Twisted Vine Alexander Valley Zinfandel 4-Pack
$59.99 $̶1̶2̶3̶.̶0̶0̶ 51% off List Price
2009 Twisted Vine Zinfandel, Alexander Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20

Jon, it's good to see another one of your lines here on WW. What's the distinction between these and your inspiration label?

CT

twstdvn

quality posts: 72 Private Messages twstdvn
cortot20 wrote:Jon, it's good to see another one of your lines here on WW. What's the distinction between these and your inspiration label?

Hey there Corto - thanks for the welcome back! A couple of thoughts... this particular Zin comes from the same vineyard, except it has had a ton more barrel age - 3+ years to be exact. As a result the wine is showing extremely well with some really nice spice and vanilla that was picked up from the American Oak.

My goal for TV from now into the future is to use it for more value priced wines. Inspiration will always focus on Sonoma County. TV on the other hand can be used to market small lots from grapes grown from all over California. For example, I'm making my first Tempranillo from a vineyard source just outside of Lodi - the client who wants some for his blend won't use the entire 2 bbls, so I know I'll have a nice value priced Temranillo that I'll need to find a market for and TV seems like the right place.

If you check out my story - I've never been asked on Woot why my username is TWSTDVN - now you know what it means and how dear this name is to me. To be able to finally use it, is a dream come true - and our 2009 Zinfandel offering is the perfect wine to launch on woot under our new label!

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

Jon,

This is scheduled for AM tasting tomorrow. Any thoughts on a brunch pairing?

twstdvn

trifecta wrote:Jon,

This is scheduled for AM tasting tomorrow. Any thoughts on a brunch pairing?

Cool - seriously, given the summer heat right now, I'd slightly chill and serve with either a hearty strata recipe or quiche. Either choice should include some sausage or bacon! Of course, depending on what time this is, going with cold pizza or chilled BBQ chicken isn't a bad choice either!

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

I've been hoping for some of Jon's Zin to show up here. Now it finally has, but with a "Twist". Not sure how I feel about all the extra barrel aging, especially in American oak. Guess I will wait for Trifecta's review....

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

When I saw the new offer was Zin, and one I never heard of, I figured my SIWBM was safe another day. (I have plenty of Zin already.) Now I find out this is Jon's wine... sigh.

Jon, I bought a mixed case during your Tax Relief sale a few months ago. It's mostly the 2008 Zin, which I think is pretty great. If I remember correctly, that used grapes sourced from the same vineyard as this offering. How would you say this wine compares specifically to the 2008 Inspiration Zin?

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

Happened to have a bottle on hand so I popped and poured (yes I know it's only 8:30 am but sacrifices have to be made sometime). First whiff has definite oak and black cherry aroma with a little alcohol. A few swirls and the alcohol disappears and the oak minimizes leaving more dark fruit behind with a hint of ceder.

A fresh pour gives you black cherry, tobacco, and a good amount of oak giving way to raspberry and bitter chocolate on the finish. There was a little heat on this but after a few swirls the oak and alcohol does soften so a decant or vinturi pour would be helpful for those concerned. Color is a deep ruby red with a dash of cocoa or PMS187

I usually like to drink my zins with homemade lasagna bolognese or nice hunter's style stew. Initial thoughts are that I would pour it as is and serve it with a good steak (meat or hearty fish).
I have not tried with food yet, but will conjure up something to pair a little later when hubby awakes from his concert and cheap beer induced coma.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

twstdvn

moondigger wrote:When I saw the new offer was Zin, and one I never heard of, I figured my SIWBM was safe another day. (I have plenty of Zin already.) Now I find out this is Jon's wine... sigh.

Jon, I bought a mixed case during your Tax Relief sale a few months ago. It's mostly the 2008 Zin, which I think is pretty great. If I remember correctly, that used grapes sourced from the same vineyard as this offering. How would you say this wine compares specifically to the 2008 Inspiration Zin?

Good morning Moondigger - I think the biggest difference between the 08 and 09 (w/ more barrel age) is that the 09 has greater weight and density and more vanilla and cedar. There is also slightly more blackberry vs. raspberry coming through on the fruit notes.

As for the extended barrel aging - I think the wine has improved from when I initially bottled it because it has greater complexity, more layers of flavors and nicely integrated tannins.

twstdvn

funbunny wrote:Happened to have a bottle on hand so I popped and poured (yes I know it's only 8:30 am but sacrifices have to be made sometime). First whiff has definite oak and black cherry aroma with a little alcohol. A few swirls and the alcohol disappears and the oak minimizes leaving more dark fruit behind with a hint of ceder.

A fresh pour gives you black cherry, tobacco, and a good amount of oak giving way to raspberry and bitter chocolate on the finish. There was a little heat on this but after a few swirls the oak and alcohol does soften so a decant or vinturi pour would be helpful for those concerned. Color is a deep ruby red with a dash of cocoa or PMS187

I usually like to drink my zins with homemade lasagna bolognese or nice hunter's style stew. Initial thoughts are that I would pour it as is and serve it with a good steak (meat or hearty fish).
I have not tried with food yet, but will conjure up something to pair a little later when hubby awakes from his concert and cheap beer induced coma.

Thanks Funbunny for opening one this am and for your review! Hope to see you during my next trip to IL in November. Cheers!

funbunny

funbunny wrote:

Rooted around the fridge and threw together a frittata of leftover parmesan crusted chicken, garlic mashed potatoes and smoked mozzarella cheese. This really went well with the wine, the tannins and oak paired well with the garlic and the smokiness of the cheese. It's a great food wine and well worth the price.

If you are a fan of Jon's Inspiration Zins, this one may venture down a slightly different path but you definitely won't be disappointed.

zackattackcan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zackattackcan

Is this the same thing? : http://www.luekensliquors.com/wine/domestic/california/red-zinfandel/twisted-2009-new-vine-zinfandel-750ml

klezman

quality posts: 123 Private Messages klezman
zackattackcan wrote:Is this the same thing? : http://www.luekensliquors.com/wine/domestic/california/red-zinfandel/twisted-2009-new-vine-zinfandel-750ml

Nope, not even close. At a glance it's easy to mistake it for any of the other "twisted" labels, though, including our beloved Twisted Oak.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

twstdvn

zackattackcan wrote:Is this the same thing? : http://www.luekensliquors.com/wine/domestic/california/red-zinfandel/twisted-2009-new-vine-zinfandel-750ml

Zackattackcan - Not in the least. The "Twisted" brand is produced in bulk, in California's Central Valley by Delicato Vineyards in Manteca.

This particular wine was produced by me in Santa Rosa, California. Approximately 250 cases were made of this release and the grapes come from a vineyard that I've been using for many years in Alexander Valley, an appellation of Sonoma County.

twstdvn

klezman wrote:Nope, not even close. At a glance it's easy to mistake it for any of the other "twisted" labels, though, including our beloved Twisted Oak.

I LOVE Twisted Oak too! They are an awesome producer - I've been enjoying their wines since they started their winery over 10 years ago.

twstdvn

Just thought of this for you Woot fans of my Zinfandel. If you've never met me, I recently did this video to raise money for a new press I'm buying for this fall.

Check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhnHKkezSvs

This is featuring our Old Vine Zinfandel from our property... Email me for more info on what I'm up to!

Cheers... Jon

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Hi Jon. Nice to see you back on woot. I recently purchased a caee of your 08 inspiration zin and have enjoyed them. I found them a tad raisiny...would u agree? I know you addressed the different flavor profile but i sm curious if the current offer has some of that prune/ raisin note? Also, some have mentioned oakiness. My buds are very sensitive to oak and not a big fan. How perceptible is the oak? Finally, i notice this was bottled a few months ago. How long should it sit in the bottle before it fully integrates? Thanks!

"The older I get the better I was"

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

I was not brave enough to open my bottle early this morning as FunBunny did due to mandatory attendance at our grandson's swim meet - however, we happened to have leftover Spaghetti sauce from last night and decided to make a light Italian lunch.

Upon opening, it poured a dark, garnet color with a powerful nose of fruit - primarily blackberry and I swear I could smell some heat. The first sip had those same elements with a tiny bite, but after a few minutes settled down into a delightful accompaniment to our lunch. The nose became much more restrained with pleasant notes of blackberry, black cherry, and a hint of spice. What was most notable was how it evolved into a very smooth, mellow, well integrated and most delicious zinfandel.

This wine is expertly crafted and I think the almost 40 months aging in the oak imparted a great character to the wine giving just a hint of cedar and spice. Clearly this aging was skillfully managed and in no way was this "oaky". This is one of the best Zinfandels I have tried thus far and at this price I wouldn't hesitate to buy if you are on the fence. I don't think anyone would be disappointed. It needs a bit of air to start but is out and out a bargain today. Cudo's to Twisted Vine on a job well done!

trifecta

Brunch souffle is now on the grill (too hot to bake indoors today, just after noon it is already 92F).

Will report back in an hour or so with some tasting notes with food. Based on the earlier review I slow ox opened a couple hours ago and will pop in the decanter now.

funbunny

I plan on bringing the remainder to a BBQ I'm just heading out he door for. If I get back early enough, I'll post comments from my wine loving friends.

trifecta

2009 Twisted Vine Zinfandel, Alexander Valley
Bottled opened and slow ox'd for 3.5 hours. Poured into decanter for 45 minutes prior to having with brunch souffle. Nose has prominent oak and underlying blackberry notes. Palate is clean and hi toned with strong acid. Oak is restrained, but present on the palate. Tart black raspberry and a bit of vanilla.
Found this to be much better with food than on its own, allowing the acidity to really shine. Picking up sweetness on the front of the palate, not from RS, but the fruit. Definitely some pepper and oak toast on the finish. Medium length.
This is a very drinkable wine that probably would have gone better with BBQ than our brunch, but it is more complex than most in this range. Quite enjoyable after brunch just sitting and sipping.
This is definitely not a lush fruit bomb, but is not fully restrained either. For me the oak influence was a little too much, but I tend to be a bit sensitive to that. SWMBO really enjoyed this.

twstdvn

losthighwayz wrote:Hi Jon. Nice to see you back on woot. I recently purchased a caee of your 08 inspiration zin and have enjoyed them. I found them a tad raisiny...would u agree? I know you addressed the different flavor profile but i sm curious if the current offer has some of that prune/ raisin note? Also, some have mentioned oakiness. My buds are very sensitive to oak and not a big fan. How perceptible is the oak? Finally, i notice this was bottled a few months ago. How long should it sit in the bottle before it fully integrates? Thanks!

HI Losthighwayz - I think this is a very different wine than the 08, or even the 09 for that matter given the long aging. Less on the plumb and raspberry more on the blackberry and spice. Definitely slightly hot on opening, but as been reported, swirl in your glass for a bit and that does blow off.

As for oak sensitivities - hard to judge your palate. I'm also sensitive to oak and don't find this American Oak at all offensive. There are some spice and vanilla notes as a result of the longer aging, but from my palate the oak is a single component to the whole.

As for how long to let it sit in the bottle - I think it's ready now and will still be improving over the next 6 months.

I hope you'll give it a try...
Thank you for your past and continued support!

Cheers... JP

twstdvn

sphervey wrote:This wine is expertly crafted and I think the almost 40 months aging in the oak imparted a great character to the wine giving just a hint of cedar and spice. Clearly this aging was skillfully managed and in no way was this "oaky". This is one of the best Zinfandels I have tried thus far and at this price I wouldn't hesitate to buy if you are on the fence. I don't think anyone would be disappointed. It needs a bit of air to start but is out and out a bargain today. Cudo's to Twisted Vine on a job well done!

Thank you Sphervey for your kind words of support. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Cheers... JP

twstdvn

trifecta wrote:This is a very drinkable wine that probably would have gone better with BBQ than our brunch, but it is more complex than most in this range. Quite enjoyable after brunch just sitting and sipping.
This is definitely not a lush fruit bomb, but is not fully restrained either. For me the oak influence was a little too much, but I tend to be a bit sensitive to that. SWMBO really enjoyed this.

Thanks Trifecta - Your brunch pairing was definitely brave - you need savory for sure... and I do recommend BBQ always!

Thank you for your review and continued support - I totally agree that it is a food wine; that's just how I make'm!

Cheers... JP

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

West coasters up to splitz?

CT

losthighwayz

rjquillin wrote:West coasters up to splitz?

Wanna split this and J Dusi?

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
losthighwayz wrote:Wanna split this and J Dusi?

Missed this, but we can talk Dusi.

CT

losthighwayz

rjquillin wrote:Missed this, but we can talk Dusi.

Saw your post at 9:58! I'm not sure about tonight's offer but J Dusi will be up all week. Lets parlay Dusi with an offer we both like in the next few days and if none then even split on Dusi?