quality posts: 1643 Private Messages Cesare

Geyser Peak Winery Red Wine 2-Pack
$34.99 $̶6̶8̶.̶0̶0̶ 49% off List Price
2007 Geyser Peak Winery Red Wine

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

HERE stands a cheap 2-pack for all you complainers out there. All that and WD managed to keep the price down AND score a great deal. BOW before WD... BOW!!!!!

OR at least buy!!!
;-)

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
cmaldoon wrote:HERE stands a cheap 2-pack for all you complainers out there. All that and WD managed to keep the price down AND score a great deal. BOW before WD... BOW!!!!!

OR at least buy!!!
;-)

You're right, I think this is the cheapest 2-pack we've seen on woot. Kind of nuts, actually. Geyser Peak must have forgotten about this one and so we benefit. Well, those who aren't sticking to their WBM's of various sorts are, at least.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

A Bordeaux'ish blend from a great AVA, great producer, and great vintage, all for only $35!

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

Barreled then blended or vice versa? This sure is tempting for a mid priced wine. Love the singular label instead of the front and back!

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

frogstachio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogstachio
bsevern wrote:A Bordeaux blend from a great AVA, great producer, and great vintage, all for only $35!

Not sure where in Bordeaux you're finding much Malbec. Center Bank, maybe?

Moving on, anyone know why the logo is different on this label than on all other Geyser Peak bottles? If it was bottled in 2010, it was presumably labeled then as well, so it wouldn't have been a change made by Accolade. Pondering out loud...

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
cmaldoon wrote:HERE stands a cheap 2-pack for all you complainers out there. All that and WD managed to keep the price down AND score a great deal. BOW before WD... BOW!!!!!

OR at least buy!!!
;-)

I'd be all over this if it shipped to Ohio. Still happy to see a reasonably priced 2-bottle deal, it has been awhile. Geyser Peak, no less. Well done!

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
frogstachio wrote:Not sure where in Bordeaux you're finding much Malbec. Center Bank, maybe?

Malbec is one of the five Bordeaux varietals. You'll have to stick that "Center Bank" zinger back in your pocket for future use.

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm

This looks like it's worth a flyer! It will be quite ripe-ish - being Alexander Valley and 14.5%, but these are varietals you usually don't see in these proportions in California. Get one for fun, two if you think it may be serious stuff.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 18 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

I am currently supposed to be drinking more and buying less until I figure out a storage solution, but I could certainly clear out space for this before it arrives. This looks interesting.

Any chance we will see some tasting notes of a random bottle that may have fallen off a truck somewhere?

abyra

quality posts: 1 Private Messages abyra

wow, I havent met a Geyser Peak wine I didn't like and I was doing so well drinking down my cellar...in for two.

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
chipgreen wrote:Malbec is one of the five Bordeaux varietals. You'll have to stick that "Center Bank" zinger back in your pocket for future use.

Don't forget the rarely used Carmenere, making it six.

Note: Edited for early morning spicyness.

geyserpeakwinery

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geyserpeakwinery

This was a find way back in the cellar (no lie). Never been released (hence the un-traditional label)but drinking really well. The Malbec is from AV and adds a nice fruit-forward component. Glad to hear the offering's a good one!

frogstachio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogstachio
chipgreen wrote:Malbec is one of the five Bordeaux varietals. You'll have to stick that "Center Bank" zinger back in your pocket for future use.

I realize Malbec is an allowable varietal. But, though far from an expert, I'm not aware of any chateau that uses any meaningful amount of Bordeaux in their blend, much less the 83% used in the blend of this offering.

So, I guess I'm left with a general question for the community: can a blend in which Malbec is predominant over Cab and Merlot be considered a Bordeaux blend? If so, I apologize for the offense.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
frogstachio wrote:I realize Malbec is an allowable varietal. But, though far from an expert, I'm not aware of any chateau that uses any meaningful amount of Bordeaux in their blend, much less the 83% used in the blend of this offering.

So, I guess I'm left with a general question for the community: can a blend in which Malbec is predominant over Cab and Merlot be considered a Bordeaux blend? If so, I apologize for the offense.

No offense. I think we all just thought it was funny. Any blend with the 5 BdX varietals is a BDX blend, I think. You'd probably having a hard time passing it off as a "right bank-styled" wine, though.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Last Wooter to Woot:
fredrinaldi

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

At 82.8% Malbec, couldn't they have just called this a Malbec? (Not sure about the labeling rules.)

I am still on a SIWBM, but I feel like I have to break it to support the idea of lower-priced offers. A 2-pack under $40 is exactly the kind of thing I've been hoping to see.

Of course, there is a tradeoff in that $7 summer shipping feels like a bigger hit when the offer itself is only $35... turns a ~$17 bottle into a $21 bottle.

Nonetheless:
Last Wooter to Woot:
moondigger
Last Purchase:
a minute ago

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
kylemittskus wrote:No offense. I think we all just thought it was funny.

I was offended.

In for a twofer.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

moondigger

FYI: The big yellow button is pulsing.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
moondigger wrote:At 82.8% Malbec, couldn't they have just called this a Malbec? (Not sure about the labeling rules.)

The label has to be accurate but not precise, so this hyper-generic label (no vintage, 13.5-15.5% alc, 'california' appellation) is a label that you could put on pretty much any red wine that came out of this winery with grapes grown in the state. They probably have some sitting around for this sort of thing where they find some unlabelled bottles or want to make a really small batch of something and don't want to get a label printed and approved.

EDIT: spelling, typing, grammar, meaning, purpose, pretty much the whole thing.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

moondigger

andyduncan wrote:The label has to be accurate, so this hyper-generic label (no vintage, 13.5-15.5% alc, 'california' appellation) is a label that you could put on pretty much any red wine that came out of this winery with grapes grown the state. They probably have some sitting around for this sort of thing where they find some unlabelled bottles or want to make a really small batch of something and don't want to get a label printed and approved.

Ah, I see. Makes sense.

moondigger

moondigger wrote:FYI: The big yellow button is pulsing.

And... it's gone. Congratulations to Geyser Peak on the sellout.

marklog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marklog

Last Wooter to Woot:
marklog

Sold out! Sorry folks

Are you looking at my junk?

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

This was quick, considering no community TN's here. Ahhh, but rpm did give a nod. Shoulda moved faster I shoulda. Darn work and meetings.

CT

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

andyduncan wrote:I was offended.

In for a twofer.

much obliged Andyduncan.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
moondigger wrote:FYI: The big yellow button is pulsing.

bummer... I was going to buy it earlier.... but didn't...oh well.....

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

marklog wrote:Last Wooter to Woot:
marklog

Sold out! Sorry folks

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
mommadeb1 wrote:bummer... I was going to buy it earlier.... but didn't...oh well.....

And one

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 48 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

Bummed I didn't check out the site earlier, this looks like a winner!

fredrinaldi wrote:Last Wooter to Woot:
fredrinaldi

Dude, this isn't cab!
Seriously, interested in what your thoughts are of this wine when you get around to drinking it. Good to see you branching out!

marklog

marklog wrote:Last Wooter to Woot:
marklog

Sold out! Sorry folks

Interesting, because I bought qty 2. Had I bought three would it have shot me down? Or, was there only one available and now we are oversold? The things I think about...

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
SmilingBoognish wrote:Bummed I didn't check out the site earlier, this looks like a winner!

Dude, this isn't cab!
Seriously, interested in what your thoughts are of this wine when you get around to drinking it. Good to see you branching out!

He likes Malbec too.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
SmilingBoognish wrote:Bummed I didn't check out the site earlier, this looks like a winner!

Dude, this isn't cab!

will do

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Just talked myself into breaking the SIWBM for this, and.... the SIWBM continues to hold, I guess.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Well, I hope WD et al. are listening to wooters' wallets. A two-pack wih little winery participation and no tasting notes sold out before noon. In other words, offer more low buy-in, affordable offers and there may be An uptick in sales. Plenty of other sites out there these days competing for your business...keep the wooters wooting! Just sayin'

"The older I get the better I was"

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
losthighwayz wrote:Well, I hope WD et al. are listening to wooters' wallets. A two-pack wih little winery participation and no tasting notes sold out before noon. In other words, offer more low buy-in, affordable offers and there may be An uptick in sales. Plenty of other sites out there these days competing for your business...keep the wooters wooting! Just sayin'

I dunno, who knows how large the parcel was. Also, to me $21/bottle plus tax is hardly a super cheap buy. Having it as a two-bottle offering was nice though.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:I dunno, who knows how large the parcel was. Also, to me $21/bottle plus tax is hardly a super cheap buy. Having it as a two-bottle offering was nice though.

Agreed, and although I missed this one, I could have picked my level of pain and amortized shipping over 2, 4 or 6 bottles.

CT

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
frogstachio wrote:I realize Malbec is an allowable varietal. But, though far from an expert, I'm not aware of any chateau that uses any meaningful amount of Bordeaux in their blend, much less the 83% used in the blend of this offering.

Hi there! think Cahors (and soometimes Bergerac) for Malbec predominance in France. It's known to be robust, almost rustic wine, but the good stuff is highly underrated! Many of the Argentinian ones are disappointing because it's their stock grape it seems.

So, think of this as not a claret at all indeed. Marketing reasons is why they called it Red blend. Unless it's Cab Sauv, Pinot or Chard or a few others it's hard to sell a grape!

marklog

This wine is taking forever! Why so long, woot?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

marklog wrote:This wine is taking forever! Why so long, woot?

You should have tracking email so you might want to check your spam folders. Or you can look in Stuff You Bought.

If all else fails, you can use FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. Your order number is on your order details which you can get via Stuff You Bought. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders