Thomas Alexander Paso Robles Rhone Blend 3-Pack
$75.99 $̶1̶3̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 45% off List Price
2010 Le Tigre Rhone Blend, Paso Robles
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

I'm pretty sure Kyle has to buy this. Tytyger, you too!

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
cortot20 wrote:I'm pretty sure Kyle has to buy this. Tytyger, you too!

I don't mind helping to put WD's kids thru college...but why should I buy this one?

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

jimjacks66

quality posts: 31 Private Messages jimjacks66

Based on CT, it appears our Wooter Trifecta may have had this on 7/21/2013. Will a review be forthcoming here on wine.woot?

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Ohhhh this! This is good stuff!

Trifecta brought this to impromptu NorCal GT# 19.5 last Sunday...brown bag blind tasting style

Here's my notes from the blind tasting:

Color - Very dark purple.

Nose - All spice, blueberries, stewed plums.

Palate - Dark fruit, Plums, tart cherry, fine tannins, puckering dry.

I guessed this was a Syrah before the reveal. This is a very good, BIG wine that would benefit from additional cellaring (several years). I guessed this would be a great QPR at ~ $20/bottle. It's close. The label may not be all that (sorry winery), but the juice is a seriously good, give it a few more years and it has the potential to be a spectacular wine.

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
jimjacks66 wrote:Based on CT, it appears our Wooter Trifecta may have had this on 7/21/2013. Will a review be forthcoming here on wine.woot?

It's pretty much all there on CT. I really enjoyed this wine. Only will get better with time. Very well made. Not hot or stewed like one would expect from a paso gsm. Buy.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

I also had the chance to blind taste this, thanks to trifecta. Here are my notes;

Color:
Ruby red color with some violet near the rim.

Nose:
The nose wasn't initially very aromatic, but what little was coming through was nice. Plum, black cherry, nutmeg or clove with some nice sweet oak aromas.

Palate:
A decent amount of acidity on the entry with a nice medium bodied palate of plum and cocoa. Peppery finish. A moderate amount of tannin makes me think this is an 06-08 vintage.

$25-$35, GSM from Paso

I did pretty well at guessing the price, varietals and terroir. I'm very surprised by the specs though! pH of 4.05 and 15% alcohol, I didn't notice ANY excessive heat or flabbiness during the tasting. Then again, 15% is the norm for Paso.

This is a solid wine and for the right price. It disappeared very quickly at the tasting, thoroughly enjoyed by all

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
tytiger58 wrote:I don't mind helping to put WD's kids thru college...but why should I buy this one?

Pretty sure "Le Tigre" has something to do with it.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

I was fortunate enough to receive this last week. We let it sit for 5 days just in case.
Opened the bottle and let sit for 1/2 hour then did a small taste and sniff. Earth tones and smell/taste kinda like a Rhone. But it was VERY closed at that. Fine, let it sit another 1/2 hour and then used the Venturi. Opened up some more, now faint hint of dark cherry but mainly earth tones (not oak), with a full mouth feel. 4 hours later again another taste, oh my, this is nice juice. Full mouth feel, slight pepper, cherry with good tannins. Nose was fantastic with mineral/ earth.
Next night, tried it again, milder lost a bit of the flavor, but still full mouth feel.
This is NOT a pop n pour! This like any beauty,needs time, either in the bottle or decant.
Now I can not wait until garagiste weekend and taste tom's other wines.
My recommendation is buy if your like a Rhone type with earth tones and full mouth feel. If you like sweet,fruit bombs,this is not for you.
I'm in for a set.

Speed to first woot: 9m 29.449s
First sucker:hhellsund
Last wooter to woot:ERMD
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

tenoreprimo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tenoreprimo

I believe it is the highest pH I have seen on wine.woot and with the 15.0% alcohol it is hard to imagine it being a good food wine. Also some outstanding Rhones are available at a lower cost. An easy pass for me.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Pretty sure "Le Tigre" has something to do with it.

Woosh well that flew over my head

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

trifecta

tenoreprimo wrote:I believe it is the highest pH I have seen on wine.woot and with the 15.0% alcohol it is hard to imagine it being a good food wine. Also some outstanding Rhones are available at a lower cost. An easy pass for me.

The only number I knew at the time of tasting was 15% abv. I am completed surprised by the pH number. I wrote down medium acid. This is one of the times I think "by the numbers" is misleading. This takes a lot of time to open up and based on the bottle we tried, could go at least five years and improve greatly with age. Also, I think it is actually quite a nice food wine.

Hoping Tom can weigh in on this.

thomasalexanderwinerywinemakertom

quality posts: 10 Private Messages thomasalexanderwinerywinemakertom

This is winemaker Tom for Thomas Alexander Winery and it looks like there are some questions about pH and wine.
There is some truth, especially with respect to other grape growing areas in Northern California that a higher pH could mean that the grape was left on the vine too long resulting in a loss of acid in the grape as it over matured and therefore a higher pH. It also meant there might be a degree of dessication, or raisining of the grape which meant a concentration of sugars resulting in a higher alcohol. The ultimate wine then could have been a flabby, hot (meaning the ethanol oxidized to an intermediate acetaldehyde)and probably high VA wine.
However, Paso Robles is a unique growing region, mainly it has a warmer growing season and calcareous subsoils. This translates to grapes that naturally mature in terms of sugar very easily, before total physiological ripeness has occurred, and higher pH in the grape respectively.
The resulting wine does have relatively higher alcohol, but not as a result of dessication, and it does have a higher pH.
For me I love the mouthfeel of pH 4 wine. Many winemakers who lack confidence in there skills will adjust the must to 3.6 with Tartaric Acid. A 3.6 must allows for more free SO2 (greater mitigation of spoilage organisms and oxidation)as well as creating a more favorable environment for yeast instead of spoilage bacteria.
Because of the high pH, this wine exhibits a great mouthfeel, as well as the darker blue fruit that is hard to achieve in other wine. The structure is held up with good tannin and, most importantly, the TA (titratable acidity) of 6.75 g/L. This is the perceivable acid and carries the palate through to the end. After all that, it pairs well with food.
Whew!

bsevern wrote:Ohhhh this! This is good stuff!

Trifecta brought this to impromptu NorCal GT# 19.5 last Sunday...brown bag blind tasting style

Here's my notes from the blind tasting:

Color - Very dark purple.

Nose - All spice, blueberries, stewed plums.

Palate - Dark fruit, Plums, tart cherry, fine tannins, puckering dry.

I guessed this was a Syrah before the reveal. This is a very good, BIG wine that would benefit from additional cellaring (several years). I guessed this would be a great QPR at ~ $20/bottle. It's close. The label may not be all that (sorry winery), but the juice is a seriously good, give it a few more years and it has the potential to be a spectacular wine.

Oh,
Just wanted to say thanks for the kind words.
The wine is definitely bone dry. 0.17 g/L is a representation of nonfermentable pentoses. A wine is considered dry at 2.0 g/L and the dryness of this wine does translate to the palate.

ERMD wrote:I was fortunate enough to receive this last week. We let it sit for 5 days just in case.
Opened the bottle and let sit for 1/2 hour then did a small taste and sniff. Earth tones and smell/taste kinda like a Rhone. But it was VERY closed at that. Fine, let it sit another 1/2 hour and then used the Venturi. Opened up some more, now faint hint of dark cherry but mainly earth tones (not oak), with a full mouth feel. 4 hours later again another taste, oh my, this is nice juice. Full mouth feel, slight pepper, cherry with good tannins. Nose was fantastic with mineral/ earth.
Next night, tried it again, milder lost a bit of the flavor, but still full mouth feel.
This is NOT a pop n pour! This like any beauty,needs time, either in the bottle or decant.
Now I can not wait until garagiste weekend and taste tom's other wines.
My recommendation is buy if your like a Rhone type with earth tones and full mouth feel. If you like sweet,fruit bombs,this is not for you.
I'm in for a set.

Speed to first woot: 9m 29.449s
First sucker:hhellsund
Last wooter to woot:ERMD
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

ERMD,
Thank you too for the great critique.
I am definitely looking forward to showing you my other wines at the Garagiste Festival in the Fall.

trifecta

x-posted from CT for those that don't want to have to link.

2010 Thomas Alexander Le Tigre
Opened and decanted for 30 minutes before going back into bottle and over to a friends place. Wine spent another 1.5 hours in the bottle prior to tasting. 71% Syrah and 29% Grenache.

Nose of cherry, baking spice, and a touch of plum. On the palate there is medium acid with quite a bit of tannin grip. Full mouthfeel with notes of cherry, plum leaning towards the sour/tart (not bad sour) side. Finish is medium plus with young tannins and a hint of white pepper. As the wine opens up in the glass the complexity is improving. Starting to pick up secondary red fruits, baking spice. The finish is one of the best notes on this wine. Long and lingering with sweet tannins and just a bit of white pepper. Really enjoyed this wine.

Overall impression is that this wine is very well made. Good structure, good fruit, nice aromatics. It is still very young, but drinkable now with a long decant. I fully expect this wine to improve greatly with another couple years as the really nice tannins resolve to provide an even longer finish.

I presented this bottle blind to a group of friends and all enjoyed it. Most could pick out that this was Syrah or a Rhone blend. Only one thought Paso, while the others guessed Napa/Sonoma.

trifecta wrote:It's pretty much all there on CT. I really enjoyed this wine. Only will get better with time. Very well made. Not hot or stewed like one would expect from a paso gsm. Buy.

And I'm going for the Trifecta.
I really appreciate your review on CT,as well as sharing the wine with your friends.
Thanks

trifecta

thomasalexanderwinerywinemakertom wrote:And I'm going for the Trifecta.
I really appreciate your review on CT,as well as sharing the wine with your friends.
Thanks

No problem. I'll have to give you a call if I'm headed to Paso soon. Would like to try out your whole lineup. How should we contact you for something like that? Through the website?

trifecta wrote:No problem. I'll have to give you a call if I'm headed to Paso soon. Would like to try out your whole lineup. How should we contact you for something like that? Through the website?

I would love to show the whole lineup. Contact me any time. I have email links on my website as well as a contact phone number.
To save some clicks, the email is; tom@thomasalexanderwinery.com

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Thanks for stopping by Tom! I met Tom and tasted his wines at the first Garagiste festival in Paso and have been a fan ever since.

Solid stuff with all the qualities that I like- micro-produced (under 1,000 cases I believe) + great fruit sources + meticulous winemaking + good french oak = killer wines.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

So it is officially after noon and that means I get to open the good stuff. Mostly for inspiration, but it can help with lunch as well. I'm thinking the local tri-tip sandwich today to compliment the wine.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

thomasalexanderwinerywinemakertom wrote:So it is officially after noon and that means I get to open the good stuff. Mostly for inspiration, but it can help with lunch as well. I'm thinking the local tri-tip sandwich today to compliment the wine.

Opening wine during the day? I would never... wait, strike that.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

So it has been about three hours since I first opened the wine and it has definitely changed. The nose has receded a bit and the tannins/mid-palate are showing more now. I think it needs another 3 hours to really show itself.
Having a very low VA helps tremendously with the longevity of this wine.

emccarl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl

I recently came across a bottle of the Thomas Alexander Paso Rhone Blend 2010 Le Tigre, and I must honestly admit that I did not like this wine.

I was anticipating drinking this with food. Since this wine is made up of 2 parts (Syrah and Grenache) of a GSM, we chose Beef Stroganoff with Garlic Bread and Summer Salad.

I opened up the bottle and poured 2 glasses, and let them sit for 30 minutes. Upon opening I swirled and sniffed the wine, and I picked up a lot of heat from the alcohol, and a slight smell of grape jelly. After waiting the 30 minutes I swirled and sniffed again, and barely caught anything. I was thinking that even though this wine is a 2010 vintage, it still is very young.

My wife and I took a sip. To my surprise, she really liked the wine, but to me it was very dry and lacked both complexity and finish. I now read from the winemaker that this is a very dry wine. I agree it's dry, too dry. I felt like puckering up at each sip. Also it seemed, for lack of a better description, 2-dimensional. The complexity I'm used to in a good GSM (Kaleidos 2006 Morpheus or Osiris) was completely lacking. Perhaps the missing Mourvedre makes a big difference?

I tried this wine over the next 2 days with and without different foods, and still didn't like it. I decided that I would buy this for my wife if it were in the $13 - $15 dollar range, but as a Black Tie offering, it's a definite pass.

I'm certain others will enjoy this, as evidenced by the comments. But at approximately $26 a bottle, coupled with my impression that it is too young and way to dry, I can't recommend.

jrstepp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrstepp

I've tried (and tried again and again) most of his wines from 2009 and they are amazing. Excellent QPR and would easily stand up against wines from CdP that cost 3-4x as much. As his reputation grows I expect it will become increasingly difficult to find his wines at anywhere close to this price, if at all, given his low production numbers. Dont miss out.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

emccarl: PM for you.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

emccarl

kylemittskus wrote:emccarl: PM for you.

PM Back to you.

cdcappello

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdcappello

Le Tigre is one of my favorite bottles to bring over to a friend's house for dinner. Not only is it versatile enough for most meals, but accessible to any red lover's palate. Your friends will wish you brought a second.

xrscunningham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xrscunningham

Samantha was just complaining to me that we had already consumed all of our Thomas Alexander wines and bbq season has only just begun. Looking forward to diving into this wine along with a juicy lamb burger!

emccarl

jrstepp wrote:I've tried (and tried again and again) most of his wines from 2009 and they are amazing. Excellent QPR and would easily stand up against wines from CdP that cost 3-4x as much. As his reputation grows I expect it will become increasingly difficult to find his wines at anywhere close to this price, if at all, given his low production numbers. Dont miss out.

The 2009 blend of Le Tigre is:
50% SYRAH
25% GRENACHE
25% MOURVEDRE

This is VERY different than the 2010 blend of 71% Syrah, 29% Grenache. Also, I'd be interested in the RS and PH of the 2009.

I love good GSM blends, but the 2010 Le Tigre is not a GSM. Frankly I'd rather had tried the 2009 than the 2010, as the 2009 has gotten some nice reviews.

At a list of $139 for 3 bottles, and a woot discounted price of $75.99, or approx. $26 a bottle, the Quality better be VERY good in order to be an excellent QPR.

I just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

emccarl wrote:The 2009 blend of Le Tigre is:
50% SYRAH
25% GRENACHE
25% MOURVEDRE

This is VERY different than the 2010 blend of 71% Syrah, 29% Grenache. Also, I'd be interested in the RS and PH of the 2009.

I love good GSM blends, but the 2010 Le Tigre is not a GSM. Frankly I'd rather had tried the 2009 than the 2010, as the 2009 has gotten some nice reviews.

At a list of $139 for 3 bottles, and a woot discounted price of $75.99, or approx. $26 a bottle, the Quality better be VERY good in order to be an excellent QPR.

I just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

The 2010 wine does not have any Mourvedre because the quality of the grapes didn't ripen up enough due to the cooler growing season of 2010.
The numbers for the 2009 are as follows: Alc = 14.8%
TA = 6.09
VA = 0.53
pH = 4.00
RS = 0.55
So there is negligible more amount of sugar and the other numbers are also very proximate. In 2009, the addition of Mourvedre brought the Alcohol down under 15%. I still have some left, but not very much. It is just now starting to show itself optimally, and it still holds up very well for days after opening.
I'm sorry the wine was not for you and that is always part of the journey.

Wine update; after six hours the wine is evolving very nicely. The fruit is coming back in the nose, and the tannins are as present as ever.
That aspect that is coming forth now is the peppery spice. There is an earthiness now that shows that ERMD mentioned in his post.

bougiee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bougiee

Anyone have a sense of scale for typical wineries? IE how many cases for a mass producer like Coppola or Mondavi, or for your widely available but not mass produced wine like a St Suprey or Bear boat?

Curious to see what my chances are of running into some of these woot wines at a restaurant or local wine store. At 500 total cases imagine some of the boutique wines are harder to find on the East coast.

kylemittskus

bougiee wrote:Anyone have a sense of scale for typical wineries? IE how many cases for a mass producer like Coppola or Mondavi, or for your widely available but not mass produced wine like a St Suprey or Bear boat?

Curious to see what my chances are of running into some of these woot wines at a restaurant or local wine store. At 500 total cases imagine some of the boutique wines are harder to find on the East coast.

Huge production: 500,000 cases/year

Tiny production (examples of which we've seen here): as small as 50 cases

kylemittskus

Tom: thanks for the great participation! I'd like to see more of your wines in the future.