2009 Freedom Hill Vineyard Pinot Noir
2009 Verde Vineyards Pinot Noir
2009 Reserve Pinot Noir
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

Oh boy.... will we get tasting notes for all 6 wines together?

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20

Holy expensive Oregon Pinot batman.
This would blow my wine budget for several months and would love try this side by side but I think it's not to be. @ 28.5 a bottle shipped to me it's not quite in my price range for an unknown.

But if there are tarting notes to be left here please do so, we are eagerly awaiting hem.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen

An OR Pinot lover's dream offer! All are 2009 vintage - was that a good year for OR Pinots?

manhandsha

quality posts: 39 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

chipgreen wrote:An OR Pinot lover's dream offer! All are 2009 vintage - was that a good year for OR Pinots?

Congrats on 100 quality posts! ;)

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Very interesting offer!!

Any golden tickets out there on this one?

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

I received a bottle of the 2009 Panther Creek Ribbon Ridge Pinot to taste. I just opened this bottle about 1 hour ago...
Here are my notes thus far;

PnP: Crimson color with a touch of brick hue. Medium color concentration; on the deeper side for a pinot.

Initial nose was very hot. Some cherry aromas were coming through though.

After just a few minutes the alcohol was already starting to subside on the nose. Picking up cherry, blackberry, sweet earth, dark chocolate and hibiscus flower.

Medium-light bodied on the palate. Flavors of cherry and blackberry carry to the palate. Cedar, cocoa and bing cherries on the finish.

30 minutes in: Alcohol is still present on the nose but is now at a much more acceptable level. After reading the winery tasting notes, I am now picking up the licorice note; funny how that works!

The palate is getting brighter, fuller and the flavors are coming through more cleanly. I am also just noticing how puckering the tannins are!

1 hour in: Alcohol is now less noticeable. Aromas are integrating well as are the flavors. The tannins are very fine but abundant. The finish is not too shabby at 25+ seconds

At this point I would definitely recommend decanting this particular wine for an hour+. The alcohol is way too hot at PnP and mutes much of the nuances. I would pair this wine with heavier pinot food; salmon, lamb and even leaner cuts of beef. Personally, I would age this bottle for a couple more years. I'm curious as to what the winery recommends regarding drinking window for this wine.

chipgreen

manhandsha wrote:Congrats on 100 quality posts! ;)

Thanks!

bonnylane

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bonnylane

Panther Creek is one of our favorite wineries! What a delight when I saw it as a Wine woot deal!!

amandamanfredo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages amandamanfredo

I could very much stand to add more pn to my cabinet, but I'm waiting for more notes/advice as to worthiness of this, especially since I'm pretty much broke for the next few months. We're willing to go deeper in debt for good wine, but not for so-so wine.

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

Some winery background while waiting for tasting notes:

http://oregonuncorked.sutromedia.com/panther-creek-cellars.html

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

I did a tasting of Panther Creek when I was in OR in 2008. We enjoyed their PN's. Due to space limits, I only bought one bottle, and that was Shea Vineyard, not one offered here.

I considered them a good example of OR Pinot Noir. I expect I will be ordering soon.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

pspreier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pspreier
chipgreen wrote:An OR Pinot lover's dream offer! All are 2009 vintage - was that a good year for OR Pinots?

My recollection is that 2009 was indeed a very good year for OR Pinot. More lush and fruit forward than the 2008 vintage, but still having very good aging potential. The 2009 OR Pinot that I have tasted (Bergstrom, Eyrie, Patricia Green) were all very good and I am cellaring several bottles from that vintage.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
pspreier wrote:My recollection is that 2009 was indeed a very good year for OR Pinot. More lush and fruit forward than the 2008 vintage, but still having very good aging potential. The 2009 OR Pinot that I have tasted (Bergstrom, Eyrie, Patricia Green) were all very good and I am cellaring several bottles from that vintage.

Actually, 2009 was a tough year in OR. 2008 was a far better vintage. As with any vintage though, great wine can be made by the right hands.

Again, depending on the style and numbers of the 2009s you have bought YMMV in terms of cellaring.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

I happened to have a bottle of the 09 Panther Creek Pinot Noir Temperance Hill and popped it on Sat night.

Once opened the aromatics are gorgeous, cherry earth forest floor flowers and pinot funk and no heat.

On the palate it is mostly cherry with maybe some plum flavors. The mid palate seemed kind of flat or hollow maybe a lack of acid or travel shock could be just a mild letdown after that gorgeous nose?? and the finish is medium. I would think that this bottle needs some time on it's side to fully come together.

Overall it was good and a fair price I would buy this set if I did not have a huge purchase coming up later this week.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

bsevern

I find this to be an interesting bench mark for recent Oregon Pinot vintages, and 2009 looks fine:

Oregon Pinot Ratings

Winedavid39

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Really excited about this offer. a real opportunity on some single vineyard gems.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
tytiger58 wrote:I happened to have a bottle of the 09 Panther Creek Pinot Noir Temperance Hill and popped it on Sat night.

Once opened the aromatics are gorgeous, cherry earth forest floor flowers and pinot funk and no heat.

On the palate it is mostly cherry with maybe some plum flavors. The mid palate seemed kind of flat or hollow maybe a lack of acid or travel shock could be just a mild letdown after that gorgeous nose?? and the finish is medium. I would think that this bottle needs some time on it's side to fully come together.

Overall it was good and a fair price I would buy this set if I did not have a huge purchase coming up later this week.

Interesting. I recall someone stating that Pinot Noir was more susceptible to travel shock than other wines. So very well could be an element of travel shock.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

joseph1951

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joseph1951

Hopefully we will get the winery on for some info

vineaux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vineaux
bsevern wrote:I find this to be an interesting bench mark for recent Oregon Pinot vintages, and 2009 looks fine:

Oregon Pinot Ratings

no Panther Creek any where?

chipgreen

bsevern wrote:I find this to be an interesting bench mark for recent Oregon Pinot vintages, and 2009 looks fine:

Oregon Pinot Ratings

That looks like a great resource although they don't have any Panther Creek 2009 Pinots listed for some reason. HERE is their Panther Creek page and they only list 2006-2008 vintages, with WA scores and a few tasting notes.

chipgreen

vineaux wrote:no Panther Creek any where?

That was also my first thought after scanning the list then I did a little digging and discovered that the site may need some updating, as per above.

EDIT: Although their '06-'08 didn't make the (much shorter) top-rated lists either. Their highest WA rating is 91 and the lists cut off around 93.

bsevern

vineaux wrote:no Panther Creek any where?

True, but that wasn't the point of the link.

bsevern

As luck would have it, I received a golden ticket 2009 Lazy River Vineyard Pinot Noir, but it arrived at my office after I went home Friday.

I'm going to take it home for a late lunch, and slowox it for tasting notes early this evening. Looking forward to this one!!

panthercreek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages panthercreek

This is Michele from Panther Creek Cellars and I'm so happy to see so many people discussing our wine sale!

Here is even more information about the wines in this pack as well as the winery itself. Please don't hesitate to ask any additional questions you may have in order to help you make a decision on this purchase.

2009 Lazy River Vineyard Pinot Noir
SRP $40
AVA: Yamhill Carlton Production: 125 cases
Bottling Date: March 2011 Soil Type: Jory
Alcohol: 14.3%
Aging: 16 months, 30% New French Oak

Bright and supple, candied cherry, pleasantly smoked earth tones, bushels of red berries, a vibrant and balanced wine, with a silky smooth texture.

2009 Reserve Pinot Noir
SRP $50
AVAs: Dundee Hills, Yamhill Carlton, Eola Amity Hills Production: 500 cases
Bottling Date: March 2011 Vineyards: 50% Freedom Hill, 25% Vista Hills, 25% Lazy River
Alcohol:14.3%

2009 Freedom Hill Vineyard Pinot Noir
SRP $40
AVA: Eola Amity Hills Production: 1,000 cases
Bottling Date: March 2011 Soil Type: Sedimentary Bellpine
Alcohol:14.3% Clones: Pommard, Wadenswil & Dijon 777

Red cherries roasting over a camp fire, caramel, baking spices, an explosion of red fruit with a delicate kiss of earth, flows delicately across the palate supported by fine tannins and length.

2009 Verde Pinot Noir SRP $40
AVAs: Dundee Hills, Yamhill Carlton, Eola Amity Hills Production: 600 cases
Bottling Date: February 2011 Vineyards: 46% Vista Hills, 34% Lazy River, 20% Temperance Hill
Alcohol:14.1% Aging: 15 months, 25% New French Oak

A blend of Pinot from the Vista Hills, Lazy River and Temperance Hill vineyards – juicy bright red berries, leather, French vanilla and tobacco, subtle cola and spice with a lingering finish.

2009 Temperance Hill Vineyard Pinot Noir
SRP $40
AVA: Eola Amity Hills Production: 200 cases
Bottling Date: March 2011 Soil Type: Nekia
Alcohol:13.4% Elevation: 800 feet

Blooming with floral qualities, red fruit, cassis, violets, and cinnamon, a pleasant high note of dried herbs, incredible balance of soft tannins and expressive acidity, and a lengthy juicy finish.

2009 Ribbon Ridge Vineyard Pinot Noir
SRP $40
AVA: Ribbon Ridge Production: 125 cases
Bottling Date: March 2011 Soil Type: Sedimentary-Willakenzie
Alcohol:14.3% Clones: Pommard & Dijon 777

Bursting with red and blue fruit, black licorice, wet coffee grounds, enticing and seamless with a velvety texture…vibrant.

Panther Creek Cellars has been producing Pinot noir, Pinot gris and Chardonnay since 1986. Founded by the acclaimed winemaker Ken Wright, Panther Creek has been recognized for its signature blends as well as single vineyard designate wines. Sourced solely from Oregon’s Willamette Valley, including the Shea Vineyard, Temperance Hill Vineyard and Freedom Hill Vineyard, Panther Creek Cellars wines are a true representation of this distinct area’s terroir.

Robert Parker has this to say about Panther Creek Cellars:

“Panther Creek wines are Oregon’s most beautifully packaged and also the most concentrated and age worthy wines now being made in Oregon…

Panther Creek has established itself as one of the most consistent, high quality Oregon wineries.”

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Thanks for joining us, Michele! Are you the tasting room manager? Wine groupie? Winemaker?

Also, thoughts on how these will age?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:I happened to have a bottle of the 09 Panther Creek Pinot Noir Temperance Hill and popped it on Sat night...

Wish I could have joined in for tasting this one. When I saw this I was also hoping a bottle would be waiting for me upon return from the wedding.woot this weekend. No dice.

Since I'm currently looking for reasons to not purchase, the comments of high perceptible alcohol (and the high dollar amount for the sale, despite the value) keep the trigger finger safely away from the big yellow button.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
klezman wrote:Wish I could have joined in for tasting this one. When I saw this I was also hoping a bottle would be waiting for me upon return from the wedding.woot this weekend. No dice.

Since I'm currently looking for reasons to not purchase, the comments of high perceptible alcohol (and the high dollar amount for the sale, despite the value) keep the trigger finger safely away from the big yellow button.

I would have but received on Fri and just had no time on the weekend...we do need to get a group of us back together soon...Sundays are good and most fridays. BTW no heat on this bottle.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

bsevern

A bottle of 2009 Lazy River Vineyard Pinot Noir found its way to my office Friday, unfortunately I'd already gone home for the day when the bottle arrived so it was a pleasant surprise for Monday!

I took the bottle home during my lunch break today to open it and slow oxygenate it for tasting after work. I did try a small sample after I popped it open during my lunch break and these were my notes - Initial PnP - the nose had aromas of strawberries, bright raspberries, a bit of alcohol and earth. On the palate I got candied dark cherries, more earth, and a bit of alcohol. It was simple, but not in a bad way, with a very long finish.

Fast forward three hours, keep in mind the bottles now been open for a bit over three hours. Good time to try my new Riedel Vinum XL Pinot Noir glasses

I was really hoping the alcohol would blow off the nose, unfortunately it's still present and the nose is very much similar to what it was off the initial PnP, however, the fruit has subdued somewhat. I don't get quite the brightness of the strawberries and raspberries now. Earthiness and subdued candied cherries are now the prominent features on the nose.

The dark garnet color is quite dark for a Pinot.

The pallet has remained much the same as it was from the initial PnP, earth notes, candied cherry, bright raspberries (almost twizzler like) still a little bit of alcohol though it has greatly diminished since the initial PnP. Overall a fairly simple Pinot Noir, although not in a bad way. The finish has a quite long hang time, being very pleasant with long lingering candied cherry favors.

Overall I'd say this is a decent effort, although not nearly as complex as I usually tend to find Oregon Pinots that I enjoy. I'd be really curious to see what another two, three, maybe even five years in the cellar would do with this one. Perhaps it has the potential to develope into something more, but the simplicity of it makes me question that. The finish is really something to behold, and it would be great with a variety of cheeses, and other foods.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz
tytiger58 wrote:I would have but received on Fri and just had no time on the weekend...we do need to get a group of us back together soon...Sundays are good and most fridays. BTW no heat on this bottle.

+1

"The older I get the better I was"

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of August 11

As the summer winds, down, it's time to...Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

August
8/24: The Wootception!!!

September
Labor Day Weekend: Visiting Vegas for the Weekend!
9/7: NorCal #20: NorCal + SoCal -- PS Night
9/7: Dallas/Fort Worth--September 7th -- Please RSVP by Sept 3 for accurate headcount!
9/28: SoCal #28: Sparky & zTimBz OC Wine Locker Redux

October
Late Oct: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

panthercreek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages panthercreek
kylemittskus wrote:Thanks for joining us, Michele! Are you the tasting room manager? Wine groupie? Winemaker?

Also, thoughts on how these will age?

Hi Kyle-

I assist Panther Creek with their marketing efforts and have been a big fan of their wine for years. As far as aging goes, 2009 was HOT year in the Willamette Valley. Happily there wasn't much concern that our fruit wouldn't ripen and it produced some lovely wines. We cellared these wines and the 2009 PCC wines are tasting great right now so enjoy them!