$74.99 $̶1̶2̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 40% off List Price
2008 Rocky Terrace Zinfandel, Sonoma Valley
2008 Primitivo, Los Chamizal, Sonoma Valley
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

I'm glad to see the fancy monkey has been back for a few Wednesdays now. Oh and look some wine.............

CT

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 48 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

I thought the fine folks at UC Davis have said that Primitivo and Zinfandel are genetically the same?

More importantly, given that both of these are 08's, is there any smoke taint? Was there any manipulation done to the wine to deal with the smoke taint?

Interestingly, I was at Toulouse a couple years ago and thought the "smoke taint" really added something nice to their Pinot, so it is not necessarily a bad thing.

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec

Is 2008 considered a good vintage for Sonoma Zin?

SmilingBoognish

I don't know about all of Sonoma, but I opened up some 2008 Old Vine Limerick Lane Zinfandel from Sonoma with dinner on Saturday night and it was really hitting it's stride. The year had it's challenges for northern California vineyards with the fires started by dry lightning to be certain. This was a highly variable effect depending on your location.

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
SmilingBoognish wrote:I don't know about all of Sonoma, but I opened up some 2008 Old Vine Limerick Lane Zinfandel from Sonoma with dinner on Saturday night and it was really hitting it's stride. The year had it's challenges for northern California vineyards with the fires started by dry lightning to be certain. This was a highly variable effect depending on your location.

The 2008 smoke taint issue was limited to some parts of Mendocino County.

Here's an article on said subject:

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/Smoke-Taint-a-Concern-in-Northern-California-Vineyards_4367

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
cortot20 wrote:I'm glad to see the fancy monkey has been back for a few Wednesdays now. Oh and look some wine.............

The fancy monkey showed up at my door the other day. He was wearing a tuxedo and carrying a bottle of 2008 Haywood Estate Rocky Terrace Zinfandel on a silver platter.

I invited him in and offered him a banana but he refused and pointed to the bottle. As I went to the kitchen to rummage around for a corkscrew, I heard the screen door slam. The monkey was gone but he left an additional parting gift in the middle of my living room floor. This is why monkeys should not wear tuxedos.

"I'll deal with that later" I thought to myself, as I popped the cork and poured some of the Haywood Estate Rocky Terrace Zin into a glass. The wine is a violet color, with slow-forming legs. Wonderful nose of raspberry and peppery spice with a little vanilla and nutmeg.

On the palate, a little heat with loads of raspberry, some cherry pit, blackberry, creme de cassis and brambly pepper. Mild oak with medium, almost-but-not-quite chewy tannins and powdered mocha notes on the medium finish.

There is a lot to like about this wine but there is also a little bit of an "off" note. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's slightly bitter and metallic in nature, yet also seems almost vegetative - like grilled asparagus (queue the "Sideways" jokes).

After some time in the glass, the bitter note does not blow off but it does fade into the background as the fruit and spice become more dominant (the spice more so than the fruit). However it comes back into focus, lingering as an aftertaste on the upper palate near the back of the mouth long after the finish.

Some people will like that and 25% of people cannot even taste "bitter" and won't notice it at all, but it was a little off-putting to me. I really enjoyed this wine as it opened up and masked the bitter metallic/asparagus flavor component but the fact that it shows back up after the finish and lingers on the palate will keep me on the sidelines for this offer.

It might become better integrated with additional bottle time. This wine seems like it is just now entering its optimal drinking window and should peak over the next 12-24 months.

As I head towards the kitchen to refill my glass, I am abruptly reminded that the fancy monkey left a little something else behind as well, and am thankful to be wearing shoes.

EDIT: As I think about it some more, the bitter/metallic note reminds me of the aftertaste of a Tums tablet. That's Calcium, so perhaps this is the result of calciferous soil?

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
McMalbec wrote:Is 2008 considered a good vintage for Sonoma Zin?

I don't know but my favorite Zin so far has been a 2008 Cakebread so it certainly wasn't a bad vintage.

EDIT: Of course now I realize that Cakebread isn't in Sonoma so kind of a moot point!

SmilingBoognish

bsevern wrote:The 2008 smoke taint issue was limited to some parts of Mendocino County.

Ah, makes some sense. I remember the smoke issue because my first son was born in June of that year. At the time we were living in San Jose (Santa Clara Valley) and the smoke was quite thick when we brought him home. So thick, in fact, that people were advised to stay indoors and the sky was an odd color of yellow/green particularly at sunrise and sunset.
tl;dr on the article for now, but I know that some of the wineries in the vicinity were affected.

tml61747

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tml61747

The laws of Va. say I can have two cases of wine delivered a month. So why does Woot say no deliveries to Va???????? This makes no sense at all.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
tml61747 wrote:The laws of Va. say I can have two cases of wine delivered a month. So why does Woot say no deliveries to Va???????? This makes no sense at all.

Unfortunately, Virginia Laws are more complex than that.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Cesare

quality posts: 1650 Private Messages Cesare

Hey I have this. Will post a review of the Primitivo later.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

tenoreprimo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tenoreprimo

High alcohol and pH plus a pretty agressive price make this offering an easy pass.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo

It being a slow day - I thought I would comment that I am drinking a 2010 Iron Horse unoaked Chard - I guess I bought it as I had tasted it at Joy's place.

Just how a like a Chard - fruit, dry - not tart, no butter - splendid!

... and I am not much of a white drinker

Cheers!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
chipgreen wrote:I don't know but my favorite Zin so far has been a 2008 Cakebread so it certainly wasn't a bad vintage.

EDIT: Of course now I realize that Cakebread isn't in Sonoma so kind of a moot point!

a moot point, or a soot point?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Cesare wrote:Hey I have this. Will post a review of the Primitivo later.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice

Love Haywood Zins. This is one of my autobuys. Their vineyard is in a great setting tucked into the hills above Sonoma proper. In for one.

Z

Cesare

quality posts: 1650 Private Messages Cesare

Opened the 2008 Primitivo with dinner.
Wow this is not your father's Zin. Nice dark color, medium-full body, bright red berry fruit on the nose, some alcohol but not too bad. Tastes great. Lots of spice and oak, strawberry and black pepper. This is so warm and earthy and rich. Nice long finish. Low acid. Quite a bit of tannins so more time or air would benefit this. Heavier than your typical Zin and also less of a fruity alcohol bomb that some can be.
I really enjoyed this! Good stuff.

Edit: The longer I have this sitting in the glass I get more of a darker fruit component like plum, and some vanilla and tobacco.
This is quite complex and interesting and I think not as new world as you might expect based on the numbers and where it's from. I only wish it had more acidity.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple