JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

PolarBear22's daughter, Asiana 214, Alaska float-plane...

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of July 7

The Dog Days of Summer have arrived. Why not cool down that puppy with a White Wine or Sangria gathering? Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

July
7/13: SoCal #27: Sparky & zTimBz Wine Locker Redux (Sukieasa in town)
7/20: NorCal #19: Theme Still Under Discussion

August
8/3: NorCal #?: WineSmith BBQ in Santa Rosa
8/3: Minnesota #21 8-3-13
8/10: Omaha #1: Is there critical mass?
8/10 & 8/17: zTimBz's Bday / SoCal #28 - If we open them, he will come
8/24: The Wootception!!!

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Itwdswafo

X-post

otolith wrote:
For the salmon, I brined for 1-1/2 hours, then washed it off and soaked it in water for another 3 hours. Damped it dry, then covered with brown sugar. Put some applewood chips in the smoker, and let it go for 1:20 or so, probably just a little to long. It was delicious, but some parts were a little dry. Used Atlantic farm raised salmon, with skin off, placed on parchment paper on a cookie sheet on the top shelf. Can't wait to try the honey smoked salmon recipe.

I really wouldn't recommend submerging fish fillets, especially when skinless. The flesh is too delicate and will rip apart, probably explaining why you had some dry spots. Definitely smoke with the skin on. When you slice it, it practically falls right off. I would recommend looking for a dry cure (I can give one to you if you'd like, do you use pink salt?), and then just rinsing it *gently* under cool water. That's all it really needs. Then let it sit uncovered in the fridge for a few hours or over night so the flesh gets nice and tacky (will help the smoke better adhere to the flesh).

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
Itwdswafo wrote:
I really wouldn't recommend submerging fish fillets, especially when skinless. The flesh is too delicate and will rip apart, probably explaining why you had some dry spots. Definitely smoke with the skin on. When you slice it, it practically falls right off. I would recommend looking for a dry cure (I can give one to you if you'd like, do you use pink salt?), and then just rinsing it *gently* under cool water. That's all it really needs. Then let it sit uncovered in the fridge for a few hours or over night so the flesh gets nice and tacky (will help the smoke better adhere to the flesh).

You want me to use my finishing salt to brine? j/k I realize you're asking about that funky pink salt/nitrite mix.

We're talking about "salmon cured for flavor and then cooked in an oven with wood smoke, to be consumed immediately"* - would sodium nitrite bring something useful to the party?

*Do they teach you to write HACCP plans at the CIA? ;)

PS Probably belongs in the politics thread, but how do others feel about farmed salmon? I avoid it.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
mother wrote:You want me to use my finishing salt to brine? j/k I realize you're asking about that funky pink salt/nitrite mix.

We're talking about "salmon cured for flavor and then cooked in an oven with wood smoke, to be consumed immediately"* - would sodium nitrite bring something useful to the party?

PS Probably belongs in the politics thread, but how do others feel about farmed salmon? I avoid it.

I would avoid it if wild salmon was available here at even a reasonable price (Ohio). Except at peak salmon season, I have a hard time finding even decent farm-raised salmon for less than $10lb. I love salmon, but I can get beef tenderloin for that price.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Morning all. Hope your Monday is tolerable.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

North316

ThunderThighs wrote:Morning all. Hope your Monday is tolerable.

*Picture*

I was confused. I read that as "Hope your Monday is terrible."

My CT

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm

Thanks! I'm just so confused about so many things--doing too much to get ready for our trip. I couldn't figure out why nobody had started a new pub by noon yesterday--Sunday! I mentioned it to ddeuddeg and he reminded me that the new pub starts SUNDAY night/Monday morning for us! Oh, yeah. Ummmm. Then, last night, I couldn't figure out what day it was at all--it seemed like Sunday morning and Mass and the rest of the day had been a long, long time ago!

Today is filled with many different things to do: lunch at niece's (gotta drop off plants for their summer camp) and hearing how my niece's fam's camping trip went with a 6 yr old and a 3 yr old; dance lesson; a couple of quick shopping stops; Shakespeare Board Meeting. We leave in about an hour and we'll have to grab dinner after the meeting. Lovin' life!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
bahwm wrote:Today is filled with many different things to do: lunch at niece's (gotta drop off plants for their summer camp) and hearing how my niece's fam's camping trip went with a 6 yr old and a 3 yr old; dance lesson; a couple of quick shopping stops; Shakespeare Board Meeting. We leave in about an hour and we'll have to grab dinner after the meeting. Lovin' life!

I want to know how that camping trip went. Mine are 6 and 2 and my wife wants to take them camping. I'd rather drive nails into my foot.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

It's going to be a busy week between work stuff and house stuff. You know those ridiculously low mortgage rates of recent history? Yeah, I missed that. But I'm not bitter. That was a lie. I am bitter.

Itwdswafo

mother wrote:You want me to use my finishing salt to brine? j/k I realize you're asking about that funky pink salt/nitrite mix.

Ha, you're right. Using pink salt is probably more of the HACCP state of mind. Just really depends on how immediately you plan on going through the process and consuming it I guess.

Pacific (wild) Salmon is difficult both physically and financially for people to get their hands on throughout the country. While using Atlantic (farm raised) Salmon really means a huge loss in flavor, it's just not a possibility for a lot of people.

bhodilee

chemvictim wrote:It's going to be a busy week between work stuff and house stuff. You know those ridiculously low mortgage rates of recent history? Yeah, I missed that. But I'm not bitter. That was a lie. I am bitter.

Caught em by a week, give or take. They're still very low, just not as low as they were.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

Itwdswafo

Looking out at the view this morning as I wake up... I think it will be! I <3 vacations!

ThunderThighs

Staff

Itwdswafo wrote:Looking out at the view this morning as I wake up... I think it will be! I <3 vacations!

Jealous. Sigh.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
Itwdswafo wrote:Looking out at the view this morning as I wake up... I think it will be! I <3 vacations!

Enjoy Catalina!

I have 360+ vacation hours on the books and need to find time to use them!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:I want to know how that camping trip went. Mine are 6 and 2 and my wife wants to take them camping. I'd rather drive nails into my foot.

Depends, are you planning on telling them ghost stories around the campfire?

Of course, my idea of camping includes this!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

It's Monday!!!

chemvictim

bhodilee wrote:I want to know how that camping trip went. Mine are 6 and 2 and my wife wants to take them camping. I'd rather drive nails into my foot.

I don't have kids and perhaps I have less patience than the average person (maybe a lot less), but this sounds like a very bad idea. Good luck to you.

MarkDaSpark

Next year on my birthday! (Free ride on that day for me!!)

Itwdswafo

cmaldoon wrote:Enjoy Catalina!

I have 360+ vacation hours on the books and need to find time to use them!

I can't believe they allow you to save up that many. My company had a cap at 200 hours, and when we reached that cap, we would just receive a check for 100 hours (they cashed out half of the hours).

MarkDaSpark

Itwdswafo wrote:I can't believe they allow you to save up that many. My company had a cap at 200 hours, and when we reached that cap, we would just receive a check for 100 hours (they cashed out half of the hours).

Most California companies let you save up to 2.5 times your annual vacation time. The longer you stay, the more vacation time you earn. My old company started out with 2 weeks, then you earned a extra day each year you stayed after 5 years.

So at 10 years I had 3 weeks of vacation, and if I had gotten to 15 years, it would have been 4 weeks of vacation.

So each week of vacation is 40 hours, 3.5 weeks of accumulated vacation time equals 350 hours (40 * 3.5 * 2.5) that you can save before losing any time.

And I was constantly at my limit where I had to take 1 or 2 day vacations to not lose time.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bahwm wrote:Thanks! I'm just so confused about so many things--doing too much to get ready for our trip. I couldn't figure out why nobody had started a new pub by noon yesterday--Sunday! I mentioned it to ddeuddeg and he reminded me that the new pub starts SUNDAY night/Monday morning for us! Oh, yeah. Ummmm. Then, last night, I couldn't figure out what day it was at all--it seemed like Sunday morning and Mass and the rest of the day had been a long, long time ago!

Today is filled with many different things to do: lunch at niece's (gotta drop off plants for their summer camp) and hearing how my niece's fam's camping trip went with a 6 yr old and a 3 yr old; dance lesson; a couple of quick shopping stops; Shakespeare Board Meeting. We leave in about an hour and we'll have to grab dinner after the meeting. Lovin' life!

Seriously, where do you two find the time?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Itwdswafo

MarkDaSpark wrote:

And I was constantly at my limit where I had to take 1 or 2 day vacations to not lose time.

Would you lose the time completely, or would they pay you for it?

chemvictim

Itwdswafo wrote:Would you lose the time completely, or would they pay you for it?

At my place of employment, you just lose 'em. Too bad, so sad. Of course I will never get to the cap because I take time off. Sparky has gleefully reminded me that this is because I'm non-essential.

North316

Itwdswafo wrote:Would you lose the time completely, or would they pay you for it?

I'm guessing lose it. Most places you actually lose it. Being an accountant, I see vacation policies for a lot of different companies. Most that I see here in Ohio actually state that the employee loses any unused vacation each year. I would say about 30-40% allow employees to carry over 40-80 hours each year and anything additional is lost.

To preface that though, we deal with a lot of manufacturing clients, so policies tend to be different for more service oriented companies.

I used to get 13 days vacation each year, and could "bank" my overtime and use it as additional vacation or get it paid out at my straight hourly rate. We could carry over a total of 40 vacation/banked hours each year.

Our company was acquired by a larger regional firm first of the year, making us all straight salaried employees and eliminating the "bank" and payout system, but due to my seniority, I get a minimum of 4 weeks (160 hours) and can earn a fifth week if I work 300 hours of overtime during the year, which anyone who knows anything about accountants, there is no issue reaching that level. The issue is finding time to use the 200 hours of overtime. We can also carry over 40 hours.

Anything over the 40 hours at the end of the year goes into a catostrophic "bank" and can only be used for a major illness, pregnancy, etc, and can also be donated to others in a similar situation (with no personal reimbursement).

My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

SWMBO gets 22 days/year and they never expire. She can't cash them out, though, either.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee

We have a vacation policy, something about X amount of hours then you don't accrue anymore until you fall under X. I have no idea what X is though because:

A) I suck at math
B) I use so much damn vacation it will NEVER affect me. Cause I love my job and all. There are seriously days I just wake up and say, yeah...not gonna happen today and just take the day off. Luckily we can do that.

mother

Where I am there is a cap at 240hrs that goes up to 320hrs after 5 years, and you just plain lose everything over that.

I'm constantly bouncing off that limit. I've just changed jobs slightly, and have traded reasonably sane workweeks for the ability to take PTO.

ThunderThighs

Staff

What's this vacation you speak of?

FORUM MODERATOR

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
mother wrote:Where I am there is a cap at 240hrs that goes up to 320hrs after 5 years, and you just plain lose everything over that.

I'm constantly bouncing off that limit. I've just changed jobs slightly, and have traded reasonably sane workweeks for the ability to take PTO.

Wow, that's actually quite a lot of days off. 8 weeks off a year?!

At my company, we don't get to carry anything over from year to year at all.
You start with 18 days (144hrs), then go to 21 days at 5yrs, then go to 28 days at 10yrs. Then nothing more after that. So I'm sitting at the 28 days of PTO (vacation/sick/personal) off each year. Most years I have trouble using it all up, though this year I may actually run out and have to borrow from next year if I actually end up getting sick this winter.

Most years I have been able to unofficially carry a day or two over that my boss lets me take off in the following year if I don't get to use them before the end. They just don't get marked down when I actually take them.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mother

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Wow, that's actually quite a lot of days off. 8 weeks off a year?!

Nonono sorry, that is the maximum you are allowed to accrue. I get nowhere near 40 days a year of paid time off!

Itwdswafo

ThunderThighs wrote:What's this vacation you speak of?

Says the one who recently abandoned us for a "vacation."

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
mother wrote:Nonono sorry, that is the maximum you are allowed to accrue. I get nowhere near 40 days a year of paid time off!

Heh, yeah. I started to realize that is what you meant after I posted it, but being busy at work (and a little lazy) I didn't feel like going back to editing my post to write it up differently.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
North316 wrote:I'm guessing lose it. Most places you actually lose it. Being an accountant, I see vacation policies for a lot of different companies. Most that I see here in Ohio actually state that the employee loses any unused vacation each year. I would say about 30-40% allow employees to carry over 40-80 hours each year and anything additional is lost.

To preface that though, we deal with a lot of manufacturing clients, so policies tend to be different for more service oriented companies.

I used to get 13 days vacation each year, and could "bank" my overtime and use it as additional vacation or get it paid out at my straight hourly rate. We could carry over a total of 40 vacation/banked hours each year.

Our company was acquired by a larger regional firm first of the year, making us all straight salaried employees and eliminating the "bank" and payout system, but due to my seniority, I get a minimum of 4 weeks (160 hours) and can earn a fifth week if I work 300 hours of overtime during the year, which anyone who knows anything about accountants, there is no issue reaching that level. The issue is finding time to use the 200 hours of overtime. We can also carry over 40 hours.

Anything over the 40 hours at the end of the year goes into a catostrophic "bank" and can only be used for a major illness, pregnancy, etc, and can also be donated to others in a similar situation (with no personal reimbursement).

In California, once you are granted vacation time, it cannot be taken away from you. If you leave, they have to cash it out. And they cannot take away at the end of the year.

Employers can cap how much you can accrue, though.

Our employer just changed from separate vacation and sick time to a single Paid Time Off (PTO) bucket. Not sure if calling it PTO gets around the vacation laws.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

ThunderThighs

Staff

Itwdswafo wrote:Says the one who recently abandoned us for a "vacation."

Crap, you remembered. It was my first vacation where I didn't also work the midnight rollovers. Heh.

FORUM MODERATOR

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

The cap at my work is 10 weeks (400 hours) down from 14 weeks (560 hours) when I hired.

I hired in at 2 weeks per year vacation but they changed the policy 4 months after I came in so that everyone started with 3 weeks per year and goes up to 4 between 10 and 15 years on the job. (And they bumped up those less than 3 to 3. Woot!)

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 185 Private Messages rjquillin
ThunderThighs wrote:What's this vacation you speak of?

You just had yours, and we missed you so much we wrote to management and told them to cancel all future vacations for you.

CT

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

So far this year I have taken 6 of 20 eligible vacation days and they expire in August. No rollover, no payout, no time to really use them. Unused sick days accumulate toward any future FMLA qualifying event. Currently working on changing vacation leave policy to allow for some carryover and/or banking toward FMLA.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
JOATMON wrote:In California, once you are granted vacation time, it cannot be taken away from you. If you leave, they have to cash it out. And they cannot take away at the end of the year.

Employers can cap how much you can accrue, though.

Our employer just changed from separate vacation and sick time to a single Paid Time Off (PTO) bucket. Not sure if calling it PTO gets around the vacation laws.

Most HR laws in California seem to be different than laws in all the other states. Every HR seminar I participate in usually has separate sections for CA or has to * everything with a disclaimer that it does not apply in CA.

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:At my place of employment, you just lose 'em. Too bad, so sad. Of course I will never get to the cap because I take time off. Sparky has gleefully reminded me that this is because I'm non-essential.

I would never say that!! I may think it, but I would never say it!

Actually, I think PetiteSirah would beat me if I thought that in real life. Since (IIRC) he's into Intellectual Property, he knows how important the Patent Office is.

Yes, if we didn't use them, we lost those hours. But as noted, once I left, I got paid for all those unused Vacation hours.

And while I wasn't essential (oh who am I kidding on that one! ), it was more along the lines of being too lazy to actually go anywhere on vacation. Unless the folks were paying for a cruise to Alaska or the Panama Canal, that is!