Deep Sea Central Coast Rose 5-Pack
$65.99 $̶1̶2̶7̶.̶0̶0̶ 48% off List Price
2012 Deep Sea "Sea Star" Rose, Central Coast
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

I love GSM roses. Unfortunately club shipments are next month so I'm poor for a while.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of August 11

As the summer winds, down, it's time to...Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

August
8/24: The Wootception!!!

September
Labor Day Weekend: Visiting Vegas for the Weekend!
9/7: NorCal #20: NorCal + SoCal -- PS Night
9/7: Dallas/Fort Worth--September 7th -- Please RSVP by Sept 3 for accurate headcount!
9/28: SoCal #28: Sparky & zTimBz OC Wine Locker Redux

October
Late Oct: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

HAd the opportunity to try this a week ago Sunday. Some friends stopped by and this was chilling.

Initial pour was likely too cold, straight from the fridge. We all thought it was very pleasant and would be a great patio sipper in the summer. Then to let it warm some and see if more came out.

We got more as it warmed up, but it remained a lighter wine. I expected more from the GSM blend. There was nice acidity and some fruit, but it faded fast and had a short finish. This seemed like it would be better with food than on its own. But alas, the four of us had already finished the bottle.

The price offered was right around where we felt it should be. (And yes, I am spoiled a little by woot, and off-name imports.) So this seems to be a solid wine at a good price.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
polarbear22 wrote:I expected more from the GSM blend. There was nice acidity and some fruit, but it faded fast and had a short finish.

Did the low pH pretty much hide the over 1% RS, or did this have some detectable sweetness as it warmed?
What did the blocked Malo contribute?

CT

confusedemmy

quality posts: 21 Private Messages confusedemmy

I don't know if the folks at Woot were actually reading my comments, or if it was serendipitous, but this rose lover got a bottle of this and has been waiting to post tasting notes.

36 hours in the fridge.

First tasting, limited sweet fruit and minerals on the nose. Great acidity and minerals in the mouth... needs to warm up!

After a bit of time, the tart becomes juicy. Still a very limited nose and showing some creamy and bitter afternotes (note: the bitterness is slight and pleasant, not a negative comment).

Even later, the wine shows more fruit, classic cherry/strawberry with a touch of citrus, I think lemon.

Very refreshing, great minerality, a real food wine (I forget what we had, though).

Someone asked about the RS. I was surprised to read that there was any RS at all, I couldn't taste any sugar and thought it was bone dry. A good move on the vintner's part, if you ask me. Also, that creamy note I got was probably the bit of malo that the wine received.

Good at this price point and I really enjoyed it here in the summer in coastal TX, but it doesn't quite match the QPR of Borsao rose.

deepseadrew

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deepseadrew
confusedemmy wrote:I don't know if the folks at Woot were actually reading my comments, or if it was serendipitous, but this rose lover got a bottle of this and has been waiting to post tasting notes.

36 hours in the fridge.

First tasting, limited sweet fruit and minerals on the nose. Great acidity and minerals in the mouth... needs to warm up!

After a bit of time, the tart becomes juicy. Still a very limited nose and showing some creamy and bitter afternotes (note: the bitterness is slight and pleasant, not a negative comment).

Even later, the wine shows more fruit, classic cherry/strawberry with a touch of citrus, I think lemon.

Very refreshing, great minerality, a real food wine (I forget what we had, though).

Someone asked about the RS. I was surprised to read that there was any RS at all, I couldn't taste any sugar and thought it was bone dry. A good move on the vintner's part, if you ask me. Also, that creamy note I got was probably the bit of malo that the wine received.

Good at this price point and I really enjoyed it here in the summer in coastal TX, but it doesn't quite match the QPR of Borsao rose.

Hi Confusedemmy and the rest of the group. Thanks for the kind words about the 2012 Deep Sea Rose! A number of us at Conway Family Wines / Deep Sea Wines actually shred a bottle of this last night at our tasting room on Stearns Wharf in Santa Barbara CA. Our thoughts are on par with yours. When you mentioned "very refrehing, acidity etc" you reached into my thoughts about this wine and pulled them right out. We love Grenache in our Rose's and our Grenache rarely hides any acid. I think the flavors will continue to blossom. The day before bottling it had all the notes you referred to as well as a enchanting layer anise and a hint of bitter orange. Hope you enjoy some more of the Rose down on the Texas coast! If your travels bring you to California...please drop by Santa Barbara and see us at our tasting room. Thanks again!

Andrew Adam- Winemaker
Conway Family Wines/Deep Sea Wines

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

funny thing, I got a bottle of this recently -- tried it a week ago Friday. Enjoyed it with my little wine-drinking circle after work. Very pale salmon color, very light nose. It had only chilled about an hour and a half, so not super-cold. Could detect light fruit on the nose, but very little on the palate. To answer the question above, one taster commented that it smelled light it should be sweet, but it wasn't sweet. Nice dry finish. Price point about right.

Sorry for the brief comments, but I am on vacation on the coast of Maine, and jumping onto WiFi when I can get it. More library!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...enjoyed this at the casa de shill with some friends a couple 'o weeks ago....

Gentle nose of sweet berries, same gentle fruit on the palate. Light, easy drinking, bone dry (at least to my palate). Decent acidity -had some light cheeses and a salad on the patio and it watched it down nicely. Everyone enjoyed it- I'll probably take a bottle to my beach trip this weekend...

Real men drink pink!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

deepseadrew

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deepseadrew
neilfindswine wrote:...enjoyed this at the casa de shill with some friends a couple 'o weeks ago....

Gentle nose of sweet berries, same gentle fruit on the palate. Light, easy drinking, bone dry (at least to my palate). Decent acidity -had some light cheeses and a salad on the patio and it watched it down nicely. Everyone enjoyed it- I'll probably take a bottle to my beach trip this weekend...

Real men drink pink!

Hi Neilfindswine!
Glad you and everyone you were with enjoyed the Rose! Thanks for the comments and cheers to your upcoming beach trip.

Regards-
Andrew Adam-Winemaker
Conway Family Wines/ Deep Sea Wines

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
rjquillin wrote:Did the low pH pretty much hide the over 1% RS, or did this have some detectable sweetness as it warmed?
What did the blocked Malo contribute?

Did not realize that it had that level of RS, no hint of sweet that I recall. So acid must have balanced it.

And no idea on blocked malo.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

spny1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spny1

Why no shipping to NY???? First time that has happened.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
polarbear22 wrote:Did not realize that it had that level of RS, no hint of sweet that I recall. So acid must have balanced it.

And no idea on blocked malo.

I was rather hoping the winery would comment...

CT

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
InFrom wrote:funny thing, I got a bottle of this recently -- tried it a week ago Friday. Enjoyed it with my little wine-drinking circle after work. Very pale salmon color, very light nose. It had only chilled about an hour and a half, so not super-cold. Could detect light fruit on the nose, but very little on the palate. To answer the question above, one taster commented that it smelled like it should be sweet, but it wasn't sweet. Nice dry finish. Price point about right.

Sorry for the brief comments, but I am on vacation on the coast of Maine, and jumping onto WiFi when I can get it. More library!

edit: that was supposed to be 'More lobstah'!

further edit: what I thought I smelled was -very- faint strawberries. But not on the palate. Just a nice, dry blend. I smuggled a couple of sips home in my travel mug, for my spouse to taste. Though she purports to dislike Rose, she liked this one quite a bit, in particular appreciating the dry finish.

Is this really not shipping to NY? Having schlepped it thru 3 boros of NYC, it seemed right @ home there. It sure would be nice here on the coast, a natural to bring to the lobster pound. Some other time, I guess,