rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
bahwm wrote:My body is starting to have problems with all of these acidic and fried foods that we have been eating. I know it may be a bit of an oxymoron, but I think we've been drinking too much wine and coffee and not eating enough of my favored veggies & fruits. Plus, it would be lovely not to still be eating at midnight! Also, it has been hot back at the apartment and I have not been sleeping well. We are at a hotel in León tonight. The AC is working beautifully! Ddeuddeg & I both crashed for an hour long siesta. We have another 40 minutes before we have to meet our friends. This is Pilar's home city. We'll see what tonight will bring.

This so reminds me of when I was working in Toulouse France for a few weeks years ago.
Nobody there began work early, and attempting to finish supper before the next day was upon us was nearly impossible, and despite our best efforts to effect a local shortage of wine, we failed miserably. Our lodging did however have AC that generally provided a slight reduction in temperature.

Have you encountered Manzana yet? A number of cafes served it unasked upon seating us.

CT

rjquillin

ThunderThighs wrote:I could fix that you know.

Not sure I'm gonna get used to you at other than the midnight hour. How is it to see daylight, or are you in some dank interior space?

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:Not sure I'm gonna get used to you at other than the midnight hour. How is it to see daylight, or are you in some dank interior space?

I squint a lot.

I miss the midnight shift but I'm having a good time with the folks in the office.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
MarkDaSpark wrote:I actually had to move both 48 case lockers and the 16 case locker across the street to the new walk-in!

For those into advanced maths, this was an instance where the variable *I* took on the value of a strong young man from Belarus....

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bhodilee wrote:Going to look at granite today at various places, though depending on timing I'll likely get it through my other work. I talked with a manager over there and we switched fabricators and in celebration(?) they're likely going to do an employee special on it. Problem is it'd be limited to in stock granite and I'm lukewarm to most of the in stock stuff. Still, it'll likely be around 30% cheaper than anywhere else. But I'm only needing right at 40sqft so not terrible regardless.

just don't go with black...it shows every little bit of dust and dirt.. I'm not lucky enough to have granite... but my friends who have the super dark granite, regret it.

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:We are in León. We rode through the twisty turny mountain pass to get there. Beautiful views--high mountains and typical old, very old, villages. Got here to see a few things this morning & early afternoon. Then, stopped to visit with our friend's friend who owns a bar and then comped us our drinks and tapas. Went for a traditional dinner of salt cod and a fried egg. The sauce was made of paprika, olive oil, garlic and some of the fat from the cod (this was, for me, the least satisfying of all of our meals. It was preceded by lamb sweetbreads and razor clams! We had two bottles of a rosé and a bottle of water.

My body is starting to have problems with all of these acidic and fried foods that we have been eating. I know it may be a bit of an oxymoron, but I think we've been drinking too much wine and coffee and not eating enough of my favored veggies & fruits. Plus, it would be lovely not to still be eating at midnight! Also, it has been hot back at the apartment and I have not been sleeping well. We are at a hotel in León tonight. The AC is working beautifully! Ddeuddeg & I both crashed for an hour long siesta. We have another 40 minutes before we have to meet our friends. This is Pilar's home city. We'll see what tonight will bring.

sounds like fun!

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

Kyle, according to the radar you should be getting some awesome rain right now. Can you look outside and confirm if its awesome for me.

CT

rjquillin

mommadeb1 wrote:just don't go with black...it shows every little bit of dust and dirt.. I'm not lucky enough to have granite... but my friends who have the super dark granite, regret it.

Especially when that 370nm light under the cabinet illuminates it, and all on it.

CT

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
cortot20 wrote:Kyle, according to the radar you should be getting some awesome rain right now. Can you look outside and confirm if its awesome for me.

Can I have some too? Pleeeeeeease???

mommadeb1

cortot20 wrote:Kyle, according to the radar you should be getting some awesome rain right now. Can you look outside and confirm if its awesome for me.

well, if Kyle didn't get it...we sure did!! Oh! Mr. Goodbar! I now have standing water in my front yard..which very rarely happens...seeing how we don't have real dirt, but sugar sand....and it is still thundering...

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:I could fix that you know.

Please do ... she has that wedding and honeymoon and Wootception coming up!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Off and on spitting ... err, sprinkles here.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Thank you for d-dog for remembering his password and donating to my swim. I will try to either bring a bag of potatoes to the next wine woot gathering, or some wine (of course you guys might have way too much of it anyway)

MarkDaSpark

Italian Society dinner tonight with Mom, Sis, and BiL.

Find out mom's been going back by the pool (she can't swim) area to the fruit trees, and today crossed the street to pick up the neighbors' papers. Not sure if she used her walker or not. (Helper is only on weekdays.)

We finally got her into the assisted living by my sis, and are moving her early next month, hopefully before something happens.

And then my weekends will be free! Free I say!!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:Italian Society dinner tonight with Mom, Sis, and BiL.

Find out mom's been going back by the pool (she can't swim) area to the fruit trees, and today crossed the street to pick up the neighbors' papers. Not sure if she used her walker or not. (Helper is only on weekdays.)

We finally got her into the assisted living by my sis, and are moving her early next month, hopefully before something happens.

And then my weekends will be free! Free I say!!

Free to visit Mom at the assisted living place, you mean.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Free to visit Mom at the assisted living place, you mean.

On the way up to and back from Paso you mean.

Of course, this also means I might be able to visit friends in Buffalo, if I had more than one there, that is.

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to darlenee1!!

Happy Birthday to darlenee1!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

Thank you for the birthday wishes! Spent last night drinking Spanish wines and gorging myself on tapas such as chorizo and figs, smoked duck and San Simon cheese,etc. Then some lovely 20-yr port to finish. Today is a restful day of celebrating 35 years of greatness with my lovely husband and daughter.

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm

Happy Birthday, Darlenee! Sounds like you had fun!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

Got back from León about an hour ago. Saw some marvelous ancient homes along the way. Last night we made the rounds. León is the place to go for FREE tapas with your drinks. Here, you can actually select your own tapas and, in theory, eat your way around town reasonably. We made one stop before lunch with two tapas each & a glass of wine. We polished off two bottles of a rosé with lunch. Then, later, we made about four stops before we went to dinner!

We had some very thinly sliced beef tongue with some sort of vinegar. It was quite good. This was a bit easier than the roast goat from the day before--which, also, was quite a bit better than I had expected! I can't believe all of different things that we're eating! I would not eat this stuff at home, but our friends DO eat it and it is some typical foods from their region. Tonight we are hoping to/planning on having a quiet evening at home--¡Gracias a Dios!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:Got back from León about an hour ago. Saw some marvelous ancient homes along the way. Last night we made the rounds. León is the place to go for FREE tapas with your drinks. Here, you can actually select your own tapas and, in theory, eat your way around town reasonably. We made one stop before lunch with two tapas each & a glass of wine. We polished off two bottles of a rosé with lunch. Then, later, we made about four stops before we went to dinner!

We had some very thinly sliced beef tongue with some sort of vinegar. It was quite good. This was a bit easier than the roast goat from the day before--which, also, was quite a bit better than I had expected! I can't believe all of different things that we're eating! I would not eat this stuff at home, but our friends DO eat it and it is some typical foods from their region. Tonight we are hoping to/planning on having a quiet evening at home--¡Gracias a Dios!

you are making me hungry!!!

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:

Happy Birthday to darlenee1!!

Happy Birthday to darlenee1!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

+1

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

I'm back from field exercises. Gotta love tromping thru tick-, horsefly- and mosquito-infested terrain in 100 degree heat (with heat indices of 110+) for nearly 2 weeks.

I have a new appreciation for scrubs. I picked up a couple of pair because they were a cheap solution for cargo pants. Even with upteen layers of dirt, sand, sweat, and DEET all over them (lots and lots of DEET!), they came clean on the *first* wash!!! Awesome! I completely understand why the medical folks wear them.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead

The final stage of the 100th Tour de France is wrapping up now in Paris.

Looks like the woot vans are there!

(I don't think its woot, but looks like it!)

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
trifecta wrote:Yep. Some of us have to pack and move our wine sometimes. We don't all have it shipped to a room and never go through it .

Pretty tough on the back to pack each box and schlep them around. Especially if it's all within a day or two. Here's to you never having to move your wine! that might require surgery afterward.

Come to think of it your locker could jack the rent on you and you'd probably have to pay it...

We just bought a place... and moved in owning 7? bottles of wine. (Mostly champagne, as gifts). We'd managed to drink thru the rest before the move. Now I have a lovely basement to fill up. I need to decide on a type of wine rack / fridge / shelving/etc.

Best to those who have to move, uggg.

And Happy Birthday folks.

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:you are making me hungry!!!

Tonight's menu will be tuna empanadas, and jamón Iberico with cheese empanadas, some fresh bread from León and a green salad. They don't do much with veggies so I have to make a special effort to get them into my diet. When we were out for lunch today I ordered a grilled veggie platter. Ddeuddeg ordered a major platter of calamari. It was incredible! I did taste some of the lamb--I wish I had ordered it, but I couldn't eat such a heavy meal! Just finished dinner. Add cherries to it and two bottles of wine. Dinner is over by 11:05 pm! Must be a record!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
edthebedhead wrote:We just bought a place... and moved in owning 7? bottles of wine. (Mostly champagne, as gifts). We'd managed to drink thru the rest before the move. Now I have a lovely basement to fill up. I need to decide on a type of wine rack / fridge / shelving/etc.

Congrats. Enjoy the new place, and trying to build up your wine.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Having grilled beef ribs. SWMBO in charge, so not smoked today. Need to select a bottle of wine to pair with it. I did do a 35 mile ride with a fair amount of climbing. So the hardest part of the day is not the wine selection.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bahwm wrote:Tonight's menu will be tuna empanadas, and jamón Iberico with cheese empanadas, some fresh bread from León and a green salad. They don't do much with veggies so I have to make a special effort to get them into my diet. When we were out for lunch today I ordered a grilled veggie platter. Ddeuddeg ordered a major platter of calamari. It was incredible! I did taste some of the lamb--I wish I had ordered it, but I couldn't eat such a heavy meal! Just finished dinner. Add cherries to it and two bottles of wine. Dinner is over by 11:05 pm! Must be a record!

Wine selection on the what are you drinking page.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:Tonight's menu will be tuna empanadas, and jamón Iberico with cheese empanadas, some fresh bread from León and a green salad. They don't do much with veggies so I have to make a special effort to get them into my diet. When we were out for lunch today I ordered a grilled veggie platter. Ddeuddeg ordered a major platter of calamari. It was incredible! I did taste some of the lamb--I wish I had ordered it, but I couldn't eat such a heavy meal! Just finished dinner. Add cherries to it and two bottles of wine. Dinner is over by 11:05 pm! Must be a record!

I am sooooo jealous!!!!!and really hungry!!

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom

Those meals sound epic! You're so lucky not only to be traveling with friends with whom you can share meals (so more tastes than if it were just the two of you), but especially that they're locals! Very jealous. (We're having leftover pizza and pasta tonight. Woo hoo! All things considered, I'd prefer the tongue in vinaigrette.)

Keep those reports coming!

ThunderThighs

Staff

I had Arby's.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

bahwm

InFrom wrote:Those meals sound epic! You're so lucky not only to be traveling with friends with whom you can share meals (so more tastes than if it were just the two of you), but especially that they're locals! Very jealous. (We're having leftover pizza and pasta tonight. Woo hoo! All things considered, I'd prefer the tongue in vinaigrette.)

Keep those reports coming!

Thanks for your comments! You are sooooo right-- doing things with the locals is the way to go! They know all the good stuff and where to get the local specialties. And, these friends are willing to share just a taste of something. I forgot: we had two different cheeses at the end of tonight's meal! :tongue :

bahwm

ThunderThighs wrote:I had Arby's.

So sorry. I hope you had some horsey sauce with that! I'm sure you couldn't have wine with that.

MarkDaSpark

So who's starting the Pub tonight???

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:So who's starting the Pub tonight???

Not it! I can't remember all the rules, and I need all the beauty sleep I can get.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20
MarkDaSpark wrote:So who's starting the Pub tonight???

Ill do it.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
cortot20 wrote:Ill do it.

Be sure to memorize the 75 rules ahead of time!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

ThunderThighs

Staff

cortot20 wrote:Ill do it.

I'll lock all the threads just for fun!

FORUM MODERATOR

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
ThunderThighs wrote:I had Arby's.

Does that beat McDonald's?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"