WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you ever bring your own wine to a restaurant?
  • 6.2% - Yes, regularly 114
  • 17% - Yes, but rarely 312
  • 14.4% - No, except maybe once or twice 265
  • 62.3% - No, never 1143
1834 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Only if I really dislike their sommelier.

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

Do you ever bring your own wine to a restaurant?

No wine, I get the Cold beer there.. Yes sir....

FrostByte

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FrostByte

The only time we did was when visiting friends in Philly. I guess the restaurant couldn't sell, but they could pour?

Charter Member (0002314) - Friend of the Official Crappraiser Get your Official Crappraisal today.

woot 56 wine 5 shirt 35 sellout 12 kids 27 hh 2 moofi 3 home 7 sport 6
electronics 3 pop 4 tools 2 a&w 4 computers 0 total 166

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Yes. Many of the family type Italian restaurants in Pittsburgh allow this. Often better to pay a corkage fee and have good wine that you know you like than pay excessive prices for what may be a mediocre wine offered on the wine list.

jackw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackw

Nice little Italian place around the corner from me here in Richardson, Texas can't sell wine, but if I bring it in they are allowed to pour it.

I live the way I type, FAST, with a lot of mistakes.

gwpriester

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gwpriester

I did in California where they have a corkage, usually the price of the cheapest bottle of wine on the menu. It is a great way to enjoy a really good bottle of wine without paying the high markup restaurants charge.

But in New Mexico, the distributors are powerful and you cannot bring your own wine into a restaurant. It is against the law! What should be against the law is the obscene markup New Mexico restaurants add to the price of a bottle.

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen
mdkopper wrote:Do you ever bring your own wine to a restaurant?

No wine, I get the Cold beer there.. Yes sir....

What if they don't serve Coors?

stm027

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stm027

Only when they don't have a liquor license!

I put chemicals in your food... seriously

mdkopper

chipgreen wrote:What if they don't serve Coors?

No Coors! Go elseware..

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
FrostByte wrote:The only time we did was when visiting friends in Philly. I guess the restaurant couldn't sell, but they could pour?

Philly is well known for its great array of byo restaurants. I don't know what governs who gets a license and who doesn't, but we've enjoyed some very fine meals at byo places.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Yeah, getting a liquor license in Chicago is quite the ordeal, so it's not that rare to bring my own beer or wine to good little byob restos.

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122

Doing so tonight! Possibly the '09 Keating Napa Cab or '02/'05 Corison Cabs.

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
random122 wrote:Doing so tonight! Possibly the '09 Keating Napa Cab or '02/'05 Corison Cabs.

Nice! Anywhere fun?

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122
trifecta wrote:Nice! Anywhere fun?

HOPR! Should be a good time.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Yeah.

I brought a box of Merlot to the local Burger King.

It improved their cuisine tremendously.

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk

Where's the option for: "I would, but it's illegal in my state"?

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

This topic seems to come up about 3 or 4 times a year. In our house, we regularly bring wine out to restaurants (probably to ~30% of meals out to 'nice' restaurants), though we will (1) bring a decent bottle (i.e. not a cheap bottle), (2) always check with the restaurant first to make sure the wine we're bringing isn't on their wine list (in almost all cases we'll have been to the restaurant before and been able to look at their wine list before deciding to bring our own at a subsequent visit), and (3) we generally offer a glass to the restaurant staff as well.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

My wife doesn't like it when I do (restaurants that serve), but yes, all the time.

gostarkygo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gostarkygo
tdedek wrote:My wife doesn't like it when I do (restaurants that serve), but yes, all the time.

Would you mind sharing(if you know) why your wife does not like it.

I live in California and I take my own wine almost exclusively(and happily pay the corkage fee). I have done this with family and friends and I have never thought it was a negative thing, nor has anyone ever expressed a negative feeling about it.

aethera21

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aethera21

When I'm back in NJ, I often bring wine. The state, and especially the town I grew up in, are stingy with the liquor licenses, so a ton of places are BYO.

In VA, where I live now, everyone has a liquor license. Even fast casual places do. So there's never a need or ability to do so.

alexasnows

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alexasnows

Only if it is a byob, which is great because restaurants hike up wine prices astronomically.

spirit9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spirit9
curtisuxor wrote:Only if I really dislike their sommelier.

Klinger?

ivyleeg23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ivyleeg23

C'mon Woot! I pop in here to look for peanuts and things now and then. Sometimes I answer a poll just to see the results.
DO YOU EVER LOOK AT THE RESULTS?
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that wine drinkers don't answer online surveys. AND survey takers don't drink wine... I assume you sell cases of cases to a silent woot community... And that my idea of changing this one to PET.woot is not a quality post.
Boooo wine.woot!

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
gostarkygo wrote:Would you mind sharing(if you know) why your wife does not like it.

I live in California and I take my own wine almost exclusively(and happily pay the corkage fee). I have done this with family and friends and I have never thought it was a negative thing, nor has anyone ever expressed a negative feeling about it.

She rolls her eyes at what she considers my wine geekiness. One of those things she ribs me about, all in good fun, occasionally annoyed when I focus more on what I'm bringing than what's going on around me before we leave.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
tdedek wrote:She rolls her eyes at what she considers my wine geekiness. One of those things she ribs me about, all in good fun, occasionally annoyed when I focus more on what I'm bringing than what's going on around me before we leave.

It seems we share very similar company in this matter. Mine however goes the extra step to comment it's only my friends, not her, that benefit from my addiction. Hey, I get her all the $6 and under Moscato she can drink from Costco, World Market and TJ's!

CT

acedude4

quality posts: 5 Private Messages acedude4

I work at a nice steak and seafood place. We used to allow people to bring their own bottles but then realized that was illegal with our liquor license. As a server it kinda sucks because the corkage goes to the house and we loose a tip from your purchasing bottle through us. However not all places keep the corkage fee. As a diner BYO is great. Save some money and get a better product

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
acedude4 wrote:I work at a nice steak and seafood place. We used to allow people to bring their own bottles but then realized that was illegal with our liquor license. As a server it kinda sucks because the corkage goes to the house and we loose a tip from your purchasing bottle through us....

Not necessarily. Some of us, although I doubt many, are sensitive enough to this issue to include a reasonable amount for the cost of the wine in calculating the tip.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
ddeuddeg wrote:Not necessarily. Some of us, although I doubt many, are sensitive enough to this issue to include a reasonable amount for the cost of the wine in calculating the tip.

J'agree.

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
acedude4 wrote:As a server it kinda sucks because the corkage goes to the house and we loose a tip from your purchasing bottle through us. However not all places keep the corkage fee. As a diner BYO is great. Save some money and get a better product

To some extent this is understandable, and in general I sympathize with wait-staff and always try to tip well, but I have always wondered why a waiter deserves a larger tip for opening, say, a $500 bottle than a $100 bottle. In my mind there should be some kind of per-bottle limit on the tip related to buying bottles off wine-lists.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
jawlz wrote:To some extent this is understandable, and in general I sympathize with wait-staff and always try to tip well, but I have always wondered why a waiter deserves a larger tip for opening, say, a $500 bottle than a $100 bottle. In my mind there should be some kind of per-bottle limit on the tip related to buying bottles off wine-lists.

I had a similar thought when posting my earlier comment about tipping. Of course, you're always free to calculate the tip on whatever basis you choose, unless you're stuck in one of those situations where the establishment adds a "service charge" for groups of 6-8 or more, in which case it's probably a good idea to avoid buying a bottle that expensive.
Which reminds me, in France, by law a 15% service charge is calculated into the price shown on the menu, so there's not much need to tip, unless the service is in some way extraordinary. Sure would be nice if we could do that here, instead of paying servers a sub-minimum wage, forcing them to depend on tips.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen
acedude4 wrote:I work at a nice steak and seafood place. We used to allow people to bring their own bottles but then realized that was illegal with our liquor license. As a server it kinda sucks because the corkage goes to the house and we loose a tip from your purchasing bottle through us. However not all places keep the corkage fee. As a diner BYO is great. Save some money and get a better product

The corkage fee may go to the house but as long as it shows up on the bill, the server is getting tipped extra based upon the amount of said corkage fee, i.e. a $20 corkage fee should result in an extra $3-$4 added to the tip.

kcvorb121

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcvorb121
InFrom wrote:Philly is well known for its great array of byo restaurants. I don't know what governs who gets a license and who doesn't, but we've enjoyed some very fine meals at byo places.

Yep, there are a ton of BYOB restaurants all over Pennsylvania, so we do that a lot

jjfahey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jjfahey
kcvorb121 wrote:Yep, there are a ton of BYOB restaurants all over Pennsylvania, so we do that a lot

Yep, BYO is the way to go! Sadly, I no longer live in Philly but get to visit once in a while!

mdkopper

ivyleeg23 wrote:C'mon Woot! I pop in here to look for peanuts and things now and then. Sometimes I answer a poll just to see the results.
DO YOU EVER LOOK AT THE RESULTS?
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that wine drinkers don't answer online surveys. AND survey takers don't drink wine... I assume you sell cases of cases to a silent woot community... And that my idea of changing this one to PET.woot is not a quality post.
Boooo wine.woot!

I'LL Drink to That! (Coors of course)

inod3

quality posts: 6 Private Messages inod3

McDonald's doesn't sell alcohol, so I have to.