Cesare

quality posts: 1595 Private Messages Cesare

True Fabrications Urban 18-Bottle Wine Rack
$34.99 $̶7̶9̶.̶9̶9̶ 56% off List Price

Website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin

Why?
Why do I stay up for wine, forgetting it's Thursday!

CT

aprilbolin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aprilbolin

Is assembly required? If so, how bad is it?

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 17 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

I do need another rack. Another WINE rack. Currently keeping overflow bottles in stacked shipping boxes, which is a pain when you want to get one out. Invariably it's on the bottom. But you are not sure since you can't see inside. So I am interested.

What is this made of?
Is it sturdy? i would be pretty mad if it all came crashing down with ~$400 worth of wine.

The bigger question might be: Is this (or any other rack) acceptable for short term (drink within the next year) storage, or should I be saving my money for another cooler?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
pseudogourmet98 wrote:I do need another rack. Another WINE rack. Currently keeping overflow bottles in stacked shipping boxes, which is a pain when you want to get one out. Invariably it's on the bottom. But you are not sure since you can't see inside. So I am interested.

What is this made of?
Is it sturdy? i would be pretty mad if it all came crashing down with ~$400 worth of wine.

The bigger question might be: Is this (or any other rack) acceptable for short term (drink within the next year) storage, or should I be saving my money for another cooler?

Where is it going to sit? Most of my wine sits on racks in my basement. It's cool enough that it works fine

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

pseudogourmet98

bhodilee wrote:Where is it going to sit? Most of my wine sits on racks in my basement. It's cool enough that it works fine

Unfortunately there is no basement. Here in FL that would be an indoor swimming pool of sorts. It would be in a closet. A/C runs about 7 months, set at 76.

rjquillin

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Unfortunately there is no basement. Here in FL that would be an indoor swimming pool of sorts. It would be in a closet. A/C runs about 7 months, set at 76.

Depending on how long you anticipate storing before drinking, you need refrigerated racks, some may even rightfully claim you need that now.

CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
pseudogourmet98 wrote:I do need another rack. Another WINE rack. Currently keeping overflow bottles in stacked shipping boxes, which is a pain when you want to get one out. Invariably it's on the bottom. But you are not sure since you can't see inside. So I am interested.

What is this made of?

I would say that 76 may be a tad high for the wine, but if you intend to drink within the next year it should be okay. Just have to be very careful of temperature spikes and from what others have said in the past, the most important thing is not necessarily the temperature itself, but that the temperature remains consistent and is not constantly fluctuation. Constant fluctuation of temperatures can be as damaging to a wine as high heat.

While your condidtions are not ideal, you will probably be fine for any wines you intend to drink in the near future.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

As for this wine rack itself, it looks like it should be sturdy enough. True Fabrications generally puts out pretty solid products, so I wouldn't have much concerns over the quality.

At about $2 per bottle for storage, the price is decent, but this definitely a no thrills wine rack. If you need something better bigger, there are better/cheaper (per bottle) options that can be found, but if you are looking for something in this size range, it looks like a decent deal.

My CT

pseudogourmet98

North316 wrote: If you need something better bigger, there are better/cheaper (per bottle) options that can be found

Do tell, please!

North316

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Do tell, please!

The one that a lot of people around here use that can be found from the mothership (Amazon) is the Oenophilia 60-bottle one. This seems to be one of the best non-refridgerated options and if you are concerned about stability it can be anchored to the wall with two screws.

My CT

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
North316 wrote:The one that a lot of people around here use that can be found from the mothership (Amazon) is the Oenophilia 60-bottle one. This seems to be one of the best non-refridgerated options and if you are concerned about stability it can be anchored to the wall with two screws.

Speaking of per bottle price on storage racks I have used this one. Bigger and strictly wall mount so not exactly comparing apples to apples here but......

http://m.wineenthusiast.com/newui/advsearch.aspx?tmpl=productdisplay&slr_q=*:*&slr_fq=model:214

and this is less than a buck a bottle...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
North316 wrote:The one that a lot of people around here use that can be found from the mothership (Amazon) is the Oenophilia 60-bottle one. This seems to be one of the best non-refridgerated options and if you are concerned about stability it can be anchored to the wall with two screws.

I have 2 of these if anyone in So Cal wants them for half off!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

pseudogourmet98

kylemittskus wrote:I have 2 of these if anyone in So Cal wants them for half off!

Do you offer $5 shipping?

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
kylemittskus wrote:I have 2 of these if anyone in So Cal wants them for half off!

I remember seeing your Amazon review and being surprised that you weren't a fan. They work pretty well for me. I just added 2 more (not pictured), for a total of 12. I especially like them for their stackability.

close-up view

The True Fabrications rack being offered today is a good choice for someone who has a little less wine. Buy 3 and store up to 54 bottles!

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
chipgreen wrote:I remember seeing your Amazon review and being surprised that you weren't a fan. They work pretty well for me. I just added 2 more (not pictured), for a total of 12. I especially like them for their stackability.

close-up view

The True Fabrications rack being offered today is a good choice for someone who has a little less wine. Buy 3 and store up to 54 bottles!

I am envious of your neatness, organization and supply!!!

chipgreen

slm9951 wrote:I am envious of your neatness, organization and supply!!!

Thanks, although the previously clear center area of the room has been overtaken by boxes of wine that didn't fit in the first 10 racks, thus the need for a couple more, although still well short of having enough. Enough racks, that is... I already have enough wine. Not that it will stop me from buying more!

bhodilee

rjquillin wrote:Depending on how long you anticipate storing before drinking, you need refrigerated racks, some may even rightfully claim you need that now.

I would claim that, unless they're consume this year wines. Those'd probably be fine. Probably.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

yup, got a couple in the basement, not even screwed in, never shifted, nothing. wait, you know what, I think I did screw in teh one that had all the Caton and Wellington.

bhodilee

+1

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

What is this made of?

This just in from True Fabrications: Made of power coated iron and there is no assembly.

North316

Winedavid39 wrote:This just in from True Fabrications: Made of power coated iron and there is no assembly.

Powder coat, nice touch. Should be extra durable then.

My CT

chipgreen

Looks like the slats are welded in place so you could probably invert these and hang them from a low ceiling or underneath a cabinet, with the proper anchoring. Would look pretty sweet, especially with the rounded bottom edge (that is normally the top).

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Winedavid39 wrote:This just in from True Fabrications: Made of power coated iron and there is no assembly.

Thanks WD! We've added that info to the sale.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pseudogourmet98

chipgreen wrote:I remember seeing your Amazon review and being surprised that you weren't a fan. They work pretty well for me. I just added 2 more (not pictured), for a total of 12. I especially like them for their stackability.

close-up view

Never thought I would be saying this to a man but "Wow! That is some impressive rack you've got!"

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

close-up view

Nice job!

I'm thinking the next woot gathering should be here

rjquillin

And I of his basement, in which he can house a cellar. Slab dwellers don't have that option.

CT