otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

This is a shameful post to get an otosparky. Ha!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
otolith wrote:Can you not count?!?

Don't worry, it'll be a long-ass time before I start one again! Too many rules and regulations to follow!

You still have 6 to go! Well, 7 now!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:This is a shameful post to get an otosparky. Ha!

I like that! Otosparky!

8 to go now.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

post...
now how many til Doc O is even?

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:post...
now how many til Doc O is even?

No, no, no. And I guess you really don't want any of my wine.

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:No, no, no. And I guess you really don't want any of my wine.

see, now I have to reply to you

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:No, no, no. And I guess you really don't want any of my wine.

and ......of course I want some of your wine!!

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin
otolith wrote:Can you not count?!?

Don't worry, it'll be a long-ass time before I start one again! Too many rules and regulations to follow!

Ha! From he that must on a daily basis deal with Insurance, HIPAA and ACA R&R's!

CT

otolith

rjquillin wrote:Ha! From he that must on a daily basis deal with Insurance, HIPAA and ACA R&R's!

Correct! I come here to escape that!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
otolith wrote:Correct! I come here to escape that!

Ahhh, freedom.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:Ahhh, freedom.

You're missing all the fun in the other Pub!

We've gotten Mother to go to incoherent!

Edit: That's even more colorful than going to Plaid!

North316

So, wife's uncle who lives about an hour from us was life-flighted to one of our local hospitals this afternoon after falling off of a roof while working. Partially shattered his pelvis, fractured three vertibrae, two broken ribs, hairline fracture of his skull and a collapsed lung.

He's alert and awake, but still in the ICU. The rest of the family is 3 hours across the state, so the wife and I are going to spending a lot of time at the hospital in the near future.

Good news is I won my softball game. I would have pitched a shutout had it not been for a worthless umpire behind the plate.

My CT

NonnaWY

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonnaWY

Just because I need to make an appearance once in awhile, voila!

It's raining here in good ol Cheyenne, Wyoming. Just in time for the annual influx of wanna'be cowboys and tourists who want to live the history of rodeo. I'm going to stay home and drink wine each night and avoid the crazy driving of the tourists. (no offense to Joatmon, whom I had the pleasure of meeting here in town a few months ago.)

I will drink no wine before it's time. What time is it, anyway?

Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly.

mommadeb1

North316 wrote:So, wife's uncle who lives about an hour from us was life-flighted to one of our local hospitals this afternoon after falling off of a roof while working. Partially shattered his pelvis, fractured three vertibrae, two broken ribs, hairline fracture of his skull and a collapsed lung.

He's alert and awake, but still in the ICU. The rest of the family is 3 hours across the state, so the wife and I are going to spending a lot of time at the hospital in the near future.

Good news is I won my softball game. I would have pitched a shutout had it not been for a worthless umpire behind the plate.

wow!! how horrible!! sending positive thoughts your way....

otolith

North316 wrote:Ahhh, freedom.

Yessssss!

--John Muir

chipgreen

quality posts: 201 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:So, wife's uncle who lives about an hour from us was life-flighted to one of our local hospitals this afternoon after falling off of a roof while working. Partially shattered his pelvis, fractured three vertibrae, two broken ribs, hairline fracture of his skull and a collapsed lung.

Ouch! That sounds pretty painful. Here's hoping he makes a full recovery!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
NonnaWY wrote:Just because I need to make an appearance once in awhile, voila!

It's raining here in good ol Cheyenne, Wyoming. Just in time for the annual influx of wanna'be cowboys and tourists who want to live the history of rodeo. I'm going to stay home and drink wine each night and avoid the crazy driving of the tourists. (no offense to Joatmon, whom I had the pleasure of meeting here in town a few months ago.)

Um, wasn't me.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

NonnaWY

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonnaWY
JOATMON wrote:Um, wasn't me.

Gah, wrong J. It was JavaDrinker.

Blame it on the wine I was drinking last night...

I will drink no wine before it's time. What time is it, anyway?

Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly.

North316

To add to this wonderful week, took the car in this morning for some general maintenance (60k miles), a recall repair, and to get my brakes checked (vibration and some noise).

Turns out I needed all new brakes and rotors, that combined with the general maintenance is going to run about $1,100. No wine for me for awhile (except drinking).

My CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
North316 wrote:To add to this wonderful week, took the car in this morning for some general maintenance (60k miles), a recall repair, and to get my brakes checked (vibration and some noise).

Turns out I needed all new brakes and rotors, that combined with the general maintenance is going to run about $1,100. No wine for me for awhile (except drinking).

It is definitely not your week.

On the plus side, it's Friday, so it's almost over? Maybe?

Chin up, drink up. That 60k checkup is a killer - I remember when I went in for mine, I thought I still had a pre-paid maintenance voucher left for it. I didn't, and the service advisor (whom I trust) very kindly let me know BEFORE any work was done that I didn't have any vouchers left and that the cost was gonna run me close to $400. Which I was definitely not prepared for at the time. Ended up just doing the basic oil change + fluid top-up, got my tires rotated at Costco (free cuz I have Costco tires), got my brother-in-law to swap out the spark plugs (that broke the bank at $15), got new wiper blades via my dad with his employee discount at his dealership (all of $8, and he swapped them for me). I think I still owe the car a good coolant flush/fill, and it's now at 83k. I did just recently have to get the brakes cleaned and adjusted because they were squeaking when I released the brake pedal, but the pads and stuff are still good - and still the originals. 83k miles later. My service dude thinks I can pull off 100k miles on these brakes

I miss my service dude. I had to leave him behind in Michigan. Rambling. Stopping now.

Hugs and cheers, it'll get better!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
North316 wrote:To add to this wonderful week, took the car in this morning for some general maintenance (60k miles), a recall repair, and to get my brakes checked (vibration and some noise).

OH HOW I HATE BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know how simple brakes and rotors are? It's pathetically easy and takes almost NO time, but they charge a FORTUNE for it. When my dad changed out my brakes and calipers in an hour for $250 in parts I was PISSED.

seriously, just get a manual and read it for your car. it's incredibly simple to do.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
bhodilee wrote:OH HOW I HATE BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know how simple brakes and rotors are? It's pathetically easy and takes almost NO time, but they charge a FORTUNE for it. When my dad changed out my brakes and calipers in an hour for $250 in parts I was PISSED.

seriously, just get a manual and read it for your car. it's incredibly simple to do.

I feel so guilty now that I'm too important (read: lazy and lacking a good level work area)to do my own car maintenance.

North316

bhodilee wrote:OH HOW I HATE BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know they are easy, but in this case they would not have been. They told me the brackets were rusted to the pads causing them to not release properly, which what caused the extra wear on the pads and rotors (I'm sure my driving style didn't help either. They have get it all apart, replace the pads and rotors and grind off a bunch of the rust so it doesn't happen again (I actually confirmed this with another repair shop I called for a quote).

Sucks. Dealer actually wanted to charge me more but after I called for the other quote, got them to drop the price $100 (or my total would have been $1,200). Still $30 higher than the other quote, but that's worth the convenience and keeping my service record all with the dealer.

My CT

bhodilee

mother wrote:I feel so guilty now that I'm too important (read: lazy and lacking a good level work area)to do my own car maintenance.

Lazy is the big key with me. I COULD change my own oil, but with a coupon I can get it done for 18 bucks. That's only about 2 bucks more than doing it myself, off to the shop! Brakes and sparkplugs though, I can do that myself and I'm a complete disaster when it comes to most things like that.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

North316 wrote:I know they are easy, but in this case they would not have been. They told me the brackets were rusted to the pads causing them to not release properly, which what caused the extra wear on the pads and rotors (I'm sure my driving style didn't help either. They have get it all apart, replace the pads and rotors and grind off a bunch of the rust so it doesn't happen again (I actually confirmed this with another repair shop I called for a quote).

Sucks. Dealer actually wanted to charge me more but after I called for the other quote, got them to drop the price $100 (or my total would have been $1,200). Still $30 higher than the other quote, but that's worth the convenience and keeping my service record all with the dealer.

yes, that's a different animal then. Why didn't they just replace the calipers with the brakes? Wouldn't have run much more in parts and easier labor.

North316

bhodilee wrote:yes, that's a different animal then. Why didn't they just replace the calipers with the brakes? Wouldn't have run much more in parts and easier labor.

No idea. It's a Toyota. Maybe the foreign cars are built differently?

My CT

bhodilee

North316 wrote:No idea. It's a Toyota. Maybe the foreign cars are built differently?

mine's a Honda, I seem to remember it was basically a clip and a hose and the caliper came off. The Rotors were a Sour Patch and 3/4 and required some impact work though.

I suppose if the actual caliper was fine other than the fusing maybe it's easy to knock that off with an impact. Who knows!

mother

bhodilee wrote:mine's a Honda, I seem to remember it was basically a clip and a hose and the caliper came off. The Rotors were a Sour Patch and 3/4 and required some impact work though.

I suppose if the actual caliper was fine other than the fusing maybe it's easy to knock that off with an impact. Who knows!

Worst case scenario a caliper has two bolts that hold it in. If one of the pistons was frozen with rust, it needed to be replaced or rebuilt, I'm guessing it was either the two aforementioned bolts or whatever other system holds the caliper in place was rusted and wasn't allowing the caliper to float side to side (they need to so that you are guaranteed even pressure to both sides).

Not sure how that required much more than some penetrating lubricant and maybe a few whacks with a hammer to get off though!

bhodilee

mother wrote:Worst case scenario a caliper has two bolts that hold it in. If one of the pistons was frozen with rust, it needed to be replaced or rebuilt, I'm guessing it was either the two aforementioned bolts or whatever other system holds the caliper in place was rusted and wasn't allowing the caliper to float side to side (they need to so that you are guaranteed even pressure to both sides).

Not sure how that required much more than some penetrating lubricant and maybe a few whacks with a hammer to get off though!

I had trouble with the pistons on both rear tires. To get the rotors off my dad just let the impact vibrate the holy hell out of it until it shook loose (I realize few people likely have an impact and an air compressor big enough to run it)

mother

bhodilee wrote:I had trouble with the pistons on both rear tires. To get the rotors off my dad just let the impact vibrate the holy hell out of it until it shook loose (I realize few people likely have an impact and an air compressor big enough to run it)

CHUNK-CHUNK-Thunnnnn-pssssssss (my imitation of an impact driver on one of those pancake or dual log compressors)

Which begs a question- anyone have one of them new fangled Li-Ion cordless kits that came with the impact driver? Do those things work for things like lugnuts?

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

Reminder:

Winesmith BBQ in Santa Rosa is 2 weeks away. Great chance to meek Clark Smith and enjoy wine with fellow wooters. Check out the gatherings tab! Aug 3rd 12-6. Don't miss it!

bhodilee

mother wrote:CHUNK-CHUNK-Thunnnnn-pssssssss (my imitation of an impact driver on one of those pancake or dual log compressors)

Which begs a question- anyone have one of them new fangled Li-Ion cordless kits that came with the impact driver? Do those things work for things like lugnuts?

oddly enough, I talked to my dad about those recently (diesel mechanic for a railroad) and he is impressed with them. They should work fine for that yes. I don't think I'd trust your car to anyone but the folks certified for it though I still have, Tromp on gas pedal of Mother's car, on my top ten list.

mommadeb1

I HATE taking my car in.. they always find something wrong!!!

bhodilee

mommadeb1 wrote:I HATE taking my car in.. they always find something wrong!!!

you know why right? They've got books that say at this many miles car X should have Y service whether your car actually needs it. I was told I needed an alignment and I said oh really, cause I can take my hands off the wheel and drive a significant distance before it begins to drift. I'm sure the book said something to that affect though.

cheron98

trifecta wrote:Reminder:

Winesmith BBQ in Santa Rosa is 2 weeks away. Great chance to meek Clark Smith and enjoy wine with fellow wooters. Check out the gatherings tab! Aug 3rd 12-6. Don't miss it!

I feel like I should know who Clark Smith is and am ashamed to admit that I don't.

cheron98

bhodilee wrote:you know why right? They've got books that say at this many miles car X should have Y service whether your car actually needs it. I was told I needed an alignment and I said oh really, cause I can take my hands off the wheel and drive a significant distance before it begins to drift. I'm sure the book said something to that affect though.

The car being out of alignment doesn't always rear its head as "drifting" though - something I learned recently from my BIL who I trust very much with cars. He showed me how on his truck, it's actually out of alignment, and you can tell by the wear of the tire tread, but the truck still drives super straight. Then again, his is a beast truck that probably goes straight merely out of stubbornness.

But anyway, I brought my car in to my dad's dealership recently for an oil change and they handed me a giant list of things that needed to be fixed NOW NOW NOW - including the serpentine belt. Dad and I both looked at the list like "yeah right". They wanted me to change the belts, change the spark plugs, get a coolant flush/fill, do some other random crap... and I'm like, no. The only thing they DIDN'T say I needed was new brakes. Those were still in awesome shape and they couldn't even begin to try to say they needed to be changed.

But anyway, so I ignored them, got the car down to my BIL who looked at the serpentine belt and he was like "um, yeah it's totally fine." Need to watch it, it's starting to wear, but isn't showing the signs of imminent failure yet. And he showed me how to check it, so now I can verify the mechanics' findings on my own

But yeah, pretty much all of the stuff on their list was stuff that was scheduled to be done at the 75k mark that I hadn't had done, so with the 80k service, they were all "It has to happen NOW" and I basically said I wasn't going there again. Although I did just have them do the cleaning/adjusting of the rear brakes because of the annoying squeakiness, but the service advisor dad trusts was there, so it was cool. She wasn't there the day the car went in for an oil change - thus the attempt by them to get me to have more done.

bhodilee

cheron98 wrote:I feel like I should know who Clark Smith is and am ashamed to admit that I don't.

he's the guy that makes the Chard PS actually likes

cheron98

bhodilee wrote:he's the guy that makes the Chard PS actually likes

Ah. I've found a few now, surprisingly.

mother

cheron98 wrote:The car being out of alignment doesn't always rear its head as "drifting" though -

There are a few components to alignment...

Toe is if the front of the tires point towards each other (in) or away from each other (out). Toe-in makes a car not want to initiate a turn, toe-out makes it really want to turn.
Front of car is up:
Toe in /\
Toe out \/

Cars normally have a little toe-in so that when the forces applied to the situation from actually driving get applied, things zero out.

Usually a bad alignment is your toe angle being off, but not off because of an even amount of adjustment on each side of the car.

The other adjustments are camber which is if the tire leans in (-) or out (+) at the top. A bit of negative camber (top in) enhances most cars cornering ability - This is important because when you are taking a corner the car will change the angle of contact with the road, and that is when you want the tire on the outside that has to do all the work as flat against the pavement as possible.

The last adjustment is called caster, and that is essentially how not straight up and down the pivot point is. Caster does two things- it can add or subtract camber as you turn the wheel (remember you want the tire to lean in at the top on the outside wheel in a corner so the rubber is flat on the road) and also it's what causes the force that self-centers the steering wheel.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
cheron98 wrote:Ah. I've found a few now, surprisingly.

Clark actually has a Book signing and a wine tasting this weekend in NYC. Sunday the 21st @ 7 pm:

Maslow6
211 West Broadway
New York, NY 10013

Was hoping to make it, but I think I'll be packing for the move to Jersey City all weekend. Will try to sneak away...