zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

A new week - and it looks like PS for Sparky today...

By the way if anyone in So Cal is in need of some Vino Noceto, there is a chance I might have bought slightly extra at the Mediterranean Madness sale...

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
zTimothyBz wrote:A new week - and it looks like PS for Sparky today...

By the way if anyone in So Cal is in need of some Vino Noceto, there is a chance I might have bought slightly extra at the Mediterranean Madness sale...

I'm pretty sure I can help you with that problem!

Pm for you

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Slightly extra?????

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of August 25
As the summer winds, down, it's time to...Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

September
Labor Day Weekend: Visiting Vegas for the Weekend!
9/7: NorCal #20: NorCal + SoCal -- PS Night
9/7: Dallas/Fort Worth--September 7th -- Please RSVP by Sept 3 for accurate headcount!
9/8 or TBD: NorCal #21 Halcón Vineyards Tasting or TBD
9/20: Wine & Appetizer - Lamont
9/28: SoCal #28: Sparky & zTimBz OC Wine Locker Redux
TBD: Atlanta #1

October
Late Oct: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Rarely ever do I like Mondays or do I look forward to them. However, after a weekend of call fixin' broken faces, it's pretty nice to hit Monday.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
otolith wrote:Rarely ever do I like Mondays or do I look forward to them. However, after a weekend of call fixin' broken faces, it's pretty nice to hit Monday.

just don't break Monday's face when you hit it ;)

Edit: You know, you should hand out business cards to the local mafia, then they can say "I'm gonna breaka you face" and then they can give them your card when they're done "breaka da faces"

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

So, Monday has hit, and I am in SF at the convention center for a few days. I find that I have about a case of wine that TSA won't let me take on the plane, and I need to ship home. Suggestions?

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
wkdpanda wrote:So, Monday has hit, and I am in SF at the convention center for a few days. I find that I have about a case of wine that TSA won't let me take on the plane, and I need to ship home. Suggestions?

If it's in a good shipping box, check it.

MarkDaSpark

wkdpanda wrote:So, Monday has hit, and I am in SF at the convention center for a few days. I find that I have about a case of wine that TSA won't let me take on the plane, and I need to ship home. Suggestions?

Wait, you only have one case? Inconceivable!

Why wouldn't TSA let you check a case of wine? I've brought one home on the commuter jet from Charles Schultz airport (Sonoma) to LAX.

Or do you have more than one case (which is more understandable). Or do you not have it in a shipping box (with Styrofoam)?

You could always go to K&L Wines (638 4th St · San Francisco
(415) 896-1734) and see if you can buy a box.

Worst case is you buy some more wine there, and let them ship all your wine.

otolith

bhodilee wrote:just don't break Monday's face when you hit it ;)

Edit: You know, you should hand out business cards to the local mafia, then they can say "I'm gonna breaka you face" and then they can give them your card when they're done "breaka da faces"

I've been nice to Monday, today, since it is being nice to me.

I don't particularly care to get more of this type of business than I already get.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:Wait, you only have one case? Inconceivable!

Why wouldn't TSA let you check a case of wine? I've brought one home on the commuter jet from Charles Schultz airport (Sonoma) to LAX.

Or do you have more than one case (which is more understandable). Or do you not have it in a shipping box (with Styrofoam)?

There must be shipping companies in San Francisco that could handle that. K&L could probably steer them in the right direction.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin

losthighwayz; PM re: Noceto

CT

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Soutwest Airlines allows you to check wine I do it everytime (one of my Free checked bags), In fact I save my summer shipping boxes for just that, go to Vegas from LAX every Thanksgiving and check a case every time, who won't let you check it?

edit: didn't see all the other post

chazd

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chazd

I've checked wine as luggage without a problem on Southwest, Frontier, Virgin American, and American Airlines.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
fredrinaldi wrote:Soutwest Airlines allows you to check wine I do it everytime (one of my Free checked bags), In fact I save my summer shipping boxes for just that, go to Vegas from LAX every Thanksgiving and check a case every time, who won't let you check it?

edit: didn't see all the other post

I think the problem is that he asked about carrying it on....not checking it.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mother

chazd wrote:I've checked wine as luggage without a problem on Southwest, Frontier, Virgin American, and American Airlines.

I've done it on Delta and United/Continental as well...

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi
chazd wrote:I've checked wine as luggage without a problem on Southwest, Frontier, Virgin American, and American Airlines.

Edit:
thought I was responding to:
I think the problem is that he asked about carrying it on....not checking it.

that makes sense,,,,, I think

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

Funny...when we were there you seemed certain that there was no extra Depending on what you're considering "extra" I may want to rebalance my selections a bit.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Funny...when we were there you seemed certain that there was no extra Depending on what you're considering "extra" I may want to rebalance my selections a bit.

That was before the German lady saw all the boxes piled in the entryway!

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:I think the problem is that he asked about carrying it on....not checking it.

This.

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen

Caught up on last week's pub...

CONGRATS to Kyle!

D-Dog, you're right I was out of town (Myrtle Beach). Apologies that it took me 1-2 days to respond but glad you were able to hook it up with PB. I had my laptop with me but it was mostly being used by Nancy's son to stay connected to Facebook all week, ugh. Now that you have my address, feel free to use it for wootlegging anytime. No hurry on those Orange Crushers, the next Scott Harvey dinner is fine although I also like North's idea about the Ice Wine festival in January - need to get my passport!

On the topic of smoothies, we made wine smoothies on vacation that were delicious. Used the woot-purchased Ninja Master Prep to combine 1/2 bottle Quady Electra, 2 large scoops Orange Sherbet, 4-6 fresh strawberries, 10-12 fresh blueberries, 2 banana flavored popsicles and 4 ice cubes.

Belated props to our resident teachers. You are such a huge positive influence on our kids, especially with the "hands-off" approach that so many parents seem to take these days. Thank you for your efforts!

Finally, how can you bash Weiner and Spitzer but not mention the over-carbonated Bloomberg? What is it about NY Pols? At least Koch had charisma....

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda
MarkDaSpark wrote:Wait, you only have one case? Inconceivable!

<<< Insert appropriate quote - I don't think that word....

Indeed, it is not in foam packing. K&L sounds like it isn't too far from where I am staying - will have to take a walk over there and see what I can find.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

rjquillin

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Dinner tonight with Jeff and Mary Stai, mommadeb, and bahwm at Alchemy in Murphys, after an afternoon of hiking (strolling) amongst the giant sequoias in Calaveras Big Tree State Park. We are so happy that we decided to spend an extra day here. Food was great, beer and wine excellent, but the company made it all so much better. Alas, heading home tomorrow. We'll be back.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
wkdpanda wrote:Indeed, it is not in foam packing. K&L sounds like it isn't too far from where I am staying - will have to take a walk over there and see what I can find.

Yeah, the airlines will only take it if it is tightly packed in the packing used for shipping by UPS/FedEx/etc. I pretty much always make sure to utilize a foam box, and not just one of the ones with the cardboard inserts just to make sure (don't want them saying the cardboard isn't enough). And even then, depending on who you deal with at the counter, you still often have to spend time trying to convince them you do this ALL the time, and this is an appropriate packing useable for wine.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
rjquillin wrote:New York shipping

You couldn't just repost your whole thing, rather than redirecting people to the old Pub? What if someone then replies to your post there? They'll yet again be bumping the old pub. For shame....

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

otolith

Just got confirmation that my wine is shipping! Would have thought they'd hold during the record heat wave we're having. Hope it doesn't arrive cooked.

--John Muir

rjquillin

HitAnyKey42 wrote:You couldn't just repost your whole thing, rather than redirecting people to the old Pub? What if someone then replies to your post there? They'll yet again be bumping the old pub. For shame....

Geeze, the pub title made me do it. B!^c#, B!^c#, B!^c#...
Has married life already done this to you?

rjquillin wrote:full article
Wine Library vice president Brandon Warnke was unavailable for comment, but the NYSLA's letter is already making waves among the online wine retailer community. Online retailer Wine.Woot has changed its policy this week and is no longer shipping wine to New York. "Wine Library is a member of the National Association of Wine Retailers, so it's a concern for us. I'm concerned for our own store. I'm concerned for wine consumers in this country. This is not the direction we should be heading," Posner said. "We want to be opening up doors, not closing them."
CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Turley just hit. Locals, check emails please.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

otolith wrote:Just got confirmation that my wine is shipping! Would have thought they'd hold during the record heat wave we're having. Hope it doesn't arrive cooked.

From whom? Woot?

otolith

kylemittskus wrote:From whom? Woot?

Yep...well, I guess it's just "shipping info received."

The summer shipping is part of the reason I don't buy a lot from here any more. Plus, the fact that I'm sick of hearing SWMBO whine about the wine.

--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Turley just hit. Locals, check emails please.

Nothing in my email.

What's up?

kylemittskus

MarkDaSpark wrote:Nothing in my email.

What's up?

Hayne, Library, and Pesenti PS. 8 or so Zins, most notably Hayne.

Edit: oh! Nothing. I didn't include you because I know you're on the list. Ron and Adam aren't and I'm not sure if Scott is or not so I sent them my offer to see if they wanted anything.

mother

MarkDaSpark wrote:Nothing in my email.

What's up?

I guess I'm finally cool enough to rank Hayne PS. Now the question is do I really want it at $75/btl...

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Hayne, Library, and Pesenti PS. 8 or so Zins, most notably Hayne.

Edit: oh! Nothing. I didn't include you because I know you're on the list. Ron and Adam aren't and I'm not sure if Scott is or not so I sent them my offer to see if they wanted anything.

Sheesh! Thought you meant they'd been hit by a hacker!

kylemittskus

mother wrote:I guess I'm finally cool enough to rank Hayne PS. Now the question is do I really want it at $75/btl...

Tyger grabbed a bottle a year ago. I passed and am doing so again. Too rich for me.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

our wine at my parents house may no longer be safe. i got a text followed by a call from dad asking if petite sirah would work with chicken kebabs. i intervened and downgraded the tannins...

my parents are drinking wine without me and unprompted by me.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mother

cheron98 wrote:our wine at my parents house may no longer be safe. i got a text followed by a call from dad asking if petite sirah would work with chicken kebabs. i intervened and downgraded the tannins...

my parents are drinking wine without me and unprompted by me.

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Tyger grabbed a bottle a year ago. I passed and am doing so again. Too rich for me.

Hmmm, pickup party in Paso or Amador. Could do Paso, but enjoyed Amador and would have liked more time for Calveras. Decisions, decisions.