Cesare

quality posts: 1597 Private Messages Cesare

Houdini Decanter with Wine Shower
$24.99 $̶4̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 38% off List Price

Website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

A wine shower, eh? Sounds promising.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

On a serious note, I had the former version of this product, and I'm very happy with it at this price point.

The last version had a glass insert to perform the showering. This piece was quite fragile, so I'm glad to see they've replaced it with a non-glass version.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

mariomario42

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mariomario42

Man, I saw one of these at Goodwill for $1. Had no idea what it was though.

lichme

quality posts: 2772 Private Messages lichme

Here are some good reviews from Amazon

kyle83uw

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kyle83uw

I actually have both items- bought the "shower" from amazon and bought the decanter from woot (or one very similar) - the wine shower is great for older wines or those w/ a lot of sediment.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

You know the old saying, "Those who decant, deteach."

jetman5443

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jetman5443

THIS THING IS AWESOME!!!

I have this exact one. (got it from Ross for $15)

It's beautiful when pouring the wine, and does a good job holding the wine, and it isn't giant like some decanters. It's crystal therefore, it's very resilient, we've even dropped it a couple times. Things around our house have to be resilient, there is quite a bit of wine drinking going on here...

Cleaning is a snap with an old bartenders trick, just use salt, ice, and a little water, swish it around, and SNAP it's clean. Rinse the strainer/shower right after use, and bingo bango!

(Also, the lip is cut not rolled which adds a nice feel of sophistication, and lets you know it's crystal.)

Would buy at this price point, also makes a great gift!

Sherpat

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Sherpat

Um...the punt doesn't actually increase surface area, unless the point protrudes above the surface and the wine sticks to it. But otherwise, yeah, buy it. When I was a sommelier we would pour young reds back and forth between two decanters (generally 10-15 times) for the same effect. But we were steely nerved pros. This thing is probably easier for the timid masses to handle.

kylecountryman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kylecountryman

Woot you are killing me! I just bought a similar version of this a few weeks back.

mstern20878

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mstern20878

I have one of these and I use it EVERY time I pour red wine. Excellent!

sh001804

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sh001804

I bought this exact decanter about a year ago. I love the look, the pour, and the slight relaxation it gives the wine. One a downside it's impossible to clean. I have found that a final rinse in filtered water and storing/drying upside down on a paper towel helps.

SteveO

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Is this a Polish decanter? Cause I only buy Polish decanters.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

It would be nice to know where these are made. I'm assuming Poland or the Czech Republic, and hoping not China.

I'm considering one, I like the design and could use another decanter and the wine shower + sediment filter are a big plus, BUT the reviews on Amazon have a lot of comments regarding the thin glass, and several have broke due to this. That makes me a bit hesitant.

Does woot know what the Metrokane warranty is on this?

bsevern

Thread hijack:

Don't forget this Saturday in Santa Rosa, WineSmith BBQ - See the Gatherings forum for more info.

/hijack off

bhodilee

bsevern wrote:
/hijack off

this is only achievable in Colorado and Washington.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bhodilee wrote:this is only achievable in Colorado and Washington.

But there's Mount McKinley in Alaska at 20,320 feet, and Mount Whitney at 14,505, if you insist on staying in the lower 48.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bsevern wrote:Does woot know what the Metrokane warranty is on this?

We checked and there's no warranty on this. I guess because there's no moving parts. I'm sure they'll be helpful if you have issues.

Also, made in China.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
bhodilee wrote:Is this a Polish decanter? Cause I only buy Polish decanters.

Just pour the wine into it while holding it upside down, and you'll be all set.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

ddeuddeg wrote:But there's Mount McKinley in Alaska at 20,320 feet, and Mount Whitney at 14,505, if you insist on staying in the lower 48.

Yes, but I'm going for the relatively unseen TRIPLE ENTENDRE!

bhodilee

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Just pour the wine into it while holding it upside down, and you'll be all set.

come on man, you've been around long enough!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
bsevern wrote:
/hijack off

The / already signifies the ending of whatever it is you had started....so does this mean that you are ending the "hijack off", and therefore actually turning it back on?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

kaycie02

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaycie02

A lot of people on Amazon say it is thin and breaks too easily. Looks cool if you are just displaying it though I guess.

http://www.amazon.com/Metrokane-Houdini-Decanter-Sediment-Strainer/product-reviews/B002Q4TSPQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

bhodilee

kaycie02 wrote:A lot of people on Amazon say it is thin and breaks too easily. Looks cool if you are just displaying it though I guess.

http://www.amazon.com/Metrokane-Houdini-Decanter-Sediment-Strainer/product-reviews/B002Q4TSPQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I dropped a piece of glass on the floor and it broke, obviously that's not my fault.

bsevern

ThunderThighs wrote:We checked and there's no warranty on this. I guess because there's no moving parts. I'm sure they'll be helpful if you have issues.

Also, made in China.

Only curious on the warranty due to all the comments about cracking/breakage on amazon. Someone literally watched it crack apart before there eyes during a tasting party when no one had touched it. If it's that prone to cracking, it would seem that a warranty would be worthwhile.

Being manufactured in China doesn't exactly instill additional confidence after reading the Amazon reviews.....hmmm.

bhodilee

bsevern wrote:Only curious on the warranty due to all the comments about cracking/breakage on amazon. Someone literally watched it crack apart before there eyes during a tasting party when no one had touched it. If it's that prone to cracking, it would seem that a warranty would be worthwhile.

Being manufactured in China doesn't exactly instill additional confidence after reading the Amazon reviews.....hmmm.

too much lead, not enough crystal?

bsevern

bhodilee wrote:too much lead, not enough crystal?

Lead would actually make it softer, not more prone to breakage. Lead was added to crystal for more brilliance, and it was easier for cutting/engraving. For the most part, nobody uses lead in glass anymore, but then again....the Chinese have been accused of using lead in everything.... so who knows?

usclawyer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages usclawyer

I absolutely thought that this was a bong for sale when I first saw it. I knew things were getting pretty progressive on drug issues, but a respectable (ahem) retailer like Woot selling bongs just had me topsy-turvy for a bit.

bhodilee

usclawyer wrote:I absolutely thought that this was a bong for sale when I first saw it. I knew things were getting pretty progressive on drug issues, but a respectable (ahem) retailer like Woot selling bongs just had me topsy-turvy for a bit.

or maybe you just went to USC ;)

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen

If Amanda Bynes drops a bong out a window and nobody hears it hit the ground, does it make a noise?

mrsjhaye

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mrsjhaye
chipgreen wrote:If Amanda Bynes drops a bong out a window and nobody hears it hit the ground, does it make a noise?

Quality post if I ever saw one

gdavis314

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gdavis314

This is crap! The glass is so thin (less than 1mm at the bottom) that it as I was washing it before first use.