WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Does label design affect your buying decisions?
  • 10.5% - Yes, it indicates how much the winemakers care about quality 159
  • 20.3% - Yes, it says something about the winery's taste 307
  • 40.9% - Yes, probably, but in ways I'm not totally aware of 620
  • 28.3% - No, the quality of the label says nothing about what's inside 429
1515 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

wearemany

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wearemany

Yup sure do... For beer as well

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper
wearemany wrote:Yup sure do... For beer as well

I'll drink to that, Coors of course...

duzibatz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duzibatz

Besides checking out the label, I also like to read the description on the back of the bottle. Sometimes around holidays I'll try wine (or beer) that has a label that goes along with the theme. For instance, if it's not something scary/creepy looking for Halloween, then maybe it's something red and green for Christmas.

alexasnows

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alexasnows

I stay away from what in the wine industry is called "critter labels" It all started with yellow tail.
If they are spending so much on marketing I do not trust what is in the bottle.
It is best to find a wine shop where there is an actual wine person who has sampled the wines. These people are usually very passionate about what they do.

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

I still have a bottle of "Cash-flow Chardonnay" I bought just for the label.

kayladnd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kayladnd

Really glad this wasn't a hair related poll.

pigsnfish

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pigsnfish

I'll buy wine if the label is sarcastic or cute or has pretty pictures on it.

baileydawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baileydawn

In my experience the flashier the label, the worse the wine.

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284

fancier the label the worse the wine (generally speaking)

mrgrogg

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mrgrogg

There was an episode of "Mind Games" where they had a wine tasting.

They took a two buck chuck and decanted half of it into bottles from extremely expensive and famous wine, and the other half into wine boxes.

They showed the nice bottles to the tasters and served the wine from them and told the tasters it was very expensive. It got excellent reviews from all the tasters.

The same tasters were then served the same wine from the wine boxes and told that it was a very inexpensive wine of the same grape variety. The tasters hated it and gave it terrible reviews. One couldn't even bring himself to swallow the terrible stuff even though he loved it when it was poured from a nice bottle.

This showed that the label has a greater effect on the perception of wine than the actual flavor of the wine.

It was pretty amazing how strongly different opinions were when the only difference was the label.

----------
How much work could a network net if a network could net work?

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

I like it when they put horrible labels on great wine because it usually doesn't sell, and then ends up on flash sites for a song and a dance.....bring on the crumby labels!!!

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin

On labels, I detect a rip-off here !

CT

rpm

quality posts: 177 Private Messages rpm
mrgrogg wrote:There was an episode of "Mind Games" where they had a wine tasting.

They took a two buck chuck and decanted half of it into bottles from extremely expensive and famous wine, and the other half into wine boxes.

They showed the nice bottles to the tasters and served the wine from them and told the tasters it was very expensive. It got excellent reviews from all the tasters.

The same tasters were then served the same wine from the wine boxes and told that it was a very inexpensive wine of the same grape variety. The tasters hated it and gave it terrible reviews. One couldn't even bring himself to swallow the terrible stuff even though he loved it when it was poured from a nice bottle.

This showed that the label has a greater effect on the perception of wine than the actual flavor of the wine.

It was pretty amazing how strongly different opinions were when the only difference was the label.

Back in the day, we did something like that: served up Gallo Hearty Burgundy in a Chateau Mouton bottle and fooled a bunch of wine snots.

In fact someone once asked the famous wine expert Hugh Johnson if he had ever mistaken a Bordeaux for a Burgundy (or vice versa) and he said "yes" - when then asked when, he said "today, at luncheon".

Labels influence me only for the information they contain about what's inside. Most are minimally helpful, but some have a lot of information.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fredrinaldi

not normally but I love the Raised By Wolfs label & Rockus Bockus

funbunny

quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny
fredrinaldi wrote:not normally but I love the Raised By Wolfs label & Rockus Bockus

I thought you would say you only buy if the label design says Cabernet Sauvignon.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

spldart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spldart

Now I can plant some Wineflowers X~D!

vegascpl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vegascpl

Enjoying a bottle of wine with friends is more than just the quality or variety of wine. A well created provocative label implies a story, theme, or fantasy and that makes it so much more enjoyable.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

I dunno.

My wine is always wrapped in a brown paper sack.