WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Betting on Indian Summer

Maybe the weather won't be amenable to these whites until next spring. Or maybe, just maybe, you'll reach for a refreshing splash of white on an unseasonably warm October afternoon and discover you're stocked with nothing but rich, heavy reds. Do you dare take that chance?

Cesare

quality posts: 1672 Private Messages Cesare

Betting on Indian Summer

The Vegan Vine Sauvignon Blanc (5)
$49.99 $̶8̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 41% off List Price
2010 The Vegan Vine Sauvignon Blanc, Central Coast

Chateau d'Abalone Viognier (2)
$48.99 $̶8̶8̶.̶0̶0̶ 44% off List Price
2012 Chateau d'Abalone Viognier, Paso Robles

Woot Cellars F-Bomb Riesling Blend (6)
$59.99 $̶1̶,̶0̶1̶7̶.̶0̶0̶ 94% off List Price
2012 Woot Cellars F-Bomb 2012 Riesling Blend

Wellington Mixed Summer Whites (12)
$129.99 $̶2̶3̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 43% off List Price
2010 Chardonnay, Sonoma Valley
2010 Roussanne, Sonoma County
2011 Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma Valley
2012 The Duchess, Sonoma Valley White Wine

Calstar Sangiacomo Sonoma Chardonnay (3)
$59.99 $̶1̶1̶8̶.̶0̶0̶ 49% off List Price
2009 Chardonnay, Sangiacomo Vineyards

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03

The Wellington Whites I got on the last woot+ deal were easily some of the best I have ever had. Only comparison I have is the Esoterica Sauv Blanc that Kent had on here ages ago. Going to have to talk to SWMBO and see how many cases are too many.

Great stuff!

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

confusedemmy

quality posts: 24 Private Messages confusedemmy

AARGH!
The Chateau d'Abalone is gorgeous.
The Wellington is a great mix.
And Clos LaChance, sustainably.
And a rose' for the main event.

This is a horrible day for my credit card. No wait, this is a horrible day for my bank account next month... and a wonderful day for my credit card company.

calstarcellars

quality posts: 16 Private Messages calstarcellars

Quick tasting notes on Calstar Cellars Sangiacomo CH. First it is made from a vineyard on the North side of Petaluma Gap, so much cooler than Carneros. Second, from the same block that Tandem, now LaFollette sources their fruit.

Al that said it is drinking beautifully now and will age for a year or more. Fresh apples on the nose, silky mid-palate with slight smokiness and great finish. A deal at $35 and a steal @ $20.

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin
calstarcellars wrote:Quick tasting notes on Calstar Cellars Sangiacomo CH. First it is made from a vineyard on the North side of Petaluma Gap, so much cooler than Carneros. Second, from the same block that Tandem, now LaFollette sources their fruit.

Al that said it is drinking beautifully now and will age for a year or more. Fresh apples on the nose, silky mid-palate with slight smokiness and great finish. A deal at $35 and a steal @ $20.

Welcome Calstar, and thanks for the notes.
Hoping you can identify yourself from the winery and your function; sales/marketing, winemaker, or...?

CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

rjquillin wrote:Welcome Calstar, and thanks for the notes.
Hoping you can identify yourself from the winery and your function; sales/marketing, winemaker, or...?

That would be winemaker/proprietor Rick Davis.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

calstarcellars

rjquillin wrote:Welcome Calstar, and thanks for the notes.

Owner, winemaker, chief cook and bottle washer.

pamc007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pamc007

What makes the F Bomb wine such an expensive retail price? I can't find anything online to support it?

calstarcellars

pamc007 wrote:What makes the F Bomb wine such an expensive retail price? I can't find anything online to support it?

I believe that's what we call a joke.

maseille07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maseille07
calstarcellars wrote:I believe that's what we call a joke.

It's not a very good one. People rely on the discount percentage, which is now distorted at 94%.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
maseille07 wrote:It's not a very good one. People rely on the discount percentage, which is now distorted at 94%.

Maybe you shouldn't purchase at woot then. Woot has always relied on a heavy dose of humor and sarcasm in the selling of its products. If you can't realize the $1,017 list price is a joke, you need to lighten up. There is no actual "retail price" for Woot Cellars offerings, because they aren't available anywhere else, period.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

maseille07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maseille07
North316 wrote:Maybe you shouldn't purchase at woot then. Woot has always relied on a heavy dose of humor and sarcasm in the selling of its products. If you can't realize the $1,017 list price is a joke, you need to lighten up. There is no actual "retail price" for Woot Cellars offerings, because they aren't available anywhere else, period.

I never said I didn't realize $1017 is a joke. I'd rather learn the retail price if there is one. In this case there isn't, so that's fine.

ke7cuv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ke7cuv

good wine

ke7cuv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ke7cuv
maseille07 wrote:I never said I didn't realize $1017 is a joke. I'd rather learn the retail price if there is one. In this case there isn't, so that's fine.

I agree with North316. Nothing in the price suggests a joke as it is quite ordinary almost expected that exceptional wine costs about 1000 dollars a case.
And as Woot sales other high quality Items (not all of them), the joke is not that clever or funny.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
ke7cuv wrote:I agree with North316. Nothing in the price suggests a joke as it is quite ordinary almost expected that exceptional wine costs about 1000 dollars a case.
And as Woot sales other high quality Items (not all of them), the joke is not that clever or funny.

Then you disagree with North. North said everyone should calm down. And I agree with North.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Had to get the Woot cellars.. LOVE, LOVE LOVE this!!! plus with it being at such a discount... how could I not re purchase?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:Then you disagree with North. North said everyone should calm down. And I agree with North.

You got fooled Kyle....he was agreeing with me by continuing with sarcasm.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

Shipping to New York Now? What's up?

rjquillin

ke7cuv wrote:I agree with North316. Nothing in the price suggests a joke as it is quite ordinary almost expected that exceptional wine costs about 1000 dollars a case.

sigh...
Is this discussion really happening?

CT

filthy97

quality posts: 1 Private Messages filthy97

F-Bomb 1 and F-Bomb 2 have been my favorite Woot wines. Buying now and will figure out storage later, but that's just a temporary problem.

pienka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pienka

wait...what happened? I checked yesterday and I could get three of these wines in Louisiana. I check today and I can get none of them? I've gotten Wellington before. What's happened? How quickly will it be resolved? I can't go without my wine woots....although I guarantee I am not complaning too much right now because I was JUST about to pull the trigger on like, 17 bottles of wine that I dont' have room for....

pienka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pienka

Freethegrapes still has Louisiana as shipping compliant. I am confused! only 13 states? What's up with that?

kylemittskus

pienka wrote:Freethegrapes still has Louisiana as shipping compliant. I am confused! only 13 states? What's up with that?

Unfortunately, the laws aren't as simple as that. Just because a state allows shipments from a winery, it doesn't mean all wineries can ship to that state (production size is the biggest factor) or that the state has purchased a license to ship to that state (some can be prohibitively expensive).

Also:

Winedavid39 wrote:* very limited state list tonight.

No, it's not a mistake. You'll find that the regulatory environment remains in flux and constantly changing. We are purposely taking the high road by being conservative for now.

* stay tuned *

Sorry for the inconvenience. We are working hard to increase this list in the short term.

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

I reiterate, if I must...
"Shipping to New York Now? What's up?"

vmforrest

quality posts: 9 Private Messages vmforrest
kylemittskus wrote:Then you disagree with North. North said everyone should calm down. And I agree with North.

Hear, hear!

KLETCO

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KLETCO
pienka wrote:wait...what happened? I checked yesterday and I could get three of these wines in Louisiana. I check today and I can get none of them? I've gotten Wellington before. What's happened? How quickly will it be resolved? I can't go without my wine woots....although I guarantee I am not complaning too much right now because I was JUST about to pull the trigger on like, 17 bottles of wine that I dont' have room for....

That just happened to me, too, in Maryland. I bought F-2 earlier this year and I just bought a Woot Cellar wine YESTERDAY. And the sales stats show that someone from Maryland has already purchased this deal I'm bummed, I love both of the F-Bombs.

lamcjunk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lamcjunk
KLETCO wrote:That just happened to me, too, in Maryland. I bought F-2 earlier this year and I just bought a Woot Cellar wine YESTERDAY. And the sales stats show that someone from Maryland has already purchased this deal I'm bummed, I love both of the F-Bombs.

YEAH - CO is still on the list!! Oh Happy Day.

lamcjunk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lamcjunk

I'd recommend both the Wellington mix (although have only tasted 2 of them), and the F-Bomb (no tasting notes, but remember liking it).

Wellington Chard:
nose: bandaid, light clove-pepper
palate: almond, tomato, minerals. Fairly smooth, very slight bite upon swallowing. Tastes 'complex'.
Balance: nicely balanced, but not silky smooth/buttery like your typical Chard
Finish: the 'buttery' chard taste comes thru more on the finish, which is nice and long.

Wellington The Duchess:
nose: pleasant light grassy grapefruit. Tiny bit of hazelnut
palate: citrus-y. Lemon, yet initially smooth on the tongue. Dill flavor, with a very mild floral hint. Has a bite to it when you swallow.
Balance: seems well balanced.
Finish: Mild lemon vanilla pepper extended finish.
I like the complexity of the wine.

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20

Notes on the Wellington
2010 Chardonnay
6/3/2012
Did not try on day 1. These are day 2 notes
Nose and pallate are dominated by green apple, the wine is a very light yellow and is lighter than a typical chard. It has nice acidity but the finish reminds you it is a chard by the nice round mouth feel it leaves you with.

Highly recommended and I typically do not care for this varietal. I really enjoyed the nice light style without all the oak and over extracted fruit. Well done Peter.

My wife is not a fan of peters whites so I don't buy these in bulk but I have always enjoyed them. Not a purchase for me though this time around.

CT

calstarcellars

For those of you who like a layered and complex Chardonnay that's not particularly oaky I honestly think the Calstar Sangiacomo will be of serious interest.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
randysanders wrote:Shipping to New York Now? What's up?

None of these wines lists NY as a ship to state.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus

calstarcellars wrote:For those of you who like a layered and complex Chardonnay that's not particularly oaky I honestly think the Calstar Sangiacomo will be of serious interest.

I wanted these last time they were up but I couldn't buy. And here you are again. And I can't buy. I know the vineyard is awesome. I just can't buy a single bottle right now.

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:I wanted these last time they were up but I couldn't buy. And here you are again. And I can't buy. I know the vineyard is awesome. I just can't buy a single bottle right now.

You had these Kyle, or would they be a flyer for you? Which leads to the question, why is this appealing?
We both like the Prado.

CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

rjquillin wrote:You had these Kyle, or would they be a flyer for you? Which leads to the question, why is this appealing?
We both like the Prado.

My 1 cent: it's good juice. well crafted. I had my last bottle 2-3 weeks ago. Just good chard.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

creekhounds

quality posts: 2 Private Messages creekhounds

I sadly note that the opportunity to buy another case of those lovely Wellington whites -- not to mention the chance to try the Calstars -- is lost to Georgia and many other states in a mysterious legal black hole. Is there any light at the end of this tunnel?

I think Winter is coming.

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:You had these Kyle, or would they be a flyer for you? Which leads to the question, why is this appealing?
We both like the Prado.

I haven't had it. However, I like the fruit source and the only number we have (brix) looks good.

tjhoulihan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjhoulihan
kylemittskus wrote:

Over the past several years I've had multiple cases of Wellington shipped to GA. Never a problem until this order... what has changed?

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

tjhoulihan wrote:Over the past several years I've had multiple cases of Wellington shipped to GA. Never a problem until this order... what has changed?

a slight regulatory speedbump. i'll post WineDavid's quote from a few nights ago, since he's more knowledgeable on these matters:

Winedavid39 wrote:

You'll find that the regulatory environment remains in flux and constantly changing. We are purposely taking the high road by being conservative for now.

* stay tuned *

Sorry for the inconvenience. We are working hard to increase this list in the short term.

again, apologies. :/

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.