WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Westerly Wines Cabernet Sauvignon (3)

Speed to First Woot:
3h 30m 13.994s
First Sucker:
emccall3
Last Wooter to Woot:
suushy
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 20% of Wine Woots
Bottom 38% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 17% of Wine Woots
Bottom 35% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 0% first woot
  • 5% second woot
  • 26% < 10 woots
  • 21% < 25 woots
  • 47% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 0% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 5% one month old
  • 26% one year old
  • 68% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 84% bought 1
  • 16% bought 2
  • 0% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

0%
0%
0%
5%
0%
5%
11%
0%
11%
5%
11%
11%
5%
11%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
5%
16%
0%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1616 Private Messages Cesare

Westerly Wines Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon 3-Pack
$74.99 $̶1̶3̶1̶.̶0̶0̶ 43% off List Price
2009 Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

The Westerly Winds blew some Westerly Wine my way. A bottle of Westerly Wines 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon, to be exact.

PnP,ruby color w/medium forming legs. Nose of cherry, raspberry and some darker fruits with some oak and a little heat. Cherry, raspberry, boysenberry and currant on the entry. The oak treatment becomes more apparent in mid-palate along with some plum and darker fruits. Medium tannins on the longish finish. Little bit of a harsh edge to the tannins makes me think this would be better in a year or two but it is drinking pretty well right now.

Overall a nice mid-level Cab with the potential to improve over the next 2-3 years. The QPR depends on whether it lives up to that potential.

brainchasm


quality posts: 6 Private Messages brainchasm
Cesare wrote:Westerly Wines Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon 3-Pack
$74.99 $̶1̶3̶1̶.̶0̶0̶ 43% off List Price
2009 Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles
CT link above


Wow. No community holdings on CT, no score, no avg value/price...

The only thing is the listing itself and a label pic!

There better be some winery/winemaker participation, because otherwise, why would anyone roll dice to open like this at $25 a bottle?

(glad to see a self-appointed rat chimed in, but still...)


Cesare


quality posts: 1616 Private Messages Cesare
brainchasm wrote:Wow. No community holdings on CT, no score, no avg value/price...

The only thing is the listing itself and a label pic!


That's because I just created it.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

$42/bottle from this place which advertises it as a 90 pt. wine but doesn't say who rated it.

EDIT: Maybe THIS is the review they are referencing. It's a little more than halfway down the page, a couple spots below the sideways bottle of Ghost Pines.

Or, for the click-averse;
90 Westerly Wines 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles ($40)
Bright and tangy with snappy plum and juicy raspberry; lively, deep and balanced; ripe and fleshy with style and finesse; long and lifted. 87% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc, 3% Petite Sirah.
--------------
Rated by Anthony Dias Blue of Blue Reviews in the May 2013 Tasting Panel newsletter.

lasklinz


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lasklinz
Cesare wrote:That's because I just created it.



"creation" .... almost godlike ...

jmdavidson


quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
brainchasm wrote:Wow. No community holdings on CT, no score, no avg value/price...

The only thing is the listing itself and a label pic!

There better be some winery/winemaker participation, because otherwise, why would anyone roll dice to open like this at $25 a bottle?

(glad to see a self-appointed rat chimed in, but still...)



From their website:
Release Date: June 2013 Vineyard
Sourcing:Happy Canyon and Santa Ynez Valley
Varietal Composition: 77% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc, 2% Petite Verdot
Winemaking: The 2009 Cabernet was destemmed into one ton fermentors and punched down by hand daily. After a gentle pressing the wine was racked and placed in 100% French oak barrels, 60% of which were new and 40% 2nd year French oak. The wine remained in barrel for 30 months.
Tasting Notes: The wine is beautifully crafted, showing depth, elegance and finesse, with a deep mix of dark fruit, cherry, plum and currant.

There are no CT reviews, plus other Internet info, because it was just released. There is some confusion about the blend however. WW shows one blend, while the Westerly website shows the one I have reported here.

UBlink


quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
jmdavidson wrote:From their website:
Release Date: June 2013 Vineyard
Sourcing:Happy Canyon and Santa Ynez Valley
Varietal Composition: 77% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc, 2% Petite Verdot
Winemaking: The 2009 Cabernet was destemmed into one ton fermentors and punched down by hand daily. After a gentle pressing the wine was racked and placed in 100% French oak barrels, 60% of which were new and 40% 2nd year French oak. The wine remained in barrel for 30 months.
Tasting Notes: The wine is beautifully crafted, showing depth, elegance and finesse, with a deep mix of dark fruit, cherry, plum and currant.

There are no CT reviews, plus other Internet info, because it was just released. There is some confusion about the blend however. WW shows one blend, while the Westerly website shows the one I have reported here.


The wine on their website is labelled Santa Ynez Valley while the current woot offer is Paso Robles.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

jmdavidson


quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
UBlink wrote:The wine on their website is labelled Santa Ynez Valley while the current woot offer is Paso Robles.



Apparently you are correct. They made a 2009 for Paso Robles and one for Santa Ynez Valley. Maybe a winery person, if they show up, can discuss this.

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

I happened upon a bottle of this. I usually like to taste it blindly as to not be swayed too much, but the wine was outed...

On initial pop n pour:

Color: Deep red, garnet color, no sediment

Nose: alcohol dominates, followed by some oak/cedar, then fruit--strawberry (jam)/cassis

Palate: med to full body, dark fruit, prunes, with some heat. Tannins are fairly smooth, not biting. Overall, seems well integrated. Long lasted on the palate, as well.

Initial impression: was worried about the heat, felt it was a pretty big, ripe wine. SWMBO wasn't a fan.

45'-1hr later:

Nose: No/minimal heat, hint of burnt petrol (pretty cool, actually), strawberry jam/raspberry. Seems nice.

Palate: Nicely balanced. Deep red, ripe fruit with a slight raisiny/prune taste that suggests to me the fruit was ripe at harvest, but not so much that I would call it a fruit bomb. Some oak/vanilla and tannins seem nice. Not much harshness. Long lasting.

Impression: I like it! SWMBO, not so much. I think this is a pretty big wine, but well integrated. I'm left thinking that this is pretty representative of Paso fruit.

~ 2 hrs later:

Nose: cedar, hints of vanilla, some etoh/cherry

Palate: Nice integration. Minimal heat. Dark fruit, vanilla and oak. Well balanced. Tannins are smooth and not very biting. A long finish.

Overall, this is a pretty big, bold wine that is nicely integrated. It would go well with grilled foods, and went well with the brisket. I liked the Amon-Ra shiraz that we had with the brisket better, but that bottle is also the cost of the 3 in this set. This is drinking well now, and should for the next several years, I suspect.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
otolith wrote:This is a place holder for tasting notes that I will type up later. SWMBO just woke me up from a deep sleep because we apparently have to rush to get to the YMCA in time to get a ping pong table...


Man, life is tough all over.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
otolith wrote:This is a place holder for tasting notes that I will type up later. SWMBO just woke me up from a deep sleep because we apparently have to rush to get to the YMCA in time to get a ping pong table...



I hope you wore a Batman mask.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cortot20


quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
polarbear22 wrote:Man, life is tough all over.



It is. It. Is.

haha

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

neilfindswine


quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

jmdavidson wrote:Apparently you are correct. They made a 2009 for Paso Robles and one for Santa Ynez Valley. Maybe a winery person, if they show up, can discuss this.



Yes-this is the Paso cab...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Winery Website

Was looking around their website, and their winemaker certainly has the pedigree to take these wines places.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

sfeher


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sfeher

According to the Woot posting, the grapes are sourced from Eberle Winery in Paso Robles; I've visited there twice and am pretty familiar. if Eberle is the source, I'd be REALLY tempted to spring for this.

BUT -- the Eberle 2009 cab is available for $34/bottle and is pretty darn good. Why would I go after this, when the estate bottled Cab is so good?

jmdavidson


quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

A bottle of this also happened to find it’s way to me. Since we were going to a celebration of the 4th, I brought it along to share with my friends and the BBQ ribs that were being prepared.

Upon Pnp, found the color to be a nice ruby red, good clarity and a slight oaky bouquet. We sipped a little and found the fruit (cherry, plum and possibly blackberry) to be rather forward with rather smooth tannins. There was no sense of this being a high alcohol wine.

I paired the ribs with a 2011 Runquist Grenache, which was perfect since the wine was rather oaky and the ribs rather smoky. I figured that we would finish the CS with the chocolate cupcakes. BTW, we also had a bottle of the 2012 Pink Zeppelin with appetizers.

So, about an hour later, we started the next round of tastings. The fruit flavors from before were still prevalent, but now maybe a little softer. There was no heat from the alcohol and the tannins were still quite smooth, even somewhat on the dry side. The finish had a very little amount of oak and a little dark chocolate or vanilla. Sometimes it’s a tough call between the two. This wine is definitely complex, has some age on it and was well made. It did pair well with the chocolate.

We got neither the alcohol domination nor the tastes of prune/raisin, petrol, strawberry or raspberry. I have received some “mystery” bottles in the past that had some of the same profiles (i.e. prunes/raisins) as those mentioned by otolith. For those, I thought they had been mishandled or stored improperly. So…

Everyone really enjoyed this wine. IMHO it is definitely worth the $25. It drinks like a wine sold above that price point.
Buyers will not be disappointed.

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

Update: Decided to have another taste - was saving the rest of the bottle for a fireworks show tomorrow evening but otolith's notes about the tannins being smooth got me curious.

While the flavor profile has remained about the same afa fruit/oak, the tannins have definitely smoothed out overnight. Perhaps it just needed a little more air than I gave it originally and/or had some bottle shock when I first opened it (it looked pretty shook up when I received it the other day).

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
jmdavidson wrote:
We got neither the alcohol domination nor the tastes of prune/raisin, petrol, strawberry or raspberry. I have received some “mystery” bottles in the past that had some of the same profiles (i.e. prunes/raisins) as those mentioned by otolith. For those, I thought they had been mishandled or stored improperly. So…



For the record, I am not saying these were bad findings in the wine.

I liked it, my wife did not (too bold for her). I think the price point is reasonable for here, not sure I would pay winery price, however.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

jmdavidson


quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
otolith wrote:For the record, I am not saying these were bad findings in the wine.

I liked it, my wife did not (too bold for her). I think the price point is reasonable for here, not sure I would pay winery price, however.



If I am drinking a wine that is pruney or raisiny, and it isn't an aged wine, I start to think that it was exposed to heat somewhere.

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
jmdavidson wrote:If I am drinking a wine that is pruney or raisiny, and it isn't an aged wine, I start to think that it was exposed to heat somewhere.



OK. I don't equate these flavor profiles to heat exposure or as bad qualities. To me, it was an expression of some of the deep, rich layers of this wine.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir