WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Domaine Pouillon Washington White Blend (5)

Speed to First Woot:
1h 7m 12.558s
First Sucker:
divadrabnud
Last Wooter to Woot:
rjdiefendorf
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 21% of Wine Woots
Bottom 40% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 19% of Wine Woots
Bottom 38% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 4% first woot
  • 4% second woot
  • 12% < 10 woots
  • 4% < 25 woots
  • 77% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 0% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 8% one month old
  • 4% one year old
  • 88% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 96% bought 1
  • 4% bought 2
  • 0% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

0%
4%
4%
0%
0%
0%
4%
4%
15%
8%
0%
0%
4%
15%
15%
4%
0%
12%
4%
0%
0%
4%
4%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1559 Private Messages Cesare

Domaine Pouillon Washington White Blend 5-Pack
$69.99 $̶1̶1̶2̶.̶0̶0̶ 38% off List Price
2011 Deux White Blend, Columbia Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

If someone from the winery pops in, can we get some specs, please? Oak? pH? TA? MLF?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

The write up sounds nice, and I was hoping for a nice acidic crisp white, but the noted creamy finish leads me to believe my wife would not like it. Is this medium or light bodied? And what you recommend this gets paired with.

CT

domainepouillon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages domainepouillon

Oak treatment: 100% neutral french oak barrels, fermented and aged for 10 months.
pH:3.65
TA:5.3g/L
MLF: yes
Viognier and Chardonnay fermented and barrel aged separately, then blended to allow for maximum balance and aging ability.

kylemittskus wrote:If someone from the winery pops in, can we get some specs, please? Oak? pH? TA? MLF?

kylemittskus

domainepouillon wrote:Oak treatment: 100% neutral french oak barrels, fermented and aged for 10 months.
Viognier and Chardonnay fermented and barrel aged separately, then blended to allow for maximum balance and aging ability.

Thanks. 100% MLF, I assume?

domainepouillon

cortot20 wrote:The write up sounds nice, and I was hoping for a nice acidic crisp white, but the noted creamy finish leads me to believe my wife would not like it. Is this medium or light bodied? And what you recommend this gets paired with.

Hi Cortot20. Acidic crisp white this is not. It's also not a flabby, overdone, heavy chardonnay blend. The Chardonnay comes from Underwood Mountain (a section of our AVA that produces some of the best chardonnay in the Northwest) and is know for its mineral notes and acidity. The Viognier from the Horse Heaven Hills AVA helps balance the chardonnay's mineral tones with ripe peach pit flavor and that burst of anjou pear we mentioned. A dry white that pairs well with bitter frisee greens, poached egg and crisp bacon salad or sticky rotisserie chicken.

domainepouillon

kylemittskus wrote:Thanks. 100% MLF, I assume?

Yes, 100%. We find this wine can handle the MLF and it helps the bottle stability.

kylemittskus

domainepouillon wrote:Hi Cortot20. Acidic crisp white this is not.

Thanks, also, for being upfront in this answer and not trying to talk your way around the question to please everyone.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
domainepouillon wrote:Oak treatment: 100% neutral french oak barrels, fermented and aged for 10 months.

The last time I had a Chard/Viognier blend, it was from Louis Latour, and I really loved it, so I'm very interested in this, especially considering its pedigree. You brought up aging ability, which is a concern, since we're going to be away from home much of this summer. Not that we'd have to drink it during the summer by any means, but what's your thought on how it would be a year from now?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Thanks for joining us! I've sent these specs on so they can be added to the sale later.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

A friend gave me a bottle of this a few days ago, but I've had a cold for the past week that won't go away. Can't drink on these meds or leave the bed for more than a few minutes.

Wish I could give you guys more.

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20
domainepouillon wrote:Hi Cortot20. Acidic crisp white this is not. It's also not a flabby, overdone, heavy chardonnay blend. The Chardonnay comes from Underwood Mountain (a section of our AVA that produces some of the best chardonnay in the Northwest) and is know for its mineral notes and acidity. The Viognier from the Horse Heaven Hills AVA helps balance the chardonnay's mineral tones with ripe peach pit flavor and that burst of anjou pear we mentioned. A dry white that pairs well with bitter frisee greens, poached egg and crisp bacon salad or sticky rotisserie chicken.

It sounds delicious but I have made the mistake of buying non crisp heavier whites and they simply dont get consumed in our house. Thanks for the truthful answer, it's refreshing.

CT

domainepouillon

ddeuddeg wrote:The last time I had a Chard/Viognier blend, it was from Louis Latour, and I really loved it, so I'm very interested in this, especially considering its pedigree. You brought up aging ability, which is a concern, since we're going to be away from home much of this summer. Not that we'd have to drink it during the summer by any means, but what's your thought on how it would be a year from now?

We've been producing this wine for 7 years and the first vintage tastes as good as the last. The balance of pH and TA allows it to wait until you're ready to drink it. MLF also adds stability, however, as we discussed earlier, some of the crisp acidity is removed in this process.

dalematthew

quality posts: 21 Private Messages dalematthew

This actually looks like something my wife may like. I'd be able to confirm this for you guys if there wasn't a slight cluster with Fedex. In short I was out of town, put a hold on at FedEx and rushed down there this morning to get it. Guess what - there is no record of it - at the facility nor online through the tracking number now! A true mystery!!

So apologies all - but I probably will still pick up a set of these.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Even though it is Sunday, hopefully people pop back in here.

I was fortunate enough to get a bottle of this to try out. I'm always sceptical of whites because they seem to hit or miss to me, not much in between. I think it is just a personal preference, but some flavor profiles in whites I find to very off-putting.

This wine definitely fits the bill for me.

Nose: If someone had poored this and told me to try and identify it by nose, my quess would have definitely been Riesling. It has a nice sweet floral nose, with the sweet smell being a combination of pears and mangos. No doubt the floral nose comes from the Viogier, just reminded me of the nose of a Riesling

Color: Pale straw color

Taste: Definitely in the pear, apple, meyer lemon spectrum of things. This fruit is bright and lively but not sweet, I would guess little to no RS here. While previous notes say this is not "crisp acidity" it is no where near flabby. It definitely has a nice minerality and still some good acidity to it. I wouldn't hesitate in the least to serve this with some food, even something as fatty as salmon.

Mouthfeel: There is definitely a nice round mouthfeel to this. But not to the point where it feels heavy or flabby. It coats the mouth well and allows the finish to linger. I like that aspect a lot.

Finish: Nice balanced finish with the acidity overtaking the fruit. Medium finish.

This a nice, reasonably complex white with plenty of refreshing notes to make it a good summer sipper and I think can hold up just fine with most foods.

Those worried about aging, I wouldn't be. This should have no problem going another 2-3 years at a bare minimum and may even gain some additional complexity.

At $15-16 dollar per bottle shipped, this is a pretty solid QPR choice. If I wasn't in the process of cutting back purchases and try to bring my stock back to reasonable levels, I would be in on this.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

If I were buying... Nice note North.

dalematthew

North316 wrote:Even though it is Sunday, hopefully people pop back in here.

I was fortunate enough to get a bottle of this to try out. I'm always sceptical of whites because they seem to hit or miss to me, not much in between. I think it is just a personal preference, but some flavor profiles in whites I find to very off-putting.

This wine definitely fits the bill for me.

Nose: If someone had poored this and told me to try and identify it by nose, my quess would have definitely been Riesling. It has a nice sweet floral nose, with the sweet smell being a combination of pears and mangos. No doubt the floral nose comes from the Viogier, just reminded me of the nose of a Riesling

Color: Pale straw color

Taste: Definitely in the pear, apple, meyer lemon spectrum of things. This fruit is bright and lively but not sweet, I would guess little to no RS here. While previous notes say this is not "crisp acidity" it is no where near flabby. It definitely has a nice minerality and still some good acidity to it. I wouldn't hesitate in the least to serve this with some food, even something as fatty as salmon.

Mouthfeel: There is definitely a nice round mouthfeel to this. But not to the point where it feels heavy or flabby. It coats the mouth well and allows the finish to linger. I like that aspect a lot.

Finish: Nice balanced finish with the acidity overtaking the fruit. Medium finish.

This a nice, reasonably complex white with plenty of refreshing notes to make it a good summer sipper and I think can hold up just fine with most foods.

Those worried about aging, I wouldn't be. This should have no problem going another 2-3 years at a bare minimum and may even gain some additional complexity.

At $15-16 dollar per bottle shipped, this is a pretty solid QPR choice. If I wasn't in the process of cutting back purchases and try to bring my stock back to reasonable levels, I would be in on this.

Thanks for those details - how present is the effect of he MLF (aka buttery aspect). I didn't see if this was oaked or stainless - but didn't see any note of oak overtone in your notes?

Thanks again.

Edit: I did see this - but seemed general - Whites and reds are fermented and aged in French neutral oak barrels using yeast that we have cultured here at Domaine Pouillon

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
dalematthew wrote:Thanks for those details - how present is the effect of he MLF (aka buttery aspect). I didn't see if this was oaked or stainless - but didn't see any note of oak overtone in your notes?

Thanks again.

Edit: I did see this - but seemed general - Whites and reds are fermented and aged in French neutral oak barrels using yeast that we have cultured here at Domaine Pouillon

From the winery above:

dalematthew

trifecta wrote:

I must be losing it. Thanks.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
dalematthew wrote:Thanks for those details - how present is the effect of he MLF (aka buttery aspect). I didn't see if this was oaked or stainless - but didn't see any note of oak overtone in your notes?

Thanks again.

I've never really experienced the "butteriness" that people speak of, since I rarely drink chardonnay. Some note it more in the context of a flavor profile, but I have heard others (rpm and Peter Wellington) not it purely as a mouthfeel. I definitely not get any buttery flavor profiles. As a mouthfeel, maybe some butteriness, just in the way it ever so slightly coats the mouth. I would not consider overly buttery in that regard.

Not really any detectable to oak to me.

Hope this helps.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

dalematthew

North316 wrote:I've never really experienced the "butteriness" that people speak of, since I rarely drink chardonnay. Some note it more in the context of a flavor profile, but I have heard others (rpm and Peter Wellington) not it purely as a mouthfeel. I definitely not get any buttery flavor profiles. As a mouthfeel, maybe some butteriness, just in the way it ever so slightly coats the mouth. I would not consider overly buttery in that regard.

Hope this helps.

It does indeed. Thank you sir.

And congrats on your 100th quality post!

noslensj

quality posts: 41 Private Messages noslensj
North316 wrote:I've never really experienced the "butteriness" that people speak of, since I rarely drink chardonnay. Some note it more in the context of a flavor profile, but I have heard others (rpm and Peter Wellington) not it purely as a mouthfeel. I definitely not get any buttery flavor profiles. As a mouthfeel, maybe some butteriness, just in the way it ever so slightly coats the mouth. I would not consider overly buttery in that regard.

Hope this helps.

My "aha" moment when I identified that was while consuming some of the Nicholson Ranch chardonnay that was offered here a few years ago - early in both my wine-drinking and wine.woot days. (Those coincide pretty closely, right about the time I started to feel a need to expand by Trader Joes shelves.)

I recall that as I was finishing a glass, I had a sensation in my mouth that was similar to the sensation after easting a slice of toast, overly-buttered and with apricot preserves.