gijose

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gijose

I was thinking about trying to put together a day trip to do a bit of wine tasting while in Paris...

I was thinking about either taking the train down to Chablis and then renting a car, or renting a car in Paris and heading to Champagne.

Anyone have any experiences with either/think it's feasible? Also, how different is wine tasting in France vs wine tasting here? I heard wineries over there aren't generally very welcoming of walk-ins, and I'd need to contact them in advance to find out if I can stop by.

NYC!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
gijose wrote:I was thinking about trying to put together a day trip to do a bit of wine tasting while in Paris...

I was thinking about either taking the train down to Chablis and then renting a car, or renting a car in Paris and heading to Champagne.

Anyone have any experiences with either/think it's feasible? Also, how different is wine tasting in France vs wine tasting here? I heard wineries over there aren't generally very welcoming of walk-ins, and I'd need to contact them in advance to find out if I can stop by.

I used this company (really just one French guy):

http://www.wine-day-tours.com/

He took us to the Loire valley including Sancerre. It was probably the most memorable part of our trip to Paris.

The wineries weren't fancy, but they all made good wine.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
redwinefan wrote:I used this company (really just one French guy):

http://www.wine-day-tours.com/

He took us to the Loire valley including Sancerre. It was probably the most memorable part of our trip to Paris.

The wineries weren't fancy, but they all made good wine.

Interesting. I read a few reviews on Trip Advisor, one from a couple who spent 10 days in Paris last month, about the same time we were there, and who felt that this was one of their 2 best days in Paris. We only had 5 days, and stayed in the city the entire time, loving every minute of it, but next time (and there will be a next time), we'll probably stay longer and definitely branch out more. Giverny, Versailles, Chartres. This is another trip we'll definitely consider. Thanks.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
gijose wrote:I was thinking about trying to put together a day trip to do a bit of wine tasting while in Paris...

I've driven buses in most big cities in the US, but after just spending 5 days in Paris, I don't think I'd want to drive a car there. I'd go with redwinefan's idea.
That said, I'm assuming you'll make sure to see some of Paris itself. One of the lesser-known places we enjoyed was Mass Sunday morning at St. Sulpice. Before Mass, 15 minutes of Mendelssohn organ music on one of the world's great pipe organs, played by the resident organist, reputed to be one of Europe's finest, and then 30 minutes of music after Mass, played by the organist from the cathedral in Lyon. The church itself is a visual treat. The taxi dropped us at a little plaza in front of the church, in the midst of a charming little neighborhood. Once inside, you can't help being surprised by the vastness of the second largest church in Paris. A bonus: just across the street is one of Pierre Herme's little pastry shops, where they sell some of the most amazing macarons anywhere.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
ddeuddeg wrote:Interesting. I read a few reviews on Trip Advisor, one from a couple who spent 10 days in Paris last month, about the same time we were there, and who felt that this was one of their 2 best days in Paris. We only had 5 days, and stayed in the city the entire time, loving every minute of it, but next time (and there will be a next time), we'll probably stay longer and definitely branch out more. Giverny, Versailles, Chartres. This is another trip we'll definitely consider. Thanks.

I loved Paris, and I can't wait to go back. When I do, I'll probably call this same company to have them arrange another wine day trip for me. It's a great option if you don't have time to go on a longer trip to the various wine regions.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219

Take the train to Reims. We did some Champagne tasting and saw the cathedral.