Clary Ranch Sonoma Coast Syrah 4-Pack
$59.99 $̶1̶0̶1̶.̶0̶0̶ 41% off List Price
2007 Clary Ranch Syrah, Sonoma Coast
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

This one has piqued my interest. Are there any tasting notes out there?

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

Sounds very much up my alley. This weekend has most definitely tapped me out, though. Maybe if a SoCal person wants to get rid of a bottle, but otherwise I'm just going to stand by the sidelines and regale the crowd with my (not so) pithy comments.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

claryranch

quality posts: 6 Private Messages claryranch
redwinefan wrote:This one has piqued my interest. Are there any tasting notes out there?

Hi there, redwinefan...
Winemaker Paul Clary here.
I'll quote from the Tasting Notes on the Tech sheets:
"Deep crystalline magenta. Light floral aromas with subtle pepper overtones that carry over to the palate along with crisp, refreshing flavors of cool cherries and black raspberries. Delicate, lingering finish... ...Serve slightly cool (55-60 degrees..."

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen

Stats look good, great vintage, relatively low alc. I would also be interested in any tasting notes or even a general discussion of cool climate Syrahs vs. typical CA Syrahs.

With the 2007 vintage of this wine being noted as "lighter and crisper" than other vintages, how does this affect the wine's peak drinking window and cellaring potential?

techcheese

quality posts: 0 Private Messages techcheese

yeeeeap!

could use a little more info///insight///tasting notes here

chipgreen

Last wooter to woot: kclary

Family members are buying? I'm in.

EDIT:
Last wooter to woot: chipgreen
Last purchase: 3 minutes ago

(would still appreciate some guidance re: drinking window/cellaring potential, though)

EDIT x2: Would love to see a Clary Ranch Pinot Noir deal here in the future!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
chipgreen wrote:Last wooter to woot: kclary

I suspect family members could get a free bottle or two of this. More likely someone with the same last name who would like a wine with their name on it

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

chipgreen

redwinefan wrote:I suspect family members could get a free bottle or two of this. More likely someone with the same last name who would like a wine with their name on it

Hehe, yeah I considered that possibility as well. I was itching to find something to combine shipping with the Enos Brack Mountain Red on woot+ anyway, so this fit the bill.

gastrognome

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gastrognome

I am intrigued. Waiting for some more reports from drinkers.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson

Also noted that of the buyers, so far 20% are first time and signed up today.

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
jmdavidson wrote:Also noted that of the buyers, so far 20% are first time and signed up today.

That generally suggests club members getting a better price here on woot than from the winery.

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rjquillin wrote:That generally suggests club members getting a better price here on woot than from the winery.

And have often been alerted to this deal by the winery.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

claryranch

chipgreen wrote:Stats look good, great vintage, relatively low alc. I would also be interested in any tasting notes or even a general discussion of cool climate Syrahs vs. typical CA Syrahs.

With the 2007 vintage of this wine being noted as "lighter and crisper" than other vintages, how does this affect the wine's peak drinking window and cellaring potential?

Hi Chipgreen-
In my experience, cool climate Syrah is a more delicate wine than Syrah from warmer climes. It's almost as if the heavy veil has been lifted so that flavors are revealed and are more pronounced. Warm climate Syrah, for me, always seems to be covered up by a blanket, when a light sheet is called for!
-Paul

claryranch

EDIT:
Last wooter to woot: chipgreen
Last purchase: 3 minutes ago

(would still appreciate some guidance re: drinking window/cellaring potential, though)

EDIT x2: Would love to see a Clary Ranch Pinot Noir deal here in the future!

Hi again chipgreen-

Drinking window? I'd say from now 'til 2016, but really, it could surprise me and go further... The wine is still drinking bright, with good acidity.

Thanks for the plug for my Pinot! ;)

-Paul

claryranch

rjquillin wrote:That generally suggests club members getting a better price here on woot than from the winery.

Hey rjquillin-

Regrettably, Clary Ranch does not have a wine club at this time. That's more a function of my not having time to properly admminister one. Also contributing to it's absence is the lack of a commercial tasting room. If you want to taste my wines, it involves calling for a personal appointment at my home. Clary Ranch is me. I planted the vines in 2000. I grow the grapes. I make the wine.

-Paul

chipgreen

claryranch wrote:Hi Chipgreen-
In my experience, cool climate Syrah is a more delicate wine than Syrah from warmer climes. It's almost as if the heavy veil has been lifted so that flavors are revealed and are more pronounced. Warm climate Syrah, for me, always seems to be covered up by a blanket, when a light sheet is called for!
-Paul

Thank you for your replies and participation. As a former small business owner, I remember what it's like to wear all the hats - it's not just a business, it's your whole life. Glad to know that I am helping to support your efforts. Best wishes for your continued growth and success!

lassow

quality posts: 132 Private Messages lassow

Paul, I couldn't help but notice the brix at harvest were super low. Can you please expand on this?

Thanks!

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

alewis316

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alewis316

I'd like to second the request / props for the pinot. Really good juice.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
lassow wrote:Paul, I couldn't help but notice the brix at harvest were super low. Can you please expand on this?

Thanks!

I'm guessing it has to do with the cool climate site. The brix doesn't get too high because the heat doesn't. You get a much more restrained Syrah from such conditions similar to the N. Rhone.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

claryranch

kylemittskus wrote:I'm guessing it has to do with the cool climate site. The brix doesn't get too high because the heat doesn't. You get a much more restrained Syrah from such conditions similar to the N. Rhone.

You've got it. The Ranch is at the extreme western viticultural edge of the Petaluma Gap. Cool and WINDY are the hallmarks of the site. Syrah struggles to ripen here. We've harvested as late as Thanksgiving, believe it or not. Northern Rhone is an apt comparison, as opposed to Australia or even Lodi.

claryranch

alewis316 wrote:I'd like to second the request / props for the pinot. Really good juice.

Aw shucks... *blush*
Glad you like it!
-Paul

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

LIVE TASTING NOTES FROM THE WCC OFFICES... (it's part of the job)...

My thoughts: Intriguing.. light nose of plums, sweet spice, violets and a hint of meat... light bodied and easy drinking...
Tart dark berries (a tad cherry) flavors with a hint of minerality and black pepper. Decent finish. A lighter style cool-climate Syrah.

Others in the office:

* Cherry tart mid palette to finish, nose displays its age.

* Smokey, clean, raspberry

Okay, back to work....

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
neilfindswine wrote:LIVE TASTING NOTES FROM THE WCC OFFICES... (it's part of the job)...

My thoughts: Intriguing.. light nose of plums, sweet spice, violets and a hint of meat... light bodied and easy drinking...
Tart dark berries (a tad cherry) flavors with a hint of minerality and black pepper. Decent finish. A lighter style cool-climate Syrah.

Others in the office:

* Cherry tart mid palette to finish, nose displays its age.

* Smokey, clean, raspberry

Okay, back to work....

I want your grind!