabernet Sauvignons with character - and things that are just a more 'heavy' wine) and thus I probably will leave experimenting with the grape (including the more well known branded ones from the Barolo region) up to chance rather than making a targeted effort, but for those who like an experience like described above, absolutely go for it.

My search results show quite some hits from Germany for this wine... seems they are selling most of their production there. Price-wise various vintages of this wine are significantly cheaper in Europe, import cost obviously plays quite a role here.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

For those unfamiliar with neb, this is SO young. It needs at least another 3 years before it will start to emerge.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
kylemittskus wrote:For those unfamiliar with neb, this is SO young. It needs at least another 3 years before it will start to emerge.

So for this offering, ratting is infanticide?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
noslensj wrote:So for this offering, ratting is infanticide?

Absolutely. And the reviews need to be considered with the infancy of the wine in mind.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

I had a taste of this at the NorCal #20 gathering which is currently underway.

It has a gorgeous nose of crasins, habiscus flower and a touch of sage. Tart on the entry with flavors of cranberry and raspberry. Finish is lingering of raspberry; tannins are moderate and slightly bitter.

I should try this again with some food. To be continued...

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
ajrod27 wrote:I had a taste of this at the NorCal #20 gathering which is currently underway.

It has a gorgeous nose of crasins, habiscus flower and a touch of sage. Tart on the entry with flavors of cranberry and raspberry. Finish is lingering of raspberry; tannins are moderate and slightly bitter.

I should try this again with some food. To be continued...

Happy PS drinking guys! Wish we were there! Please feel free to have the wootmobile drop off extras on its way down south

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:Absolutely. And the reviews need to be considered with the infancy of the wine in mind.

Still, it was very nice. Tempted to get a set, but can wait 3 years?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:Absolutely. And the reviews need to be considered with the infancy of the wine in mind.

It is incredibly difficult to do notes at a PS event, but this is improving over last night, hopefully more comments coming. I can wait, in for a set. Kyle, Klez, want one?

CT