(as of 2011-03-02)

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
JOATMON wrote:Woof!

ahhhhh two many dogs barking!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
JOATMON wrote:Woof!

Bad Dog!! Cortot said he was going to start the Pub!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
MarkDaSpark wrote:Bad Dog!! Cortot said he was going to start the Pub!!!

Nobody gave me the memo.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
cheron98 wrote:The car being out of alignment doesn't always rear its head as "drifting" though - something I learned recently from my BIL who I trust very much with cars. He showed me how on his truck, it's actually out of alignment, and you can tell by the wear of the tire tread, but the truck still drives super straight. Then again, his is a beast truck that probably goes straight merely out of stubbornness.

But anyway, I brought my car in to my dad's dealership recently for an oil change and they handed me a giant list of things that needed to be fixed NOW NOW NOW - including the serpentine belt. Dad and I both looked at the list like "yeah right". They wanted me to change the belts, change the spark plugs, get a coolant flush/fill, do some other random crap... and I'm like, no. The only thing they DIDN'T say I needed was new brakes. Those were still in awesome shape and they couldn't even begin to try to say they needed to be changed.

But anyway, so I ignored them, got the car down to my BIL who looked at the serpentine belt and he was like "um, yeah it's totally fine." Need to watch it, it's starting to wear, but isn't showing the signs of imminent failure yet. And he showed me how to check it, so now I can verify the mechanics' findings on my own

But yeah, pretty much all of the stuff on their list was stuff that was scheduled to be done at the 75k mark that I hadn't had done, so with the 80k service, they were all "It has to happen NOW" and I basically said I wasn't going there again. Although I did just have them do the cleaning/adjusting of the rear brakes because of the annoying squeakiness, but the service advisor dad trusts was there, so it was cool. She wasn't there the day the car went in for an oil change - thus the attempt by them to get me to have more done.

One time when I took my car in to the dealer for it's 5,000 mile tuneup, the agent stated that there was a problem with the brake system that would require some service. I pressed him on details (I've worked on cars myself, plus I've looked at the brake system diagram for the Prius), and he backed down (couldn't give any diagnostic codes, and wouldn't show me the problem).

I don't use that agent any more.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MarkDaSpark

JOATMON wrote:Nobody gave me the memo.

Well if someone had read the previous Pub!!!

Edit: Nevermind. Now the brat is saying it's the AntiPub.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of July 14

The Dog Days of Summer have arrived. Why not cool down that puppy with a White Wine or Sangria gathering? Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

July
7/20: NorCal #19: Theme Still Under Discussion
7/27: SoCal #27: Sparky & zTimBz Wine Locker Redux

August
8/3: NorCal #?: WineSmith BBQ in Santa Rosa
8/3: Minnesota #21 8-3-13
8/10: Omaha #1: Is there critical mass?
8/10 & 8/17: zTimBz's Bday / SoCal #28 - If we open them, he will come
8/24: The Wootception!!!

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
MarkDaSpark wrote:Well if someone had read the previous Pub!!!

Edit: Nevermind. Now the brat is saying it's the AntiPub.

I resemble that remark.

CT

MarkDaSpark

JOATMON wrote:One time when I took my car in to the dealer for it's 5,000 mile tuneup, the agent stated that there was a problem with the brake system that would require some service. I pressed him on details (I've worked on cars myself, plus I've looked at the brake system diagram for the Prius), and he backed down (couldn't give any diagnostic codes, and wouldn't show me the problem).

I don't use that agent any more.

I don't think anyone would, especially saying you need brake work after only 5,000 miles!

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:I don't think anyone would, especially saying you need brake work after only 5,000 miles!

Break dancing Prius?
That would require work.

CT

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Break dancing Prius?
That would require work.

Don't you have a post to write about your wine saving Gas system?

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:Don't you have a post to write about your wine saving Gas system?

I haven't, yet, found an acceptably inexpensive gas flow meter in quantity.
And the specter of a break dancing Prius, much research required, intriguing...

CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
MarkDaSpark wrote:Don't you have a post to write about your wine saving Gas system?

I believe your post about an updated CT is much more overdue than his.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Ahhh, finally caught up on the pub(s). You guys sure chatted it up this weekend. I had a bit of a night out on Saturday, so have been a bit AWOL as yesterday was basically recovery day.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

MarkDaSpark wrote:We finally got her into the assisted living by my sis, and are moving her early next month, hopefully before something happens.

And then my weekends will be free! Free I say!!

So by "early next month", you mean you'll do so during the first weekend, right? That way you can buy a last minute flight out to attend a certain wedding....now that your weekends would be free.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

rjquillin

North316 wrote:I believe your post about an updated CT is much more overdue than his.

Zing!

CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
HitAnyKey42 wrote:So by "early next month", you mean you'll do so during the first weekend, right? That way you can buy a last minute flight out to attend a certain wedding....now that your weekends would be free.

Yeah I already sent him a text to ask, and apparently there's some other family function thing he's obligated to go to. SparkySigh.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:Yeah I already sent him a text to ask, and apparently there's some other family function thing he's obligated to go to. SparkySigh.

Yeah, he keeps threatening to come East for stuff, but rarely delivers. We still love him, though.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I need to not be tempted by crap I don't need. That tablet on Woot has been calling my name all day, though I really don't need a tablet. My HP's are still going strong and do whatever I need a tablet to do. I keep looking at it though!

Must pay for kitchen 100 Grand Bar

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:I believe your post about an updated CT is much more overdue than his.

Perhaps. But I believe I never gave an end date, whereas RJ promised one within a timeframe.

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:Yeah I already sent him a text to ask, and apparently there's some other family function thing he's obligated to go to. SparkySigh.

If I didn't have the family thing on Sunday (around 1 pm), I would have looked into flying out for it. But I'm not taking a Red-eye back to LA!!!

But much sadness at not going!

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Yeah, he keeps threatening to come East for stuff, but rarely delivers. We still love him, though.

Rarely? Rarely?

Only for the last 1.75 year (which is about when dad got sick, and we've had mom losing more short-term memory and resisting moving.

Before that, I seem to remember flying out to Buffalo twice, NoVA/DC twice, once to Chicago, and once to Denver. And that's with no family (except for Denver) in the area. Well, other than my Wineaux Family!

Plus, it's not like Napa/Sonoma is around the block! That's a nice trek too!

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:I need to not be tempted by crap I don't need. That tablet on Woot has been calling my name all day, though I really don't need a tablet. My HP's are still going strong and do whatever I need a tablet to do. I keep looking at it though!

Must pay for kitchen first!

I know what you mean! I keep being tempted by those. Or the Microsoft Surface tablets. Or those new laptops that swivel so you can use them like tablets.

MarkDaSpark

Remind me to never drink a sangria that d-dog makes. Unless the plan is to get totally plastered!

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:Rarely? Rarely?

Only for the last 1.75 year (which is about when dad got sick, and we've had mom losing more short-term memory and resisting moving.

Before that, I seem to remember flying out to Buffalo twice, NoVA/DC twice, once to Chicago, and once to Denver. And that's with no family (except for Denver) in the area. Well, other than my Wineaux Family!

Plus, it's not like Napa/Sonoma is around the block! That's a nice trek too!

My good friend, you may be right, I need more sleep, but I can't be responsible for neglecting to consider NoVA/DC, since I wasn't there, Denver is east of LB, but hardly East. Napa/Sonoma is a trek, I'll grant you. Murphy's is farther still, but much closer for you than for us. Still, it will be worth the trip to see you (and the others) again.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:My good friend, you may be right, I need more sleep, but I can't be responsible for neglecting to consider NoVA/DC, since I wasn't there, Denver is east of LB, but hardly East. Napa/Sonoma is a trek, I'll grant you. Murphy's is farther still, but much closer for you than for us. Still, it will be worth the trip to see you (and the others) again.

Yes it will be worth it!! And you can count on me coming to Buffalo next year for sure!

North316

MarkDaSpark wrote:Perhaps. But I believe I never gave an end date, whereas RJ promised one within a timeframe.

I could dig it up, but you did promise a date, and failed miserably.

My CT

North316

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes it will be worth it!! And you can count on me coming to Buffalo next year for sure!

I might have to plan a trip to Buffalo for next year as well now...

My CT

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:I could dig it up, but you did promise a date, and failed miserably.

No, you aren't my type!

Besides, aren't you married?

MarkDaSpark

Ya gotta love Woot shipping. Originated in Indianapolis, IN. Departed for Louisville, KY (which is east, IIRC). Now it's gone back to Indiana (Hodgkins) and has now departed for somewhere else (hopefully here, but then again it could go back to KY!).

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:If I didn't have the family thing on Sunday (around 1 pm), I would have looked into flying out for it. But I'm not taking a Red-eye back to LA!!!

But much sadness at not going!

Hey, 1pm means you could easily take the morning flight post-wedding! Leaves like 8am or so and arrives 10:30am.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
ddeuddeg wrote:My good friend, you may be right, I need more sleep, but I can't be responsible for neglecting to consider NoVA/DC, since I wasn't there, Denver is east of LB, but hardly East. Napa/Sonoma is a trek, I'll grant you. Murphy's is farther still, but much closer for you than for us. Still, it will be worth the trip to see you (and the others) again.

I sounds like we'll be seeing you in a couple weeks, but also there's opportunity Thanksgiving weekend when we're up seeing my nephew!

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
ddeuddeg wrote:Denver is east of LB, but hardly East.

Anything East of the CA border is Back East. (And old fashioned - almost Amish-like. Though I've heard that in Kansas City they went an' built a skyscraper seven stories high.)

Except for Las Vegas, which is part of Southern California - kinda like the way Berlin used to be part of the West.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Hey, 1pm means you could easily take the morning flight post-wedding! Leaves like 8am or so and arrives 10:30am.

Silly Klez! Wedding Reception means a late night ... which means no 8 am flights!!!

MarkDaSpark

zTimothyBz wrote:Anything East of the CA border is Back East. (And old fashioned - almost Amish-like. Though I've heard that in Kansas City they went an' built a skyscraper seven stories high.)

Except for Las Vegas, which is part of Southern California - kinda like the way Berlin used to be part of the West.

Eggzactly!!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:Silly Klez! Wedding Reception means a late night ... which means no 8 am flights!!!

Actually, it'll be over by 5pm.

Yes, we'll be available to hang out in the evening, but the reception itself is over at 5.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
klezman wrote:I sounds like we'll be seeing you in a couple weeks, but also there's opportunity Thanksgiving weekend when we're up seeing my nephew!

Great! Your Thanksgiving weekend or ours?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes it will be worth it!! And you can count on me coming to Buffalo next year for sure!

And you can count on the royal treatment you deserve.

HitAnyKey42

Happy Birthday, WD!!!!!!!

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

rjquillin

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Happy Birthday, WD!!!!!!!

If this is true, and who am I to question, Sparky deserves a case of vinegar for his next order.

Hail to WD, the ultimate enabler!

CT