skispeakeasy

quality posts: 39 Private Messages skispeakeasy

This was my first wine.woot purchase! My grapes are finally free!

renwoodwinery

quality posts: 17 Private Messages renwoodwinery
chipgreen wrote:I think the perception of sweetness is probably greater than the actual level of sweetness, due to the fruit-forward nature of the wine. It's not Muscat sweet, but it's definitely not dry so somewhere in the middle.

I agree. I think that this varietal has so much fruit that it can lend the perception of sweetness. This wine does have a little residual sugar but it is well below normal threshold. It simply adds some richness to the wine.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
renwoodwinery wrote:I agree. I think that this varietal has so much fruit that it can lend the perception of sweetness. This wine does have a little residual sugar but it is well below normal threshold. It simply adds some richness to the wine.

But what's the number?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

renwoodwinery

Yes there is a slight amount of RS (0.3%) but mainly to enhance the richness of the wine and increase the mouth feel more so than sweeten the wine.

chipgreen wrote:Hi Jon, thanks for stopping by. Definitely interested to know if there is any RS and any details you can provide about the fermentation of this wine.

renwoodwinery

This wine was fermented in stainless steel and is not influenced by oak. it is a pure expression of the fruit and the vineyard it comes from.

chipgreen wrote:Hi Jon, thanks for stopping by. Definitely interested to know if there is any RS and any details you can provide about the fermentation of this wine.

gtcharlie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gtcharlie

I purchased both the Renwood Zinfandel and Syrah and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the wine especially given the price point. Can't imagine I will feel any different about the Viognier given the tasting notes provided by fellow wooters. In for one and probably will regret not making it two.

diamondback99

quality posts: 1 Private Messages diamondback99

Been a little while since I've wine wooted but I"m in for one as this looked like a great deal.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 211 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

gtcharlie wrote:I purchased both the Renwood Zinfandel and Syrah and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the wine especially given the price point. Can't imagine I will feel any different about the Viognier given the tasting notes provided by fellow wooters. In for one and probably will regret not making it two.

I had the Syrah the other night and was reminded of what a good set of offers we've had from Renwood. These are finds for the price.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
renwoodwinery wrote:I agree. I think that this varietal has so much fruit that it can lend the perception of sweetness. This wine does have a little residual sugar but it is well below normal threshold. It simply adds some richness to the wine.

Most of us here are able to speak relatively well about wine, including technical details and nomenclature. We like numbers, big words, and nerdy process descriptions. What about MLF?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

renwoodwinery

After fermentation, a small portion of the wine (20%) was barrel aged and that portion underwent MLF.

kylemittskus wrote:Most of us here are able to speak relatively well about wine, including technical details and nomenclature. We like numbers, big words, and nerdy process descriptions. What about MLF?

confusedemmy

quality posts: 24 Private Messages confusedemmy
renwoodwinery wrote:After fermentation, a small portion of the wine (20%) was barrel aged and that portion underwent MLF.

Now, I'm confused. Specs and winery sheet say stainless steel. Now you're saying 20% underwent barrel? Seems like a bit of a contradiction.

Thanks for the info on the RS, though. That seems about right for what I tasted (thank you, PTB).

You're addressing a discussion that contains quite a few folks that have some serious wine background (I for one was retail for 3 years and wholesale for another 3), so the more info you can provide, the better you are serving this audience.

renwoodwinery

I am sorry. It was my mistake. I was thinking of another vintage. Yes it was all stainless steel. I am looking in our fermentation log. We picked the fruit on August 30th. (Wow that is exactly 6 years today). We whole cluster pressed the fruit to tank and add settling agents to assist in the clarification of the juice. We racked the wine into another tank and added yeast nutrients and we fermented with "Prix de Mousse" yeast. The fermentation occurred at cooler temperatures and lasted 4 weeks. We added more settling agents to clarify agents to settle the yeast. The wine did NOT undergo MLF. We adjusted the SO2 level to keep it stable and in a topped tank until after harvest. We then blended the wine with some Semillon and cold stabilized the wine in tank. The wine was then simply filtered and bottled after that.

confusedemmy wrote:Now, I'm confused. Specs and winery sheet say stainless steel. Now you're saying 20% underwent barrel? Seems like a bit of a contradiction.

Thanks for the info on the RS, though. That seems about right for what I tasted (thank you, PTB).

You're addressing a discussion that contains quite a few folks that have some serious wine background (I for one was retail for 3 years and wholesale for another 3), so the more info you can provide, the better you are serving this audience.

renwoodwinery

The RS came from the Semillon as it had a higher RS.

renwoodwinery wrote:I am sorry. It was my mistake. I was thinking of another vintage. Yes it was all stainless steel. I am looking in our fermentation log. We picked the fruit on August 30th. (Wow that is exactly 6 years today). We whole cluster pressed the fruit to tank and add settling agents to assist in the clarification of the juice. We racked the wine into another tank and added yeast nutrients and we fermented with "Prix de Mousse" yeast. The fermentation occurred at cooler temperatures and lasted 4 weeks. We added more settling agents to clarify agents to settle the yeast. The wine did NOT undergo MLF. We adjust the SO2 level to keep it stable and in a topped tank until after harvest. We then blended the wine with some Semillon and cold stabilized the wine in tank. The wine was then simply filtered and bottled after that.

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
losthighwayz wrote:I will. Please confirm you have not purchased yet. Ron, please confirm as well.

I have not.

CT

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fredrinaldi
rjquillin wrote:Three way?

Ménage à trois ???

In for 1

sdwindansea

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdwindansea

Figured I would make my decision on whether to buy or not once I got home from work. After reading the comments I was sold. After getting home and feeling 90 degrees with high humidity you couldn't stop me. I live in coastal San Diego, this weather is why I left the East coast!

Thanks everyone for the great information (as usual).

galleria2k

quality posts: 1 Private Messages galleria2k

Since this is a 2007 vintage, how much shelf life would you anticipate it having? Will it last a year? Two?
I don't know how fast I can drink a case of wine, since I am the only white wine drinker in the house.

EDIT
Whoa. Decided to buy the case anyway, but for some reason, Kansas is not on the list. Why is that? I have had wine direct shipped many times before. According to FreeTheGraps.org we are still on the "ok to ship" list. Sad now, I won't get any wine this week.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

I have enjoyed Renwood Zin on many occasion- delicious wine. I would buy this in a heartbeat but we all know Va's problem with Woot. So sad. I am forced to buy my wine at the local grocery which is so limited and does ot include Renwood. Enjoy this , those who can! Do not pass up such a wonderful price!

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:I have not.
losthighwayz wrote:I will. Please confirm you have not purchased yet. Ron, please confirm as well.

Nor I.

CT

grampella

quality posts: 4 Private Messages grampella

I'd really love to buy a couple of cases, but I've got to be away for a family funeral 9/4-9/9, so I can't be home then to receive them. O well~!

losthighwayz

quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz
rjquillin wrote:Nor I.

Sorry guys my cc is getting denied...not sure why...no way Ive ordered thousands if dollars in wine...I hope! Ill try one more time.

"The older I get the better I was"

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
losthighwayz wrote:Sorry guys my cc is getting denied...not sure why...no way Ive ordered thousands if dollars in wine...I hope! Ill try one more time.

Ok, I'll do the deed, but lost better pay his bill and get it sorted out soon!

done.

CT

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

Do I have to move to Amador County or something?

dalematthew

quality posts: 24 Private Messages dalematthew

A day late and a dollar short - as I was out of town when a bottle arrived - but in case this pops again.

Pretty much agree with the above reviewers. Was debate about fruit vs RS in our household - felt it was sweet fruit that was a bit too much for my liking - but if that's your thing would recommend.

Pale straw color, apricots / stone fruit on the nose, more tropical fruit (pineappleish) on the palate.

Did anyone notice that there was some type of particles in the wine when held up to the light?

thenagman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thenagman

Has anyone seen shipping info from the winery about this? I'm still waiting for any info on my "expedited" shipping".

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

thenagman wrote:Has anyone seen shipping info from the winery about this? I'm still waiting for any info on my "expedited" shipping".

Expedited shipping means that it's faster shipping once your item ships. We still only ship on Mon-Wed to keep wines moving during the week. The link above explains more.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

thenagman

ThunderThighs wrote:Expedited shipping means that it's faster shipping once your item ships. We still only ship on Mon-Wed to keep wines moving during the week. The link above explains more.

Right. No arguments what expedited 2 days shipping means, but we're well into the window when we should be getting some kind of information about shipping. I'm not expecting it to be here necessarily (what with the holiday), but I expected I'd have details by today?. So I was checking to see if anyone has any.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

thenagman wrote:Right. No arguments what expedited 2 days shipping means, but we're well into the window when we should be getting some kind of information about shipping. I'm not expecting it to be here necessarily (what with the holiday), but I expected I'd have details by today?. So I was checking to see if anyone has any.

Ok. Just remember that wine takes 2-3 weeks to ship so be patient.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

thenagman

And I just got them.

jaimelobo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaimelobo

The "Expedited 2-Day Shipping" didn't quite work for me either. Shipped on Monday and arrived on Thursday, so a little quicker than other shipments, but not quite 2 Day.

Just to add my notes on this, now that it has arrive and for other's future reference.

Maybe my palate is more use to old world wine (which, admittedly, is what we mostly drink), because I had a different impression than many of the folks commenting.

I know you take a chance on Viogniers, as to whether they may or may not be sweet (especially ones from CA). I know too that everyone has a different perception of sweetness, but I can't believe anyone would not consider this a sweet wine. I found too much so for my taste.

Maybe I'll try it with a nice spicy Thai/Indian meal and see how it stacks up; or save to throw out a parties.