WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

St. Julian Blanc de Noir Sparkling

Speed to First Woot:
7m 35.779s
First Sucker:
jpreznicek85
Last Wooter to Woot:
soxfool
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 33% of Wine Woots
Top 43% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 48% of Wine Woots
Top 37% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 3% first woot
  • 1% second woot
  • 9% < 10 woots
  • 13% < 25 woots
  • 74% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 2% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 5% one year old
  • 92% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 91% bought 1
  • 9% bought 2
  • 0% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

7%
1%
3%
0%
0%
7%
2%
7%
10%
10%
5%
3%
9%
3%
2%
2%
2%
5%
4%
4%
2%
3%
2%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1598 Private Messages Cesare

St. Julian Blanc de Noir Sparkling 4-Pack
$59.99 $̶1̶1̶3̶.̶0̶0̶ 47% off List Price
Braganini Reserve Blanc De Noir Sparkling Wine
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

OK, want to try it but can't handle a whole set. I'll take one off somebody in SoCal if they purchase.

Drinking the 2009 Chancellor right now and loving it.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

losthighwayz


quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
klezman wrote:OK, want to try it but can't handle a whole set. I'll take one off somebody in SoCal if they purchase.

Drinking the 2009 Chancellor right now and loving it.



Did you know something we didn't?

"The older I get the better I was"

thekla


quality posts: 5 Private Messages thekla

I'm in the, want to split an order, anyone in Willamette Valley (Eugene area) want to go in on one?

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
losthighwayz wrote:Did you know something we didn't?



Nope, pure chance to be drinking their wine tonight. I wanted something with high acid to go with the tomato sauce, and I knew this would fit the bill.

The 10% RS makes me wonder if this will be too sweet for me, but I'd still be happy to try a bottle.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

jamesbottomtooth


quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth

does wine.woot work like the rest of woot? ie selling things nobody wants elsewhere? if they only bottled 388 cases in 2011, and woot got hold of this, does it mean nobody likes this stuff?

fine, i'll try it.

PhilSandifer


quality posts: 17 Private Messages PhilSandifer

Had an earlier vintage of this a few years ago. I was disappointed - it was a bit too acidic and sharp for me. It may have mellowed out in subsequent vintages, and at $15 a bottle is probably a fair price, but it's a pretty pedestrian wine.

chipgreen


quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen

A friend who knows how much I enjoy tasting wines from all corners of the country sent me a bottle of this Michigan Braganini Reserve Blanc de Noir to sample. I was concerned that it might be a flawed bottle because the cap was rattling and felt loose under the foil. I thought maybe it was a plastic cork that had cracked but it turned out that this is a screw-top bottle! There is a rounded plastic cap over the screw-top that gives it the appearance of a traditional champagne cork under the foil.

The wine is a pink salmon color - not orange salmon like in the woot pictures (a bit lighter IRL than the pic below but the hue is about right).



Tiny bubbles rise in continuous tendrils up the center of the flute, while larger bubbles float up nearer the edge. Medium sized bubbles cling to the glass itself.

On the nose; strawberry, baker's yeast and a floral note (Geranium?) with hints of cherry and peach.

Tongue-tingling acidic effervescence on the tart entry. Dry, yeasty red berry palate with a slightly bitter finish.

This is a solid Sparkling Rosé that drinks in line with its regular retail price of $25/bottle. For $15/bottle plus tax and shipping this is a very good deal for those who like Sparkling Rosé wines or have a special event coming up that calls for good bubbly at a reasonable price. Iron Horse it's not, but there is some good QPR here.

EDIT: I guess technically this is a white wine. It says "pink" on the label. I'm still going with Rosé! It's produced using the saignee method according to this fact sheet.

greyday


quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
thekla wrote:I'm in the, want to split an order, anyone in Willamette Valley (Eugene area) want to go in on one?



I'm in portland, message me if you want to split one.

jcassens5


quality posts: 8 Private Messages jcassens5

I've actually been to this winery a few times and they know their sparkling wines. Tastey stuff!

misswinegirl


quality posts: 19 Private Messages misswinegirl

Hi All, Nancie the winemaker here. The first thing I want to clear up is that there in fact is a typo. The wine is 0.1% RS - almost bone dry.

The wine is tart with acidity, but hey, we are from Michigan and we have nice acid levels in our wine here...great for sparkling wines!

The wine is red grape driven so the flavors and aromas will be of red fruits, but we add a splash of Traminette before bottling to perk up the beautiful floral aromas that Traminette can have.

We only make this wine every few years and 2011 was the perfect vintage to do so! This wine also took a GOLD and Best of Class at the Indy International Wine Competition!

Please let me know if you have any questions.


608 bottles wooted and counting...along with every cheese, balsamic, oil and now meat woot!

jamina1


quality posts: 12 Private Messages jamina1
misswinegirl wrote:Hi All, Nancie the winemaker here. The first thing I want to clear up is that there in fact is a typo. The wine is 0.1% RS - almost bone dry.

The wine is tart with acidity, but hey, we are from Michigan and we have nice acid levels in our wine here...great for sparkling wines!

The wine is red grape driven so the flavors and aromas will be of red fruits, but we add a splash of Traminette before bottling to perk up the beautiful floral aromas that Traminette can have.

We only make this wine every few years and 2011 was the perfect vintage to do so! This wine also took a GOLD and Best of Class at the Indy International Wine Competition!

Please let me know if you have any questions.



Hey Nancie! I just wanted to say that I love St. Julian's selection. I'm a local from Kalamazoo, and you guys consistently put out stuff that we want to buy. It's awesome to see you online here

FINALLY GOT A Bucket of Candycorn ON 9/22/10!

misswinegirl


quality posts: 19 Private Messages misswinegirl
jamina1 wrote:Hey Nancie! I just wanted to say that I love St. Julian's selection. I'm a local from Kalamazoo, and you guys consistently put out stuff that we want to buy. It's awesome to see you online here



Gotta say I LOVE my job! In the last 3 years, we have been turning it up a notch and I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying! Many new exciting wines it the works and I cannot wait to share! Cheers to you!


608 bottles wooted and counting...along with every cheese, balsamic, oil and now meat woot!

jchasma


quality posts: 9 Private Messages jchasma

Lab Rat Review: Thursday afternoon, I had a FedEx sticker left on my door saying I had missed a package. I swore to my husband that I hadn't ordered anything (as we're trying to save money for him going back to graduate school this Fall). I looked on all of my accounts to see if I had missed anything, and as soon as I figured out what it must be, I looked up the nearest FedEx. Friday afternoon, I drove to pick up my prize and opened a bottle of St. Julian Blanc de Noir Sparkling Wine. My husband was excited as this is his cup of tea. I generally like fruit bomb reds.

We refrigerated overnight and decided to do our tasting on Saturday evening.

Initial thought: This is definitely a dry sparkling wine. The bubbles were uneven and fairly large. I thought it smelled crisp and light and definitely tasted that way. The tastes were balanced but a little muted? I tasted raspberry and mushroom. My husband said it was drinkable without food and guessed the price at $25/bottle (spot on!).

After 15 minutes, I let it warm to see the difference and thought it smelled and tasted sweeter. Also, the berry was more pronounced with a little less funk. Most of the bubble was gone, which disappointed my husband, and he thought it was barely drinkable after the fifteen minutes. I honestly like it better but bubbly wines are not my favorite.

Overall, I'd say this is a good price for a decent sparkling wine (and we finished the bottle on Saturday). My husband said he'd buy again if we saw it at a store for $15-20 so for the Woot price, this is a deal!

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I was recently informed that these guys had a tasting room thats only about 30 minutes from me (in Dundee, MI). Definitely going to have to make my way up there in the near future and taste through some of their wines.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
misswinegirl wrote:Gotta say I LOVE my job! In the last 3 years, we have been turning it up a notch and I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying! Many new exciting wines it the works and I cannot wait to share! Cheers to you!



Wine maker with a black box?!?! Let's make this a sell out!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark



Happy Birthday to WineDavid39!!









Happy Birthday to WineDavid39!!!














☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
misswinegirl wrote:Hi All, Nancie the winemaker here. The first thing I want to clear up is that there in fact is a typo. The wine is 0.1% RS - almost bone dry.

The wine is tart with acidity, but hey, we are from Michigan and we have nice acid levels in our wine here...great for sparkling wines!

The wine is red grape driven so the flavors and aromas will be of red fruits, but we add a splash of Traminette before bottling to perk up the beautiful floral aromas that Traminette can have.



Thanks for clearing up the typo - 10% RS seemed rather high! So why you choose the Charmat method vs the traditional method? How does it affect the final wine and aside from cost, how would one choose which method to use?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

I had the opportunity to try this wine over the weekend. My bottle was not like the other reviews. There were very few bubbles. A few tiny bubbles rising up from the center of the glass in 1 or 2 (at the most) streams, that was it. The bottle was very warm when I received it, but I have no idea if that accounts for the difference.

I tasted strawberry and cream with some citrus on the finish. Happily, although there was a creamy flavor for me, the cream was not overwhelming, the finish was clean, and there was no funky aftertaste. I didn't get any yeast flavors at all.

After tasting on Saturday, I put the bottle in the refrigerator (yay screwcap) and tried it again on Sunday. I actually preferred it on the second day, because the berry flavor had faded a bit. To compare with California sparklers I've had, I'd say this wine is comparable to a Chandon. However, my bottle was clearly a little different from the other reviews, as there were few bubbles, no yeasty flavors, and I didn't get much acid either.

I did enjoy the wine, but I think it would have been much better if the bubbles had been there. Maybe the heat, or something? I don't know.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
chemvictim wrote:I did enjoy the wine, but I think it would have been much better if the bubbles had been there. Maybe the heat, or something? I don't know.



I would think the heat absolutely had something to do with the lack of bubbles.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

misswinegirl


quality posts: 19 Private Messages misswinegirl
klezman wrote:Thanks for clearing up the typo - 10% RS seemed rather high! So why you choose the Charmat method vs the traditional method? How does it affect the final wine and aside from cost, how would one choose which method to use?



Speed to the market! When handling individual bottles, its a much more laborious process! We have the special charmat tanks and decided to make this wine as tank fermented...another reason we can offer it a such a great price!

The final wine should be quite similar, although I find our charmat wines to have a bit less yeasty/bread character than bottle fermented.

As a winemaker, I think I can better retain the "fruity" flavors in the wine by the charmat process!


608 bottles wooted and counting...along with every cheese, balsamic, oil and now meat woot!

misswinegirl


quality posts: 19 Private Messages misswinegirl
kylemittskus wrote:I would think the heat absolutely had something to do with the lack of bubbles.



Unfortunately heat is never our friend in the winery...only in the vineyard when we are ripening grapes! Yes, the heat can indeed have a negative influence on those tiny bubbles!


608 bottles wooted and counting...along with every cheese, balsamic, oil and now meat woot!

markgm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages markgm

I was in for four, but it looks like it can't ship to Connecticut.

rhardtke


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rhardtke

If heat is an issue, why post in the dead of summer? I live in Phoenix and won't buy now based on that feedback.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
rhardtke wrote:If heat is an issue, why post in the dead of summer? I live in Phoenix and won't buy now based on that feedback.



I don't understand your first question, but wine.woot will take care of you if the wine is damaged during shipping.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

zopster


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zopster

As a former employee of St. Julian's at the Frankenmuth MI store, I can tell you they make some very good wines. I'd be in for an order, but live in MT and it can't be shipped to me directly. Guess I'll see if a wine store can get some.

phoenixsong44


quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixsong44

Can't resist a sparkler from the state I grew up in. St. Julian's was the first winery I ever visited as an adult and I have such a soft spot for them. Glad to see them on Woot again with a unique offering.

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
rhardtke wrote:If heat is an issue, why post in the dead of summer? I live in Phoenix and won't buy now based on that feedback.



I've had only one or two damaged woot shipments, out of many many summer shipments which had to travel all the way across the country. And woot took care of it with no hassle.

kaolis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
kylemittskus wrote:I would think the heat absolutely had something to do with the lack of bubbles.



Could be..however..Sparkling wine/Champagne tends to bubble up better if glasses have minor imperfections on the surface. Basically, bubbles form on the rough surfaces, not so much on very smooth surfaces.

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
kaolis wrote:Could be..however..Sparkling wine/Champagne tends to bubble up better if glasses have minor imperfections on the surface. Basically, bubbles form on the rough surfaces, not so much on very smooth surfaces.



I've had lots of bubbly in those same glasses with bubbles aplenty, so that's probably not the issue here. I did not use a Solo cup, I promise.

cortot20


quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20
jchasma wrote:Lab Rat Review: Thursday afternoon, I had a FedEx sticker left on my door saying I had missed a package. I swore to my husband that I hadn't ordered anything (as we're trying to save money for him going back to graduate school this Fall). I looked on all of my accounts to see if I had missed anything, and as soon as I figured out what it must be, I looked up the nearest FedEx. Friday afternoon, I drove to pick up my prize and opened a bottle of St. Julian Blanc de Noir Sparkling Wine. My husband was excited as this is his cup of tea. I generally like fruit bomb reds.



What is this Lab rat you speak of, surely you meant to say that this bottle was found in the bottom of the 18th hole at the local golf course.

CT

jcassens5


quality posts: 8 Private Messages jcassens5
misswinegirl wrote:Unfortunately heat is never our friend in the winery...only in the vineyard when we are ripening grapes! Yes, the heat can indeed have a negative influence on those tiny bubbles!



Should sparkling wines be stored colder? And if stored properly, how long do you think a wine like this will keep?