neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

My Woot family: Thank you for indulging this personal request- In October I'm riding my bike (bicycle that is) from SF to LA over 7 days on the Pablove Across America ride. The ride, and the money I raise between now and then will benefit the Pablove Foundation.

Pablove was founded in memory of a wonderful little boy named Pablo who died a few days after his sixth birthday from a rare form of pediatric cancer. Pablove's mission is to fund pediatric cancer research and advances in treatment, educate and empower cancer families, and improve the quality of life for children living with cancer through hospital play, music and arts programs.

If you're able, I'd be eternally grateful if you donated on my behalf by Clicking here.

Thanks again- every dollar helps!!

neilfindswine

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

I'm in! wish you would have put this up last month before I bought a house full of wine..if you make the ride in 6 days you can have a day to drink down here

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tytiger58 wrote:I'm in! wish you would have put this up last month before I bought a house full of wine..if you make the ride in 6 days you can have a day to drink down here

Thank you sir...! If I get distracted along the way (the route takes me through Paso Robles), it could take me 8 or 9 days!!

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
neilfindswine wrote:Thank you sir...! If I get distracted along the way (the route takes me through Paso Robles), it could take me 8 or 9 days!!

Make the 8th day raiding my and tytiger's cellars!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

klezman wrote:Make the 8th day raiding my and tytiger's cellars!

Staying on my feet after a raid of your cellars could be more challenging than the ride itself!

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
neilfindswine wrote:Staying on my feet after a raid of your cellars could be more challenging than the ride itself!

Keep coming south, plenty more down here!

CT

tytiger58

klezman wrote:Make the 8th day raiding my and tytiger's cellars!

Agreed!

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tytiger58 wrote:Agreed!

how many bottles could I smuggle away? I have two water bottle cages and a couple of pockets in my jersey... hmmm...

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
neilfindswine wrote:how many bottles could I smuggle away? I have two water bottle cages and a couple of pockets in my jersey... hmmm...

And your bladder...

CT

tytiger58

neilfindswine wrote:how many bottles could I smuggle away? I have two water bottle cages and a couple of pockets in my jersey... hmmm...

Well you should be stronger by the time you get here sooo maybe you could stuff a mag or two into your jersey, I never seem to drink the damn things anyway

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

tytiger58 wrote:Well you should be stronger by the time you get here sooo maybe you could stuff a mag or two into your jersey, I never seem to drink the damn things anyway

I'll be skinnier too, so I should have room in my baggy clothes.

In all seriousness, it's going to be a good challenge and it's for an amazing cause. Some of the other riders are parents of children who are currently battling pediatric cancer, and a couple have children or close relative children who lost their battles to cancer, so it will no doubt be an emotional journey as well.

Cancer sucks.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

....Heading for a training ride tomorrow morning- 50 miles: Sonoma-Carneros-past Mahoney and Artesa, past Hess on Mt. Veeder rd, and finally over Trinity rd back into the Sonoma Valley... Perhaps I should do some tasting along the way....

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
neilfindswine wrote:...

Cancer sucks.

No I like turtles!.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

neilfindswine wrote:....Heading for a training ride tomorrow morning- 50 miles: Sonoma-Carneros-past Mahoney and Artesa, past Hess on Mt. Veeder rd, and finally over Trinity rd back into the Sonoma Valley... Perhaps I should do some tasting along the way....

Sounds like an excellent idea! Just swish and spit and you'll be good to go.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen
neilfindswine wrote:....Heading for a training ride tomorrow morning- 50 miles: Sonoma-Carneros-past Mahoney and Artesa, past Hess on Mt. Veeder rd, and finally over Trinity rd back into the Sonoma Valley... Perhaps I should do some tasting along the way....

Or you could just roll with a Camelbak full of Iron Horse Unoaked Chard.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

chipgreen wrote:Or you could just roll with a Camelbak full of Iron Horse Unoaked Chard.

Hmmm. That could work. Riding again in the AM, maybe I'll try it ;)

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

How did it go? Seems like that could be pretty hilly terrain. The key is to train and get the legs, and bum, ready for time in the saddle. And look around a little as you ride, the scenery makes it enjoyable.

Looked closer at the ride. How many days? How many miles per day?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

polarbear22 wrote:How did it go? Seems like that could be pretty hilly terrain. The key is to train and get the legs, and bum, ready for time in the saddle. And look around a little as you ride, the scenery makes it enjoyable.

Looked closer at the ride. How many days? How many miles per day?

Went well- today went better. Yup, legs are getting there-have been doing some 75 and even a 100 mile ride. I've recently been introduced to chamois butter.

The SF-LA ride is 500+ miles over 7 days. Day 3 and 6 are worrisome- 90ish miles and 6000ish feet of climbing those two days!

polarbear22

neilfindswine wrote:Went well- today went better. Yup, legs are getting there-have been doing some 75 and even a 100 mile ride. I've recently been introduced to chamois butter.

The SF-LA ride is 500+ miles over 7 days. Day 3 and 6 are worrisome- 90ish miles and 6000ish feet of climbing those two days!

Brave man. That is a lot of riding. Any one of those days would take me a week or more to recover, not just overnight. Check out Assos chamois cream. It has become my favorite brand.

Nice looking bike in your photo. What are you riding?

And now that I have made my donation, I will say "Come on folks, join in and support a great cause."

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

polarbear22 wrote:Brave man. That is a lot of riding. Any one of those days would take me a week or more to recover, not just overnight. Check out Assos chamois cream. It has become my favorite brand.

Nice looking bike in your photo. What are you riding?

And now that I have made my donation, I will say "Come on folks, join in and support a great cause."

Thank you sir!

The bike in that photo is a 09 Trek Madone 4.5, but unfortunately I had a crash (long story involving a deer) and the frame is damaged. So now I'm riding an 08 Madone 5.1. It's a sweet ride. Do you ride a lot? What do you ride?

polarbear22

neilfindswine wrote:Thank you sir!

The bike in that photo is a 09 Trek Madone 4.5, but unfortunately I had a crash (long story involving a deer) and the frame is damaged. So now I'm riding an 08 Madone 5.1. It's a sweet ride. Do you ride a lot? What do you ride?

Mostly weekend rides this year. So a light year. We are doing 50 milers on the weekend. I got a new bike last year - Cannondale Synapse 3. Carbon fiber with Ultegra components. And I ride an older Cannondale CAAD 5, aluminum, in the spring while the roads are still bad.

Need to ride more next year.

My Cellar

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
neilfindswine wrote:

I hope you're going around the grapevine? That would be a brutal ride in itself!!

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

bsevern wrote:I hope you're going around the grapevine? That would be a brutal ride in itself!!

True that.. no, we're actually taking the coastal route, but there are plenty o' hills along the way. It will be tough, but honestly, compared to what kids (and their families) affected by cancer go through, it'll be a walk in the park...

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
neilfindswine wrote:True that.. no, we're actually taking the coastal route, but there are plenty o' hills along the way. It will be tough, but honestly, compared to what kids (and their families) affected by cancer go through, it'll be a walk in the park...

Roger that. Although I still have incredibly vivid memories of the courage that Trevor could display at age 4. I can tell you some stories next time we get a chance to lift a glass together.
Meanwhile, thanks for the opportunity to contribute to a great cause.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Took a training ride through Santa Ynez wine country this weekend as I was tagging along with SWMBO for a Santa Barbara wedding.

Took a little Sideways tour, starting in Solvang- to Kalyra winery, up through Los Olivos and past the Los Olivos cafe, then up Foxen Canyon Road, past Fess Parker to Foxen, and then back. Stopped on the way back and said hello to our good friend Larry from Tercero (but refrained from tasting as I wanted to make sure I could pedal the rest of the way back to my car...).

A beautiful day to bike in wine country.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

One more week of training and then its game time! Group ride tomorrow, big climb on Sunday.. bike tune up on Monday... I'm still trying to reach my fundraising goal, if you're interested in donating, please do so by clicking here. Thank you!

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

In my final few days of training, packing, stretching and trying to drink a little less wine.. (trying), I wanted to thank the Woot community for allowing me to spread the word about my ride, Pablove, and their fight against childhood cancer.

And thank you to those who have donated. It means a lot to me, and to the community of Pediatric cancer families.

And anyone interested in donating, there's still a few days left: you can do so by clicking here. Thank you kindly. And wish me luck!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Hi Neil,
You should have crossed the finish line by now, if you're on schedule, or you will be there shortly. Congratulations on exceeding your very ambitious goal, and thanks again for doing this, and for providing the opportunity to contribute.
Don

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

ddeuddeg wrote:Hi Neil,
You should have crossed the finish line by now, if you're on schedule, or you will be there shortly. Congratulations on exceeding your very ambitious goal, and thanks again for doing this, and for providing the opportunity to contribute.
Don

Hi Don: Yes sir; finish line crossed at the Children's Hospital in Los Angeles yesterday about 2pm where a check was given for a research grant on the spot. It was an incredible end to an incredible week.

Thanks to the Woot community for your support and helping me fight childhood cancer.

tytiger58

Great work Neil, you could have stayed around to drink some wine with us tho...

polarbear22

Great job. A lot of riding. Hope the legs, and the seat, are doing OK. Thanks for making the effort for Pablove.

My Cellar

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen

WTG Neil! Congrats and Thanks for caring about the kids!

otolith

Outstanding work, Neil!

--John Muir

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk

somehow totally missed this thread. Neil, hope that you are able to bask in the glow of helping others.

Better late than never!

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

joelsisk wrote:somehow totally missed this thread. Neil, hope that you are able to bask in the glow of helping others.

Better late than never!

Thanks Joel! I'm definitely basking in the glow, and I'm told it's not too late... all donations welcome thru the end of October- $5, $10.. it all goes to fighting pediatric cancer!

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis