Iron Horse Summer's Cuvée 2-Pack
$74.99 $̶1̶0̶7̶.̶0̶0̶ 30% off List Price
2009 Summer’s Cuvée
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Why yes, these will be served at the Wootception. The question is, will you be there?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

MmmmmMMMmmmmm....Bubbles!!!!!

Speed to First Woot: 0m 43.002s
First Sucker: HitAnyKey42

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
HitAnyKey42 wrote:MmmmmMMMmmmmm....Bubbles!!!!!

Speed to First Woot: 0m 43.002s
First Sucker: HitAnyKey42

That's jumping right in with both feet.

CT

cheron98

rjquillin wrote:That's jumping right in with both feet.

We MAY have known it was coming...

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
cheron98 wrote:Why yes, these will be served at the Wootception. The question is, will you be there?

Why yes, yes I will

Been a while since we've seen a black tie offering!

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

I was just dreaming of an Iron Horse offering yesterday. Is this still a dream?

Any experience with the summer cuvée out there? How does it compare with the others?

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
cheron98 wrote:We MAY have known it was coming...

What? Who'd have guessed that?!
Wish I could taste it first...still expensive even at the woot price. Although I do love Iron Horse.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

Still trying to adjust to numbers for sparklies, but this sounds quite sweet. Do I not understand, or is this a typo?

...the equivalent of ten grams of sugar per 100 ml of wine...

CT

cheron98

klezman wrote:What? Who'd have guessed that?!
Wish I could taste it first...still expensive even at the woot price. Although I do love Iron Horse.

It really jumped out at me on the website as being something different that I really just had to try. Note that there were no barrels used in the process - this is a stainless operation, so it's going to be a much crisper bubbly, with less of the overtones of vanilla and cream that you get from barrels. The fruit should really be accentuated in this, and should be just a lovely expression of the wines.

Not that Joy makes anything that can't be called a lovely expression

Also, this is a limited release wine, so we're very fortunate to be able to get our grubby little paws on it!

cheron98

rjquillin wrote:Still trying to adjust to numbers for sparklies, but this sounds quite sweet. Do I not understand, or is this a typo?

...the equivalent of ten grams of sugar per 100 ml of wine...

Residual Sugar: 0.66 g/100ml

What new math are you using?

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
cheron98 wrote:Residual Sugar: 0.66 g/100ml

He saw the same thing I did, but I think that must be the dosage RS. 10% RS, but used only something like 40 mL per bottle works out about right.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

cheron98 wrote:Residual Sugar: 0.66 g/100ml

Directly from the description in features:
The juice slowly ferments in stainless steel tanks at 62° to 65° f retaining bright fruit aromas and flavors in the wine. The dosage for the 2009 Summer’s Cuvée is 42mls of a 10 Brix Chardonnay LEX - the equivalent of ten grams of sugar per 100 ml of wine, blended with the 2011 Rued Chardonnay.
Like I said, still trying to understand the numbers.

CT

cheron98

klezman wrote:He saw the same thing I did, but I think that must be the dosage RS. 10% RS, but used only something like 40 mL per bottle works out about right.

Yes, that's correct according to the tech sheet which I'm too lazy to link to. The final RS of the wine is clearly stated both here and on the winery tech sheet at .66g / 100ml

cheron98

rjquillin wrote:Directly from the description in features:
The juice slowly ferments in stainless steel tanks at 62° to 65° f retaining bright fruit aromas and flavors in the wine. The dosage for the 2009 Summer’s Cuvée is 42mls of a 10 Brix Chardonnay LEX - the equivalent of ten grams of sugar per 100 ml of wine, blended with the 2011 Rued Chardonnay.

Yeah that's just the dosage.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

Brix usually refers to "at harvest" not "Residual Sugar" - on the other hand this would be too low for "at harvest" - hmmz.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

siwbm

quality posts: 5 Private Messages siwbm

Uh oh.

I had seen these on an email blast from Iron Horse, and was curious. For Woot pricing, I am even more curious.

Can I be strong?

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

I caved:

Speed to first woot: 0m 43.002s
First sucker:HitAnyKey42
Last wooter to woot:JOATMON
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Summertime + Sparkling + Something new + Iron Horse = easy buy!

Last wooter to woot:tytiger58

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:Why yes, these will be served at the Wootception. The question is, will you be there?

I will!

And I will savor this before.

Iron Horse Summer's Cuvée (2)

Speed to first woot: 0m 43.002s
First sucker: HitAnyKey42
Last wooter to woot: MarkDaSpark
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

Does this have the stuffing to compete, if not laugh in the face of, Champagne? Especially for the 'what recession' asking price?

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
lassow wrote:Does this have the stuffing to compete, if not laugh in the face of, Champagne? Especially for the 'what recession' asking price?

Iron Horse Sparklies laugh repeatedly in their faces!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Will be checking with Joy on this subject. Expect some answers first thing in the a.m.

thanks,

rjquillin

Winedavid39 wrote:Will be checking with Joy on this subject. Expect some answers first thing in the a.m.

thanks,

No need WD, after getting thumped by others last night and rereading the description, the math works out just fine. It seems the dosage raised a 0.1g/100ml RS base to the final level of 0.66g/100ml with this addition of 0.56g/100ml.
I should know better than to attempt higher math in an addled state after extended tastings.

CT

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
rjquillin wrote:No need WD, after getting thumped by others last night and rereading the description, the math works out just fine. It seems the dosage raised a 0.1g/ml RS base to the final level of 0.66g/ml with this addition of 0.56g/ml.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, your numbers are off. The specs say 0.66 g/100 ml, or about 100X lower sugar than you list.

This would qualify as brut or extra brut, yes?

rjquillin

moondigger wrote:Unless I'm missing something obvious, your numbers are off. The specs say 0.66 g/100 ml, or about 100X lower sugar than you list.

This would qualify as brut or extra brut, yes?

Fixed that, clearly I needed coffee as well.

CT

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000

Any thoughts on drinking windows? I have plenty of bubbly and am willing to purchase if it can hold for a future celebration

guzmantis

quality posts: 6 Private Messages guzmantis

Never met an Iron Horse sparkler I didn't like. Can't wait to give this one a try!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
emmabean2000 wrote:Any thoughts on drinking windows? I have plenty of bubbly and am willing to purchase if it can hold for a future celebration

Well, pretty much EVERY sparkly that Joy makes can be held for a minimum of 5 years. And often times a good amount longer than that. Is that enough hold time for your future celebrations?
And if you ask ddeuddeg & bahwm (and others), I'm sure they will tell you that they've drank many a well-aged Iron Horse.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
emmabean2000 wrote:Any thoughts on drinking windows? I have plenty of bubbly and am willing to purchase if it can hold for a future celebration

Not sure about this exact offering, but I've recently drank through at least a case of 2006 Iron Horse Vintage Brut from my LWS and keep going back for more. Great stuff and no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Told myself I wasn't buying anything until after the Quivet cab release later this month but don't think I'll be able to resist...

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
HitAnyKey42 wrote:And if you ask ddeuddeg & bahwm (and others), I'm sure they will tell you that they've drank many a well-aged Iron Horse.

Sounds like you must have read my story about the '91 Wedding Cuvée that was poorly stored for years until we finally drank it not too long before the 2008 rpm tour, and it was still heavenly.
This is a better deal than I can get as a club member, even better with the shipping. Guess I'll have to have them ship it to our niece.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

Of course I'll be there, but do you really expect me to wait until then to taste this latest Nectar of the Gods from Iron Horse? Don't be daft!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04

Is this a dry or sweet sparkling?

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Agghh! With all I have going on this summer...money flying out....me not working.......I want this...but can I justify buying it now...esp with the wootception and whatever else I pick up while I'm out that way????? Hmmmmm.

ddeuddeg

jelliott04 wrote:Is this a dry or sweet sparkling?

The numbers and the winemaker both say dry.

ddeuddeg

mommadeb1 wrote:Agghh! With all I have going on this summer...money flying out....me not working.......I want this...but can I justify buying it now...esp with the wootception and whatever else I pick up while I'm out that way????? Hmmmmm.

Not trying to sell you on this or anything, but it is an IH bubbly. You could think of it as a way to help regulate how much you can afford to spend while you're out there. And they'll deliver it right to your door.

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04
ddeuddeg wrote:The numbers and the winemaker both say dry.

Darn! I was trying not to buy so I was hoping it was sweet. LOL

joyironhorse

quality posts: 50 Private Messages joyironhorse
rjquillin wrote:No need WD, after getting thumped by others last night and rereading the description, the math works out just fine. It seems the dosage raised a 0.1g/100ml RS base to the final level of 0.66g/100ml with this addition of 0.56g/100ml.
I should know better than to attempt higher math in an addled state after extended tastings.

Good Morning all. Happy July 3rd! Summer's Cuvee is at the very low end of the brut scale ... not quite an extra brut, but darn close.