2010 Per Alessandra Barbera d'Alba
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
2/11/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

frogmommy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages frogmommy

I am doing the happy dance! So glad I was awake at midnight. I am hoping the 2010 is just as magical as the previous years.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

Enjoyed this from the previous offer. A nice casual wine suitable for ribs or pizza. But 31% discount plus summer shipping... this is no great deal.

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared
woottoady wrote:Enjoyed this from the previous offer. A nice casual wine suitable for ribs or pizza. But 31% discount plus summer shipping... this is no great deal.

31% isn't a good deal? You are spoiled

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
woottoady wrote:Enjoyed this from the previous offer. A nice casual wine suitable for ribs or pizza. But 31% discount plus summer shipping... this is no great deal.

It's about a dollar more per bottle than the previous offer (for the 2009 vintage) when you figure in tax and shipping. One caveat being that you have to buy a minimum of 4 bottles this time instead of 3.

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
bskuared wrote:31% isn't a good deal? You are spoiled

Not necessarily, perception of value is 100% up to the consumer Regardless of percentages off and how good a deal other people think it is. It's all about what the price per bottle is and if you as a consumer think it is fair. I could care less what the discount percentage is because winery pricing is so out of sync with what the general public including myself is willing to pay.

The term QPR is wonderful because it is completely subjective. One persons good QPR wine could be bad for another. At roughly $20 per bottle this would have to be an awesome wine to me to even consider it.

I'm a part of two winery clubs, I will be canceling both this fall before their shipments because I do enjoy their wines considerably but I can find wine of better or equal value here for less money. And one of them is wellington. ( I know sacrilege)

Is 30% a good discount. Only those that have tried the wine or the winery's other wines can say and that's still completely subjective.

Edit: I know you said it lightheartedly but it hits home for me because I don't have much extra money to spend on wine so what I choose to buy is extremely price sensitive.

CT

true559

quality posts: 24 Private Messages true559

It appears this wine never came in contact with any oak. Is aging in stainless steel customary for this region or simply the wine makers call? I personally like well balanced oakiness in my reds.

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared
cortot20 wrote:Not necessarily, perception of value is 100% up to the consumer Regardless of percentages off and how good a deal other people think it is.
Edit: I know you said it lightheartedly but it hits home for me because I don't have much extra money to spend on wine so what I choose to buy is extremely price sensitive.

Agreed. However, if a wine is a certain price to start with that is out of your price range, that doesn't make it a bad deal. It makes it a non-starter for you, but not necessarily a bad deal. 30% discount is a nice deal no matter what the starting price is. Does this make one want to purchase,..... now THAT's a subjective question

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
bskuared wrote:Agreed. However, if a wine is a certain price to start with that is out of your price range, that doesn't make it a bad deal. It makes it a non-starter for you, but not necessarily a bad deal. 30% discount is a nice deal no matter what the starting price is. Does this make one want to purchase,..... now THAT's a subjective question

Interesting comment. But I completely disagree. I can make a bottle that should retail at around $20 and put a MSRP of $30 on it and then just fool you into thinking you really got a 30% discount(looking at you Ty). This is were your perception of quality comes into play.

I think long and hard at anything over $20 shipped. I have paid $70+ in the past for bottles but those of course are wines i had tried and placed a value on. And of course to hold for special occasions.

Price is the end deciding factor for all wine purchases. Looking at a wines specs and notes gets you interested and the price shipped is the decider regardless of percent off. The original MSRP means absolutely nothing.

CT

samwfoster

quality posts: 2 Private Messages samwfoster

bottom line for me is that I drank all of the 2009 from last time. no complaints from anyone.

went well with food and without food.

good buy in my opinion. in for 2.

Sam

from my CT "10/31/2012: Soft cherry, no tannins, short finish. Nice glass of wine." 2009 average points is 90.