JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

You can't count on me to start the pub every week. I travel just too darn much.

For instance, last week at this time I was in the middle of a meeting less than 50 miles from one of the most repressive countries on earth. Makes me glad for the freedoms we enjoy here.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

CAGrl wrote:Thanks everyone for the well-wishes. I'm open to any and all opportunities. Self pity party and wallowing for now but starting tomorrow, I will have to get my butt in gear and start searching for a job. And packing to move to a new place by the end of July.

OK, so I've lost track a bit here. Where are you now, where are you moving, and are you looking for work in the Sf Bay Area?

(as of 2011-03-02)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 169 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
JOATMON wrote:You can't count on me to start the pub every week. I travel just too darn much.

For instance, last week at this time I was in the middle of a meeting less than 50 miles from one of the most repressive countries on earth. Makes me glad for the freedoms we enjoy here.

Tonight was the B-day celebration with la famiglia. Sorry you were forced to start the Pub!

Good title, since I think we used "I met my Waterloo at Wellington" a while back.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:yup. right. sure. we believe you, PSquishy

ThunderThighs wrote:

rjquillin wrote:Here, or in real life?
I can claim once, many many many years ago.

Of course he's never been in Probation, but he's been on it!!! Many, many times.

TT used the perfect emoticon for his post!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of July 1

Happy Independence Day, Everyone! Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

July
7/13: SoCal #27: Sparky & zTimBz Wine Locker Redux (Sukieasa in town)
7/20: NorCal #19: Theme Still Under Discussion

August
8/3: NorCal #?: WineSmith BBQ in Santa Rosa
8/3: Minnesota #21 8-3-13
8/10: Omaha #1: Is there critical mass?
8/10 & 8/17: zTimBz's Bday / SoCal #28 - If we open them, he will come
8/24: The Wootception!!!

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

I love a 2 day work week!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

CAGrl wrote:Thanks everyone for the well-wishes. I'm open to any and all opportunities. Self pity party and wallowing for now but starting tomorrow, I will have to get my butt in gear and start searching for a job. And packing to move to a new place by the end of July.

That sucks. Have you ever thought about hanging your own shingle?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm

quality posts: 24 Private Messages bahwm
JOATMON wrote:You can't count on me to start the pub every week. I travel just too darn much.

Thank you, joat. A few years back, I went to Venezuela to do some additional studies. I was in a small city. Transportation strikes just sort of happened and the military rode through the streets with full automatic weapons clearly visible as quite a number of young soldiers were in the back of the trucks--and it was NOT a holiday! So, it was just a little unnerving.

I, too, am glad for the freedoms that we enjoy here. As soon as we disembarked the plane and saw the sign in the Miami airport that said "Welcome to the United States", tears came to my eyes. I was glad to be home.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
mother wrote:Nevermind, I'm sure HaKs mom chilled them down really fast.

I feel I should clarify, having re-read what I posted. The transportation was done by HAK's mom. The steaming and quick-chill to prepare for transport as well as the packaging for transport was done by the professionals at the dock.

Fear not.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:I feel I should clarify, having re-read what I posted. The transportation was done by HAK's mom. The steaming and quick-chill to prepare for transport as well as the packaging for transport was done by the professionals at the dock.

Fear not.

Indeed. If there were something to fear, you'd probably have felt it by now.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ddeuddeg wrote:Indeed. If there were something to fear, you'd probably have felt it by now.

I just want to know who clarified the butter. That's what's keeping me up. We clarified everything except THE BUTTER!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
JOATMON wrote:OK, so I've lost track a bit here. Where are you now, where are you moving, and are you looking for work in the Sf Bay Area?

We're currently living in Palo Alto, will be moving to Campbell by the end of the month. And yes, looking for work in the SF Bay area.

CAGrl

otolith wrote:That sucks. Have you ever thought about hanging your own shingle?

I don't think so. I don't have the confidence that I can do it for one. For another, I don't have a mentor who would help me and give me some business.

CAGrl

bhodilee wrote:I just want to know who clarified the butter. That's what's keeping me up. We clarified everything except THE BUTTER!

Love clarified butter!!!!

bhodilee

CAGrl wrote:Love clarified butter!!!!

ghee, I love it too

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

Vaguely on the topic of jobs. I'd finally gotten around to making a profile on linkedin recently. Now a coworker has sent a friend request. If I'm thinking about looking for another job, should I not accept the request?

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 153 Private Messages rjquillin
zTimothyBz wrote:Vaguely on the topic of jobs. I'd finally gotten around to making a profile on linkedin recently. Now a coworker has sent a friend request. If I'm thinking about looking for another job, should I not accept the request?

Why the account if you don't expand your network?

CT

CAGrl

mommadeb1 wrote:moving stress on top of non job stress?!! poor poor you!!

edit: oops.. broke my streak of 2 weeks not posting in old site!!

Hahaha. We'll be okay. It'll save us money on rent.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

well, I just ruined my streak of posting in the current pub! oh well....at least I figured it out!!

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Why the account if you don't expand your network?

Cause he doesn't want the co-worker to know he's thinking about a new job, duh!

Tim, does it keep the request? You can always accept it later.

MarkDaSpark

mommadeb1 wrote:well, I just ruined my streak of posting in the current pub! oh well....at least I figured it out!!

It's the ones that do it tomorrow that are the troublemakers!!!

klezman

quality posts: 114 Private Messages klezman
CAGrl wrote:We're currently living in Palo Alto, will be moving to Campbell by the end of the month. And yes, looking for work in the SF Bay area.

Campbell? That's far

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:I have never been in probation.

To be fair, mine was for posting a referral link in the deals thread back when some mods got all annoyed about that. I think it was shortly post-mothership-takeover.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bahwm

klezman wrote:To be fair, mine was for posting a referral link in the deals thread back when some mods got all annoyed about that. I think it was shortly post-mothership-takeover.

I got it for something like that right before a trip--can't remember which one, but I was not a happy camper!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ddeuddeg

klezman wrote:Campbell? That's far

Far! About a 7 hour commute to the Bay area. Each way.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

kylemittskus

quality posts: 225 Private Messages kylemittskus
klezman wrote:To be fair, mine was for posting a referral link in the deals thread back when some mods got all annoyed about that. I think it was shortly post-mothership-takeover.

A sin is a sin.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ddeuddeg

kylemittskus wrote:A sin is a sin.

Let the one who is without sin cast the first stone.

otolith

CAGrl wrote:I don't think so. I don't have the confidence that I can do it for one. For another, I don't have a mentor who would help me and give me some business.

Charge 1/2 of what you did, and put an add on Craigslist with your email/cell #. Meet at a coffee shop (you must have a few of those out there), or else even meet at their place of work/business. A true concierge service! Try it a few times. You may find that it works well, and you may be able to build something from there.

I understand, however, that it is easier said than done.

--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

But I was Innocent!! Innocent I Say!!!

mother

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mother

I've never been on probation here. Yet.

bahwm

On another note, planning for this trip is driving me crazy! There are soooo many options out there for this, that and the other thing: transportation, museum passes, audio guides that can be loaded to ones' smartphone--of course, all at varying prices!

Back to the phone thing, has anyone ever bought one of the SIM cards at the airport abroad for their own unlocked cheapo phone? If so, how did that work?

mother

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mother
bahwm wrote:
Back to the phone thing, has anyone ever bought one of the SIM cards at the airport abroad for their own unlocked cheapo phone? If so, how did that work?

I've purchased at the airport down in Costa Rica, and it worked really well. The people at the kiosk even helped put the SIM cards in and made sure they worked.

A little googling will help you sus out if there is a bad premium to be paid for the convenience of getting it at the airport.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 225 Private Messages kylemittskus
ddeuddeg wrote:Let the one who is without sin cast the first stone.

I'm out!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee

kylemittskus wrote:I'm out!

me too, I got probation for calling someone the twitter feed on the right a water cooler. In my defense, he was obviously a hipster water cooler.

ddeuddeg

To klezman and everyone else who might be celebrating today:

polarbear22

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polarbear22
bahwm wrote:On another note, planning for this trip is driving me crazy! There are soooo many options out there for this, that and the other thing: transportation, museum passes, audio guides that can be loaded to ones' smartphone--of course, all at varying prices!

In the UK first trip we got a SIM card from a vending machine at Heathrow. Worked fine, but I did buy more time than needed. So I loaned the phone and card to a co-worker going to the UK the next month.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:To klezman and everyone else who might be celebrating today:

Don't encourage them, eh?

JOATMON

CAGrl wrote:We're currently living in Palo Alto, will be moving to Campbell by the end of the month. And yes, looking for work in the SF Bay area.

We are hiring. Lots of jobs listed (I can get some sense of where we are headed by the job openings).

One of the openings is for a patent attorney. Is that in your wheelhouse?

(as of 2011-03-02)

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:Don't encourage them, eh?

Remember, you're talking about my neighbors.

klezman

ddeuddeg wrote:To klezman and everyone else who might be celebrating today:

Thanks, eh?
Maybe I should open a bottle of Canadian wine tonight!