joyironhorse

quality posts: 50 Private Messages joyironhorse
tdedek wrote:Not sure about this exact offering, but I've recently drank through at least a case of 2006 Iron Horse Vintage Brut from my LWS and keep going back for more. Great stuff and no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Told myself I wasn't buying anything until after the Quivet cab release later this month but don't think I'll be able to resist...

I am always amazed at how beautifully our bubblies age ... if you can resist drinking them up.

joyironhorse

cheron98 wrote:Why yes, these will be served at the Wootception. The question is, will you be there?

I'm planning on being there ... and I'm planning on bringing some Wedding Cuvee!

joyironhorse

Itwdswafo wrote:I was just dreaming of an Iron Horse offering yesterday. Is this still a dream?

Any experience with the summer cuvée out there? How does it compare with the others?

Summer's Cuvee is a Blanc de Noirs. It's the current favorite in the Tasting Room.

joyironhorse

siwbm wrote:Uh oh.

I had seen these on an email blast from Iron Horse, and was curious. For Woot pricing, I am even more curious.

Can I be strong?

Resistance is futile!

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm
joyironhorse wrote:Resistance is futile!

Resistance is totally futile! Autobuy is in effect and no SIWBM is powerful enough to stop the Iron Horse!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes

Darn you, WOOT!

Iron Horse Summer's Cuvée (2)
Speed to First Woot:0m 43.002s First Sucker:HitAnyKey42
Last Wooter to Woot:karenhynes
Last Purchase:a minute ago

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

davidironhorse

quality posts: 13 Private Messages davidironhorse

David Munksgard, Iron Horse Winemaker. Jumping in here.
When I was deciding what I wanted to do in making the Summers Cuvee, I thought of a perfect Northern California summer afternoon on my deck and what I'd like to be sipping. From that vision came this wine. Focused on vibrant fruit and white flowers, this wine is very satisfying. The dosage is made from our 2011 Rued clone Chardonnay. This dose (syrup) is very low in sugar 10 brix, versus the normal 55 brix. I was looking for a finished bottle RS of about 0.66 grams per 100ml. To get that I added 42 mls of this special dose per bottle. The wine is dry, yet fruity and goes very well with summer foods.

rjquillin wrote:Directly from the description in features:
The juice slowly ferments in stainless steel tanks at 62° to 65° f retaining bright fruit aromas and flavors in the wine. The dosage for the 2009 Summer’s Cuvée is 42mls of a 10 Brix Chardonnay LEX - the equivalent of ten grams of sugar per 100 ml of wine, blended with the 2011 Rued Chardonnay.
Like I said, still trying to understand the numbers.

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
rpm wrote:Resistance is totally futile! Autobuy is in effect and no SIWBM is powerful enough to stop the Iron Horse!

Your interwebz could have been down and therefore refrained you from the not-really-required shove...

Last Wooter to Woot: rjquillin

CT

rjquillin

davidironhorse wrote:David Munksgard, Iron Horse Winemaker. Jumping in here.
This dose (syrup) is very low in sugar 10 brix, versus the normal 55 brix. I was looking for a finished bottle RS of about 0.66 grams per 100ml. To get that I added 42 mls of this special dose per bottle. The wine is dry, yet fruity and goes very well with summer foods.

Thanks for helping me sort out the numbers David.
Could you expand a bit on how differing brix of dosage, as opposed to different quantity of dosage, (same total quantity of sugars added for either) choices are determined for your final product?

CT

siwbm

quality posts: 5 Private Messages siwbm
rpm wrote:...no SIWBM is powerful enough to stop the Iron Horse!

Are you sure about that?

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
ddeuddeg wrote:Not trying to sell you on this or anything, but it is an IH bubbly. You could think of it as a way to help regulate how much you can afford to spend while you're out there. And they'll deliver it right to your door.

you make a good point.... hmmmmm ......

davidironhorse

David Munksgard, Iron Horse Winemaker here.
The first goal of Dosage is to achieve the acid-sugar balance in the final product.
The next goal is to achieve your stylistic goal of aroma and taste; trying to get that perfect fit of what I call the perfect three: fruit, yeast and age.
The final goal is mouth feel.
I have a nearly limitless “toolbox” of what I can use to make into what we call Dosage. When I invite outside folks in to taste a trial of different dosages, they are all amazed at what differences you can achieve with this final step.

rjquillin wrote:Thanks for helping me sort out the numbers David.
Could you expand a bit on how differing brix of dosage, as opposed to different quantity of dosage, (same total quantity of sugars added for either) choices are determined for your final product?

davidironhorse

David Munksgard, Iron Horse Winemaker here.
Just re-read your question. Ok. I think I understand. In this case, I wanted to get more of the 2011 Rued Chardonnay into the bottle to get that floral quality into the mix. By using a "weaker" syrup I need to add more of it to achieve my RS goal. Win-Win!!

rjquillin wrote:Thanks for helping me sort out the numbers David.

rjquillin

davidironhorse wrote:David Munksgard, Iron Horse Winemaker here.
Just re-read your question. Ok. I think I understand. In this case, I wanted to get more of the 2011 Rued Chardonnay into the bottle to get that floral quality into the mix. By using a "weaker" syrup I need to add more of it to achieve my RS goal. Win-Win!!

Yes, this is precisely the answer to what I was trying to ask. Thanks.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
joyironhorse wrote:I am always amazed at how beautifully our bubblies age ... if you can resist drinking them up.

Not sure why anyone would want to age these, it's summer and it's Iron Horse bubbles...drink up

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
joyironhorse wrote:Summer's Cuvee is a Blanc de Noirs. It's the current favorite in the Tasting Room.

Oh darn... This is why I try to avoid reading comments. I LOVE blanc de noirs! Are the exact percentages of Pinot/Chardonnay available?

PS: just read an excellent forward by you in "Exploring Wine." Your personal praise for Kolpan and Weiss are great to hear!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
Itwdswafo wrote:Oh darn... This is why I try to avoid reading comments. I LOVE blanc de noirs! Are the exact percentages of Pinot/Chardonnay available?

If you look at the Specs on the main offer page you'll see the following:
Blend: 78% Pinot Noir, 22% Chardonnay

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
HitAnyKey42 wrote:If you look at the Specs on the main offer page you'll see the following:
Blend: 78% Pinot Noir, 22% Chardonnay

Ah, danke. Still getting used to where everything is on the mobile site.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
Itwdswafo wrote:Ah, danke. Still getting used to where everything is on the mobile site.

I've all but given up on that. Too old and too slow, I guess.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

How nice of Woot to pop some bubbly on the very day of our wedding! (Oh yes we did! NYC Marriage Clerk, 9:30 am.) Very tempting...

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
joyironhorse wrote:Resistance is futile!

We sent our friends from Buffalo to visit you last week, only to find that two days later, they returned to your tasting room! Speak of "Resistance is futile!"

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

davidironhorse

David Munksgard, Iron Horse winemaker here:
Well, the view is stunning. Glass of wine in hand just completes it.
If you have not been here-----

bahwm wrote:We sent our friends from Buffalo to visit you last week, only to find that two days later, they returned to your tasting room! Speak of "Resistance is futile!"

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
InFrom wrote:How nice of Woot to pop some bubbly on the very day of our wedding! (Oh yes we did! NYC Marriage Clerk, 9:30 am.) Very tempting...

Congrats Happy 4th indeed.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
InFrom wrote:How nice of Woot to pop some bubbly on the very day of our wedding! (Oh yes we did! NYC Marriage Clerk, 9:30 am.) Very tempting...

Congrats! Get some IH bubbly and pop it ASAP!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

Apologies in advance for sidetracking...

davidironhorse wrote:David Munksgard, Iron Horse winemaker here:
Well, the view is stunning. Glass of wine in hand just completes it.
If you have not been here-----

My family and I will be in the area in a few weeks. We'll be visiting a few wineries, picked primarily because they offer something interesting for non-drinkers (my teenage children) to see or do while my wife and I taste wines.

Iron Horse isn't on our to-do list, because from what I can tell, it would hold little interest for non-drinkers.

I'd be very happy if you told me I was wrong.

InFrom

tdedek wrote:Congrats Happy 4th indeed.

Thanks! Nice that there will be fireworks in our honor!

ddeuddeg wrote:Congrats! Get some IH bubbly and pop it ASAP!

Thanks! Great advice!

davidironhorse

David Munksgard, Iron Horse winemaker here.
Families do bring the young ones here, but no we do not offer much that they are interested in. Even my grandsons only last so long here while my son and his wife try to sip some bubbly.

moondigger wrote:Apologies in advance for sidetracking...

My family and I will be in the area in a few weeks. We'll be visiting a few wineries, picked primarily because they offer something interesting for non-drinkers (my teenage children) to see or do while my wife and I taste wines.

Iron Horse isn't on our to-do list, because from what I can tell, it would hold little interest for non-drinkers.

I'd be very happy if you told me I was wrong.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
davidironhorse wrote:David Munksgard, Iron Horse winemaker here.
Families do bring the young ones here, but no we do not offer much that they are interested in. Even my grandsons only last so long here while my son and his wife try to sip some bubbly.

Aw, shucks. I might have to stop by anyway, and let the kids entertain themselves for a little while. Do you have tables or a picnic area they could admire the scenery from?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

you got the permit or tied the knot? Either way, congrats!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
moondigger wrote:Aw, shucks. I might have to stop by anyway, and let the kids entertain themselves for a little while. Do you have tables or a picnic area they could admire the scenery from?

They have benches that have a terrific view of the vineyards. Also a fantastic garden, but not sure if that's open to the public.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

davidironhorse

David Munksgard, Iron Horse winemaker here:
There is a gazebo behind the winery for picnic use. Not as good of views there as from the tasting area.

moondigger wrote:Aw, shucks. I might have to stop by anyway, and let the kids entertain themselves for a little while. Do you have tables or a picnic area they could admire the scenery from?

InFrom

bhodilee wrote:you got the permit or tied the knot? Either way, congrats!

Nope, got the permit last Friday, today was the big day (after being together 17 years)!

Thanks, it's exciting (and weird). We're celebrating with Chinese take-out this evening. (And bubbly, which should go without saying.)

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
joyironhorse wrote:Summer's Cuvee is a Blanc de Noirs.

That's all I needed to hear.

First Sucker: HitAnyKey42

Last Wooter to Woot: funbunny

Last Purchase: 2 minutes ago

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
InFrom wrote:Nope, got the permit last Friday, today was the big day (after being together 17 years)!

Thanks, it's exciting (and weird). We're celebrating with Chinese take-out this evening. (And bubbly, which should go without saying.)

That looks like some good chinese. I'll need to swing by/call in the next time I visit my buddy who lives around there. But very hard for me to not grab some Korean BBQ when in Flushing. Enjoy!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Congratulations!!

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

InFrom

polarbear22 wrote:Congratulations!!

Thanks! I'm still in a daze (and believe it or not, still in the office!) Need to wrap things up here, which means I probably should stop checking the board for a while...

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

in for 3...
the price point is really pushing the limits for me though...

i wonder what woot will have in store for tomorrow.... a major holiday on a non wine day...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
sukeiasa wrote:in for 3...
the price point is really pushing the limits for me though...

i wonder what woot will have in store for tomorrow.... a major holiday on a non wine day...

Maybe that would get us a wine offering as celebration!

I'm so thinking of giving this a try. Unoaked BdN, nicely brut, but even with the discount it's still topping $40/bottle.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

OK... first Iron Horse purchase and I'm in for two. This is a big jump for me, but I'm looking forward to it. Happy 4th of July everyone!
Cheers!

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

Congratulations! Now, you (and your new spouse) need to make the next NYC tasting.... whenever that is....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!