Scott Harvey Amador County Syrah 5-Pack
$74.99 $̶1̶2̶7̶.̶0̶0̶ 41% off List Price
2011 Scott Harvey Syrah Mountain Selection, Amador County
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

Of course I'm going to get this, why would you even ask or assume otherwise?

SH Syrah and Barbera; autobuy.
Well, there are others too. This sounds like a good one, and I don't recall any disappointing in the past.

Can't even imaging why the CT review would open this baby, especially with the added PS.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman

Dang...at $18-ish/bottle delivered I could give one to merbill and keep 4. Hmmm....I would also be happy to split with others. This is one I'd like to try, of course. So yeah...SoCal folks who want to split, let me know. I'll check back in the morning.

Scott...looks like you had to search far and wide to get your neighbour's PS Well done!

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

silent7seven

quality posts: 12 Private Messages silent7seven

Oooh Idaho is lit up! Finally getting on the SH train.

Last wooter to woot: silent7seven

---------------------------
And so we go, on with our lives
We know the truth, but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss
Why go against tradition when we can
Admit defeat, live in decline

gephross100

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gephross100

This specific wine opened up the world of reds for me.

If you can do it without feeling guilty go in for 3 and have your wife create an account and go in for 3.

Thanks Woot for this great sale offering and Scott for making this delicious Syrah.

c u

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
MarkDaSpark wrote:So far, so good. I've only bought wine twice this month (3rd & 10th). Fingers crossed that WD doesn't put up Corison, Caton, SH, etc. up between now and Thursday!

Darn you WD! Darn you to Heck!

In for a set.

Edit: I suppose I should have read Klez's post before ordering. But then again, now I don't have to share with him.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 18 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
rjquillin wrote:

Can't even imaging why the CT review would open this baby, especially with the added PS.

So how long do you think this needs to lay down? Interested in trying this, but long term storage is an issue I have yet to resolve.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
pseudogourmet98 wrote:So how long do you think this needs to lay down? Interested in trying this, but long term storage is an issue I have yet to resolve.

I would actually be very interested in Scott's thoughts on this. They very well be in the vinters voicemail, but I am at work and my headset needs charged, so I can't listen to it yet.

I think the Petit Sirah is new for this wine, or at least in that quantity. With that said, Scott generally doesn't release his wines before they are drinkable (this might be a pre-release offering though?), but I would think this one may require a decent decant right now.

(EDIT: VV does note that this is the first time he has added PS to the Syrah. Also this is available on his website, so not a prelease).

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

The rest of the numbers on this look good. I am a little surprised that the alcohol is 14.5% (EDIT: after listening to the VV, 14.5% is very normal for Scott's wine), that seems high for Scott's wines, but maybe my memory is just bad?

I am actually really looking forward to this one based on the numbers and the varietal composition. Add in that Scott is the winemaker and you can't really go wrong here.

My CT

schaeferr

quality posts: 7 Private Messages schaeferr

All right, everyone's effusive comments have won me over...

Plus, I love SH, my wife loves Syrah, and I have a deep, abiding passion for PS. This is going to be $80 well spent.

kylecountryman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kylecountryman

This really looks like a great deal. Scott has this for $22/bottle on his site right now.

http://winestore.scottharveywines.com/2011-mountain-selection-syrah-p167.aspx

It does say it can be enjoyed now through 2021. Here's the description from his site:

Varietal mouth filling creamy texture with big red berry and cherry fruit. Aromas of blackberry, cedar, blueberry and sweet light oak introduce fresh, bright, spicy flavors of the same, laced with firm tannins that carry through the long finish. Enjoy now through 2021

teebodo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages teebodo

Hopefully Scott will make an appearance today, and if so: how does this new release compare to the 2006? Just so happens that we opened a bottle two nights ago and it was lovely immediately out of the bottle; even better last night with potato leek soup on a chilly SF night. Same blend of grapes, etc? Thanks!

North316

teebodo wrote:Hopefully Scott will make an appearance today, and if so: how does this new release compare to the 2006? Just so happens that we opened a bottle two nights ago and it was lovely immediately out of the bottle; even better last night with potato leek soup on a chilly SF night. Same blend of grapes, etc? Thanks!

2006 Syrah Mountain Selection:

•100% grown in mountainous Syrah Vineyards of Amador County
•Blend: 94% Syrah, 6% Mixed Ports
•Cases Produced: 1,780 cases of 12/750ml
•Alcohol: 14.5%
•pH: 3.65
•Total Acid: .57
•RS <.5% dry

This 2011 is 86% syrah and 14% Petit Sirah, so no, not the same blend. Alcohol is the same, pH is basically the same and the 2006 had slightly more RS (because of the Port) but both are still dry.

My CT

webdev511

quality posts: 38 Private Messages webdev511

I have no room in my cellar, so of course I'm in for one.

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:2006 Syrah Mountain Selection:

•100% grown in mountainous Syrah Vineyards of Amador County
•Blend: 94% Syrah, 6% Mixed Ports
•Cases Produced: 1,780 cases of 12/750ml
•Alcohol: 14.5%
•pH: 3.65
•Total Acid: .57
•RS <.5% dry

This 2011 is 86% syrah and 14% Petit Sirah, so no, not the same blend. Alcohol is the same, pH is basically the same and the 2006 had slightly more RS (because of the Port) but both are still dry.

Winemaker’s Notes:
Produced in a drinkable fruit forward and rich style. Aged 18 months in French oak cooperage to develop a well rounded wine with firmly structured tannins for delicious drink ability.

Appellation: Amador County
Vineyard Sources: 86% grown in the mountainous York Syrah Vineyard of Fiddletown, Amador County. This vineyard is a steep rocky volcanic southwest facing slope. 14% Napa Valley Old Vine Petite Sirah from the David Fulton Vineyard located in St. Helena.
Blend: 86% Syrah, 14% Petite Sirah
Alcohol: 14.5%
pH: 3.55
RS: <.2% Dry
Cooperage: 18 months in French Oak
Release Date: June 2013
Cases Produced: 926 @ 12/750ml

Ah, but the pH makes a difference! IIRC, Scott has mentioned that pH less than 3.6 is more Old World style and food friendly. Whereas pH greater than 3.7 is more New World and is better without food.

The 2006 you mentioned was 3.65 pH, so I was going to ask about it (since it's right in the middle), but this one is listed at 3.55 pH, so it's more Old World and food friendly.

Or did I reverse those two, Scott?

I haven't noticed any high alcohol on Scott's wines, like I have on others. Mostly because I've found Scott's wines to be well balanced.

Also, don't let the PS throw you here. PS has been used for blending in years past to add oomph to wines, and it's only been probably the last 10 to 15 years that it's gaining cult status.

So there shouldn't be a great need to decant this due to the PS. I might open it 10 to 15 minutes prior, but since patience is a virtue, it'll be a pop 'n pour!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

glassglass

quality posts: 1 Private Messages glassglass

Well welcome to NH, Scott! I have wanted to get your wines since I first started on wine woot. Almost everyone has nothing but wonderful things to say about how your wines are so good. And now you are finally in New England. Thanks for taking out the license!

MarkDaSpark

webdev511 wrote:I have no room in my cellar, so of course I'm in for one.

Room? What is this Room you speak of?

mstern20878

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mstern20878
glassglass wrote:Well welcome to NH, Scott! I have wanted to get your wines since I first started on wine woot. Almost everyone has nothing but wonderful things to say about how your wines are so good. And now you are finally in New England. Thanks for taking out the license!

Still no Maryland.

teebodo

North316 wrote:The rest of the numbers on this look good. I am a little surprised that the alcohol is 14.5%

The 2006 is also 14.5%.

EDIT: nevermind... just saw your notes, and thanks for researching!

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160

Anyone in the Twin Cities area want to split this?

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:Edit: I suppose I should have read Klez's post before ordering. But then again, now I don't have to share with him.

Well, I could just take two from you and call that good. Or I go with my original plan. Or somebody else PM's or emails me to split. Looks like we're not in sellout danger just yet, so there's some time.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Well, I could just take two from you and call that good. Or I go with my original plan. Or somebody else PM's or emails me to split. Looks like we're not in sellout danger just yet, so there's some time.

I suppose I could sell you two.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
pseudogourmet98 wrote:So how long do you think this needs to lay down? Interested in trying this, but long term storage is an issue I have yet to resolve.

Always great to be back on Woot. Hi, everyone!
I would lay this down for 6 months before opening it. It is a full bodied Syrah made in the old world style. It was bottled the 9th of May and still a little closed. It should be a 12 year wine with its best drinking window from 2015 to 2020.

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:Room? What is this Room you speak of?

Likely yours, the one you walk into, that huge, cold, nearly full one you walk into.

CT

ScottHarveyWines

North316 wrote:I would actually be very interested in Scott's thoughts on this. They very well be in the vinters voicemail, but I am at work and my headset needs charged, so I can't listen to it yet.

I think the Petit Sirah is new for this wine, or at least in that quantity. With that said, Scott generally doesn't release his wines before they are drinkable (this might be a pre-release offering though?), but I would think this one may require a decent decant right now.

(EDIT: VV does note that this is the first time he has added PS to the Syrah. Also this is available on his website, so not a prelease).

I recently opened a bottle for my visiting family. And I did decant it to give it a little air which brought it around more quickly.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

This is really tempting. I can't, though. I hope to see this in a month or two during a woot off. As always, thanks for being part of our community, Scott!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ScottHarveyWines

teebodo wrote:Hopefully Scott will make an appearance today, and if so: how does this new release compare to the 2006? Just so happens that we opened a bottle two nights ago and it was lovely immediately out of the bottle; even better last night with potato leek soup on a chilly SF night. Same blend of grapes, etc? Thanks!

The 2006 is a little softer and rounder having more bottle age. The 2011 vintage is a earthier with the Petite Sirah and a lot younger. Not as ripe as the 2006 with 2011 being a colder vintage.

fireflycafe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fireflycafe

I was wondering if anyone is in/around the Berkeley Area that is welling to let me take 2 from them Thank you!

edoursler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages edoursler

Thank you Scott Harvey😄 In for one.

Please suggest some dishes to serve this with in 2015?

ScottHarveyWines

glassglass wrote:Well welcome to NH, Scott! I have wanted to get your wines since I first started on wine woot. Almost everyone has nothing but wonderful things to say about how your wines are so good. And now you are finally in New England. Thanks for taking out the license!

We have so much fun selling wine on Woot that we have made a conscience decision to try and register in as many states as possible.

teebodo

Thanks, Scott. What with me being the PS fan and my wife the SH Syrah fan + our anniversary in two weeks = autobuy!

Last Wooter to Woot:
teebodo
Last Purchase:
just now

ScottHarveyWines

edoursler wrote:Thank you Scott Harvey😄 In for one.

Please suggest some dishes to serve this with in 2015?

Last night I served it with a three day marinated home grown Tri tip. I buy my beef on the hoof from a kid I went to high school with. The marinate was olive oil, soy sauce, sugar, salt and pepper, garlic, dried onions, red peppers and marjoram. The sweetness of the grilled tri tip went well with the richness added by the Petite Sirah.

winedrew

quality posts: 6 Private Messages winedrew
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Last night I served it with a three day marinated home grown Tri tip. I buy my beef on the hoof from a kid I went to high school with. The marinate was olive oil, soy sauce, sugar, salt and pepper, garlic, dried onions, red peppers and marjoram. The sweetness of the grilled tri tip went well with the richness added by the Petite Sirah.

Thanks for the invite!

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

HI Scott,

When are you getting a permit for CT?

This Woot-legging is killing me....

Is it broke or just fractured?

ScottHarveyWines

rlmanzo wrote:HI Scott,

When are you getting a permit for CT?

This Woot-legging is killing me....

We are working on CT. It is difficult and expensive.

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo
ScottHarveyWines wrote:We are working on CT. It is difficult and expensive.

Like most things in CT.

I often ask myself why I live here....

Is it broke or just fractured?

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03

Have only bought one time since the change to all day shipping... Love me some SH wines though. I think this is going to end the long dry spell... and my cellar was actually starting to have room. Perfect thing to fill it with though.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
rlmanzo wrote:Like most things in CT.

I often ask myself why I live here....

Could it be to pay the highest gas taxes and have the second worst roads in the country?

On days when I can't buy a great wine, I ask that myself. Along with "To wootleg or not to wootleg?"

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:Could it be to pay the highest gas taxes and have the second worst roads in the country?

On days when I can't buy a great wine, I ask that myself. Along with "To wootleg or not to wootleg?"

Ahem! California has .69 per gal., whilst Connecticut is .644 per gal., so not the highest!

And NY is at .696!

And your highest gas was $4.81 per gal, followed by $4.35 and $4.34 per gallon. California has 3 stations at $5.09, followed by a slew at $4.99 per gallon.

Although to be honest, all our lower prices listed were below any of your lower prices list.