Renwood Viognier Case
$64.99 $̶1̶4̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 56% off List Price
2007 Renwood "Red Label" Viognier
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen

A charitable man decided to bestow a bottle of the 2007 Renwood Red Label Viognier upon me for sampling purposes.

The short version: I liked it so much I bought a case! (but am willing to share)

The long version: Very light color in the glass, slow-forming medium-spaced legs. Nose of peaches, cream and honeysuckle with tropical fruit and wet stone notes.

Medium bodied. Off-dry palate bursting with fruit - apricot, pineapple, grapefruit and orange zest. Just the right amount of acidity and a touch of spice on the finish to cut the perceived sweetness.

If you're looking for a dry and/or "serious" Viognier, this isn't it. If you want something that is extremely quaffable, look no further. This wine goes down way too easily....

Not showing any negative signs of age that I can tell but it probably had a bit more of an acidic bite a couple years ago. Still plenty of life left though, and this is a crazy good price!

(First sucker: chipgreen)

EDIT: If the winery stops in, I'd be interested to know if there is any appreciable amount of RS in this wine?

chipgreen

Just contemplating this wine at $6.39/bottle with tax/shipping to OH.... I have no business buying another case of wine when my cellar is already overflowing but at the same time I regret buying only one! This has got to be the QPR deal of the year to date, reminiscent of previous 2007 Kaleidoscope or 2007 Hahn Estates Cab Franc offers.

Alison Gail Bixby

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Alison Gail Bixby
chipgreen wrote:Just contemplating this wine at $6.39/bottle with tax/shipping to OH.... I have no business buying another case of wine when my cellar is already overflowing but at the same time I regret buying only one! This has got to be the QPR deal of the year to date, reminiscent of previous 2007 Kaleidoscope or 2007 Hahn Estates Cab Franc offers.

You had me at "Kaleidoscope." In for one, and I'll figure out where to store it when it arrives.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

Would go in on this but I can't pull the trigger on a case of wine my wife may or may not enjoy. Even at this price. She's picky!

CT

empapel

quality posts: 6 Private Messages empapel

Woah. At $6.56/bottle to WA, hopefully this will please all my white w(h)iner friends, and leave the reds for me. In for one.

sarcasm, geeks & microsoft humor
http://2tothe5th.com

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
cortot20 wrote:Would go in on this but I can't pull the trigger on a case of wine my wife may or may not enjoy. Even at this price. She's picky!

How about a split?

"The older I get the better I was"

adkhiker92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adkhiker92

This deal looks awesome and I'd love a case, but alas, I won't be 21 until the 17th of October. It wouldn't be possible to reserve a case and have it ship on my birthday, would it?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
adkhiker92 wrote:This deal looks awesome and I'd love a case, but alas, I won't be 21 until the 17th of October. It wouldn't be possible to reserve a case and have it ship on my birthday, would it?

No, No it wouldn't. But you should ABSOLUTELY stop back on the 17th (well, the 18th, as the 17th is Non Wine Thursday).

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
adkhiker92 wrote:This deal looks awesome and I'd love a case, but alas, I won't be 21 until the 17th of October. It wouldn't be possible to reserve a case and have it ship on my birthday, would it?

Don't you have a friend or relative who is 21 that could order it for you?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

buckeye566

quality posts: 2 Private Messages buckeye566

We share a birthday! But, unfortunately, I am over 21, way over.

adkhiker92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adkhiker92
North316 wrote:Don't you have a friend or relative who is 21 that could order it for you?

Of course, but the best part of ordering something online is excitedly running to the door to get your package when it shows up. I guess I just really like sending myself presents.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
losthighwayz wrote:How about a split?

Three way?

CT

confusedemmy

quality posts: 21 Private Messages confusedemmy

Oh my. Not really how I envisioned starting my day, but a bottle of this showed up at the front door yesterday....

The last time I was lucky enough to have such foreknowledge, it was 10 days or so before my sample bottle was the wine offered on Woot!. This time, I planned to let it rest, since it's kinda on the middle-aged side of life and have a nice meal with it. Instead I'm having it for BREAKFAST!!!!

zeiker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zeiker

Where does this Viognier land on the sweetness scale? I've had them anywhere from dry to approaching muscat...

Thanks!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

confusedemmy wrote:Oh my. Not really how I envisioned starting my day, but a bottle of this showed up at the front door yesterday....

The last time I was lucky enough to have such foreknowledge, it was 10 days or so before my sample bottle was the wine offered on Woot!. This time, I planned to let it rest, since it's kinda on the middle-aged side of life and have a nice meal with it. Instead I'm having it for BREAKFAST!!!!

The breakfast of champions!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

confusedemmy

OK. Bottle in fridge for about 18 hours. At opening... nice viscosity, but seems lacking in acidity. Showing nectarine and apple flavors, somewhat sweet, possibly due to the ph issue. Nice and surprisingly fresh for its age. Of course, it's too cold.

After 20 minutes, it's showing a biscuity nose, more acid, more viscosity and the fruits have evolved to more apricots and less apple with that nectarine. Viognier does have a tendency to change significantly with the right temperature, as this wine displays.

In spite of my fears at first (cold) sip, the RS (which I'd really like to know what it is...) is at least balanced by the acidity. With the 13.5 ETOH that my bottle says, vs. the winery notes that indicate 12.5% (I'd like clarification on THAT point, as well), I'd say the RS is pretty low.

This is a juicy lip-smacking Viognier. I'm so glad it didn't suffer the oak barrel. I'd like to know when malo was stopped, too... I don't think it was complete.

Nose continues to evolve. Now showing more fruit, less biscuit.

Anyway, I love me some good Viognier in this fresh style. If I hadn't received a sample, I'd probably be in for 1. But now I'm in for 3. There's still a lot of summer left here in coastal TX. Dry roses and fruity, unoaked, juicy viogniers that aren't sweet... my favorites.

Thank you, PTB, for the singleton box with the plain brown liner and nothing but a bottle of wine inside that is just my style.

confusedemmy

ThunderThighs wrote:The breakfast of champions!

And I'm also having it for dinner... lobster is on sale so cheap that I almost feel sorry for the lobstermen in Maine. What a coincidence.

losthighwayz

rjquillin wrote:Three way?

I am in. Cort?

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
losthighwayz wrote:I am in. Cort?

Sure. Who's making the purchase?

CT

83fxwg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg

No NY...surely the apocalypse is upon us?

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

courtner7373

quality posts: 0 Private Messages courtner7373

Looking for "Sweet red wine and wholesale pricing. Got any handy?

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

If any South Bay Area folks want to do a split, I'm in!

I'll be out in the Nevada desert in about 30 mins, so if there's southbay at split interest do the seed, and we can settle up on PS night or whatever works.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
courtner7373 wrote:Looking for "Sweet red wine and wholesale pricing. Got any handy?

You will likely never find anything fitting that description here. We have lots of other great stuff, though.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rckwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rckwoot
83fxwg wrote:No NY...surely the apocalypse is upon us?

I feel your pain. No shipping to states within 3 hours drive of me here in CT.

capitalsfn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages capitalsfn

I'm thinking about buying a case, but definitely would be looking for a Denver-area split on this one.

Though I got a split on the zin last time, and after drinking a bottle, kinda wish I had gotten more!

lwolfe1130

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lwolfe1130

This sounds fabulous - and is right in my price point! I'm so picky when it comes to wine pricing, but under $8/bottle and Viognier being by absolute FAVORITE varietal, I'm in. Heck, it's tempting to get 2.

chipgreen

confusedemmy wrote:OK. Bottle in fridge for about 18 hours. At opening... nice viscosity, but seems lacking in acidity. Showing nectarine and apple flavors, somewhat sweet, possibly due to the ph issue. Nice and surprisingly fresh for its age. Of course, it's too cold.

After 20 minutes, it's showing a biscuity nose, more acid, more viscosity and the fruits have evolved to more apricots and less apple with that nectarine. Viognier does have a tendency to change significantly with the right temperature, as this wine displays.

In spite of my fears at first (cold) sip, the RS (which I'd really like to know what it is...) is at least balanced by the acidity. With the 13.5 ETOH that my bottle says, vs. the winery notes that indicate 12.5% (I'd like clarification on THAT point, as well), I'd say the RS is pretty low.

This is a juicy lip-smacking Viognier. I'm so glad it didn't suffer the oak barrel. I'd like to know when malo was stopped, too... I don't think it was complete.

Nose continues to evolve. Now showing more fruit, less biscuit.

Anyway, I love me some good Viognier in this fresh style. If I hadn't received a sample, I'd probably be in for 1. But now I'm in for 3. There's still a lot of summer left here in coastal TX. Dry roses and fruity, unoaked, juicy viogniers that aren't sweet... my favorites.

Thank you, PTB, for the singleton box with the plain brown liner and nothing but a bottle of wine inside that is just my style.

I like your description of "biscuit" on the nose - that fits better than my "cream" note. To me, it seems "yeasty" but I hate using that word as a descriptor. I attributed it to malolactic treatment and almost said "malolactic nose", so it's interesting that you feel this wine may have had abbreviated malolactic treatment. Maybe the malo seems lighter due to no oak? I would definitely be interested to see winery comments regarding the fermentation.

Seems like once the wine warmed up a bit, your notes were very similar to mine. Were you also struck by how easily it goes down? I had to keep myself from gulping it!

renwoodwinery

quality posts: 17 Private Messages renwoodwinery

Hello Wooters
My name is Jon Affonso and I am the assistant winemaker here at Renwood. I will be checking in from time to time, so if anyone has an questions about this wine, feel free to ask. The Viognier is a classic with its' peach and apricot characteristics, crisp acidity and bright fruit. I hope you all enjoy it.

chipgreen

zeiker wrote:Where does this Viognier land on the sweetness scale? I've had them anywhere from dry to approaching muscat...

Thanks!

I think the perception of sweetness is probably greater than the actual level of sweetness, due to the fruit-forward nature of the wine. It's not Muscat sweet, but it's definitely not dry so somewhere in the middle.

chipgreen

renwoodwinery wrote:Hello Wooters
My name is Jon Affonso and I am the assistant winemaker here at Renwood. I will be checking in from time to time, so if anyone has an questions about this wine, feel free to ask. The Viognier is a classic with its' peach and apricot characteristics, crisp acidity and bright fruit. I hope you all enjoy it.

Hi Jon, thanks for stopping by. Definitely interested to know if there is any RS and any details you can provide about the fermentation of this wine.

losthighwayz

cortot20 wrote:Sure. Who's making the purchase?

I will. Please confirm you have not purchased yet. Ron, please confirm as well.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson

Not sure that I need a case of white, so anyone in Chicago looking to split this?

confusedemmy

renwoodwinery wrote:Hello Wooters

Ditto on the RS, please.

confusedemmy

chipgreen wrote:I think the perception of sweetness is probably greater than the actual level of sweetness, due to the fruit-forward nature of the wine. It's not Muscat sweet, but it's definitely not dry so somewhere in the middle.

Note that the label actually states 13.5% alcohol, so it could be pretty dry. I really didn't get much in the way of RS, but tons of fruit.

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

SIWBM lifted for today... this sounds like a great go to for Sunday football snacks. Go Pack.
Cheers!

Last Wooter to Woot:cynthylee
Last Purchase:a few seconds ago

chado006

quality posts: 7 Private Messages chado006

Alright, you guys talked me into it. Finally pulled the trigger on my second wine Woot!

Last wooter to woot:chado006

First was Truchard temperanillo. Sure wish Truchard would do another offering, amazing winery!

sxk5119

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sxk5119

Why is it that some wine.woots won't ship to NY? Perfectly OK according to FreeTheGrapes, and some of them *do* ship fine.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
sxk5119 wrote:Why is it that some wine.woots won't ship to NY? Perfectly OK according to FreeTheGrapes, and some of them *do* ship fine.

NY is off the list until further notice. Check this week's and last week's pubs for details.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen