losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

My parents are planning a trip to Spain and/or France and dad wants to visit wine country and spend a few nights in a bed and breakfast or the like in Spain (first choice) or France (second). I've never been to either wine country so was hoping some of you may share some insight and/or suggest places to stay, time of year to visit (cost wise) etc. Anything would be appreciated!

"The older I get the better I was"

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
losthighwayz wrote:My parents are planning a trip to Spain and/or France and dad wants to visit wine country and spend a few nights in a bed and breakfast or the like in Spain (first choice) or France (second). I've never been to either wine country so was hoping some of you may share some insight and/or suggest places to stay, time of year to visit (cost wise) etc. Anything would be appreciated!

What part of Spain are they planning on visiting? There are so many varied wine regions in Spain! Travel to Europe is MUCH less expensive starting about mid-September. Airfare is much more expensive during the summer, as are hotels. Paradors are state run hotels that are often restored medieval castles, monasteries and convents that often have a price range from 97 - 159 euros. I do not know about B&B opportunities in Spain or France these days. Back in the mid 80s, a hostal was kind of like a B&B. This is not to be confused with a youth hostel! In Spain, back then, I was able to rent a room for two extremely inexpensively. Sometimes we had a toilet in the room. Sometimes we had to share a common toilet down the hall and more often than not, the shower was also down the hall. They were always very clean and breakfast was available for purchase.

For our trips to Spain last year and this year, we used booking.com for much of our booking and also did a lot of research on TripAdvisor. We rented an apartment in Barcelona this summer and a small hotel in Paris. We were quite pleased with the apartment. The room in Paris was extremely small, but that is to be expected.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman

A while back I tremendously enjoyed the experience of driving from Lyon to Paris via Beaujolais and Burgundy. Met some very welcoming and interesting winemakers, sipped wine in a garage or two, tasted kangaroo steak for the first time (in Dijon), and it was a ton of fun.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT