$54.99 $̶9̶2̶.̶0̶0̶ 40% off List Price
2008 Geyser Peak Ascentia Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley
2009 Geyser Peak Ascentia Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

All the prattle about New York in the description adds to the annoyance that the problem with shipping to New York still isn't fixed.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

Thirsty!

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 16 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Any insightful comments on 2008 and 2009 vintages for Alexander Valley? Or better yet, these specific wines?

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

Seems odd that both vintages were bottled on the same day, although the 2009 was apparently bottled twice. Maybe that explains why they both say to drink now through 2016.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

The specs on these are interesting.
08' has lower alc and higher acid whereas the 09' has higher alc. and lower acid.

Was this variation naturally occurring and attributable to weather or was there some manipulation here?

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

UBlink wrote:Seems odd that both vintages were bottled on the same day, although the 2009 was apparently bottled twice. Maybe that explains why they both say to drink now through 2016.

Good catch. The bottling date listed on an earlier bullet (Bottling Date: August 2011) is the correct one.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Now that TT is back, maybe some light can be shed on what's happening with shipments to NY.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

needa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages needa

hey everybody. this is a little off subject, but I don't know how to get to a previous 'block' deal.

I purchased a case of the wellington mixed summer whites on Tuesday to be mailed as a thank you gift. could you please tell me how long it normally takes for the wineries to ship these things out? and will i for sure get a tracking number? I sent the case to her work address... so I need to be able to tell her when it is arriving. I also ordered a monitor for my gma the same day and it is being delivered today. so I am a little bit worried. I have never ordered from wine dot woot before.

thanks,
-patrick

ThunderThighs

Staff

ddeuddeg wrote:Now that TT is back, maybe some light can be shed on what's happening with shipments to NY.

I never left. Just don't have any info. Sorry.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
needa wrote:hey everybody. this is a little off subject, but I don't know how to get to a previous 'block' deal.

I purchased a case of the wellington mixed summer whites on Tuesday to be mailed as a thank you gift. could you please tell me how long it normally takes for the wineries to ship these things out? and will i for sure get a tracking number? I sent the case to her work address... so I need to be able to tell her when it is arriving. I also ordered a monitor for my gma the same day and it is being delivered today. so I am a little bit worried. I have never ordered from wine dot woot before.

thanks,
-patrick

It can take up to 3 weeks to ship. Summer shipping makes it more difficult to just pack and ship. You will get a tracking #.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ThunderThighs

Staff

needa wrote:hey everybody. this is a little off subject, but I don't know how to get to a previous 'block' deal.

thanks,
-patrick

Welcome. Most of our sales (except wine) ship in 2-5 business days unless otherwise noted on the sale page.

Wine shipments take a bit longer than shipments from our other sites. Allow at least 2-3 weeks.

The FAQ:

How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it's still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies.

youthguy72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages youthguy72

Long time lurker, don't post much... I returned from a July trip to CA wine country and of the wineries we were able to visit, we were very impressed with Geyser Peak's tasting. We were brought there by my wife's love and my enjoyment of their XYZin offerings, but enjoyed everything they poured us that day (and that includes this Cab). Of course, this price makes my decision not to lug home a few bottles look downright prophetic. Thanks, Woot!

rtdwine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rtdwine

This is a Black Tie Wine, but, nobody is saying how great (or not so great) bargain this is. Any thoughts out there from anyone?

rtdwine

youthguy72 wrote:Long time lurker, don't post much... I returned from a July trip to CA wine country and of the wineries we were able to visit, we were very impressed with Geyser Peak's tasting. We were brought there by my wife's love and my enjoyment of their XYZin offerings, but enjoyed everything they poured us that day (and that includes this Cab). Of course, this price makes my decision not to lug home a few bottles look downright prophetic. Thanks, Woot!

Should have read your post before I asked my question, huh?

rtdwine

rtdwine wrote:Should have read your post before I asked my question, huh?

do you remember what your price at the winery would have been?

kylemittskus

rtdwine wrote:do you remember what your price at the winery would have been?

$46/btl + tax (maybe) and shipping (maybe)

geyserpeakwinery

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geyserpeakwinery
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Any insightful comments on 2008 and 2009 vintages for Alexander Valley? Or better yet, these specific wines?

2008 was an interesting vintage for vintners in Alexander Valley. The fires in Mendocino County carried smoke and ash to most of Northern Sonoma County (where Geyser Peak is) leaving a distinct smokiness to all AV reds from this year. Think grilled meats on a campfire and you've got the 2008 Ascentia.

2009 was a more typical vintage, beautiful fruit prevalent on palate. The Ascentia always tends to drink more Bordeaux-like as compared to other AV Cabs.

geyserpeakwinery

rtdwine wrote:This is a Black Tie Wine, but, nobody is saying how great (or not so great) bargain this is. Any thoughts out there from anyone?

This is a winery-only offering, retails for $42.00 so a steal at this price. It's definitely more of an elegant Cab (as compared to others in our line up) but certainly not restricted to Black Tie occasions. We've produced this wine for many years; it has consistently proven worthy of patience in the cellar.

nathanbsmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith

Will these wines improve with age beyond 2016?

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT

geyserpeakwinery

nathanbsmith wrote:Will these wines improve with age beyond 2016?

A few of us at the winery are personally drinking the 2004--holding up quite nicely if we do say so ourselves! I'd say drink up till 2018 for best enjoyment.

needa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages needa
kylemittskus wrote:It can take up to 3 weeks to ship. Summer shipping makes it more difficult to just pack and ship. You will get a tracking #.

thank you for getting back to me so quickly. and thank you @thunderthighs also. I guess I should have read the faq.

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
geyserpeakwinery wrote:2008 was an interesting vintage for vintners in Alexander Valley. The fires in Mendocino County carried smoke and ash to most of Northern Sonoma County (where Geyser Peak is) leaving a distinct smokiness to all AV reds from this year. Think grilled meats on a campfire and you've got the 2008 Ascentia.

2009 was a more typical vintage, beautiful fruit prevalent on palate. The Ascentia always tends to drink more Bordeaux-like as compared to other AV Cabs.

I would have been interested in an offering of the 2009 only (at least 2x, possibly 3x), but have no interest in the smoked 2008. With rare exceptions, it's a vintage for which I avoid the Cabs assiduously.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

geyserpeakwinery wrote:A few of us at the winery are personally drinking the 2004--holding up quite nicely if we do say so ourselves! I'd say drink up till 2018 for best enjoyment.

I drink no well-made Cabernet (other than at tastings) under the age of 10. The 2004 should just be beginning to come into its own and should continue to develop at least until then.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

mstang1988

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstang1988
rpm wrote:I drink no well-made Cabernet (other than at tastings) under the age of 10. The 2004 should just be beginning to come into its own and should continue to develop at least until then.

RPM, it's been a while since I've been on wine woot's forums. I remember reading about your wine tours. My wife and I are going to be in Napa in mid October. Any places you suggest? Our favorite is Corison. We tend to be cab drinkers but also enjoy a good zin or blend.

Ty Caton - Cab, Goosecross Orange Muscat/Chenin Blanc, Gun Bun - Merlot, mix, pinot noir, Kent Ras. Pinot Noir, Titus Cab, Ty Caton - Fields, GunBun - Block 13 Cab, Woot Cellars - Toothstain (sp), Chase - Red Zin, LV - Cab

scphillips

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scphillips

Where Cabernets are concerned, I never act contrary to rpm's advice, but in this case -- in for one. I'm actually looking forward to tasting the "smoked" 2008. I've been so careful to avoid that vintage from that area, that I have no idea what all the fuss was about. Hey - rpm's standing advice is "Pull a lot of corks. Remember what you taste." You can't remember what you've never tasted, so...

Off topic, but somewhat related...not about today's Geyser Peak offering, but rather the Merlot and Red Wine offerings from G.P. early this month. Ordered both on the same day, and the Merlot was here (in L.A.) in an amazing 6 days! The Red? Not so fast. Woot combined my purchases into a single order with a single tracking number, which my order history now shows as shipped and delivered...but the Red is MIA! I'd be interested to know if there are any other Wooters out there -- Geyser Peak fans -- who made the same purchase and are having the same experience? Logic tells me that four bottles of vino ordered at the same time from the same winery would have been shipped in a single box.

rpm

mstang1988 wrote:RPM, it's been a while since I've been on wine woot's forums. I remember reading about your wine tours. My wife and I are going to be in Napa in mid October. Any places you suggest? Our favorite is Corison. We tend to be cab drinkers but also enjoy a good zin or blend.

The 2008 Tour website is still up and has many good suggestions. Just don't expect anyone except tasting room staff to have any time for you in October - crush and wine making will be in full swing and everyone will be busy as he l l. [There is a reason we schedule the Tours in late July - it's the time most wine makers are likely to be able to spend some time with us.]

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

nathanbsmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith
scphillips wrote:Where Cabernets are concerned, I never act contrary to rpm's advice, but in this case -- in for one. I'm actually looking forward to tasting the "smoked" 2008. I've been so careful to avoid that vintage from that area, that I have no idea what all the fuss was about. Hey - rpm's standing advice is "Pull a lot of corks. Remember what you taste." You can't remember what you've never tasted, so...

Off topic, but somewhat related...not about today's Geyser Peak offering, but rather the Merlot and Red Wine offerings from G.P. early this month. Ordered both on the same day, and the Merlot was here (in L.A.) in an amazing 6 days! The Red? Not so fast. Woot combined my purchases into a single order with a single tracking number, which my order history now shows as shipped and delivered...but the Red is MIA! I'd be interested to know if there are any other Wooters out there -- Geyser Peak fans -- who made the same purchase and are having the same experience? Logic tells me that four bottles of vino ordered at the same time from the same winery would have been shipped in a single box.

I also ordered the GP merlot, GP Red and Ardente 1997 Cabernet but yesterday, only received the merlot. I had the same concern because there was only one tracking number for all three purchases made on August 2nd. I emailed Woot customer service and they asked me to wait until Monday to see if the other packages are delivered.

EDIT #1: I received one additional tracking number on 8/17 and amy final tracking number on 8/18. Looks like everything is going to be ok for this order.

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT

rpm

scphillips wrote:Where Cabernets are concerned, I never act contrary to rpm's advice, but in this case -- in for one. I'm actually looking forward to tasting the "smoked" 2008. I've been so careful to avoid that vintage from that area, that I have no idea what all the fuss was about. Hey - rpm's standing advice is "Pull a lot of corks. Remember what you taste." You can't remember what you've never tasted, so... ....

It's your $. It's a conflict - in a way - between the producer and the wine drinker. The producer has to make and try to sell the wine every year, pretty much regardless of conditions (if it's really bad, the wine can usually be bulked out, but, no one wants to have to do that). The drinker would prefer only to drink wine from great (or at least above average) years. Especially considering that in California, the price doesn't drop significantly (at least until it won't sell for several years....) in poorer years. In Europe, you can sometimes sample great wines from off vintages at bargain prices - at least learning the characteristics of the estate/style - though it will not show you what the wine is capable of.

Based on my experience, and my own tasting, I form general impressions of vintages (knowing that there will always be exceptions - people who made lousy wine in good years and people who made great wine in off years) and then try to buy the years I believe will be stronger and age better, and avoid those I think will be below average. I don't particularly like 'smoky' wines generally, and have not tasted anything red from 2008 - other than some Pinot - that did anything for me. But, YMMV.

If you are building a cellar, you buy larger quantities of the best years, and fill in from lesser years to have things to drink while you're waiting to drink your cellared wines. Putting together a serious Cab cellar is a long term proposition - if you follow my advice and hold the wines a minimum of 10 years from vintage (and some very great wines much longer) before you start to drink them.

The rewards are great - in the past 10 days I've had a 1978 Ridge, a 1979 BV Georges de Latour, a 1989 Corison and a 1997 Corison. Absolutely worth the time, money, and effort (to refrain from opening wines).

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
nathanbsmith wrote:I also ordered the GP merlot and Red and Ardente 1997 Cab but only received the merlot yeterday. I had the same concern because here was only one tracking number for all theee purchases. I emailed Woot customer service and they asked me to wait until Monday to see if the other packages are delivered.

I had the same order and same result, except I've had no response from CS.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

kylemittskus

rpm wrote:...in the past 10 days I've had a 1978 Ridge, a 1979 BV Georges de Latour, a 1989 Corison and a 1997 Corison. Absolutely worth the time, money, and effort (to refrain from opening wines).

RPM rolls like a balla'!

asahenry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asahenry

I just opened one. Fantastic! I followed a bottle of Chateau Monteleone Cab and this wine was as good.