bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Somehow I was coerced into hosting PS night on Sept 7th at my place....something to do with home made Pedroncelli Port & Chocolate Chiffon Cupcakes or some nonsense

I have a new snazzy BBQ/smoker, so we can definitely BBQ, I might even smoke something...meat, cigars, who knows.

I'll fill in whatever doesn't make it from the woot tour Foppiano 95-98 verticle, and Trifecta is opening his cellar to share a three decade span of PETS:

1979 Concannon - Magnum Special Release
1993 Blockheadia Ringnosii
2000 Battaglini Estate Twin Pines

Did I mention there will be cigars? And rumor has it some party crashers for SoCal and SoSoCal will be joining in.

UPDATE: Event starts at 5 PM, barbecue will be going, if you want to eat bring food, if you want sides bring sides, I'm sure there will be plenty of food to share. If you have extra decanters please bring them.
See you Saturday!

Attending:

1. trifecta
2. trifecta +1
3. ajrod27
4. bsevern
5. bsevern +1
6. CAgrl
7. CAgrl +1
8. rjquillin
9. MarkDaSpark
10. random122
11. Tassadar2k03

Maybe:

klezman
klezman +1
cooldaddybeck
cooldaddybeck +1
tenuki

Regrets:
Nielfindswine
cmaldoon

Wine List:

1979 Concannon Magnum
1988 Parducci (Mendocino)
1993 Blockheadia Ringnosii Napa Valley Petite Sirah
1994 Blockheadia Ringnosii Napa Valley Petite Sirah
1994 Teldeschi
1995 Foppiano Petite Sirah Estate Bottled
1996 Foppiano Petite Sirah Estate Bottled
1997 Foppiano Petite Sirah Estate Bottled
1998 Foppiano Petite Sirah Estate Bottled
2000 Teldeschi
2000 Battaglini Estate Twin Pines
2004 Twisted Oak Petite Sirah Silvaspoons Vineyard
2006 Meeker (Sonoma)
2006 Trinitas (Lodi)
2006 True Grit (Mendocino)
2006 Lucas & Lewellyn (Santa Barbara)
2006 Ty Caton
2006 Switchback
2008 Ty Caton

UPDATE:

Halcón Vineyards is a go for Sunday, September 8th at noon at their Sunnyvale address listed on their website. Looking forward to trying this winery, they receive very high praise on the woot forums!

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

If I some time, I'm thinking of making the zucchini pickles from Pedroncelli. More incentive for people to join us.

bsevern

CAGrl wrote:If I some time, I'm thinking of making the zucchini pickles from Pedroncelli. More incentive for people to join us.

Those zucchini bread and butter pickles were awesome! Healthy too

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
bsevern wrote:Those zucchini bread and butter pickles were awesome! Healthy too

Stoked about this event. We need those SoCal folks to book their accommodations so we can lock it in!

I will probably be turning those bottles upright a week or so before the event. I don't have any experience opening bottles that are 30+ years old, but I am game for finding out.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I'm a maybe. (A hopefully)

If I make it ill bring a 1998 Stags Leap Ne Cede Malis (PS based blend)

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bsevern

cmaldoon wrote:I'm a maybe. (A hopefully)

If I make it ill bring a 1998 Stags Leap Ne Cede Malis (PS based blend)

Hope you're able to make it. If you do, we could use your decanters if you wouldn't mind

CAGrl

I have 2 decanters and some wine glasses that I could bring. I can bring a bottle of PS port for the cigar time.

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman

Right after Rosh Hashannah...we'll see if we can swing the drive. Would be nice to see y'all.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
trifecta wrote:I don't have any experience opening bottles that are 30+ years old, but I am game for finding out.

If you're insane - you are on these boards, aren't you? - you might consider this.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
trifecta wrote:Stoked about this event. We need those SoCal folks to book their accommodations so we can lock it in!

I will probably be turning those bottles upright a week or so before the event. I don't have any experience opening bottles that are 30+ years old, but I am game for finding out.

Aren't we all crashing at your place? Okay, what city do we need to find said accommodations in?

Basically, upright a week before. Have some decanters (I'll bring one) and some filter funnels (I'll bring 1 or 2 of those) in case of sediment (which is why you set them upright a week before!).

Also, you will need an Ah-So (I have one. Or two. ) to ease the older corks out since a regular corkscrew can destroy the cork. But then that's what the filter funnels can be used for.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

trifecta

MarkDaSpark wrote:Aren't we all crashing at your place? Okay, what city do we need to find said accommodations in?

Basically, upright a week before. Have some decanters (I'll bring one) and some filter funnels (I'll bring 1 or 2 of those) in case of sediment (which is why you set them upright a week before!).

Also, you will need an Ah-So (I have one. Or two. ) to ease the older corks out since a regular corkscrew can destroy the cork. But then that's what the filter funnels can be used for.

I have the trifecta. Filter funnel, upright, and Ah-so. Sunnyvale/Santa Clara is your target for accommodations.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

I really hope I'm in town for this!

I'll bring a 1997 Foppiano Petite Sirah Estate Bottled and for back-up, 2008 Clos LaChance Petite Sirah Estate.

Maybe some bacon-wrapped, cheese-stuffed jalapenos for the grill?

bsevern

klezman wrote:Right after Rosh Hashannah...we'll see if we can swing the drive. Would be nice to see y'all.

Would be great to see you guys!

bsevern

MarkDaSpark wrote:Aren't we all crashing at your place? Okay, what city do we need to find said accommodations in?

I have a guest room, but you and RJ would have to share the bed

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
bsevern wrote:I have a guest room, but you and RJ would have to share the bed

Don't need no bed! It's all Sparky's.
Others can attest I'm low maintenance and come prepared. Outside is is great, given some room and no rain.

CT

trifecta

During the BBQ at Clark Smith's house last weekend we spent some time urging Clark to attend this event. If he is able to attend he is willing to give us a short lesson regarding the varietal and how to distinguish age worthy PETs in their youth. Fingers crossed this will work out.

We should also start brainstorming some food pairings. I am trying to think back to awesomeness from DnD....

Another thing to consider is getting bottles over to bseverns in advance of the event, to let them stand up and settle out. Easy for me because I'm local, but maybe the SoCal folks coming for the wootception could deliver that weekend. This would prevent the shakeup from the crazy driving of one blue machine.

rjquillin

MdS, we'll still in on this, right?

CT

bsevern

trifecta wrote:
We should also start brainstorming some food pairings. I am trying to think back to awesomeness from DnD....

Pork (bacon) and chocolate seemed to reign supreme at D&D

trifecta

bsevern wrote:Pork (bacon) and chocolate seemed to reign supreme at D&D

Even though we extremely rarely eat pork, I admit the pairing is pretty killer. While I enjoy chocolate, I didn't find many that went with the PS. Although I am looking forward to the pedroncelli cupcakes.

If there are any PS ports, blue cheese is a downright ridiculous pairing.

trifecta

CAGrl wrote:I have 2 decanters and some wine glasses that I could bring. I can bring a bottle of PS port for the cigar time.

I am definitely bring some glasses over. For a guy who likes big pours, he sure has tiny glasses!

I also have a total of 5 decanters I can bring

bsevern

trifecta wrote:Even though we extremely rarely eat pork, I admit the pairing is pretty killer. While I enjoy chocolate, I didn't find many that went with the PS.

The good (there were two, one good, one just OK) chocolate covered bacon was sublime with PS at D&D.

bsevern

trifecta wrote:I am definitely bring some glasses over. For a guy who likes big pours, he sure has tiny glasses!

I also have a total of 5 decanters I can bring

I went in on the Houdini Decanter with Wine Shower wine.woot just offered up, so we'll have that (and it has a sediment filter for the older Pets).

I also picked up three more large wine glasses from the Lake County Wine Adventure

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:If there are any PS ports, blue cheese is a downright ridiculous pairing.

Or Stilton.
Oh, wait, that's just an English PDO blue.
It's still an excellent pairing.

CT

CAGrl

So I'm thinking a non-PS (2007 Virage Vineyards Red Bordeaux Blend) that I want to open and a 2007 Laura Zahtila Laura's Theme. I believe it is a mostly PS port style wine. But not sure about the port since it's my only bottle. Hmmm. Decisions decisions.

bsevern

CAGrl wrote:So I'm thinking a non-PS (2007 Virage Vineyards Red Bordeaux Blend) that I want to open and a 2007 Laura Zahtila Laura's Theme. I believe it is a mostly PS port style wine. But not sure about the port since it's my only bottle. Hmmm. Decisions decisions.

You know the Bordeaux tasting was a couple months ago.....this is Petite Sirah!! I kid...

I'm thinking I'll open all four of my Foppiano Pets from last summer's woot tour.

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:MdS, we'll still in on this, right?

I know I am ...

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bsevern

As this is turning into a Mini-D&D... I wonder if the good folks from D&D would kick down a few bottles of PS we could "test" out??

MarkDaSpark

CAGrl wrote:So I'm thinking a non-PS (2007 Virage Vineyards Red Bordeaux Blend) that I want to open and a 2007 Laura Zahtila Laura's Theme. I believe it is a mostly PS port style wine. But not sure about the port since it's my only bottle. Hmmm. Decisions decisions.

You could save yours ... since I have 2 or 3 left.

trifecta

bsevern wrote:As this is turning into a Mini-D&D... I wonder if the good folks from D&D would kick down a few bottles of PS we could "test" out??

If we did have that work out, low probability, they wouldn't really fit the older vintage theme. Nearly everything at the BBQ on Sunday were 2010's, still far too young.

I might be able to contact a few winemakers and see if they could dig out a library bottle to sell/gift to us. My first thought would be Teldeschi, as he already has much older vintages on hand.

trifecta

bsevern wrote:You know the Bordeaux tasting was a couple months ago.....this is Petite Sirah!! I kid...

CAgrl can claim one of my bottles as hers. I think we will have more than enough bottles already opened up. I think we need more people than we do wine!

Maybe Rj can bring up his argon system in case we have some special bottles that have leftovers...

Or maybe I can get one put together before then.

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:CAgrl can claim one of my bottles as hers. I think we will have more than enough bottles already opened up. I think we need more people than we do wine!

Maybe Rj can bring up his argon system in case we have some special bottles that have leftovers...

Or maybe I can get one put together before then.

Mine just got "enhanced" with a digital pressure meter and flow gauge to further the knowledge.

And yes, as long as MdS can manage to save some room in the blue woot-mobile, It'll come up.
But hearing how the NorCal group consumes like a lush fish, you really think such a thing as left-overs will even exist?

I would be more interested in pulling a bottle from my stores and doing various things with it.
Perhaps allow some to slow-ox
and seal into a 375 with little air space. Some other directly to a 375, perhaps some to a 750. Just thinking, I'd like some known reliable tasters to do a blind flight of the same wine stored various ways. May require two 750's or a mag of something. Open, mix, process, re-bottle, age, consume.

Help me select a candidate wine and develop the process.

Should I x-post this?

CT

rjquillin

Ok folks;
suggestions on the 'how well does it keep' question above have been, ahhh, underwhelming.
Step it up!

CT

trifecta

rjquillin wrote:Ok folks;
suggestions on the 'how well does it keep' question above have been, ahhh, underwhelming.
Step it up!

Ok. Ok. Been busy. I will look through your CT on Sunday. Now back to the jazz fest. Sheesh.

Edit: Didn't get to this yesterday. Will try to select a good candidate tonight. Would like to hear what others think as well.

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122

Tentative yes. Is this date solidified? I'm not sure what PS's I have, but I'll proooobably be bringing an '08 Esoterica unless I find something else.

trifecta

random122 wrote:Tentative yes. Is this date solidified? I'm not sure what PS's I have, but I'll proooobably be bringing an '08 Esoterica unless I find something else.

Date is set. It's going to be awesome!

trifecta

rjquillin wrote:Ok folks;
Step it up!

If you are bringing this to the PS night, I would think you want to try a PS. How about the Quixote or the '09 Handal?

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:If you are bringing this to the PS night, I would think you want to try a PS. How about the Quixote or the '09 Handal?

The Handal is so young, but the Quixote could work.

I wasn't looking to limit it to a PS, but that does make some sense.

So, how to evaluate the merits of system...
First thoughts we need a benchmark sample representative of everything. I think that means opening two or three, mixing, and returning to the bottle. Since the Quixote is screw-top, that's actually pretty easy to do for the reference.

Decanting;
If this is going to be at all representative of how it may be used in practice, do we need a sample that's been decanted for some time and then returned to bottle; both with and without Ar?
I would think yes.

Bottle size and storage position;
Teldeschi likes smaller bottles, I'll use them as well. Put some reference sample into a totally full 375 or 187?
For a half-full/empty 750 I want to see how vertical storage (minimal surface area) compares to horizontal storage (maximum surface area).

Let's weedle this into something useful.
How many people, and do you have enough similar glasses to make this work?
I've got a reasonable number of identical stemless I could bring, but not so much so for stemmed.

Twelve each of Spiegelau 4808000 and 4808001 as well as a dozen of Walther-Glas Ilaria 1817675 and a smaller 1817674 not pictured.

CT

CAGrl

You guys are way more sophisticated than me. I don't think I understood a word of what was written above. I've decided my contribution will be cupcakes, some bottles and showing up to drink.

Tassadar2k03

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Tassadar2k03

I am in! Now need to find a PS.

bsevern

Tassadar2k03 wrote:I am in! Now need to find a PS.

Great, looking forward to meeting you!

K&L has a two aged ones that would be good candidates to bring:

2000 Vincent Arroyo Petite Sirah Napa Valley Winemaker's Reserve -
Inventory: Main Warehouse
Price: $29.99

1994 Blockheadia Ringnosii Napa Valley Petite Sirah (some bin soiled labels) -
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate: "There is an outstanding 1994 Block-Headia Petite Sirah that is very rich and peppery, yet surprisingly fat and plush. Fans of this underrated varietal should be sure to check it out. Only 140 cases were produced from an ancient 100-year old head-pruned vineyard." (6/1996) Wine Spectator: "Smooth, ripe and juicy, with lots of berry and cherry flavors, balanced tannins. The blend includes Carignane, Alicante, Grenache and Zinfandel, giving it a supple, velvety texture for a wine that's mostly Petite Sirah." (5/1997)

Inventory: Main Warehouse
Price: $19.99