Bell Wine Cellars Willamette Valley Pinot Gris 6-Pack
$89.99 $̶1̶4̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 40% off List Price
2012 Pinot Gris, Willamette Valley, Oregon
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg

We had an opportunity to enjoy this wine last night with dinner.
First of all, I made it a point to avoid reading the notes on the label before tasting it for myself. Knowing it would probably be colder than it should be right out of the fridge, I poured some and let it sit in the glass for 10 minutes before tasting.
Nose - lots of fresh citrus, grapefruit especially, something else I can't quite identify, but once I read the notes on the bottle, I realized it was pear. Would have gotten it sooner, but pears are just coming to market here in WNY, and I haven't had any since last fall. On the palate, more citrus and some kind of tropical fruit, lychee maybe.
Nice crisp balanced wine, plenty of acid to go with the rich fruit flavors.
A perfect accompaniment for our meal of baked grouper with potatoes and onions + Swiss chard sautéed with garlic. I think it would also be enjoyable by itself on the front porch on a warm summer evening. At this price point, a better than decent buy, in my opinion.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

Saturday evening we had the 2012 Bell Pinot Gris from Willamette Valley Oregon. This was a lovely wine from the start with a beautiful nose of floral and apricot. As the wine warmed up, the flavors of apricot and grapefruit with a bit of crispness took over. ddeuddeg prepared a nice meal of baked grouper over sliced potatoes and onions that had been sautéed in olive oil and baked with the fish. I prepared some Rainbow Swiss Chard sautéed with some EEVOO and garlic with a finishing touch of Basil Oil and Raspberry Vinegar. This wine softened with the fish and potatoes but still held its own. This is a wine that I would be happy to have in our cellar and to serve to company. It would also be pleasant to have out on the porch on a warm summer night or on a nice fall night—depending on when your fall starts!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

Cesare

quality posts: 1566 Private Messages Cesare

Hey I Just had this. Pretty good stuff.
Was planning to make some grilled shrimp and thought this would go well together. It was perfect.
Nice fruity peachy citrus nose. On the palate it seemed more tropical than citrus but lots of acidity. Really great with food. Pretty heavy body for a white and an interesting mouthfeel yet still very crisp due to the acidity. It is also very fruity which gives the perception of sweetness without being sweet. Good finish. Low alcohol.
I could see drinking this by itself in the summer because it is refreshing and interesting enough but also pairs well with food.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ddeuddeg

I posted my notes above before reading the complete description of today's offer. As I read it, right alongside was an ad for a Spanish Albariño, a wonderfully austere wine which would typically be served on the West coast of Spain with the meal we had tonight. As much as I enjoyed that pairing when we visited Spain last summer, I liked the fruitiness of the Pinot Gris offered here even more.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

rvz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rvz

Bell is one of my favorite wineries. I met the owner at a tasting in Dallas a few weeks ago and was able to try many of his wines that I haven't had a chance to taste yet. I'm not a white wine drinker but I would not hesitate to buy this knowing where it came from.

anthonyabell

quality posts: 15 Private Messages anthonyabell
ddeuddeg wrote:We had an opportunity to enjoy this wine last night with dinner.
First of all, I made it a point to avoid reading the notes on the label before tasting it for myself. Knowing it would probably be colder than it should be right out of the fridge, I poured some and let it sit in the glass for 10 minutes before tasting.
Nose - lots of fresh citrus, grapefruit especially, something else I can't quite identify, but once I read the notes on the bottle, I realized it was pear. Would have gotten it sooner, but pears are just coming to market here in WNY, and I haven't had any since last fall. On the palate, more citrus and some kind of tropical fruit, lychee maybe.
Nice crisp balanced wine, plenty of acid to go with the rich fruit flavors.
A perfect accompaniment for our meal of baked grouper with potatoes and onions + Swiss chard sautéed with garlic. I think it would also be enjoyable by itself on the front porch on a warm summer evening. At this price point, a better than decent buy, in my opinion.

Thank you. Sandra and I really enjoy the fruit in this wine - both with food and just on the aftdeck watching the sun go do. We have really tried with this wine to retain the wonderful acidity one gets in OR but tame some of the back end acidity so that it just drinks well. Enjoy!

anthonyabell

rvz wrote:Bell is one of my favorite wineries. I met the owner at a tasting in Dallas a few weeks ago and was able to try many of his wines that I haven't had a chance to taste yet. I'm not a white wine drinker but I would not hesitate to buy this knowing where it came from.

Thank you for coming to my tasting in Dallas. As ou know we are a red wine producer, first and foremost, but I think we have done a pretty good job with our Pinot gris. Some may laugh, but I like to say that white wines are for drinking and red wines are for thinking - and this PG drinks pretty good!

anthonyabell

jmdavidson wrote:Have you had this wine so you can opine that it is overpriced? Will you be posting any tasting notes?

Pricing is pretty subjective; and to follow up on the prior comment, I hope you have a chance to taste the wine and determine for yourself whether it is a value - particularly at the WOOT pricing being offered.

I would like to think that the OR producers take pride in the fact that folks from other parts of the world are seeking out their grapes - and wines. My best friend at UC Davis was David Lake, who went up to OR in the early 80's, working with David Lett and subsequently made a name for himself in the WA wine industry. Many times he and I discussed the terrific promise vineyards in OR offered. David passed on very sadly a few years ago and I wish he were here to enjoy a glass of OR Pinot gris with Sandra and I.

anthonyabell

ddeuddeg wrote:I posted my notes above before reading the complete description of today's offer. As I read it, right alongside was an ad for a Spanish Albariño, a wonderfully austere wine which would typically be served on the West coast of Spain with the meal we had tonight. As much as I enjoyed that pairing when we visited Spain last summer, I liked the fruitiness of the Pinot Gris offered here even more.

I love the quote beneath your comment section. Sandra and I affectionately refer to champagne "winemakers lemonade" and are known to enjoy several glasses - at any occasion!.

The fruitiness in the Pinot gris you refer to is definitely what we are trying to capture and focus on. Enjoy!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson

I had a bottle of this on Friday night, which I shared with my usual wine drinking/card playing friends. It was chilled to frig temp and then set out for fifteen minutes.
Color: very light yellow or gold
Smell: citrus
PNP first tasting: citrus (like lemon or lime), then an array of other possible fruits, such as melon, peach or pear. There is a nice acidity to it, which finishes crisp.
We drank this with the appetizers, which included caprese bruschetta, artichoke dip and tossed salad. It was perfect with everything. Between courses, we finished it and commented that it went well with food or just by itself.
SWMBO and I typically drink reds, so this is somewhat unchartered territory for us. I can't remember the last time we had a pinot gris. It was very apparent that this is a very well crafted wine. After seeing the price, I think it is drinking well above the price offered here. There is still plenty of summer to go, so I would not hesitate picking this up. Even after the weather has changed, I would pair this with any appetizer or seafood. Everyone considered this a delicious white wine.

anthonyabell

jmdavidson wrote:I had a bottle of this on Friday night, which I shared with my usual wine drinking/card playing friends. It was chilled to frig temp and then set out for fifteen minutes.
Color: very light yellow or gold
Smell: citrus
PNP first tasting: citrus (like lemon or lime), then an array of other possible fruits, such as melon, peach or pear. There is a nice acidity to it, which finishes crisp.
We drank this with the appetizers, which included caprese bruschetta, artichoke dip and tossed salad. It was perfect with everything. Between courses, we finished it and commented that it went well with food or just by itself.
SWMBO and I typically drink reds, so this is somewhat unchartered territory for us. I can't remember the last time we had a pinot gris. It was very apparent that this is a very well crafted wine. After seeing the price, I think it is drinking well above the price offered here. There is still plenty of summer to go, so I would not hesitate picking this up. Even after the weather has changed, I would pair this with any appetizer or seafood. Everyone considered this a delicious white wine.

I am pleased you enjoyed it. Sounds like you were having a wonderful evening of wine, food and companionship - what it is all about.

ddeuddeg

anthonyabell wrote:I love the quote beneath your comment section. Sandra and I affectionately refer to champagne "winemakers lemonade" and are known to enjoy several glasses - at any occasion!.

The fruitiness in the Pinot gris you refer to is definitely what we are trying to capture and focus on. Enjoy!

The fruitiness is there for sure. As Cesare commented in his notes, "the fruitiness gives the perception of sweetness without being sweet." I think that's what made it such a great pairing with last night's dinner.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson
ddeuddeg wrote:The fruitiness is there for sure. As Cesare commented in his notes, "the fruitiness gives the perception of sweetness without being sweet." I think that's what made it such a great pairing with last night's dinner.

+1

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Welcome Anthony! I've said it before... I have yet to meet a Bell Wine that I don't like...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

intodogs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages intodogs

Just placed my order. Great tasting notes fellow wooters. Thanks for your input. The stainless is what made this work for me. Oh, but I miss the days of old when we didn't have to pay the damn tax!!!!