+ Add a Comment

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bhodilee wrote:This two pub Hershey's Kiss is getting old.

Not everyone is my Facebook Friend and I need some feedback since I've never hired anyone:

Am I Sugar Daddy if I instantly put a resume in the NO file if it contains bad grammar? It's not like I've never been guilty of using bad grammar, but I feel that if you're going to apply for a job where one of the advertised factors is "attention to detail" and you submit something with poor grammar, you're probably not the droid I'm looking for.

No, you're not. Bad grammar or spelling would indicate they lack that "attention to detail" that you need.

Speaking of bad grammar, have you seen the meme where instead of random letters, you have to plug in the proper word? Your/You're or There/Their/They're

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

I missed the Red Knight with Sword on Horse!!! Oh Noes!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk

Not everyone is my Facebook Friend and I need some feedback since I've never hired anyone:

Am I Sugar Daddy if I instantly put a resume in the NO file if it contains bad grammar? It's not like I've never been guilty of using bad grammar, but I feel that if you're going to apply for a job where one of the advertised factors is "attention to detail" and you submit something with poor grammar, you're probably not the droid I'm looking for.

If it's a single instance on a 3 page resume, I'd perhaps ask about it during an interview (assuming everything else was appropriate for the job). Single instance on a 1 page, sparse resume, or multiple grammar errors probably just reject.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
joelsisk wrote:If it's a single instance on a 3 page resume, I'd perhaps ask about it during an interview (assuming everything else was appropriate for the job). Single instance on a 1 page, sparse resume, or multiple grammar errors probably just reject.

Also, if it's a 3 page resume, reject ;)

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Call him in for an interview, then wad up the resume, throw it in his face and tell him to get the hell out.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
North316 wrote:Call him in for an interview, then wad up the resume, throw it in his face and tell him to get the hell out.

Yes.

I have a hole in my Napa plans this afternoon. Any recommendations? Was thinking of checking out Buena vista if I can get to it. Mostly in the oakville/Rutherford area, and trying to avoid repeats of places I've done before.

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
mother wrote:Also, if it's a 3 page resume, reject ;)

funny. in my world, we reject the 1 pagers.

North316

joelsisk wrote:funny. in my world, we reject the 1 pagers.

One page is the standard. Two if there is a cover letter. A resume isn't the proper venue to give your entire educational and work history, it is a summary of the key points, with the rest to be discussed during the interview process.

My CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mother wrote:Also, if it's a 3 page resume, reject ;)

Ha! My top choice had a SIX page Resume! My initial reaction was, "Mentos you," but after going through it I realized, well, you kinda have the best qualifications even if you're overly wordy.

My boss looked at me like an Hot Tamales when I told him the ones with bad grammar were immediately discarded because I'm a snobby Hot Tamales. One of the guys would have probably worked out, but it's a term position, not a term to full time and I'm betting he thinks he'll latch on full after the term. Nope, take your bad grammar and bother someone else!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Call him in for an interview, then wad up the resume, throw it in his face and tell him to get the hell out.

I actually had this exact thought.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

North316 wrote:One page is the standard. Two if there is a cover letter. A resume isn't the proper venue to give your entire educational and work history, it is a summary of the key points, with the rest to be discussed during the interview process.

I think that depends on the position. If you're an accountant or similar, than yes, one page is sufficient. In Joel's line of work, which is HIGHLY technical, I'm sure they want as much concise information as possible so they're not interviewing asshats that have no chance but write convincingly.

My deal is entry level work so not much needed. Pulse, check. Milk Duds, not check. Want an interview?

MarkDaSpark

Itwdswafo wrote:Yes.

I have a hole in my Napa plans this afternoon. Any recommendations? Was thinking of checking out Buena vista if I can get to it. Mostly in the oakville/Rutherford area, and trying to avoid repeats of places I've done before.

Buena Vista is over more by Sonoma.

Maybe Franciscan (which I think is Oakville).

Corison. Duh!

William Harrison.

Louis M. Martini.

Conn Creek.

Mumm.

Silver Oak

bhodilee

Because I know that everyone is obsessed with every facet of my life and hangs on my every word like I was the previous episode of your favorite show:

The problem with my computer and my S4 was in fact the cord I was using. Finally remembered to bring the cord that came with it to work today and instantly recognized as a drive. So will be buying a Micro-B cable sometime this weekend.

North316

bhodilee wrote:I think that depends on the position. If you're an accountant or similar, than yes, one page is sufficient. In Joel's line of work, which is HIGHLY technical, I'm sure they want as much concise information as possible so they're not interviewing asshats that have no chance but write convincingly.

My deal is entry level work so not much needed. Pulse, check. Milk Duds, not check. Want an interview?

Accounting IS highly technical, though I guess I understand your point, however, that is where the good old "additional information available upon request" fits in perfectly on the one-pager.

My CT

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Accounting IS highly technical, though I guess I understand your point, however, that is where the good old "additional information available upon request" fits in perfectly on the one-pager.

yes, as in not engineer, chemist, hard science technical. My wife is an accountant, I'm not dumb enough to knock you guys ;)

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:Because I know that everyone is obsessed with every facet of my life and hangs on my every word like I was the previous episode of your favorite show:

The problem with my computer and my S4 was in fact the cord I was using. Finally remembered to bring the cord that came with it to work today and instantly recognized as a drive. So will be buying a Micro-B cable sometime this weekend.

Excellent news! Because you know we were all on pins & needles waiting to hear the final result!!!

Let us know what color cable you choose to accentuate your work computer!

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Excellent news! Because you know we were all on pins & needles waiting to hear the final result!!!

Let us know what color cable you choose to accentuate your work computer!

poop brown

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:poop brown

But won't that contrast harshly with your Pretty, pretty Pink Princess motif at work?

Edit: You said Poop!

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
bhodilee wrote:Because I know that everyone is obsessed with every facet of my life and hangs on my every word like I was the previous episode of your favorite show:

lol, you posting about it the other day reminded me I needed to order a new one for my work computer. 6 foot from Amazon for around $3 w/ Prime shipping. Got it a few days ago, working great. Not Amazon fulfilled anymore, so Prime shipping is gone, replaced by a $.49 fee for ground:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0086WE8FW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bhodilee

tdedek wrote:lol, you posting about it the other day reminded me I needed to order a new one for my work computer. 6 foot from Amazon for around $3 w/ Prime shipping. Got it a few days ago, working great. Not Amazon fulfilled anymore, so Prime shipping is gone, replaced by a $.49 fee for ground:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0086WE8FW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I keep an on-call position at a huge furniture/electronics store (you folks in Dallas know the one) specifically for the discount. I can pick one up there for like two bucks. The markup on cables is appalling.

tdedek

Not at all. I agree with you 100% and do the same thing. They also get low priority if they are longer than 2 pages. They always get points if they keep it to one page, while still conveying a lot of information and work experience. But spelling and grammar are at the top of my list.

Reread this post a few times just to be sure, haha

tdedek

bhodilee wrote:I keep an on-call position at a huge furniture/electronics store (you folks in Dallas know the one) specifically for the discount. I can pick one up there for like two bucks. The markup on cables is appalling.

That it is. At the end of high school, beginning of college, I worked at Best Buy as a computer tech. Discount there was nice - Cost + 5% at the time.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

Didn't see this one on FB, but I'd say it may make you an asshat, but you're totally justified in that conclusion. I'd wait until you get a bunch more resumes in, though, so you can see if this is one of the better ones. I was appalled at the quality (or lack thereof) of the resumes I was reviewing a few months ago.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
Itwdswafo wrote:Yes.

Call Scott and Jana

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
MarkDaSpark wrote:Buena Vista is over more by Sonoma.

Maybe Franciscan (which I think is Oakville).

Corison. Duh!

William Harrison.

Louis M. Martini.

Conn Creek.

Mumm.

Silver Oak

Thanks! Stopped by Louis M Martini, forgot I've been wanting to go there. And darn! I should have gone to Franciscan, I saw it and had the time, but forgot it was on your list by then. Tomorrow is going to be a bit fast paced. Opus One, Grgich, Pedroncelli, Foppiano, and Iron Horse.

MarkDaSpark

tdedek wrote:That it is. At the end of high school, beginning of college, I worked at Best Buy as a computer tech. Discount there was nice - Cost + 5% at the time.

My son used to work locally here in their Geek Squad. He liked the discount, but then they changed it (IIRC, to Retail less the discount, so a lot less deal).

Sadly, it wasn't available to family members.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Itwdswafo wrote:Thanks! Stopped by Louis M Martini, forgot I've been wanting to go there. And darn! I should have gone to Franciscan, I saw it and had the time, but forgot it was on your list by then. Tomorrow is going to be a bit fast paced. Opus One, Grgich, Pedroncelli, Foppiano, and Iron Horse.

Mmm Iron Horse.

Make sure to mention woot at Ped and IH.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bhodilee

klezman wrote:Didn't see this one on FB, but I'd say it may make you an asshat, but you're totally justified in that conclusion. I'd wait until you get a bunch more resumes in, though, so you can see if this is one of the better ones. I was appalled at the quality (or lack thereof) of the resumes I was reviewing a few months ago.

Posting closed, we got 12, 5 went into the bad grammar pile, 3 went into the um no pile and four went into the sure why not, we gotta interview someone pile.

This post, woulda been in the grammar pile

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
cheron98 wrote:Mmm Iron Horse.

Make sure to mention woot at Ped and IH.

I referred a friend of mine to Ped a couple weeks ago for a pick-up. Also had him mention woot, my name and prior purchases. Made absolutely no difference
He did mention there was only a single girl in the tasting room, perhaps new...

CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
bhodilee wrote:I think that depends on the position. If you're an accountant or similar, than yes, one page is sufficient. In Joel's line of work, which is HIGHLY technical, I'm sure they want as much concise information as possible so they're not interviewing asshats that have no chance but write convincingly.

I think it depends on how much experience you have in hiring people. (The grand "you" not "you specifically")

It has to fit on front and back of one sheet of paper. It must be concise and give you just enough of the salient information that you can select them for interview.

If you can't turn raw data into concise information about your professional self you won't do any better with other topics.

Long resumes are never a good sign.

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:I referred a friend of mine to Ped a couple weeks ago for a pick-up. Also had him mention woot, my name and prior purchases. Made absolutely no difference
He did mention there was only a single girl in the tasting room, perhaps new...

I think you have to buy a minimum number of bottles for any discount. Seems like I bought only 1 or 2 the first tour, and no discount, but last year bought more than 3, and discount.

Edit: And about time you posted here!!!

bhodilee

mother wrote:I think it depends on how much experience you have in hiring people. (The grand "you" not "you specifically")

It has to fit on front and back of one sheet of paper. It must be concise and give you just enough of the salient information that you can select them for interview.

If you can't turn raw data into concise information about your professional self you won't do any better with other topics.

Long resumes are never a good sign.

Eh, there's a 99% chance we're gonna hire one of our summer interns anyway. The person I wanted didn't apply.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:I think you have to buy a minimum number of bottles for any discount. Seems like I bought only 1 or 2 the first tour, and no discount, but last year bought more than 3, and discount.

Edit: And about time you posted here!!!

I seem to remember Ed, the "'ed' in Ped", posting any wooters got WC pricing. Didn't happen.

And if you keep cancelling your cellar raid I can't even drink your wine, so why post here?

CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:I have been! Someone else is slacking!

Sooooorrrrrryyyyyy!

Some of us have to work for a living!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:I seem to remember Ed, the "'ed' in Ped", posting any wooters got WC pricing. Didn't happen.

And if you keep cancelling your cellar raid I can't even drink your wine, so why post here?

You can walk up to the Wootception. Or maybe back from it?

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:Sooooorrrrrryyyyyy!

Inconceivable!!!

bhodilee

otolith wrote:Sooooorrrrrryyyyyy!

I find this post offensive

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

This story seemed best in the Sparky Pub.

My sister and her family woke up in the wee hours yesterday morning to their car on fire. Arson. (Notice that arson and arse have the same root.) It totalled the car. Turns out the arsonist(s) started mutliple fires, burning two cars, a boat and damaging two garages that a fire was started between. And numerous garbage cans. Last time (so this wasn't the first) it was just garbage cans.

There were other cars that they tried to burn. Their son was coming home from duty and put out a fire under a car before it could catch, and saw someone else putting out a fire under another car. Their son is currently a policeman (and a volunteer fireman.) Helped that he was in uniform when the homeowner wakes up at 3AM to find some guy using his hose to put out a fire next to his car.

Makes me angry to think this is someone's idea of "fun".

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee

polarbear22 wrote:This story seemed best in the Sparky Pub.

My sister and her family woke up in the wee hours yesterday morning to their car on fire. Arson. (Notice that arson and arse have the same root.) It totalled the car. Turns out the arsonist(s) started mutliple fires, burning two cars, a boat and damaging two garages that a fire was started between. And numerous garbage cans. Last time (so this wasn't the first) it was just garbage cans.

There were other cars that they tried to burn. Their son was coming home from duty and put out a fire under a car before it could catch, and saw someone else putting out a fire under another car. Their son is currently a policeman (and a volunteer fireman.) Helped that he was in uniform when the homeowner wakes up at 3AM to find some guy using his hose to put out a fire next to his car.

Makes me angry to think this is someone's idea of "fun".

It's a kid and he's quite likely to graduate to much worse things.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
bhodilee wrote:It's a kid and he's quite likely to graduate to much worse things.

Likely. And already going from trash cans to cars and garages.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar