InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
mother wrote:*cough*

Well, I guess if you're a Buffalo-centric sort, it might be possible to miss such a thing.

edit: Hey!

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

dang double-post!

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Just not sure about this one

Wine-soaked popcorn latest trend in pricey, healthy snacking

Artisan popcorn maker Populence teamed up with the New Zealand winery Kim Crawford to create two new wine-soaked popcorn flavors: Pinot Noir Chocolate Drizzle and Sauvignon Blanc Kettle, ABC-News reported.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bahwm wrote:Ah, there we have it! Icewine tasting! We've had wooters come out this way from California for the Icewine festival in January. Javadrinker, not often seen in the pub these days, and Sparky even made it to a special tasting in uber frigid temps in Chicago. Those temps were cold for us, too! Justplainjulie & her hubby showed up this year from Texas. And, they're still alive!

You forgot zTimBz came out with us to Chicago. And I've even been to Buffalo! Although not when it's cold!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:You forgot zTimBz came out with us to Chicago. And I've even been to Buffalo! Although not when it's cold!!!

And yet you never made it to Michigan, which is arguably one of the nicest places to visit in summer. And I always made sure to hold gatherings in fair weather!

Except for the one in December but that was for my birthday and I didn't have much choice

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
mother wrote:*cough*

Yeah, well that was Ohio. They're sort of on the Eastern edge of Tornado Alley, but even for Ohio, that was a freak storm. Still, that was 200 miles from here.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:You forgot zTimBz came out with us to Chicago. And I've even been to Buffalo! Although not when it's cold!!!

Nobody forgot zTimBz. It's just that he wasn't constantly complaining/worrying about the cold weather. At least not on the Pub.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Nobody forgot zTimBz. It's just that he wasn't constantly complaining/worrying about the cold weather. At least not on the Pub.

he also didn't arrive wearing boat shoes....

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:And yet you never made it to Michigan, which is arguably one of the nicest places to visit in summer. And I always made sure to hold gatherings in fair weather!

Except for the one in December but that was for my birthday and I didn't have much choice

You moved before I could!!!

Besides, I still would have had to fly into Detroit!!!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Nobody forgot zTimBz. It's just that he wasn't constantly complaining/worrying about the cold weather. At least not on the Pub.

That's cause he's hardly here!!! And he's the Delicate Flower!

And like mommadeb says, anything under 70° (for Calif anyway) is freezing!!! 80° if you listen to my mom.

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:he also didn't arrive wearing boat shoes....

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... I told you I forgot my snowshoes in the rush to get to the airport!!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
rjquillin wrote:Just not sure about this one

Wine-soaked popcorn latest trend in pricey, healthy snacking

Artisan popcorn maker Populence teamed up with the New Zealand winery Kim Crawford to create two new wine-soaked popcorn flavors: Pinot Noir Chocolate Drizzle and Sauvignon Blanc Kettle, ABC-News reported.

that just sounds nasty!!

mommadeb1

Proud Momma moment: daughter got a 4 on her first AP test!!!! yea!!! not bad for being a freshman in HS!!

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 16 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
mommadeb1 wrote:Proud Momma moment: daughter got a 4 on her first AP test!!!! yea!!! not bad for being a freshman in HS!!

Congratulations! My son will be taking his first 2 AP classes this year. Right now it's all about the Latin. Studying for NJCL competition in a few weeks.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
polarbear22 wrote:Planning to smoke a picnic shoulder and pork butt. A little off in size, picnic is about 4.5 lbs and butt is nearly 9 lbs. Thinking that the larger one on top will be hotter and cook faster? Am I correct?

snip

Well, how long did the pork butt take? I'm going to make some this weekend, and they'll probably be around 12# each (planning on 2 as we're having a picnic for work).

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mommadeb1

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Congratulations! My son will be taking his first 2 AP classes this year. Right now it's all about the Latin. Studying for NJCL competition in a few weeks.

good luck!!! I don't know who is more stressed ...the kids or me?

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:Proud Momma moment: daughter got a 4 on her first AP test!!!! yea!!! not bad for being a freshman in HS!!

Congrats. And so early.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

otolith wrote:Well, how long did the pork butt take? I'm going to make some this weekend, and they'll probably be around 12# each (planning on 2 as we're having a picnic for work).

I did it at 225. Took out after seven hours at 170-175 degrees. Too soon. (One recipe said at 160 degrees.) The on-line recipes that recommend more like 185 are more like it. Another hour and a half in the oven, of which 30 minutes was to get it back up to 170. Much better. Mine was just under nine pounds, and would have planned at 8 - 8.5 hours for best results.

I have only sampled as we pulled it, and it was very tasty. Tonight we get it with sauce in a sandwich. With sangria.

Also, did you find it a real bear to clean the smoker? I thought this - wipe with a damp cloth - meant it would be easy.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:Congrats. And so early.

thanks!

polarbear22

OK, tonight we had the smoked pork I made yesterday. It was wonderful. But what made the night was what our friend's future daughter-in-law's brother brought for a bottle of wine. He asked a co-worker at ESPN for a wine recommendation. Co-worker told him he had an extra bottle back at the hotel room, and provided a Belle Glos Pinot Noir (2011 Dairyman Vineyard) for us. Oh, and that was Nomar Garciaparra.

Hell, it could have been plonk and we would have been excited that we had a bottle of wine from Nomar. But beyond that, this is excellent PN and went very well with the pulled pork.

Makes for a story that will last for a while, and a great meal.

My Cellar

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:You moved before I could!!!

Besides, I still would have had to fly into Detroit!!!

You had years to make it. And the airport is in Romulus, not Detroit

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

For anybody who may have made the connection, I was not on the Asiana flight 214 from Seoul that crashed. I have taken that very flight many times in the past, but not today.

We (my division) had three people on the flight that we are aware of, including Daniel Eun, the Samsung executive that is being quoted in the press. All three are OK.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

otolith

JOATMON wrote:For anybody who may have made the connection, I was not on the Asiana flight 214 from Seoul that crashed. I have taken that very flight many times in the past, but not today.

We (my division) had three people on the flight that we are aware of, including Daniel Eun, the Samsung executive that is being quoted in the press. All three are OK.

Holy Crap! Must be scary to think about.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

polarbear22

JOATMON wrote:For anybody who may have made the connection, I was not on the Asiana flight 214 from Seoul that crashed. I have taken that very flight many times in the past, but not today.

That is good news, about you and your co-workers. Glad that you all are safe.

My Cellar

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

I was thinking about you. Glad to hear that you and your co-workers are okay. Scary indeed. And none of my family members were on that flight as well. Had to call Korea to double check.

bahwm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages bahwm

Joat, thank you for the update. I am so happy that you and your division are all
OK.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Joatmon pm for you.

otolith

polarbear22 wrote:I did it at 225. Took out after seven hours at 170-175 degrees. Too soon. (One recipe said at 160 degrees.) The on-line recipes that recommend more like 185 are more like it. Another hour and a half in the oven, of which 30 minutes was to get it back up to 170. Much better. Mine was just under nine pounds, and would have planned at 8 - 8.5 hours for best results.

I have only sampled as we pulled it, and it was very tasty. Tonight we get it with sauce in a sandwich. With sangria.

Also, did you find it a real bear to clean the smoker? I thought this - wipe with a damp cloth - meant it would be easy.

I think you want to go higher on the temp, next time. I plan on wrapping in foil when they hit 140 or so. I'm smoking pork butt as we speak. Will throw some salmon in later, as it is brining now.

It's a PITA to clean. I usally wipe the glass and sides. It seems to work better when it is still warm. This is also why I covered the bottom drip tray in foil.

--John Muir

polarbear22

otolith wrote:I think you want to go higher on the temp, next time. I plan on wrapping in foil when they hit 140 or so. I'm smoking pork butt as we speak. Will throw some salmon in later, as it is brining now.

It's a PITA to clean. I usally wipe the glass and sides. It seems to work better when it is still warm. This is also why I covered the bottom drip tray in foil.

Let me know how salmon goes. Want to try that soon. I will try to clean warm next time, though at 92 degrees out, it wasn't oo cold.

I did wrap in foil after five hours.

My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
polarbear22 wrote:Let me know how salmon goes. Want to try that soon. I will try to clean warm next time, though at 92 degrees out, it wasn't oo cold.

are you supposed to clean the inside? I just clean the racks and the water pan and the drip tray. Though I'm going to start wrapping that in foil. I never do anything with the walls.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
bhodilee wrote:are you supposed to clean the inside? I just clean the racks and the water pan and the drip tray. Though I'm going to start wrapping that in foil. I never do anything with the walls.

What you describe + the occasional brushing off of interior (if/when loose, flaky, soot starts developing) is what I'm familiar with.

One thing to keep in mind is how differently shiny metal cooks, and since you three all have the same brand of electric smoker, perhaps the control boxes on those specific units have trouble dealing with a soot-coated smoke box?

polarbear22

Next adventure. Infused liquor. Starting simple with lemon vodka and lime vodka. Pepper vodka will be in another month or so when the peppers come in. I did do a ginger vodka last year. Came out OK.

Anyone have a great infusion to share?

My Cellar

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen
polarbear22 wrote:Next adventure. Infused liquor. Starting simple with lemon vodka and lime vodka. Pepper vodka will be in another month or so when the peppers come in. I did do a ginger vodka last year. Came out OK.

Bowtie infused beer.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
polarbear22 wrote:Let me know how salmon goes. Want to try that soon. I will try to clean warm next time, though at 92 degrees out, it wasn't oo cold.

I've done a few salmon recently and thrived turned out great. Did a mojito cured fillet and a beet/horseradish cured fillet. I definitely enjoyed the beet/horseradish more. Great color and fantastic flavor

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
polarbear22 wrote:Next adventure. Infused liquor. Starting simple with lemon vodka and lime vodka. Pepper vodka will be in another month or so when the peppers come in. I did do a ginger vodka last year. Came out OK.

Did a coffe liquor a few years ago. I forget everything that went into it, but I remember vodka, coffee, sugar, and vanilla beans. I let them infuse for about a month, then jarred into smaller containers for Xmas gifts. Tasted like a "hot" Kahlua.

Had some friends do bits (all separated by color into different containers), said they tasted great. Sounds too sweet for me.

mommadeb1

scary! glad you were not on that flight....

mommadeb1

CAGrl wrote:I was thinking about you. Glad to hear that you and your co-workers are okay. Scary indeed. And none of my family members were on that flight as well. Had to call Korea to double check.

glad to hear none of your family was on that flight!!

otolith

I wrapped in foil after 3-4 hours, I can't remember, and let it go for another 4-5 hours. Heck, I think it cooked for 9-10 hours. The one I wrapped, is pretty good, but the one that I put in the pan that was catching all the drippings and then just covered in foil, that turned out awesome!

For the salmon, I brined for 1-1/2 hours, then washed it off and soaked it in water for another 3 hours. Damped it dry, then covered with brown sugar. Put some applewood chips in the smoker, and let it go for 1:20 or so, probably just a little to long. It was delicious, but some parts were a little dry. Used Atlantic farm raised salmon, with skin off, placed on parchment paper on a cookie sheet on the top shelf. Can't wait to try the honey smoked salmon recipe.

--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

chipgreen wrote:Bowtie infused beer.

I think there are laws against that.