Kunde Reserve Sonoma Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2-Pack
$49.99 $̶9̶7̶.̶0̶0̶ 48% off List Price
2007 Kunde Family Estate Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Ok Tour #1 attendees, you were there on Wednesday last summer. How is this? The entry level offerings we've had here have been great QPR given a bit of age, rather like the Ped's.

[edit]
Mill, question answered...

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

I don't remember if we had this one on the rpm tour. I seem to remember having 2-3 Cab Sauvs available for tasting at Kunde. I purchased the 2009 vintage of this same wine (for $36/bottle + tax).

Back-to-back 2 bottle deals and this one ships to OH? I am IN.

That's IN as in IN on this deal, not IN for Indiana, because it doesn't ship to Indiana.... and I don't live there, so....

EDIT: Can't talk about a visit to Kunde without mentioning their outdoor Mountain-Top Tasting Room. What an incredible view and big thanks to rpm, woopdedoo, WD, Neil and anyone else who may have had a hand in getting us a trip up the mountain as part of the tour. One of the "best of the best" of many wonderful highlights from the rpm tour.

cortot20

quality posts: 163 Private Messages cortot20

I like kunde, I really enjoyed a tasting my wife and I did there 3 years ago. (pre dr. toots)i Did not try their reserve tasting so I cannot speak to this wine but I have noticed kunde wines more and more at places like trader joes. The write up is an excellent sales job though. Makes the wine sound excellent.

CT

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

I've been quite pleased with my various Kunde purchases. I haven't tried this offering but I'd assume the QPR would be consistent with the high level of Kunde wines I've experienced in the past.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson

No notes. Ask cmaldoon. He seemed to have the best notes. We purchased the 09 CS. Can't recall if we got to try an 07. Good vintage, so I think I would have made a mental note if we had.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

2007 vintage CA Cabernet Sauvignon...

Fred, how many did you buy?

maitredgreg2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maitredgreg2
loveladyelectric wrote:2007 vintage CA Cabernet Sauvignon...

Fred, how many did you buy?

Check out the Cellar Tracker Reviews on this wine. It should give you an idea what you're in store for.

maitredgreg2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maitredgreg2
maitredgreg2 wrote:Check out the Cellar Tracker Reviews on this wine. It should give you an idea what you're in store for.

I think this 2007 vintage missed!!! If anyone can tell me otherwise, please let me know. My comment on this wine are being blocked. Wow

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm

I don't recall if we tasted this on the 2010 or 2012 Tours, but Kunde is a solid winery with a long history and generally very good wines. 2007 was a very good vintage for Cabernet and this is a pretty reasonable price. I am glad to see Kunde here - we don't see them often enough - and was happy to lay down half a case of this for consumption in the late teens.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

flowerchild59

quality posts: 25 Private Messages flowerchild59

The kunde wines I have had in the past have been a wonderful tasting experience. I am buying a couple today for Christmas eve dinner. Thanks for offering them.

On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.

cashflowdh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cashflowdh

This is a fantastic wine and 2007 was a great year for Sonoma and Napa. Valley Cabernets. I have had this wine at the winery and have also been able to buy a few bottles locally for around $36 each. You won't be disappointed in this wine.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
rpm wrote:I don't recall if we tasted this on the 2010 or 2012 Tours, but Kunde is a solid winery with a long history and generally very good wines. 2007 was a very good vintage for Cabernet and this is a pretty reasonable price. I am glad to see Kunde here - we don't see them often enough - and was happy to lay down half a case of this for consumption in the late teens.

For those of us with limited wine storage, do you think this will drink well within the year?

rpm

pseudogourmet98 wrote:For those of us with limited wine storage, do you think this will drink well within the year?

Probably, but it should be entering its relatively mute phase within the next year or so. Remember, ageworthy California Cabernet usually enjoys an initial period of fruit-dominated good (if a little tannic) drinking (unlike traditionally made Bordeaux) until the age of around 5-6, then settles into a period where it seems 'dumb' or 'mute' as the fruit flavors and aromas begin to recede and the bottle aromas and complexity develop. That phase lasts until around 10 or so, depending on the vintage and the wine. Based on my 50+ years of drinking California Cabernet, I know that my preference is for Cabernet that has been through and emerged from the mute phase. That's why my rule of thumb is not to drink Cabernet before it's at least 10.

Of course, not everyone has this preference and I have been known to enjoy younger, fruit-dominated (but not fruit forward) Cabernet from time to time as well. YMMV as they say.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

abyra

quality posts: 1 Private Messages abyra
rpm wrote:Probably, but it should be entering its relatively mute phase within the next year or so. Remember, ageworthy California Cabernet usually enjoys an initial period of fruit-dominated good (if a little tannic) drinking (unlike traditionally made Bordeaux) until the age of around 5-6, then settles into a period where it seems 'dumb' or 'mute' as the fruit flavors and aromas begin to recede and the bottle aromas and complexity develop. That phase lasts until around 10 or so, depending on the vintage and the wine. Based on my 50+ years of drinking California Cabernet, I know that my preference is for Cabernet that has been through and emerged from the mute phase. That's why my rule of thumb is not to drink Cabernet before it's at least 10.

Of course, not everyone has this preference and I have been known to enjoy younger, fruit-dominated (but not fruit forward) Cabernet from time to time as well. YMMV as they say.

Interesting observation RPM, or lack of in my case. In for one

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
chipgreen wrote:Back-to-back 2 bottle deals and this one ships to OH? I am IN.

Your comment implies that this offer and yesterday's offer are similar. And in a couple superficial ways (2 bottle offer, 2007 California vintage wines), they are.

But I think the big draws for yesterday's offer -- low cost of entry, perceived great QPR-- are absent today.

Not saying this wine isn't potentially great, or that it isn't worth the asking price. But yesterday's offer came in under $45 shipped, whereas today's is over $60 shipped. Yesterday's appeared to be well below retail, assuming it could even be had at retail. (It also had that exclusive appeal as a wine not widely available elsewhere.) Today's wine is available from other sources for only a few dollars more than the total shipped price here.

What I'm getting at is this: yesterday's offer is the kind of 'bargain' offer many of us have been waiting to see for a long time. I felt compelled to buy yesterday just to support the idea of those kinds of low-cost offers. (Low cost in an absolute--not relative--sense.) Today's offer appears to be a fair, though not outstanding, bargain -- but at over $30 per bottle, not inexpensive.

I'm sure enthusiasm for it will be good, especially from those who have visited Kunde before. But it doesn't hold the same kind of appeal that resulted in an early sellout yesterday, at least not for me. I would consider this offer on its own merits if I wasn't on a SIWBM, but it's not a compelling enough bargain to get me to break one, like yesterday's offer did.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 43 Private Messages fredrinaldi
moondigger wrote:Your comment implies that this offer and yesterday's offer are similar. And in a couple superficial ways (2 bottle offer, 2007 California vintage wines), they are.

But I think the big draws for yesterday's offer -- low cost of entry, perceived great QPR-- are absent today.

Not saying this wine isn't potentially great, or that it isn't worth the asking price. But yesterday's offer came in under $45 shipped, whereas today's is over $60 shipped. Yesterday's appeared to be well below retail, assuming it could even be had at retail. (It also had that exclusive appeal as a wine not widely available elsewhere.) Today's wine is available from other sources for only a few dollars more than the total shipped price here.

What I'm getting at is this: yesterday's offer is the kind of 'bargain' offer many of us have been waiting to see for a long time. I felt compelled to buy yesterday just to support the idea of those kinds of low-cost offers. (Low cost in an absolute--not relative--sense.) Today's offer appears to be a fair, though not outstanding, bargain -- but at over $30 per bottle, not inexpensive.

I'm sure enthusiasm for it will be good, especially from those who have visited Kunde before. But it doesn't hold the same kind of appeal that resulted in an early sellout yesterday, at least not for me. I would consider this offer on its own merits if I wasn't on a SIWBM, but it's not a compelling enough bargain to get me to break one, like yesterday's offer did.

Tend to agree, a nice wine, but at $31 a bottle to calie (7 shipping + 5 tax = 62 bucks) I have to chew on this one abit.

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS

I'm a big fan of Kunde. Recently visited their winery but unfortunately neither tasted the reserve wines or made it to the mountain top to see the sights.

Nonetheless I came away impressed with the new vintage releases as well as the knowledgeable and friendly tasting room staff.

I have been drinking and enjoying their 2007 Cabernet and Zinfandel quite a bit (non reserve releases) and have purchased several cases. I've already purchased this exact offering from Wineshopper.com at a similar price but have yet to try it as I too like my built to last Cabernet with some bottle age.

This seems like a pretty good price what is likely a great reserve Cabernet from an excellent vintage. I am wishing now that I had tried one of these to see if I needed more!

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 43 Private Messages fredrinaldi

This might not be the place but a BIG THANKS to WW Customer service, had a problem with one of the two Salt Block's purchsed in Feb, received my replacement last week. great job.

sagce

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sagce
moondigger wrote:Your comment implies that this offer and yesterday's offer are similar. And in a couple superficial ways (2 bottle offer, 2007 California vintage wines), they are.

I am glad you posted this-couldn't have said it better myself - looking forward to another deal like yesterday - maybe Kunde is more "refined" than Geyser, but not by much

Kunde4thGen

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Kunde4thGen

Hi Wine Wooters,

Kunde4thGen here,

I've opened up the cellar doors on this one. We had a small amount (40 cases to be exact) of our 2007 Reserve Cabernet left in our cellars and thought what a great opportunity to launch it with our friends at wine.woot. We have not had this wine available in our Tasting Room for some time. Regularly retailing at $45 / bottle, we feel this is quite a great deal.

As the description reads, the fruit was harvested from our Estate vineyards above our Mountain Top tasting site, for those of your have been on that excursion. Our winemaker enhanced this Cab with a touch of Petit Verdot, intensifying the lovely cherry and dark chocolate components with a sassy touch of spice. Hope you enjoy!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Kunde4thGen wrote:Hi Wine Wooters,

Kunde4thGen here,

I've opened up the cellar doors on this one. We had a small amount (40 cases to be exact) of our 2007 Reserve Cabernet left in our cellars and thought what a great opportunity to launch it with our friends at wine.woot. We have not had this wine available in our Tasting Room for some time. Regularly retailing at $45 / bottle, we feel this is quite a great deal.

As the description reads, the fruit was harvested from our Estate vineyards above our Mountain Top tasting site, for those of your have been on that excursion. Our winemaker enhanced this Cab with a touch of Petit Verdot, intensifying the lovely cherry and dark chocolate components with a sassy touch of spice. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks for Jumping on the boards. This is a solid offering. Much appreciated.

moondigger

sagce wrote:I am glad you posted this-couldn't have said it better myself - looking forward to another deal like yesterday - maybe Kunde is more "refined" than Geyser, but not by much

To be clear, I was not saying anything about the quality of the Kunde wine, which I haven't tried myself. It might be fantastic.

I'm just saying it's not the same kind of offer as yesterday's. I would like to see more lower-cost offers in general. I'm thinking of offers of two, three or four bottles with a final, delivered cost of less than $50.

Some might think that last option (four bottles delivered for less than $50) is unrealistic, but I don't. Woot has had plenty of full case offers on decent wines for $120-$140 delivered. Since shipping a third of a case should cost them less than shipping a full case, the math should work out.

Apologies for straying so far off-topic.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
moondigger wrote:To be clear, I was not saying anything about the quality of the Kunde wine, which I haven't tried myself. It might be fantastic.

I'm just saying it's not the same kind of offer as yesterday's. I would like to see more lower-cost offers in general. I'm thinking of offers of two, three or four bottles with a final, delivered cost of less than $50.

Some might think that last option (four bottles delivered for less than $50) is unrealistic, but I don't. Woot has had plenty of full case offers on decent wines for $120-$140 delivered. Since shipping a third of a case should cost them less than shipping a full case, the math should work out.

Apologies for straying so far off-topic.

Just to clarify, and then get back on-topic...it does cost less to ship 4 bottles, rather than 12, however, it does not cost two-thirds less to do so. Shipping cost per bottle is significantly higher for 4 bottles than for 12, which is why, unfortunately, we don't see offers like yesterday, or the ones you are hoping for, very often. In order for WW and the wineries to both make some money on the lower cost per bottle offers, they have to up the quantity. I would still love the option to purchase a smaller quantity at a slightly higher per bottle price, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

As for today's offer. Good pedigree, great vintage, solid AVA, decent price. If I didn't have a number of other limiting factors I would be in. Keep in mind people, it's now 2013, 2007 is considered a library vintage by a lot of wineries, if they even have any left.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

wm4kunde

quality posts: 8 Private Messages wm4kunde

It is always fun to crack open the library every now and then, leave it to the winery to take care of the storage and aging so you don't have too! A great opportunity to find a 2007 vintage that shows the exceptional quality of the Kunde Family Estate in the heart of the Sonoma Valley.

moondigger

North316 wrote:it does cost less to ship 4 bottles, rather than 12, however, it does not cost two-thirds less to do so. Shipping cost per bottle is significantly higher for 4 bottles than for 12, which is why, unfortunately, we don't see offers like yesterday, or the ones you are hoping for, very often.

True, but one-third of $120 is $40, not $50. That's why I'm saying the math could probably work. (Four bottles delivered for $50.)

And in an attempt to steer this back to the topic at hand, I agree with everything you said about today's offer.

wm4kunde

wm4kunde wrote:It is always fun to crack open the library every now and then, leave it to the winery to take care of the storage and aging so you don't have too! A great opportunity to find a 2007 vintage that shows the exceptional quality of the Kunde Family Estate in the heart of the Sonoma Valley.

wm4kunde

wm4kunde wrote:

Here is a photo from 1,450 feet of elevation at fall during harvest. Our Reserve Cabernet and the wonderful Petite Verdot blended into it, are grown with a view...

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 188 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Darn you WD and RPM!!

I was thinking I could safely skip this, but now I have to re-think that.

How long can these cellar for?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

wm4kunde

MarkDaSpark wrote:Darn you WD and RPM!!

I was thinking I could safely skip this, but now I have to re-think that.

How long can these cellar for?

I love the quote above about drinking a little early, say the first 5 years, or holding till at least 10 years of bottle aging. This wine show very nice fruit now and structurally has softened nicely. If you tend to like silky wines, hold for another 5 years. I am a California native and tend to drink a little early (in the life of a wine, not in the morning), so I'm thinking this coming holiday season!

rpm

North316 wrote:Keep in mind people, it's now 2013, 2007 is considered a library vintage by a lot of wineries, if they even have any left.

Let me point out that back in the '60s and early '70s, top Cabernet was rarely released before it was at least 4, and often 5 or 6, years old. IIRC, the excellent '64 BV Georges de Latour wasn't released until around 1970.

Note also people, as you consider this and other offers: for Cab and most other reds, after 2007, 2009 was good, but then a series of less than thrilling, or 'difficult', vintages until 2012 which looks to have been quite good.

I look at vintages very hard for reds and ageworthy whites - less so for current drinking whites - and try to buy only superior vintages. The '07s are mostly gone from the market, and the '09s are beginning to go. After that, it's going to be several years before we start to see the '12s. I'm fairly well layered, but if you're not, you should be picking up any '07s and 09's you find you think you'd like (and of course, snapping up the occasional '05 that turns up....).

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

coolac5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coolac5

Can anyone explain why certain wines are designated as "Black Tie Buy"? Perhaps I am overlooking where this was explained, so any help is much appreciated!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
coolac5 wrote:Can anyone explain why certain wines are designated as "Black Tie Buy"? Perhaps I am overlooking where this was explained, so any help is much appreciated!

Price and/or rarity and/or supply

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

I love the Kunde Zin .... hmmmm a Reserve Cab? should I? someone help me out we know I can't make my mind up

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
mommadeb1 wrote:I love the Kunde Zin .... hmmmm a Reserve Cab? should I? someone help me out we know I can't make my mind up

Buy. I can't afford it right now, so this way I can live vicariously through you.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
jmdavidson wrote:No notes. Ask cmaldoon. He seemed to have the best notes. We purchased the 09 CS. Can't recall if we got to try an 07. Good vintage, so I think I would have made a mental note if we had.

I won't be home until 1700 PST but I will surely check then. I remember them being decent but not $40-50 decent. $25-$30 decent...possibly. Ill check back.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 188 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
wm4kunde wrote:I love the quote above about drinking a little early, say the first 5 years, or holding till at least 10 years of bottle aging. This wine show very nice fruit now and structurally has softened nicely. If you tend to like silky wines, hold for another 5 years. I am a California native and tend to drink a little early (in the life of a wine, not in the morning), so I'm thinking this coming holiday season!

Kunde Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (2)
Speed to first woot: 1m 10.007s
First sucker: mill
Last wooter to woot: MarkDaSpark
Last purchase: a minute ago

Darn you and WD and RPM!!!

Edit: For those interested, Kunde was the winery for Humbug! and Polyphemus Woot Cellar Wines.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

pseudogourmet98

wm4kunde wrote:I love the quote above about drinking a little early, say the first 5 years, or holding till at least 10 years of bottle aging. This wine show very nice fruit now and structurally has softened nicely. If you tend to like silky wines, hold for another 5 years. I am a California native and tend to drink a little early (in the life of a wine, not in the morning), so I'm thinking this coming holiday season!

Early in the life of the wine...
Early in the day...
The coming holiday season...
Sounds good to me!
In for two for Christmas brunch!

pseudogourmet98

rpm wrote:Probably, but it should be entering its relatively mute phase within the next year or so. Remember, ageworthy California Cabernet usually enjoys an initial period of fruit-dominated good (if a little tannic) drinking (unlike traditionally made Bordeaux) until the age of around 5-6, then settles into a period where it seems 'dumb' or 'mute' as the fruit flavors and aromas begin to recede and the bottle aromas and complexity develop. That phase lasts until around 10 or so, depending on the vintage and the wine. Based on my 50+ years of drinking California Cabernet, I know that my preference is for Cabernet that has been through and emerged from the mute phase. That's why my rule of thumb is not to drink Cabernet before it's at least 10.

And a belated thank you to RPM for a succinct tutorial on the dumb/mute phase. I thought I posted this earlier but don't see it (on a mobile device and may have lost it before posting?). Anyway I am learning much about evaluating wines from these threads and wanted to let you know I appreciated your shared wisdom.